Inventive hides

Interesting that this post has had no replies.

But reading it I must say I find it a bit confusing

Looking at the original topic, do I think the inventive ways of hiding a cache have been exhausted? - no. There are some cache hiders out there that are so devious their inventiveness beggars belief.

You don't want to pinch another cacher's ideas? - but this thread, if answered, would produce a list of ideas already put into practice - how would you gain from that? If you alrady have an idea for an inventive cache would you just cross it off your list if someone else had done something similar?

If you have an inventive idea just go for it, even if it has been done somewhere else I doubt that someone in you area will have done it.

But to sort of answer your question - inventive cache that made me laugh out load - one hidden in a decoy bird perched in a tree (Thanks Alibags) pity it was nicked.

I'll not give the game away - but the cache pure GPS wins my award for the boldest, hide it in plain site, can't find the s***ing thing, found it, how clever.... I'll kill the setter.... cache that we have done recently.

Hmm.... telling you which cache I thought was inventive, but without giving the game away perhaps explains why this thread hasn't had any replies yet.

This cache is also a clever and inventive way of hiding a micro.... but again, I can't give the game away in this thread, so you've neither gained an idea you can use, or one you should avoid.

To be honest, I'm not above nicking an idea and I'm looking to to use one of the 2 techniques I've just not told you about to replace a micro that keeps getting muggled.

well, I'll take the OP at face value and mention a few inventive hides, but without saying which cache! I think I've done enough, spread far and wide, to not provide spoilers!

We've done two caches which are HIGH up in a tree, attached to a pulley system, and they need to be winched down.

One cache is a log sheet in a plastic wallet, behind a fake magnetic plate in full view of the world!

Numerous caches dangling from fishing lines!

caches in trees disguised as acorns/pine cones/etc!

Being a London cacher, we quite like the urban 'in full view but no-one notices it' type of cache, like rivets and bolts.

I have an idea to create a large piece of street furniture (a bollard for example, or random green box that we see all over the place) which actually IS the cache, but that needs some thought!

Oh, and I'm aware of a cache (I think in the UK) that is actually a car....

I'm sure there's plenty of others!

Dave

One of my all-time favourite hides was one of xxx (No cache name mentioned...)

It is a floating micro in a hollow metal gate post. The post has no cap so the 'tube' is full of water. In dry periods you have to bring your own water and pour into the tube to flush the micro up to the top! Clever :o

Jon

amended to protect the innocent

Edited by Mr.Dewdrop

One of my all-time favourite hides was one of xxx (No cache name mentioned...)

It is a floating micro in a hollow metal gate post. The post has no cap so the 'tube' is full of water. In dry periods you have to bring your own water and pour into the tube to flush the micro up to the top! Clever :(

Jon

amended to protect the innocent

I like this ( and remember seeing something similar on a tv program when I was a kid, but I can't remember the name - the teams had to do all sorts of outward bound type things - makeshift bridges, river crossings etc).

one question though - when you've filled it up with water, and it floats to the top, how do you re-hide it? Do you need to siphon some water out again or is there a hole in the bottom of the post to let it out slowly?

The most inventive that I can remember (now sadly archived) was a false grave marker in an old cemetery. Having found the instructions and read them over and over again, I didn't believe I was actually reaching out to slide the ornament on this grave stone. I was totally gob-smacked when it actually moved and released a hidden catch. The top flipped open and a cache popped out.... absolute magic!!!

Oh yes John, that was a total classic! So much care and attention made for a first-class cache. I like the 'in plain sight' type too, and anything that makes you think of The Adventure Game while fishing for it with a hook on a piece of string/hanging 20ft up in a tree looking at a bird box with a suspiciously blanked off entrance/indulging in something that'd make James Herriot blush with an inflatable sheep... Ingenuity can turn a so-so location for a cache into a complete delight. Just get sneaky!

one question though - when you've filled it up with water, and it floats to the top, how do you re-hide it? Do you need to siphon some water out again or is there a hole in the bottom of the post to let it out slowly?
From memory (not one of my strong points...) when rehiding I pushed the canister down a few times so the water flowed out at the top... although I can't recall what would make the canister simply floating out of the top in heavy rain. Perhaps the cache-setter could 'simply' put us right on this? :(

Jon

Sounds cunning. I imagine there's a small drainage hole or poor seal at the bottom which, over a few minutes, allows the water to escape and thus drop the cache out of sight. If I were setting one like that, that's what I'd aim for.
Cunning indeed... :(

Sounds cunning. I imagine there's a small drainage hole or poor seal at the bottom which, over a few minutes, allows the water to escape and thus drop the cache out of sight. If I were setting one like that, that's what I'd aim for.

There is a cache where you have to fill the tube yourself from a nearby stream. The trouble is, there are holes all over the tube, so it flows out quickly. You need to block the holes with your hands/tape/someone else's hands to retrieve the cache from the top of the tube.

There is a cache where you have to fill the tube yourself from a nearby stream. The trouble is, there are holes all over the tube, so it flows out quickly. You need to block the holes with your hands/tape/someone else's hands to retrieve the cache from the top of the tube.

Sounds like caching crossed with The Crystal Maze - I like it :(

Sounds like caching crossed with The Crystal Maze - I like it :(

Done one like that its one of the intermediate stages and the co ords are on a piece of wood took two of us to do it and yes lynn did miss with the water first go :P

I like this ( and remember seeing something similar on a tv program when I was a kid, but I can't remember the name - the teams had to do all sorts of outward bound type things - makeshift bridges, river crossings etc).

I remember it now, It was called "Now get out of that!"

There is this cache in runcorn set by verve

My favourite cache hide GCJP2X is unfortunately no longer in active service as it eventually broke and stopped working properly. As it's no longer active I think it's safe to describe it as it won't spoil the surprise.

Essentially the cache was hidden inside a log. When the log was opened, it revealed the front of a PC CD player. Pressing one button on the front played some music (Mission Impossible theme I think). Pressing another caused the CD tray to open, revealing the logbook.

There was an extra surprise inside for me when I opened it - a colony of earwigs had made it their home and as the tray opened, they all scurried back into the mechansism! These were probably the case of the cache's demise in the end.

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS

Easily the best geo-hides (aka caches) are those that are in plain view but impossible to see - or in some cases to retrieve. YOU know its a cache, YOU know its there, but you have no idea how it got there or how to retrieve it or how it stays there unmuggled.

I'm not talking camouflage here, though some discrete 'blending into surroundings may be included', so I'm not including fake rocks, plastic logs or the like. For example, the geocache in the middle of the Champs Elysses is a prime example: everyone walks past it - its on a traffic island bollard near the Arc de Triomphe - its in plain view but impossible to see.

So see if you can emulate that! Good luck

Its called the HEP (Hydro Ejective Power) Cache and walking through a forest with a 2 litre empty container does look a bit stupid, but it worked. Great area for a days caching