ALOoooooHA!

Shop99er

Dust off your coconut bras and shake out your grass skirts. It's that time of year again.

:laughing:

GeoLuau 4

August 18, 2007

Jarstad Park

Gorst, WA

People, you know the drill.... tons of food, games for the kids and adults, Hawaiian attire appriciated, underwear optional... same as last year.

For first timers......

It's a pot luck. I supply kalua pig and hotdogs ...you supply the rest.

For the adults you can test your skill with a GPS at the Adult GPS accuracy game.

Kids can test their skill with wooden GPSrs at the Kids GPS Toss game.

The kids will also enjoy 4 events at the LuauLympic games and, if we can get it worked out in time, the adults may have to show the little ones how skilled they are as well!

Bring dry clothing and a towel for the kids since we do supply some wet fun for them. Bring a lawn chair if you'd like to sit out in the yard in the sun.

We'll have the event listed soon!

Mahalo!

That's the same weekend as the WSGA Campout.

I think he's doing it on purpose now, PP... :laughing:

The GeoLuau has been listed for months on the Yahoo calendar. It's the pinned thread at the top of the NW Forums. That calendar got created just so we won't bang into each other for event slots.

Sorry, but we've had the park reserved since January 3rd for this.

We've almost always had another event going on during one of our events. Ya just gotta pick which one you're going to and go.

Sorry, it was a joke...I guess I didn't make that clear.

We've known since we set up the Campout that they were conflicting, but that's the only place and weekend that was reasonable for the WSGA event.

It happens.

However I'm not as in favor of that calendar as some are. I prefer to use the one at the WSGA website. Actually, what I'd really like is to have something on the GC.com main site for individual states/regions and the ability to plan out a bit farther than they like, but that's not going to happen.

I'm sure both events will be well attended, and possibly by the same people attending both events...we'll have to see. I know where my tent will be. :o

Sorry, it was a joke...I guess I didn't make that clear.

What this forum needs is an obvious *smirk* or *nudge*nudge*wink*wink* smilie!

However I'm not as in favor of that calendar as some are. I prefer to use the one at the WSGA website. Actually, what I'd really like is to have something on the GC.com main site for individual states/regions and the ability to plan out a bit farther than they like, but that's not going to happen.

The problem with the WSGA and GC.com hosting this sort of calendar is that they can't/won't post possible events. For us personally we need to reserve parks and venues as soon as possible but we can't post until 3 months out from the event. That causes problems when we're all looking at the same weekend.

The Yahoo calendar allows people to post intended event dates. You know our Halloween event will be on Oct 20th. You know Talk Like a Pirate will be October 6th. We can't list them officially but we can lock down our venues. That's why I prefer the Yahoo calendar over the others.

I'm sure both events will be well attended, and possibly by the same people attending both events...we'll have to see. I know where my tent will be. :o

Absolutely correct. I'm sure that we'll both be well attended. And we're far enough apart, physically, that it shouldn't be a issue.

Absolutely correct. I'm sure that we'll both be well attended. And we're far enough apart, physically, that it shouldn't be a issue.

Actually according to my maps they are close enough together that it wouldn't be unheard of for people to attend both. 1 hour 10 minutes is what Mapsource puts the drive time at. Not many people I know wouldn't drive at least an hour to go to an event by Shop99er & -Hawk-!!!

The problem with the WSGA and GC.com hosting this sort of calendar is that they can't/won't post possible events. For us personally we need to reserve parks and venues as soon as possible but we can't post until 3 months out from the event. That causes problems when we're all looking at the same weekend.

We can put whatever we want on the WSGA calendar. We usually only list what is on the GC.com list, but we have the ability to put anything there.

Actually according to my maps they are close enough together that it wouldn't be unheard of for people to attend both. 1 hour 10 minutes is what Mapsource puts the drive time at. Not many people I know wouldn't drive at least an hour to go to an event by Shop99er & -Hawk-!!!

*gulp* :o

We know we have set a pretty high bar for our events and we will continue to try to make them something worth coming to.

The Campout is the 17th-19th and the Luau the 18th, so maybe should drive over from Vancouver Island rather than arrive in Port Townsend by boat... so we can easily get from one to th'other in a timely manner... hmmm. :) Sounds like a fun double header!

Fixed

Had a meeting with the co-host and we've ironed a few things out. We should have the web site and the event listing submitted by next week at the latest. It just depends on when our web-master gets the pages ready to go so you can submit information for your nifty keen badges.

However, just to give you a little run down on what you're in for here's what we are planning.

ADULTS

GPS ACCURACY & ELEVATION ESTIMATION

The GPS game is a 'fer sure dude' but we're not sure about the elevation game yet. Seeing how it's a pretty flat park and a lot of you already know the elevation from last year... seems like it may not be much of a challenge. The GPS crew is going to work to see if its a possibility again this year. We're also not sure about premimun memberships for the top 3 guessers but if we do have the Elevation Estimation game there will be prizes awarded. Remember the 'entry fee' for the GPS game is a suitable caching item. Everyone who plays, wins.

POI GOLF

This is a new thing we're trying. We'd like the adults to have some more fun activities and we think this may fit the bill. It's free to play. Winner will receive a prize. Don't bother bringing your golf clubs..... it ain't that sort of golf. And don't worry about skill because if you can stand errect you can play this game.

KIDS

GPS TOSS

Same as every event. Kids 12 and under toss wooden GPSrs at a flag and we measure the distance. The kids GPS games are an 'entry fee' based game. They bring a suitable kid related item to serve as their entry fee. Everyone who plays will win a prize.

PIRATES TREASURE HUNT

At registration the kids will receive a pirate hat (first 32 kids only) and a treasure map. Hidden around the park are little caches that contain stickers. Once their treasure map is filled with stickers Pirate Chuck will bring out the treasure chest and the kids will get to pick a prize from the chest. Free to all kids who want to play

GOODIE BAGS

The goodie bags are limited so only the first 24 (maybe 36) kids who have their parents register for them on-line will receive the bags. There are toys and candy and all sorts of wonderful stuff in the bags!

LUAULYMPICS

Last year was such a hit that we're doing it again. Kids who participate will play Honolulu Hop, Rongo Rongo Rings, Diamondhead Dice and Wiki Wiki Wacky Ball. In each round the kids earn points. Top three winners are awarded trophies but all kids get a medal for playing.

That's the highlights...besides the food, the conversation, the day in the sun....oh but wait!!.... there's just one more thing.

All the adults will receive a FREE raffle ticket when they register! We got a late envelope full of coins and things from a Spring Fling sponsor. Too late for the Spring Fling but right on time for the GeoLuau!

Well, I missed Spring Fling because of finals, so I'm going to have to make an effort to get to this one, especially since Little Moose will probably be old enough to partake in some of the kids events.

D'oh. That IS the weekend that I tentatively scheduled my Mt. Adams climb. (Now to flip back to Outlook calender to look for a better Adams weekend.)

Edited by Bull Moose

I've been asked a couple of times....

Yes, there will be games for kids and adults.

No, there is no special sign up sheet for the games.

When you ask for a badge we automatically sign you up for the games. Play if you want but you don't have to.

Just a reminder.....

:laughing: Please click on the link at the event listing and sign up for your badges if you are attending the GeoLuau. This will automatically sign you up for the games. You don't have to play but if you do it makes registration go a lot faster for you and the registration girls.

Please include your kid's age so we can put them in the younger or older kid groups.

Please include your GPS make and model so we can note that on our sign up. It's not necessary but it's fun to see what type of GPS does the best on the field.

:o The GPS games, both adult and kids, are 'entry fee' based games. You'll need to bring a caching item (see the event web site for more details) to enter to play. Kids need to bring a kid appropriate item as their entry fee. If possible please make the kids items non-gender specific. They will be in surprise bags so the kids won't know if it's for a girl or a boy. Rule of thumb on the entry fee items is this ... if you would take it out of a cache or want to have it in your car for caching then it's a good item. Used golf balls, McDonalds toys are not good items. GeoCoins, first aid kits and the like are good items. The registration girls have the power to veto any item.

:( We will have a plug strip to plug your crock pots in and we will have some hot plates and warmers if you are bringing something that needs heating.

We will also have a cold table this year. Things that need to be cold can stay cold so don't be afraid of the potato salad!

:( And please remember to bring a towel and/or a change of clothing for the kids.....maybe even yourself. We have water bombs and a wading pool. There's a good chance you'll end up wet.

ALOHA!

There will not be any elevation guessing game this time as most of you know the elevation from last year. At registration you will be given a number. Keep track of it and we will give you your flag with the same number at the GPS Accuracy Game tent which will be at the entrance to the Alpha Site and the Bravo Site. We will shift between the two sites when it is necessary to clear the field and measure. You can only try for one site. Satellite reception is good and from past experienced we have found that the very basic GPSs have just as good chance of being close to GZ as the X models or the new Hx models. If you need help putting in coordinates etc. we will be glad to help. Looking forward to seeing all the returning participants and meeting the new ones. Dick W7WT

Edited by W7WT

My wife Arlene and I went to Jarstad Park today to set the GZs for the GPS Accuracy Game. We had good satellite reception using an external antenna at 15 feet and a accuracy of about six feet. I set the GPS to average and it went down to 3 feet when the batteries showed low. So I exchanged them and had about 8 feet. Started averaging again and let it average for a while and set the procedures we use to find the GZs. Went back and the accuracy was 18 feet. Looked at the satellite arrangement and they were in a row. NOT GOOD. So I will set the final coordinates early on the morning of the event. I think they will be more accurate. Two years ago in this same park we plotted the position of the planted flags. It the morning the flags were in a cluster around GZ and the accuracy was good. In the afternoon they were all off to one side about 7 to 10 feet. We didn't know this until we analyzed why those in the afternoon were further off than those in the morning. I am sure the satellites were in row like they were today. If possible for you to play the game before 1 PM, I think you would have better accuracy. I may be wrong but at least you will have a good excuse if you are way off from GZ. Dick

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

There will be three areas of registration this year. Adult, kids and THE PIRATES COVE!!

The Pirates Cove is where the kids pick up there maps and equipment to go on the Pirates Treasure Hunt. Our pirates are going to be dressed in costumes and the Cove may be a little scary to some of the younger kids. You might want to accompany your kids to the Cove just so no one ends up crying. It's sad to see a pirate cry...... :anitongue:

PLEASE NOTE.... there's a good chance that your kid will come out of the pirates cove with a scar, tattoo or beard. If you'd prefer that your kid not be painted to look like a pirate we STRONGLY suggest that you accompany your kid. And no, we don't have a problem painting a goatee on a little girl.....

The time schedule will be up on the event listing by the end of the week.

Events start at 11 AM and everything is done at 2:30 PM.

Raffle and announcements will begin at 3 PM or earlier if possible.

Edited by Shop99er

Checked the coordinates for the Alpha and also the Bravo Sites for the GPS Accuracy Game tomorrow. They are almost the same as last year's GeoLuau. If you are coming to the event, you might wish to go ahead and put both sites in your GPS. They are:

Alpha: N 47°31.817 W 122°42.517

Bravo: N 47°31.815 W 122°42.508

CU tomorrow. Dick W7WT

WHOOOO HOOOO!!!!

A lot of people have asked how we manage to have nice weather for the GeoLuau every year. Frankly, its a blood sacrifice to the great caching gods of events. This year Chooch72 took the event bullet for us by bludgeoning himself in the forehead with a post pounder.

Now you know.

Another successful GeoLuau and we have so many people to thank for it.

Many thanks to all of you who came from far and near and half way around the world to enjoy our hospitality.

One of those 'from far' was the Semper Questio family who happen to also be OUR family. Semper Questio is Mr. Shop99er's baby brother and we were overwhelmingly surprised and completely delighted to see him.

-Hawk- who is Tim for being co-host and the go-to-guy.

We'd also like to thank Gold Mountain Golf for providing us golf balls for our Poi Pitch game and the people who donated to make the Pirates Cove well outfitted with piratical gear.

And our incredible crew who never tell us no, who never let us down and who make the events what they are. They are, in no particular order:

Jeanne who is Cray'Z

Jen who is Snookie74

Alice and Tim who are SnowDogs

Lori, Roy and Dianne who are Seabeck Tribe

Donna who is QuadMommy

Steve and Dene along with their two wonderful girls who are The4Grays

Dick who is W7WT and the creator of the GPS game

Rick who is GeoDiver

Steve and Janet who are Misguided One and Wander Lost

Crystal who is ChillMama and our pirate wench

Russ who is MangoRider and our pirate

Derek and Brenda who are Elde and BrendaJean