Not to offend

Glenn

So... we're a Christian family. Mr Mousekakat is studying to be a priest.

If we were to leave a simple little wooden cross in a cache it would be found as offensive to someone?

Some people are offended by McToys so I guess the answer would be yes.

Would it be a good swag item? Absolutely.

If we were to leave a simple little wooden cross in a cache it would be found as offensive to someone?

It was something we were considering doing to leave in caches.

We're as against proselytizing as the next person, is it the tracts and such that creates the problem, or is it just the simple fact that it is a symbol of faith?

FWIW, I kind of like the idea of leaving a Rosary, and I'm no longer Catholic. It's a beautiful item with a lot of symbolism, and there are so many beautiful places that inspire people to possibly draw closer to God or to meditate or whatnot, I just don't see the harm.

Oh, and also, I think it's great with other religious symbols, too, be it Buddhas or Stars of David of Ankhs or even Tor's Hammers... we believe in God, but we also believe that others have the right to believe, or not believe, what they want B)

go ahead and do it.nevermind the torpedoes.

BD? thanks.

It was something we were considering doing to leave in caches.

We're as against proselytizing as the next person, is it the tracts and such that creates the problem, or is it just the simple fact that it is a symbol of faith?

FWIW, I kind of like the idea of leaving a Rosary, and I'm no longer Catholic. It's a beautiful item with a lot of symbolism, and there are so many beautiful places that inspire people to possibly draw closer to God or to meditate or whatnot, I just don't see the harm.

Oh, and also, I think it's great with other religious symbols, too, be it Buddhas or Stars of David of Ankhs or even Tor's Hammers... we believe in God, but we also believe that others have the right to believe, or not believe, what they want B)

All you guys are such good convincers... I guess it's mostly religious tracts and stuff like that that I find offensive. I am not that offended by religious symbols. Thanks for the replies to my post... it keeps me thinking and honest... I don't want you all to think I am a big time jerk or anything B) .

As a side note, I have a King James Bible and a Quran in my personal library that I use to look things up. I am not as offended by religion as I may seem. It's more of the proselytizing that gets to me.

As far as political buttons... I'd be glad to forward any of them to you if you want them... B)

Well I like to put a variety of things in my caches, that MEANS MY CACHES ive placed. I have a huge book of dirty jokes that I rip pages out of that I think wont offend anyone in particular, except that theyre vulgar mabye. Then I post that they are rolled in a scroll with a rubberband around them and that they are for 17+ only. In my cache I put kids stuff and other stuff. I just post a note saying whats inside. I even put music cd's inside. Everybody loves to find something B)

All you guys are such good convincers... I guess it's mostly religious tracts and stuff like that that I find offensive. I am not that offended by religious symbols. Thanks for the replies to my post... it keeps me thinking and honest... I don't want you all to think I am a big time jerk or anything :D .

As a side note, I have a King James Bible and a Quran in my personal library that I use to look things up. I am not as offended by religion as I may seem. It's more of the proselytizing that gets to me.

As far as political buttons... I'd be glad to forward any of them to you if you want them... :lol:

it's sweet of you to post this.

i am also offended by people who think they know what's good for me telling me what i should believe. more specifically, i'm offended when they do this because they think they're doing me a favor. most pointedly, i'm offended when they narrow the definitions of who has an acceptable faith down to the very small scope of their tiny view.

i'm also upset when people try to create rules meant to sanitize everything for everyone. when everything that goes in a cache has to please every cacher, nothing will be goin in caches. i have a friend that especially loves to find used golf balls in caches. it's her favorite thing. go figure.

Well I like to put a variety of things in my caches, that MEANS MY CACHES ive placed. I have a huge book of dirty jokes that I rip pages out of that I think wont offend anyone in particular, except that theyre vulgar mabye. Then I post that they are rolled in a scroll with a rubberband around them and that they are for 17+ only. In my cache I put kids stuff and other stuff. I just post a note saying whats inside. I even put music cd's inside. Everybody loves to find something :D

as for this, and in mind of what i said above, i'm grossly unfomfortable with material of a sexual nature going into caches. i'm having some difficulty parsing this out. i am usually offended by dirty jokes, but the idea of sex toys doesn't bother me one bit. i wouldn't want to see a cache full of them.

i imagine people showing up at a cache and finding toys or jokes and getting really angry and i want to avoid that. on the other hand, if you skip backward a couple of paragraphs, i have advocated for people loosening up and not getting so angry.

i'm still troubled by the scrolls, though. did "over 17 only" ever stop you when you were 14? and is the nature of the material made plain? i'm over 17 and i don't want to see the jokes. not even a little bit.

All you guys are such good convincers... I guess it's mostly religious tracts and stuff like that that I find offensive. I am not that offended by religious symbols. Thanks for the replies to my post... it keeps me thinking and honest... I don't want you all to think I am a big time jerk or anything :o .

As far as political buttons... I'd be glad to forward any of them to you if you want them... :o

it's sweet of you to post this.

i am also offended by people who think they know what's good for me telling me what i should believe. more specifically, i'm offended when they do this because they think they're doing me a favor. most pointedly, i'm offended when they narrow the definitions of who has an acceptable faith down to the very small scope of their tiny view.

i'm also upset when people try to create rules meant to sanitize everything for everyone. when everything that goes in a cache has to please every cacher, nothing will be goin in caches. i have a friend that especially loves to find used golf balls in caches. it's her favorite thing. go figure.

Well I like to put a variety of things in my caches, that MEANS MY CACHES ive placed. I have a huge book of dirty jokes that I rip pages out of that I think wont offend anyone in particular, except that theyre vulgar mabye. Then I post that they are rolled in a scroll with a rubberband around them and that they are for 17+ only. In my cache I put kids stuff and other stuff. I just post a note saying whats inside. I even put music cd's inside. Everybody loves to find something :laughing:

as for this, and in mind of what i said above, i'm grossly unfomfortable with material of a sexual nature going into caches. i'm having some difficulty parsing this out. i am usually offended by dirty jokes, but the idea of sex toys doesn't bother me one bit. i wouldn't want to see a cache full of them.

i imagine people showing up at a cache and finding toys or jokes and getting really angry and i want to avoid that. on the other hand, if you skip backward a couple of paragraphs, i have advocated for people loosening up and not getting so angry.

i'm still troubled by the scrolls, though. did "over 17 only" ever stop you when you were 14? and is the nature of the material made plain? i'm over 17 and i don't want to see the jokes. not even a little bit.

I stated what is in the contents and you shouldnt look if you know that it will offend you or your children. And what you said about sex toys in a cache? Thats worse! :o

That seems really odd to me. Jesus did it. Christians are commanded to do it.

so which is more effective: works and good example, or bludgeoning people with stuff they don't want to hear?

and i think Jesus was mostly addressing people who came to hear him. i don't remember a single gospel in which he trails around after hostile people who put their fingers in their ears and hum.

or was that the well-known gospel of larry?

Edited by flask

I stated what is in the contents and you shouldnt look if you know that it will offend you or your children. And what you said about sex toys in a cache? Thats worse! :laughing:

ok, so don't really understand the post before you respond. it's an interesting strategy, but not an unpopular one.

All you guys are such good convincers... I guess it's mostly religious tracts and stuff like that that I find offensive.

You don't have to be offended. Don't read them if you know they'll make your blood boil. Only be offended if they took something nice and left a tract.

Being against proselytizing <offensive remark> is hypocritical, </offensive remark> unless it is by someone who never believes in convincing anyone of anything. Proselytizing is nothing more than an exchange of ideas, or, at least, an attempt at it. Are we to say that trying to convince someone to pray is bad, but trying to convince them to put the toilet seat down is good?

well, if you'd lke to debadte with me the existence of God, benefit of Act 60, futility of recycling, safety of coal-burning, of the dangers of high-fructose corn syrup, i'm toasty with that.

if you want to debate it with me because you know better than i do what's good for me and consider harassing me about it to be a great favor and an act of universal love, i will suggest very politely that perhaps you might be interested in some other acts of, oh, nevermind.

my point is that if you are approaching the discussion as a peer, it IS fine. if you approaching me because in your mind it's good for me, i'll thank you to leave me alone.

atheists are used to it. they hear this tripe all the time. when you tell them that you're sure they're really a good person and that you'll pray for them, they do not think "how sweet". they smile politely and call you names i can't use here.

our good friends the pagans don't care for it, either. they laugh at you at yule, at easter (originally spelled "eostar"), and at candlemas. they are happy and they're glad you're happy. they'll appreciate it if you leave your savior out of their yule celebration and in return they'll wear clothes when they come around for eggnog.

what really burns my butt is when supposed christians harrass other christians who don't fit their particular narrow definition. i'm not talking about dubious fringe sects; i am talking about mainstream denominations. to say that there is one specific formula and only your denomination really knows what it is is simply trash. it is narrow, it is offensive, and it denies fellowship among all christians.

one thing i know is that if you have ten thinking christians in a room, you have fifteen absolute immutable interpretations of God's word. don't even enter the debate with me if you cannot let go of the idea that you are the only one with right answers.

Christ commanded us to remember him with communion. some denominations serve it every day. others every month. others a few times a year. some not at all, thinking the command to be symbolic. some use a wafer, some bread. some wine, some grape juice.

all af them do it in good faith. which is right? yours and yours only?

if you want to debate it with me because you know better than i do what's good for me and consider harassing me about it to be a great favor and an act of universal love, i will suggest very politely that perhaps you might be interested in some other acts of, oh, nevermind.

If you were a habitual smoker and I told you that it was very bad for your health, then would you react similarly? Would you condemn me for claiming to know better than you do what's good for you? Who knows...maybe you would.

what really burns my butt is when supposed christians harrass other christians who don't fit their particular narrow definition. i'm not talking about dubious fringe sects; i am talking about mainstream denominations. to say that there is one specific formula and only your denomination really knows what it is is simply trash. it is narrow, it is offensive, and it denies fellowship among all christians.

"Harass" is a key word here. I don't think you'll be finding anyone here who will argue that it's okay to harass someone. Are you just exaggerating, or are we really talking about harrassment? You talk about mainstream sects having narrow interpretations:

So?

2+2 = 4 is a very narrow concept, too, and it isn't hurting anyone.

...and only your denomination really knows what it is is simply trash.

...implying that I must assume that I do not know, and therefore I must not take a stand on anything. You took a stand on that statement. It was a very strong statement at that. Perhaps you should not assume that only you know how narrow a person's views can be. I won't call your bold statement "simply trash," but I will call it inherently self- defeating.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

and i think Jesus was mostly addressing people who came to hear him. i don't remember a single gospel in which he trails around after hostile people who put their fingers in their ears and hum.

This is where you would be incorrect.

Jesus spent his adult life traveling to where people were to teach them. He did not wait for the people to come to him. He went and found people. He was an example to his disciples to be copied.

No one said anything about badgering anyone. But if you were around Jesus do you think he would have talked about the weather?

You may be approached by a Christian trying to share something positive with you sometime in your life. You may not want to hear it now, but may change your mind in the future.

To sum up Jesus was an example for Christians to copy and his last command of his followers was to go and make disciples. You cant really do that without sharing what you know with others.

If you were a habitual smoker and I told you that it was very bad for your health, then would you react similarly? Would you condemn me for claiming to know better than you do what's good for you? Who knows...maybe you would.

This makes me think. If you are a smoker and find a pamphlet on the harmfulness of tobacco use, would you be offended? The person sharing it is only trying to help you. They are not doing it for their personal benefit.

So is it wrong to leave anti-smoking pamphlets in caches if someone else smokes and it might irritate them?

Jesus spent his adult life traveling to where people were to teach them. He did not wait for the people to come to him. He went and found people. He was an example to his disciples to be copied.

No one said anything about badgering anyone. But if you were around Jesus do you think he would have talked about the weather?

You may be approached by a Christian trying to share something positive with you sometime in your life. You may not want to hear it now, but may change your mind in the future.

To sum up Jesus was an example for Christians to copy and his last command of his followers was to go and make disciples. You cant really do that without sharing what you know with others.

And then he annoyed the ones who didn't want to hear him... so they killed him.

There were others who did the same... David Koresh <sp> comes to mind... and the same thing happened... he pushed his ways on others and was killed. This certainly doesn't imply that I think Mr. Koresh was a prophet, like Jesus, in any way... it's just for conversation. :laughing:

And then he annoyed the ones who didn't want to hear him... so they killed him.

There were others who did the same... David Koresh <sp> comes to mind... and the same thing happened... he pushed his ways on others and was killed. This certainly doesn't imply that I think Mr. Koresh was a prophet, like Jesus, in any way... it's just for conversation. :D

This is not a religious debate thread. We have determined since my original post that religious items and any items containing references to religious items and/or people do in fact offend a small majority of people and therefore would not go in to a 100% non-offensive cache. Your conversation adds nothing to this thread please do not continue to here.

Huge difference between witnessing and proselytizing.... HUGE difference. Kind of like the difference between talking and yelling :D

This is not a religious debate thread. We have determined since my original post that religious items and any items containing references to religious items and/or people do in fact offend a small majority of people and therefore would not go in to a 100% non-offensive cache. Your conversation adds nothing to this thread please do not continue to here.

Aaaaghhh! A self-made moderator!

You have come to your own conclusion. Guidelines do not state than any item left has to be 100% non-offensive.

I just picked up a packet of DNR wild game recipes. That certainly would offend many people.

Does it make it wrong? Absolutely not!

- And yes Jesus was persecuted for his teachings just as he said his followers would be. He was not a popular man, just as his followers are not popular.

Huge difference between witnessing and proselytizing.... HUGE difference. Kind of like the difference between talking and yelling :D

You made a valid point. Sharing something positive does not mean you are trying to convert someone.

Many people though feel that when someone shares something positive with them, they are trying to convert them. Although some may- this is not always true.

Here it is from another thread:

An old man, a boy & a donkey were going to town. The boy rode on the donkey & the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding.

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Then, later, they passed some people who remarked, "What a shame, he makes that little boy walk."

So they then decided they'd both walk!

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride.

So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people who shamed them by saying how awful to put such a load on a poor donkey.

The boy and man figured they were probably right, so they decide to carry the donkey.

As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?

If you try to please everyone, you might as well... Kiss your donkey goodbye!

Good thing I think fart noises and fart jokes are funny. :D

Farts are cool. I remember more than one elementary school teacher who thought that was so offensive. They were beside themselves.

I also remember being in 5th grade and sharing a Weird Al song with the class. The teacher couldnt beleive my mother let me listen to it.

TEACHER: "Does your mother know you listen to this?" :D

ME: "My mother listens to this with me." :D

See the last few posts of this cache for the ultimate in offensive items put in a cache.

Aside from that, I guess I'm not very easily offended. I've found religious pamphlets and such in caches before and even though I'm not religious myself, they don't bother me. I can't say that I've ever come across anything that offended me or worried much about what I was leaving.

Aaaaghhh! A self-made moderator!

You have come to your own conclusion. Guidelines do not state than any item left has to be 100% non-offensive.

I just picked up a packet of DNR wild game recipes. That certainly would offend many people.

Does it make it wrong? Absolutely not!

- And yes Jesus was persecuted for his teachings just as he said his followers would be. He was not a popular man, just as his followers are not popular.

What are you talking about? I stated this thread and I am trying to keep it on topic before you take it so far off topic that you get this thread closed. How about instead of hijacking this thread you instead start one of your own.

Edited by Glenn

One thing I put in a cache of mine was a book exchange. I put a paperback copy of Rainbow Six in the cache and requested that anyone could take the book if they replaced it with another. So far it has gone ok. I talked to one cacher the other day and she said that she actually stops by that cache every so often just to trade books.

What are you talking about? I stated this thread and I am trying to keep it on topic before you take it so far off topic that you get this thread closed. How about instead of hijacking this thread you instead start one of your own.

No one is hijacking a thread. You are clearly bothered by religion. (Believe it or not, i understand that.)

Just don't think because some are offended by something that it makes those items all bad. Most everyone is offended by something.

I haven't ever left anything religious until yesterday. I had the tiniest little red "leather" Bible. I can't even read the words...my eyes are too old. Since I live in Texas, and there are alot of Christians around, I left it in a cache. I know finding such a thing would have thrilled my kids when they were little. I wasn't trying to push an agenda or anything....it was just cute, and I thought someone might enjoy finding it. If a tiny child's Bible freaks someone out...then maybe they would be happier in another country?

Edited by Gimpygoo

We have found absolute junk in our recent cache finds. It is disappointing for adults as well as the kids. It would be great to remind everyone who is playing that the caches are not a repository for your McToys and broken things. We put in things way better than what we find. The Wooden Nickles are a fun find! I'd like to find one of those caches with the $6 items!!

We have found absolute junk in our recent cache finds. It is disappointing for adults as well as the kids. It would be great to remind everyone who is playing that the caches are not a repository for your McToys and broken things. We put in things way better than what we find. The Wooden Nickles are a fun find! I'd like to find one of those caches with the $6 items!!

You might not like McToys.

Kids certainly do though.

If the toys are clean and not busted then McToys are perfectly acceptable. (You still need to trade fairly though.)

i tnln more often than not(except bouncy balls, my cat luvs em). many caches ive seen or heard about contain mc toys etc. i just enjoy finding the cache, to find the cache. i carry a few trade items if i see something that strikes my fancy and will cart off the undesirables(underwear, hotwheels with no wheels, beer bottle caps, etc)

as a kid my friends would only trade "even".

This thread has gotten a little off topic. If I wanted a debate on what offends or should not offend I would have dug up one of the many old thread on the topic and added a post to one of those dead threads. To help bring this thread back on track I'll give a little summary from posts that are on topic.

List of items that offend:

(Remember there is no debate here. Once an item offends even one person it will not go in to the cache)

• Political items
  • Religious items
  • McToys
  • Toys
  • Cans of worms - this just might fall under the food restriction.
  • trash - One man's trash is another man's treasure so is treasure out too? I think so.
  • stuff that openly insults or criticizes any particular group
  • broken stuff
  • dirty stuff
  • stuff that promotes a personal agenda
  • plastic dinosaurs
  • rubber snakes
  • stuff - I'd have been a little more specific but stuff it is.
  • batteries
  • water
  • business cards
  • golf balls
  • magnifying glasses
  • balloons
  • french fries
  • inverted pentagrams
  • images of buffalos
  • outdated Historical Marker Guides
  • liquids
  • wax crayons
  • unlaminated paper items
  • scented items
  • food items
  • lighters
  • knives
  • used golf balls
  • non-geocaching buttons
  • any type of tract
  • any type of solicitation
  • all tourist brochures
  • rocks
  • dirt
  • leaves
  • hotel bathing caps
  • hotel soap
  • hotel shampoo
  • money (coins and bills)
  • medication
  • sardines
  • pocket lint - I think we only have to worry about pocket link in pocket caches.
  • pine cones
  • a pro-military-industrial complex agenda - I'd be interested in knowing what specific items would be considered promoting the pro-military-industrial complex agenda. I am not sure most of us would be able to identify such items easily.
  • material of a sexual nature
  • absolute junk
  • people who get offended to easily

If any of the above items offend you, you do not need to list it again. It is already listed and therefore out of the cache. Also I've noticed quite a few people listed items that are already not allowed by the Groundspeak Geocaching guidelines. It is not necessary to list those items as they should not be found in caches that are following the Groundspeak Geocaching guidelines. As a reminder here is the list of items specifically mentioned in the Groundspeak Geocaching guidelines as not allowed to be placed in caches:

• Explosives
  • fireworks
  • ammo
  • lighters
  • knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools)
  • drugs
  • alcohol
  • illicit material
  • any items not allowed by local laws
  • food items - I am not sure if this is baned for just not a good idea as the guidelines say "Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA". But it never says that food items are not allowed.
  • items that smell like food
  • mint flavored dental floss

Someone erroneously stated that religious and political items are not allowed in cache according to Groundspeak guidelines. That is not true. Groundspeak does not specifically ban those items however they do seem to offend and will be left out the non-offensive cache.

(Remember there is no debate here. Once an item offends even one person it will not go in to the cache)

Are you saying that since those items offend at least one person that they should never be left in a cache?

If that is true then no one should ever leave anything.

I imagine some might even be offended by the log book not being made of recylced paper or "Made in USA" folks getting upset that the pen was made in CHINA.

This thread has gotten a little off topic. If I wanted a debate on what offends or should not offend I would have dug up one of the many old thread on the topic and added a post to one of those dead threads. To help bring this thread back on track I'll give a little summary from posts that are on topic.

• Political items
  • Religious items
  • McToys
  • Toys
  • Cans of worms - this just might fall under the food restriction.
  • trash - One man's trash is another man's treasure so is treasure out too? I think so.
  • stuff that openly insults or criticizes any particular group
  • broken stuff
  • dirty stuff
  • stuff that promotes a personal agenda
  • plastic dinosaurs
  • rubber snakes
  • stuff - I'd have been a little more specific but stuff it is.
  • batteries
  • water
  • business cards
  • golf balls
  • magnifying glasses
  • balloons
  • french fries
  • inverted pentagrams
  • images of buffalos
  • outdated Historical Marker Guides
  • liquids
  • wax crayons
  • unlaminated paper items
  • scented items
  • food items
  • lighters
  • knives
  • used golf balls
  • non-geocaching buttons
  • any type of tract
  • any type of solicitation
  • all tourist brochures
  • rocks
  • dirt
  • leaves
  • hotel bathing caps
  • hotel soap
  • hotel shampoo
  • money (coins and bills)
  • medication
  • sardines
  • pocket lint - I think we only have to worry about pocket link in pocket caches.
  • pine cones
  • a pro-military-industrial complex agenda - I'd be interested in knowing what specific items would be considered promoting the pro-military-industrial complex agenda. I am not sure most of us would be able to identify such items easily.
  • material of a sexual nature
  • absolute junk
  • people who get offended to easily

If any of the above items offend you, you do not need to list it again. It is already listed and therefore out of the cache. Also I've noticed quite a few people listed items that are already not allowed by the Groundspeak Geocaching guidelines. It is not necessary to list those items as they should not be found in caches that are following the Groundspeak Geocaching guidelines. As a reminder here is the list of items specifically mentioned in the Groundspeak Geocaching guidelines as not allowed to be placed in caches:

• Explosives
  • fireworks
  • ammo
  • lighters
  • knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools)
  • drugs
  • alcohol
  • illicit material
  • any items not allowed by local laws
  • food items - I am not sure if this is baned for just not a good idea as the guidelines say "Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA". But it never says that food items are not allowed.
  • items that smell like food
  • mint flavored dental floss

Someone erroneously stated that religious and political items are not allowed in cache according to Groundspeak guidelines. That is not true. Groundspeak does not specifically ban those items however they do seem to offend and will be left out the non-offensive cache.

i'm sorry, i thought it was a general discussion of community standards.

if we'd known you just wanted a list of everything that might possibly offend anyone and therefore be excluded from caches, it would have saved everyone a lot of time.

everything has the potential to offend someone, so you'd better not put anything at all in.

conversely, some people are offended if you don't leave anything, so your best bet is not to open the cache at all.

but some people are offended if you visit the cache but don't sign the log. better quit caching.

i don't think the original post said anything about a non-offensive cache. it did ask for opinion, but did not state that we were simply compiling an elimination list, which would only serve as an excercise in futility. if nobody actually discusses the opinions, they have about as much meaning as a porkchop at a bar mitzvah.

if we are only compiling a debate-free elimination list, i would like to add that i am deeply offended by TBs, geocoins, wooden nickles, WG$, spiral bound notebooks, and blue ball-point pens. i am sent into fits of rage by any pencil other than a dixon-ticonderoga #2, ziploc bags, or foreign currency. anything pink or glittery is completely inappropriate, as is anything in hunter orange or camouflage. it is my habit to trash these things out when i find them in caches.

you should, too.

OK, My wife and I are new to this game so I come into the forums to learn. This is my first post. We find caches that start out with nice items and by the time weve found it, there is what I consider junk.. ;) ...but that doesnt mean a child wont love it or the person collecting state quarters wouldnt love to find the Montana quarter they dont have. I think its funny that so many people are not content to be just offended. They strive to let everyone know about it too! My wife and I are not very Religious and do not care about politics. I do not want people pushing their beleifs on me but if I see it in a cache, it doesnt bother me or her. We are a very diverse group of people on this earth and just because I dont like something, doesnt mean the next person wont! If I see a cross, fine. I respect other peoples views and will leave it. I dont want it but maybe the next person will be exstatic to find it. Maybe a kid just learning about religion wants it, it might be just what he wanted. Why deny the simple pleasures in life.....ones beleif! On that note, I do not feel that any fliers or pamphlets warrant being in a cache. Neither does a business card. That is tacky. but an actual object is cool. The campaign pin for example. Ok so it offended you, you felt it unappropiate but later in the posts, someone said they collect them? I am offended all the time when I go to the dump and see what others throw out! If it is something I can use, Ill retreive it (yes, I am a dumpster diver!) I am not poor, homeless, jobless or a vagrant. I do not need to dig it out of the trash, I choose to if I can use it. Heck, I have found some items Ive sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars that way. LOL Im sure this offends alot of people. Oh well. We try to be nice, caring, thoughtfull and giving. If we happen to offend someone with an item we have left, Its their issue not mine. I wish people would just lighten up on the offenses they have and remember they are not alone in this world. I hope I haventr rambled on too much. :)

Are you saying that since those items offend at least one person that they should never be left in a cache?

If that is true then no one should ever leave anything.

I imagine some might even be offended by the log book not being made of recylced paper or "Made in USA" folks getting upset that the pen was made in CHINA.

For my theoretical 100% non-offensive cache, yes. Once one person considers an item offensive it is out of the cache. As far as debating what items should and shouldn't be placed in a cache there are already plenty of other threads on the subject.

As far side conservation goes there has some really good post in this thread by others explaining why certain items offend them. I am not bothered by religion but I have a hard time understanding why some people appear to be bother by religion simply because it exists. I've read posts where someone is offended by a religious tract placed in a cache but they never go on to say why or how the tract offends them. Besides just because something is offensive is that really reason to ban it from caches? This is what lead me to the idea of the theoretical non-offensive cache. I know that there is no such thing as a 100% non-offensive cache. What I find most interesting is not the items that are being listing as offensive in this thread but the items that I have seen in caches that no one posting to this thread has listed as offensive.

Don't worry about offending people. Stock it with the stuff that you would want to find. If someone is offended by your personal tastes, then perhaps their offense is offensive in itself. I wanted to stock a cache with books and music CDs, but what music would it be? I wasn't going to spend my own money on music that I don't even like; that's for sure. Anyone who doesn't share my taste in music or isn't willing to try doesn't have to make a trade.

I figure, all I'm doing is sharing a little bit of myself with fellow geocachers. If they don't like what I offer, then they probably wouldn't like me either. Okay, so I really like contemporary Christian music. If they don't like my putting it in a cache that I own, then they probably would just hate me too. :) Yeah, well, it's my money and my cache. At least if no one makes a trade I won't be stuck with a bunch of stuff I don't even like.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think your own cache should represent you. Put in things you would like to find, at least then you know you'd be pleasing someone. :o

Once an item offends even one person it will not go in to the cache

i'm sorry, i thought it was a general discussion of community standards.

if we'd known you just wanted a list of everything that might possibly offend anyone and therefore be excluded from caches, it would have saved everyone a lot of time.

everything has the potential to offend someone, so you'd better not put anything at all in.

conversely, some people are offended if you don't leave anything, so your best bet is not to open the cache at all.

but some people are offended if you visit the cache but don't sign the log. better quit caching.

i don't think the original post said anything about a non-offensive cache. it did ask for opinion, but did not state that we were simply compiling an elimination list, which would only serve as an excercise in futility. if nobody actually discusses the opinions, they have about as much meaning as a porkchop at a bar mitzvah.

if we are only compiling a debate-free elimination list, i would like to add that i am deeply offended by TBs, geocoins, wooden nickles, WG$, spiral bound notebooks, and blue ball-point pens. i am sent into fits of rage by any pencil other than a dixon-ticonderoga #2, ziploc bags, or foreign currency. anything pink or glittery is completely inappropriate, as is anything in hunter orange or camouflage. it is my habit to trash these things out when i find them in caches.

you should, too.

Good summation Flask, however I find that those things you listed are particularly disturbing to me right at this moment. My whim at what I find offensive might change later, so watch out.

Actually I have just decided to be offended by everything, therefore nothing should go in anywhere....after all I am "just one person".

The "just one person" claim is the most sad reflection I have ever heard.

But hey - Have a nice day - unless you find that offensive, after all "Once an item offends even one person it will not go in to the cache".... :):o:)