OK! WHO DID IT?

And How about a London Marathon CITO next year we help clean up afterwards and show London we do care?

I presume that it is the councils duty to clean up after the marathon, or there is some sort of arrangement? I believe to keep in with Groundspeaks guidelines, you would have to organise a certain area that only geocachers are going to contribute towards??

I've done a few London marathons in my time, but again not this year - not sure i'd have enough time for training these days, keep my exercise to caching these days!!

I was only thinking this afternoon that there should be a series along the route that could be done at the same time - kill 2 birds with one stone, (although if i remember correctly my main thoughts were how to keep running - so stopping frequently wouldnt help!) but there really would be too many muggles around!!

The London Marathon organisers and Greenwich Council do a first class job in cleaning up after the race. I know that as I drive to work, tomorrow morning, there will be no debris along the three miles of marathon road (I drive along) and the only evidence that there has been a race will be the blue lines on the road and the spectator barriers at the sides of some roads. The barriers are normally gone by Wednesday and the blue lines just disappear in a week or so. Greenwich Park and Blackheath, the starting points, are probably back to pristine condition already.

I assume other councils, along the route, do the same.

One of the other benefits of having the marathon on your doorstep is that all potholes and dodgy manhole covers are fixed before the race!

Edited by Master Mariner

I'm amazed at how quickly it all goes up and down. I drove down the Mall (in fact by coincidence nearly the whole bit from tower bridge to the finish) on Friday Lunchtime and the finish gate, barriers etc weren't anywhere to be seen. Along the embankment the barriers were up though.

Back on topic, I've registered to do a half marathon in Torbay this summer, but don't think I could contemplate double that :laughing:

Amazing, and bloody hard work!

One sunday a couple of years ago, I ran the Robin Hood Half marathon. I couple of Sundays later, I helped to rig and derig the crowd control barriers for the Great North Run. The latter was significantly harder than the former!

I was thinking of suggesting setting temporary caches along the route so a runner could geocache but theyd all be gone when everything gets packed up, but I can see a number of reasons that wouldn't work as they would still be muggles etc.

But how about trying to add more caches along/near the route, to be done anytime throughout the year. It could be walked and even done over a few days - great for those that would get exhausted from thinking of doing the actual marathon.

Also, how many caches are there on the London Loop route? Would be another one good to add to.

I was thinking of suggesting setting temporary caches along the route so a runner could geocache but theyd all be gone when everything gets packed up, but I can see a number of reasons that wouldn't work as they would still be muggles etc.

But how about trying to add more caches along/near the route, to be done anytime throughout the year. It could be walked and even done over a few days - great for those that would get exhausted from thinking of doing the actual marathon.

Also, how many caches are there on the London Loop route? Would be another one good to add to.

A London Loop GPX file. I have not counted the caches, since it took long enough forming the GPX!

The first cache I ever did, I was running & the other half was on his bike. I had worked up quite a sweat, then proceeded to search for the cache (a small one, but not a micro). Took me about 20 minutes. By that time I was starting to shiver a lot. I don't remember what time of year it was, but if you've been running & then stop, you can get cold pretty quickly if you're susceptible that way. Wouldn't recommend it.

quimbly