Military Coin Interest

schristi69

I see that most of the coins are either personal or are of a group, organization or event. I was thinking of starting a series commemorating various Army units and operations and would like to see if there is any interest before I head down that expensive road. A portion of the proceeds would be donated to Fisher House.

Greets. It has already been done. There are 2 Geocoins vendors that have Military coins for sale at the moment that I know of.

Do you have their names? I found a lot of companies that make the coins, but none that sell (retail) the type of item I have in mind. The challenge coin is close to what I am thinking of, but as a geocoin. Most of the coins I found are also pretty generic (Army, Navy, etc.) and only deal with Mideast operations. Might have to do a trial run and see how she flys as they say.

We have 2 coins currently.

Unknown Soldier

geocoin_unkown_soldier_AS.JPG

and the next one, which is currently being redone, the mold was wrong, is the 25th Anniversary Vietnam Memorial Geocoin.

We continue to donate at least $1/coin to Fisher House.

vietnam.jpg

Dang. Gonna have to get some of the 'Nam ones. Too many friends lost there, too many friends who left too much behind there.

Dang. Gonna have to get some of the 'Nam ones. Too many friends lost there, too many friends who left too much behind there.

Our Father served in Vietnam, USMC. Our best friend served in Iraq, USMC.

We are going to give the Gold coins to any Geocacher who served in Vietnam. More info coming.

I see that most of the coins are either personal or are of a group, organization or event. I was thinking of starting a series commemorating various Army units and operations and would like to see if there is any interest before I head down that expensive road. A portion of the proceeds would be donated to Fisher House.

schristi69,

Stop by the MAGC forums and you might get a good bit of interest in this idea. So far we've done 2 geocoins (all services) one for '06 and one for '07. Other members are working on various other coin ideas. The Final Fold coin to commemorate our fallen comrades, etc...

Many of the members have also produced their own coins, Falcon Loader and Tank Hounds come immediately to mind.

BRTango

Edited by BRTango

cf_f.jpgcf_b.jpg

Chris has just made some of his Canadian Forces Trackable Geocoins available by private request only. It is a personal coin shared by members (current or retired) of the Canadian Forces featuring the Tri-Service Crest on the front. The only version you are likely to find is the antique silver, but this was the only pic I had at my fingertips so to speak :D . See the other thread if this interests you.

Have a great weekend everyone and to our troops (Canadian & US) thank you for all you do so that we can live in these free countries. Helen

We are going to give the Gold coins to any Geocacher who served in Vietnam. More info coming.

So if a cacher is a Vietnam war era veteran ( special benefits and ribbon) but never actually touched ground, They aren't eligible?!?

So if a cacher is a Vietnam war era veteran ( special benefits and ribbon) but never actually touched ground, They aren't eligible?!?

We can. We are working on everything still.

My uncle signed up during the Vietnam war. His ribbon was for signing up during war time. The war being Vietnam. But his theatre of operation was Germany. I suspect there are different ribbons for where you served as well as joining during a conflict.

schristi69,

Stop by the MAGC forums and you might get a good bit of interest in this idea. So far we've done 2 geocoins (all services) one for '06 and one for '07. Other members are working on various other coin ideas. The Final Fold coin to commemorate our fallen comrades, etc...

Many of the members have also produced their own coins, Falcon Loader and Tank Hounds come immediately to mind.

BRTango

Already a member.

Unknown Soldier

and the next one, which is currently being redone, the mold was wrong, is the 25th Anniversary Vietnam Memorial Geocoin.

vietnam.jpg

Just bumping this up. We are finishing up the front of the coin. We have gone through a few dies to get it right and think this will finally happen.

Be on the lookout!

Unknown Soldier

vietnam.jpg

Gonna have to get a couple of the nam ones, both father and father-in-law spent 2yrs there.

Both served in USMC and both retired with 30+years.

Edited by Frank n Beck

I'd like to see one for the 3rd ID. Richard was in it for 9 years...

The ribbon he probably received was the national defense ribbon. For being over seas in Germany, Italy, Alaska, and so on you would get the overseas ribbon. If you joined the miltary during a conflict what you get is the NDM medal. You would get a separate ribbon or medal of you was in a area of combat, ie, Iraq, Afganastan, Vietnam, etc.

What you uncle left the military with was probably a good conduct medal, NDM, OSR, and maybe a ARCOM. All given to service members that serve without ever going to War.

My uncle signed up during the Vietnam war. His ribbon was for signing up during war time. The war being Vietnam. But his theatre of operation was Germany. I suspect there are different ribbons for where you served as well as joining during a conflict.

Edited by Cav Scout

Unknown Soldier

vietnam.jpg

Gonna have to get a couple of the nam ones, both father and father-in-law spent 2yrs there.

Both served in USMC and both retired with 30+years.

We were emailed about these. As always, sometimes getting things right just takes time. These are in production and will be sold once they are in hand.

Thanks.

Depending on which campaign you were part of. Like now if you serve in Iraq you get a Operation Iraqi Freedom Medal and if you serve in Afganistan you get an Operation Enduring Freedom Medal. You get a National Defense medal if you serve anywhere during a time of war. After 9/11 we also got a Global War on Terrorism Service ribbon, and if you deploy you get Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary ribbon. They all stand for something.

Mr. DaFunkyFrogs served in country during the Vietnam 'conflict'.

~Mrs. DaFunkyFrogs~

*('in country' meaning in Vietnam, in the warzone, during the war)