Switching sides in a forum discussion

I've noticed that some geocachers actually switch sides in the forum discussions. :D

Is this because there are too few people argueing one side of the subject?

I'm beginning to think that some geocachers in here are not tooo serious about the discussion, and just like to banter about.

I know there are some that like to play devil's advocate... ;) There are also some that convinced by a good point and change their minds. I have done that on occasion. ;)

I've noticed that some geocachers actually switch sides in the forum discussions. ;)

I'm beginning to think that some geocachers in here are not tooo serious about the discussion, and just like to banter about.

I'd agree that there's a handful of regular posters to this forum that seem to enjoy stirring up angst amongst other geocachers more than geocaching itself. However, if you take them out of the mix, your statement doesn't hold water because overall there's some very informed and good discussion going on here. How many times do you run across an unanswered question in this forum?

I've noticed that some geocachers actually switch sides in the forum discussions. ;)

I think the ability to remain neutral in a conversation, analyze information from all sides, and allow your viewpoint to change according to the logical direction of the facts/opinions presented is a FANTASTIC trait for a person to have, and is crucial for critical thinking.

I can think of some very important folks that could benefit from more critical thinking...

;)

Sometimes I switch sides because I am truly convinced by someone's argument. Sometimes I switch because, for the first time, I really understand what is being said.

Sometimes I switch sides because I'm evil. :laughing:

If I do switch sides, there's a pretty good chance it was not an Earth shattering topic. (Is anything in these forums REALLY important?) And if my original position was based solidly on my world view, I rarely will switch- the basics are not easily changed.

"Like a tree planted by the water..." :laughing:

I've noticed that some geocachers actually switch sides in the forum discussions. :laughing:

That's NOT true!! Nobody has ever switched sides that I've ever seen.

I've been involved in the forums for a long time, and if there was anything like this going on, it would probably be like that one time I saw someone decide they were wrong and switched sides. But that was it.

Well, now that I think about it I remember it happening quite a lot.

I agree with you, I'd like to know why people do this.

I've noticed that some geocachers actually switch sides in the forum discussions. :laughing:

I've been involved in the forums for a long time, and if there was anything like this going on, it would probably be like that one time I saw someone decide they were wrong and switched sides. But that was it.

:laughing:

ROFL

So... what you are saying is.. .for the next 5 minutes you agree with me?

:laughing:

Is this a problem? Changing an opinion based on the analysis of the facts or reason is good, don't you think?

I suspect peer pressure might play into it sometimes and some people are very persuasive and influential.

Some people really like to poke the bear.

The beautiful thing about geocaching, is that there are minimal hard and fast rules in the game itself. So the interpretation of game is open to evolution and change. That's pretty cool if you ask me.

bingo.

conversely, it is possible to agree with part of one argument and part of another, thereby appearing to switch.

it is also possible to take on side in an argument on substance, yet disagree with its presentation or reasoning, thereby also appearing to switch sides.

but let's face it. many of us are here for entertainment. it's best not to take most of this too seriously.

It's kind of alarming to see people lately who seem to find virtue in "picking a side" and then sticking to it regardless of any new facts or information that is presented to them.

remaining open to new ideas and the possibility that your current view may not be the best is a virtue, not a fault. Admitting mistakes and adjusting is a sign of intelligence, not weakness.

I'd imagine the strange quality of steadfastly holding on to one's views once formed while dismissing all other facts or opinions has something to do with the current administration, which has been strongly promoting and practicing this for some time now.

but let's face it. many of us are here for entertainment. it's best not to take most of this too seriously.

Basically.

It's geocaching...not a town meeting.What's there to be serious about in here?Until the thread turns to container selection. :laughing:

The kinds of conversations that I like to get in to on these forums are issues that either aren't all that clear cut for the community or issues that I am still trying to make my own mind up on. If I already have my mind made up on the subject what benefit is the conversation going to be for me? I want to have my idea challenged that way I can either learn something new or validate my ideas or both.

If I personally happen to flip-flop on a subject it either means that I haven't made up my mind yet and I am seeing good arguments from all sides or I don't totally agree with any of the sides presented and I have or am developing a side of my own that may be a combination of some side presented but not fully incorporating any particular side presently represented.

I'd imagine the strange quality of steadfastly holding on to one's views once formed while dismissing all other facts or opinions has something to do with the current administration, which has been strongly promoting and practicing this for some time now.

I see you are back to your old tricks.. For a while there, when I'd see "Bad_CRC", I didn't automatically assume you were going to drag your political opinions into the discussion, but I just needed a reminder that people generally don't change... You can't be accused of not practicing what you preach can you?

Take your political crap somewhere else.

I see you are back to your old tricks.. For a while there, when I'd see "Bad_CRC", I didn't automatically assume you were going to drag your political opinions into the discussion, but I just needed a reminder that people generally don't change... You can't be accused of not practicing what you preach can you?

Take your political crap somewhere else.

Good call actually. I missed that when I posted in this topic. It is a well known policy NOT to drag politics into geocaching discussions. Feel free to take them to the numerous slugfest forums dedicated to that.

I've noticed that some people start threads and then never participate in them. I'm beginning to think that some geocachers in here are not tooo serious about the discussion, and just like to troll :D (just yanking your chain)

I've noticed that some people start threads and then never participate in them. I'm beginning to think that some geocachers in here are not tooo serious about the discussion, and just like to troll :lol: (just yanking your chain)

Whoops.

I was trying to decide if it was time to switch sides yet.

I've noticed that some people start threads and then never participate in them. I'm beginning to think that some geocachers in here are not tooo serious about the discussion, and just like to troll :lol: (just yanking your chain)

Whoops.

I was trying to decide if it was time to switch sides yet.

I've gone from "taste great" to "less filling", so I have changed my position (this may date me a bit).

When people get too serious about any geocaching discussion then its time to start worrying. These discussions are both educational and entertaining, and a good hearty debate can be fun.

It is my philosophy in life in that I trust the people who will say to me that my position is bs, its the ones that always agree with me that I worry about.

As of now, I now longer think derailing a thread is not funny. It is.

I also have switched sides on the moderation thing- I no longer dont not like it.

I do tend to play devils advocate in some discussions while I dont always hold a certain view or side with that view. To the poster, its a point/counter point kind of thing, not so much "well I feel this way" Ive been pursuaded to change my mind on some things, but as was said- its always these forum discussions and not on my basic principles.

also to add- BAD crc BAD (in my best Im mad at my cat voice, stomping my foot) ! :blink:

:rolleyes:

As of now, I now longer think derailing a thread is not funny. It is.

I also have switched sides on the moderation thing- I no longer dont not like it.

I do tend to play devils advocate in some discussions while I dont always hold a certain view or side with that view. To the poster, its a point/counter point kind of thing, not so much "well I feel this way" Ive been pursuaded to change my mind on some things, but as was said- its always these forum discussions and not on my basic principles.

also to add- BAD crc BAD (in my best Im mad at my cat voice, stomping my foot) ! :rolleyes:

:blink:

Mad at a cat?

Who cares?

Certainly not the cat. :D

Or maybe it does...

I think people switch sides because the definition of geocaching isn't a dead butterfly pinned to a piece of cardboard, it is still flying around. New ideas, new approaches, new players and new direction from TPTB means that ideas are constantly in flux. I have changed my mind on many issues for several reasons; feedback from others, points overlooked because they are not pertinent in my area, changes introduced by the TPTB to deal with escalating issues, all of these have caused me to change sides.

I am for the Against For t-sihrts and I am against the For Against t-shirts, perhaps an embroidered cardigan might work better, it would be more popular in areas that have long winters?

If you can't learn (and thus be open for change) from an argument, what is the point of arguing the point?

My goal in pretty much every forum debate in which I participate is not to convince, but to be convinced. If I'm right and I win, it's not a very satisfying victory. If I'm wrong, on the other hand, I want to KNOW that I'm wrong so I can correct my position. Who wants to go around being wrong if you don't have to? I consider losing a debate to be a much more meaningful victory, because the prize is far more valuable.

I WANT to lose debates -- because by losing a debate, not only do I get to correct a personal misconception, I usually also get to join the majority!

It's much easier to be in the majority. Defending an unpopular opinion is fun, but it's hard work.

If you can't learn (and thus be open for change) from an argument, what is the point of arguing the point?

My goal in pretty much every forum debate in which I participate is not to convince, but to be convinced. If I'm right and I win, it's not a very satisfying victory. If I'm wrong, on the other hand, I want to KNOW that I'm wrong so I can correct my position. Who wants to go around being wrong if you don't have to? I consider losing a debate to be a much more meaningful victory, because the prize is far more valuable.

I WANT to lose debates -- because by losing a debate, not only do I get to correct a personal misconception, I usually also get to join the majority!

It's much easier to be in the majority. Defending an unpopular opinion is fun, but it's hard work.

Lawyers win cases all the time when the guy they are defending is guiltier than YNW. Just cause you win an argument doesn't mean you are right... B)

Lawyers win cases all the time when the guy they are defending is guiltier than YNW.

If a defense lawyer successfully clears a defendant who is provably guilty, doesn't that mean the prosecutor was therefore incompetent? B)

Just cause you win an argument doesn't mean you are right... B)

My point exactly. B)

Defending an unpopular opinion is fun, but it's hard work.
Lawyers win cases all the time when the guy they are defending is guiltier than YNW.
If a defense lawyer successfully clears a defendant who is provably guilty, doesn't that mean the prosecutor was therefore incompetent? B)
That is one reason.