To Pack or Not to Pack?

Hi Folks,

What do you pack to take along when you go caching?

Me personally... I've got a light canvas backpack that I stock with the following:

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Notebook / Cache List and Notes

- Digital Camera (LOVE to photograph the areas I visit)

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small dog water bowl (GeoBoo goes with me on most of my caches)

- Small bag for CITO

Some items I'm going to add now that I've been on a few hunts (as well as a note to what prompted me!)

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! :D

- First Aid Kit: Thorns and rocks are bad. Very, very bad... :o

- MultiTool: Thorns are bad. Very, very bad... :D

- Towel/Rag: Ford Prefect is a very wise man. ;)

Anyone else have any suggestions or favorite items to tote along?

Tim

Hi Folks,

Me personally... I've got a light canvas backpack that I stock with the following:

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

Some items I'm going to add now that I've been on a few hunts (as well as a note to what prompted me!)

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! :D

Tim

I guess a valid question one might ask would be... how long is this trip?

If it's a local cache that might involve a short walk from the parking lot... or a 2 to 3 mile loop around a lake .vs. a 7 mile round trip hike with 3500' gain.

Two of those would require me to bring my gps and a pen... and nothing else.

The third would be a day pack full of necessary items... or overnight gear if I was spending the night somewhere between the car and the peak.

That's pretty similar to the contents of my geo 'go' bag, a light shoulder pack for quick snags close to the Jeep. A compass, paper area map, notebook and pencil are always part of my kit, too. When we were doing more in-town caches, I added a plastic dental mirror, a ladies' makeup mirror, chopsticks and a length of solid wire. These were valuable a few times for extracting micros or their logs from hard-to-reach places.

Duct tape, laundered hankies, a tiny sliver of soap, tweezers, and a few remedies (sunscreen, bug-off, aspirin, Benadryl, Ibuprofen, caffeine) are also must-haves.

For really short trips, I divide the essentials up and stuff them into cargo pockets, slide a liter bottle of water into a belt-holster, and just go.

Edited by Mule Ears

I agree, pack light. On the quick caches close to parking thats usually all I pack.

I really like the GPS cases HERE I have the larger one, and I can pack everything I'll need to cache.

GPS

Digital Camera

Spare batteries

Mini Mag Flashlight

Lighter

Small pin on compass

Pens/ Pencil

I also pack a PDA, but it can go in a pocket.

All of the above, and other items, like 2-Way radios, sometimes a Laptop computer, spare GPS, amplifying antenna, swag, etc...will fit into a plastic ammo can I got at Wal-Mart, and everything I need to go caching is in that box, self contained, and out of my way.

Edit: Used, too, many, commas.

Edited by Airmapper

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! :o

- First Aid Kit: Thorns and rocks are bad. Very, very bad... ;)

- Towel/Rag: Ford Prefect is a very wise man. :D

Tim

I think your list summed it up very well for me. I used to carry in a daypack full of junk for just about every cache, but like CG, I now take very little with me for most caches. Typically, I'll only have my GPSr, my pda, my camera, a pen, and maybe a bottle of water and trade item or two.

Sadly, I recently removed the collapsible dog bowl out of my pack since I had to have Darby the Wonder Pup put down last fall.

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! :o

Tim

If it's a local cache that might involve a short walk from the parking lot... or a 2 to 3 mile loop around a lake .vs. a 7 mile round trip hike with 3500' gain.

The third would be a day pack full of necessary items... or overnight gear if I was spending the night somewhere between the car and the peak.

Sounds good to me.

But I'm curious who wrote it. :o

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

Tim

Greetings from Raleigh CurmudgeonlyGal. It's been awhile. Kenny
Mini Mag Flashlight
Ouch. Around here, friends don't let friends use minimags. I carry a Fenix P1D-CE, literally ten times brighter than a standard minimag at half the size. It has let me find camo'ed micros tucked deep into bushes when just sunlight and eyeballs weren't enough.

:D I assume these can also serve as a torch/arc welder/fire starter/light saber??? Quite a pricey little light!

Tim D :o

Mini Mag Flashlight
Ouch. Around here, friends don't let friends use minimags. I carry a Fenix P1D-CE, literally ten times brighter than a standard minimag at half the size. It has let me find camo'ed micros tucked deep into bushes when just sunlight and eyeballs weren't enough.

If I could afford one of those, I sure hope I never have to post to this thread about it . . . :D Edited by Miragee
Mini Mag Flashlight

That uses ONE 123A bat and lasts 3 hours???My surefire uses two and lasts an hour. :D

Luckily I've been getting them free for the past 28 months. :o

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

Tim

Sounds good to me.

But I'm curious who wrote it. :o

A ghostwriter, I assure you.

... guess I'll stop signing my posts ...

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

- MultiTool: Thorns are bad. Very, very bad... ;)

Tim

Sounds good to me.

But I'm curious who wrote it. :D

A ghostwriter, I assure you.

... guess I'll stop signing my posts ...

:D

But then we won't know if it's Curmudgeonly certified by michelle!! :o

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! :)

- First Aid Kit: Thorns and rocks are bad. Very, very bad... :lol:

- MultiTool: Thorns are bad. Very, very bad... :)

Tim

I normally take the usual things, but also a couple different ones. Though I've only used it once, I normally carry a katadyn water filter. Also since having an interesting experience with a coyote den, I carry a small blunt object just in case (it's tucked away in my vest, not like a baseball bat!). Perhaps instead of the latter, some bear mace would do, if you're off in the wilderness (bear attacks have become a bit of a problem in the past few months in eastern and central Canada for cyclists); for those like me who hike alone, it's good to have something, I'd imagine.

Staying light is good, but the boy scout in me wants always to "Be Prepared." :-)

(a small bottle of Off has saved me many agonizing bites too, and only weighs a few grammes).

Depending on where you live and your mode of trasportation the supplies would vary.

Here in the desert of Mohave County I take a day or 24 hour pack (approximately 1800 cubic inches) that will give me survival for one or two days. I keep the pack in my truck or ATV depending on which one I am using.

FOOD: oatmeal, hot chocolate mix, power bars, nuts, emergeny purified water (small pkgs), condiments (sugar, pepper, salt) water enhancers (gatorade pkgs), dry pack tuna, crackers, slim jims and before I leave I buy a sausage roll.

SAFETY: knife, compass, matches & fire starter (dryer lint), rope, lip balm, sun tan lotion, signal mirror, beacon light, extra batteries, binoculars (small ones), GPS, FMRS radio or cell phone if you have one.

Small first aid supplies, wet wipes. bug repellent, liquid biodegradeable soap. and yes a tooth brush and tooth paste.(make your own by cutitng a small one). FLASHLIGHT.

CLOTHING: pair of socks, thermal blanket.

TOTAL WEIGHT approximately 20 lbs

In addition to what others wrote, I pack

- a pencil sharpener to fix dull/broken pencils I find

- camera batteries

- water, water, water -- In a CamelBack pack

- hat (my sparse hair dome gets burned easily)

In my car, I also have several pre-made caches ready for a new hiding place I might find,

complete with permanent marker to name them, and the geo-rules sheet, logbook, pen,

and initial sets of trinkets.

Mini Mag Flashlight

Uh hmm...Maglite makes LED flash lights that are designed and manufactured here in the USA. They also can supply spare and replacement parts for their products.

Hmmm i just have 1 thing to say...

For Back country hiking/caching "what if" weighs in at about 20 pound

i learned that in the boyscouts the hard way..

came home after 6 days in norway with only 2 sets of dirty clothes

and half a backpack full of unused stuff :anitongue:

Hmmm i just have 1 thing to say...

For Back country hiking/caching "what if" weighs in at about 20 pound

i learned that in the boyscouts the hard way..

came home after 6 days in norway with only 2 sets of dirty clothes

and half a backpack full of unused stuff :anitongue:

We always have apart from our GPSr:

Map book full of topographic maps

a back pack full of swaps

food for baby ranger

digital camera to record our find & other any nice senes

spare log books & pens

spare ziplog bags for log books

binoculars to see who is around before approaching the cache

LED torch

multi screwdriver for those sealed caches

& a tool box which is complete with cache repair items EG. camo tape, log books, pens, camo bags, cache containers, pliers & pouches for unprotected geocoins & spare batteries.

I don't know about a towel but we have dadgum near everything else. :)

Michael

Edited by ranger family

Oh! And here I thought this was another gun related topic............

We could turn it into one. . .

I carry most of the above plus a Ruger P89.

Normally, it would be my duty to harass the person who brought a "small blunt object" to defend themselves against coyotes, however on most of the other forums I frequent, I would get harassed for carrying a 9MM in the woods, instead of a 44MAG or something more powerful :D

Hi Folks,

- Water

- 8-Pack GPS Food

- Swag items

- Pens

- Small bag for CITO

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! ;)

- First Aid Kit: Thorns and rocks are bad. Very, very bad... :)

- MultiTool: Thorns are bad. Very, very bad... B)

Tim

I totally agree about the camera, it almost isn't worth caching in rural areas without your handy digital camera!

- Flashlight: Yes, I got lost in the woods at night WITH a GPSr on me. NOW I know why it has tracking!!! ;)

Personally, I like to go with the crank flashlight, then no matter what, or where I am, I have the power, don't have to worry about extra batteries etc. Now just waiting for the crank GPS

MY OWN SHARPIE! I always bring my own pen, because most of the time IF the cache can fit a log and IF there is a pen left behind, it is usually just a ballpoint pen. I like my fine tip Sharpie.

As mentioned above, if its a short urban cache I just grab the GPS and my pen. Longer journies, or multiple caches I grab my backpack

~crank flashlight

~water

~tweezers (good for those micros!)

~swag

~geocoins/travel bugs

~GPSr

~river shoes (rather walk through water in those than old tennis shoes)

~first aid kit

~index cards (sometimes a log is wet and ruined, or is full, so I throw a card in)

~towel

~camera

Personally, I like to go with the crank flashlight, then no matter what, or where I am, I have the power, don't have to worry about extra batteries etc. Now just waiting for the crank GPS

I just made sure my flashlight (2-AA), headlamp (1-AA), and GPS receiver (2-AA) all carry the same battery type, and I always try to remember to carry spare batteries.

Most of the time I'm hiking at least a couple of miles, so I've got a 3-day army issue pack with two, one-quart canteens, one on either side, clipped on with ALYCE clips. I have a replacement cap that goes on either canteen that came with a hose and bite valve, making either one a camel back type hydration unit. A pouch for my GPSr and one for my military lensatic compass are clipped on the shoulder straps on the front. That makes the GPSr ride high enough that I don't lose signal in the woods like when it hangs around my neck. I include a nalgene bottle full of dog food for the pups and wrap about twenty yards of parachute cord around the narrow part of the bottle. My other nalgene bottle holds trail mix and has a considerable length of camo duct tape wrapped around it for mending things. An army issue poncho is strapped in the loops on the bottom of the pack for when it rains, but it also makes a pretty quick awning I can string up with some of the parachute cord. Also packed in there is a thing called a "dog canteen" from the local pet store. It looks like an old style round canteen but has one side that screws off and makes its own bowl. The water tight seal lets you pack it along pre-filled. Other than those things I'm carrying some of the same stuff as everyone else: A big ziplock for things to trade, and another with spare log books, pens, pencils, a sharpner, STASH NOTES, batteries, and other cache essentials. I usually have at least one micro (though they suck) and a waterrproof lexan box painted camo, about 8"x8"x4" for a medium cache. There's room in there for food for a day or so if need be, as well as for a regular ammo can cache. A good army surplus store is a true blessing! All this stuff is typically in the pack and in the jeep for when the mood strikes.

Three must have items on any cache are pen, Garmin GPS & Blackberry.

In addition to those items here are the contents of my cache bag:

Flashlight

Extra Batteries

Bottle of Water

Rag

Mini- First Aide Kit

Bug Spray

Sunscreen

Small Garden Shovel

Gloves

Swag Items

Extra Logs

Pens

Sharpie

Geocaching Guideline Sheets

Small Baggies

Compass

Multi-Tool that has pliers, screw drivers, wire cutter etc.

Prev. the camera but was afraid of breaking it on trips in the woods so I opt out and use the blackberry now.

Mesuring Tape

Edited by chasencarz

One .45 caliber automatic;

two boxes of ammunition;

four days concentrated emergency rations;

one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills;

one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible;

one hundred dollars in rubles;

one hundred dollars in gold;

nine packs of chewing gum;

one issue of prophylactics;

three lipsticks;

three pair a nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.