The one coin to rule them all

general_tupperware

Sorry to play the devil's advocate here, however that image is of a ring, not a coin. How would it pass Groundspeak's Geocoin Policy, especially #4 :

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

The fact that the thickness is greater than the width would suggest to me that it is more 3 dimensional, and as such, not complying with the policy.

Just my thoughts....

mm

Sorry to play the devil's advocate here, however that image is of a ring, not a coin. How would it pass Groundspeak's Geocoin Policy, especially #4 :

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

The fact that the thickness is greater than the width would suggest to me that it is more 3 dimensional, and as such, not complying with the policy.

Just my thoughts....

mm

Well, if I'm not mistaken, one would only have to be concerned about following Groundspeak's rules IF the "coin" was to be trackable. For a non-trackable item, I imagine anything goes. Although, I agree that it would be a stretch to call this a "coin", one solution would be to make a "ring" ala the diabetes series. That would obviously meet Groundspeak's rules, but would be, for me, a less interesting "ring" than that shown above.

All in all, I say it's a great idea! I'll keep watching this space to see how it develops.

One way around this quandary would be to make a two-D coin with an image of the ring, in perspective, much as the original illo shows. One would need to change the script on the ring; while it is true that much of the material in LotR is still under copyright, there are zillions of bits of Tengwar, Quenya, Dwarfish and other scripts out there, done by private individuals (we own some), and the Tolkien Estate can't possibly stop it, but one doesn't want to have the exact lettering, just to be safe.

The bigger issue is, is this too derivative? As a Tolkien fan since 5th grade (and I'm in my mid-50s, so I pre-date most of the hooplah), I wouldn't call this sacrilegious (I don't think of Tolkien as god-like), but it *is* a bit too blatant. If you want to do something along these lines, put the scripting on an ammo box, and have a hobbit looking in the grass for it. Or even better, perhaps, would be to have a couple of flying nazgul circling overhead. I can see this in my mind's eye, but I'm not an artist, so I can't put my inner vision onto paper. There's a lot of room for creativity with the basic theme, without being overtly blunt about it. If you like these ideas, I'd be happy to accept a copper LE for the idea :shocked:

LOTR.jpg

This is just an idea. As a Lord of the Rings fan, I think it would be a neat coin. Hm...

Brass editions, and a limited edition "gold" (polished) that kealia would pay $100s for?

He he he :(

This design might work if where it is cut out, that it is solid to look cut out :shocked:

...and a limited edition "gold" (polished) that kealia would pay $100s for?

He he he :o

LOL - :(:shocked:

Would be neat as a hologram on a coin, too.

I was thinking that, too. Either a hologram or a lenticular lens with the ring image on it would be a way to keep it within the guidelines for approval.

It would be from the movie though I dont see much of a problem with copyright as nether ring nor elvish is copyrighted. More of a problem with "what does this have to do with caching".

The best design for me would have the lettering a translucent red (suncatcher) but I imagine that would be expensive.

We found a TB with this ring attached...Cacher of the Ring. One of our favorite TBs. The girls did not want to give it up!

Not entirely Unique for a TB. heres one i've been watching for some time.. The Precious

There's also a very cool one named "morbid Fashion" :shocked:

Cool...I never knew that there were other TBs like it. Maybe we'll be fortunate enough to find another someday.

As far as the coin goes...you can download the LTR fonts...type anything you like to put on the coin...maybe something about caching

Edited by DresselDragons

Woah, just noticed all of the posts.

Originally I was thinking of doing a 2D circular/ovular coin. I was also thinking of making some writing in English, but in a font that looks like the Elvish writing on the coin. There would be less blank space in the middle, just enough to put the tracking # on. Make the gold part the metal type (so only brass colours). I haven't started any art, or drafting, just putting the idea out there.

Any ideas for the 2nd side? Or make both sides pretty much the same, with writing dif.s?

All input appreciated.

GT

Woah, just noticed all of the posts.

Originally I was thinking of doing a 2D circular/ovular coin. I was also thinking of making some writing in English, but in a font that looks like the Elvish writing on the coin. There would be less blank space in the middle, just enough to put the tracking # on. Make the gold part the metal type (so only brass colours). I haven't started any art, or drafting, just putting the idea out there.

Any ideas for the 2nd side? Or make both sides pretty much the same, with writing dif.s?

All input appreciated.

GT

And the other side?

It would be from the movie though I dont see much of a problem with copyright as nether ring nor elvish is copyrighted.

While it may be true that neither rings (in general) nor elvish are copyrighted, the movie and the images, sound track, etc. contained within ARE! So, if the intent is to use material from the movie to make a derivative product (especially a commercial one), permission will have to be given from the copyright owners. I have no idea if permission would be granted, but if so, I can imagine that it will come at the expense of a licensing fee which would most likely increase the price of this "coin" drastically.

I don't know how intricate the coin manufactures can be but I think it would be neat to have the text completely cut out of the coin and filled with a translucent red. That way the back would be the mirror image of the text just like the prop ring and it would look like it glowed in sunlight. Another option would be to actually have the mirror of the text engraved on the back and have both sides field with a red glow color(if it exists). I also think the text should be in Tengwar or one of his other languages after all Tolkien was a linguist and it was the languages that inspired his stories not the stories that inspired the languages.