Flash Mob Cache Event May 20th

Lizzy

One of our local geocachers put together a unique geocaching event which everyone seems excited about. From what I understand, there are to be multiple events with this theme occurring all over at the same time. But, I only find three listed: Washington , California, and Ohio. It would really be interesting to see every state/country have one. Where are the rest?

That's 4 events. Of course there's a lot of time between now & May 20th, so there will probably be more posted by then. Too bad you can't make ours, Fairhoney. Maybe you could combine it with a caching trip to Snohomish County?

What a great idea.

What a stupid idea.

No offense, 4Bows, but the whole 'flash mob' meme is like four years old by now. In Internet years that is ancient, completely used up and outdated. These might have been fun back in 2003, when the whole flash mob thing was happening, but now they are just lame. And on top of it you're going to be passing out fliers? You really think these 'events' represent what geocaching is all about? You actually want to advertise to the public that geocaching is all about a bunch of people acting dorky in some park?

When I go to events, it's to hang out with my friends, meet new folks, trade bugs, gossip about fun caches, whatever. I can't do that at a 'flash event'. I'd be too busy signing some sheet and quickly pawing through trade items before they get locked away. We already have to deal with cheap throw-away micro caches. Now we have to deal with throw-away micro events?

What a great idea.

What a stupid idea.

No offense, 4Bows, but the whole 'flash mob' meme is like four years old by now. In Internet years that is ancient, completely used up and outdated. These might have been fun back in 2003, when the whole flash mob thing was happening, but now they are just lame. And on top of it you're going to be passing out fliers? You really think these 'events' represent what geocaching is all about? You actually want to advertise to the public that geocaching is all about a bunch of people acting dorky in some park?

When I go to events, it's to hang out with my friends, meet new folks, trade bugs, gossip about fun caches, whatever. I can't do that at a 'flash event'. I'd be too busy signing some sheet and quickly pawing through trade items before they get locked away. We already have to deal with cheap throw-away micro caches. Now we have to deal with throw-away micro events?

To each his own. One person's fun is another person's waste of time. The events are just for fun - something we all need more of. I don't think there should always be some deep thinking purpose to each event. If you don't like the idea, don't attend - nuf said.

For 'The Collector' - you might want to email one of the event owners for HTML for your own event.

What a great idea.

What a stupid idea.

You may think it is stupid, and others may think it is stupid, but there are many who may find it fun. Each of us has our own idea of what fun is. Don't cram your judgement down on others just because you think it is a stupid idea. Oh, you don't have to come if you don't think it is something you would like.

And yes, we are going to be passing out flyers. The flyers explain what geocaching is all about. Just because a group of people get together for 15 minutes does not mean that is their sole purpose in life. We thought it would be fun to try something a little bit different in our area for a change. This does not mean that it is going to be a permanent fixture in the geocaching world.

To each his own. One person's fun is another person's waste of time. The events are just for fun - something we all need more of. I don't think there should always be some deep thinking purpose to each event. If you don't like the idea, don't attend - nuf said.

No, that's a cop-out. I'm unclear how you got 'deep thinking purpose' out of "hang out with my friends, meet new folks, trade bugs, gossip about fun caches" or why you do not feel that sort of thing is fun, since you say you think we need more fun but aren't supporting the longer get-togethers instead.

We travel to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene for events all of the time, and now I see there's one of these 'flash events' scheduled in that area, by someone who lives nearly an hour away. So we should drive 2 1/2 hours for a 15 minute 'event' to sign a sheet of paper and leave? Show me where the fun is. A film canister under a light pole skirt is considered clever and fun when it's the first one in an area and the idea is new. When there's one every tenth of a mile in every mall and fast food parking lot the idea is used-up and lame. (And it spawns endless threads in forum after forum.) And back in 2003 flash mobs were clever and fun and new. Four years later? Not so much so. The organizers of these 'flash events' missed the boat.

All I can say is that whoever first got the idea of holding a 10 or 15 minute event must really like throw-away micros.

No, that's a cop-out. I'm unclear how you got 'deep thinking purpose' out of "hang out with my friends, meet new folks, trade bugs, gossip about fun caches" or why you do not feel that sort of thing is fun, since you say you think we need more fun but aren't supporting the longer get-togethers instead.

We travel to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene for events all of the time, and now I see there's one of these 'flash events' scheduled in that area, by someone who lives nearly an hour away. So we should drive 2 1/2 hours for a 15 minute 'event' to sign a sheet of paper and leave? Show me where the fun is. A film canister under a light pole skirt is considered clever and fun when it's the first one in an area and the idea is new. When there's one every tenth of a mile in every mall and fast food parking lot the idea is used-up and lame. (And it spawns endless threads in forum after forum.) And back in 2003 flash mobs were clever and fun and new. Four years later? Not so much so. The organizers of these 'flash events' missed the boat.

All I can say is that whoever first got the idea of holding a 10 or 15 minute event must really like throw-away micros.

Holy Mackeral! You are very tense over something that really isn't all that important. You missed my point. Play nice please - this is/was a nice friendly thread.

I also don't understand why you would hold an event that lasts longer than it would take to sign in (if more than a dozen people show up). I can't imagine people wanting to travel far to NOT meet anyone.

I am usually a half hour late to any event (not fond of being the first there)...I'd miss this one completely!

To each their own...have fun!

FLASH...I too will be hosting an event on May 20th...a bit more elaborate than these P&G events though! Mine will actually be ending on the 20th!

I suppose these COULD be fun for some...for a minute or two! Good luck! I'm more of the stay and chat type...give me a nice venue and some food (hey...gotta eat!). I see that guests are encouraged to stay afterwards...that's good! I'd hate to drive very far just to turn around and go back home (I just can't imagine anyone traveling far to go to these, so caching is likely going to be slight...most will have already cached the area?).

edit to add...will be interesting to see how far people travel.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

In my area, there's been four events since November that have lasted for ONE minute each. The nearby Flash Mob event will last for FIFTEEN minutes. Local event cache fans ought to be *grateful* for the extra time allowed for socializing. I hope they will find enough activities to keep themselves occupied with all those minutes to fill. Awkward silence can be so.... awkward.

Not at all. A flash event is just something a little different and fun to do. It can be looked at like a 15-minute cache hunt where you happen to run into a bunch of other cachers. Or you can use it as a meeting point to head out caching or go to lunch with friends. This current group of events has the added dimension of being synchronized so we can compare photos and stories at many locations.

Add one in Indiana to the list: GC12K2P

Luckily we don't even have to drive 1 mile for it either. Although it wouldn't be the first time we've driven a long ways for an event or a cache. Last year we drove 150 miles one way as the crow flys just to make it to the last 20 minutes of the Age of Discovery event in Michigan, and we had a blast. There were over 100 caching teams at the event, all of whom were still there as the drawing for the Garmin 60CSX wasn't held til the very end. After those 20 minutes, we cached in the area and got to meet a few of the cache owners, 1 of which co-sponsored the event. Our daughter got to meet a little girl that was a travelbug, which gave her the idea to want to become one.

We have also traveled over 300 miles round trip for a single cache, just to go after a Geocoin Fairy coin, and had a blast on that adventure as well.

Caching is what you make of it, if you want it to be fun it will be. If we spend 15 minutes a day caching, that's a great 15 minutes in my book, find it or not.

Just my $0.02

FLASH...I too will be hosting an event on May 20th...a bit more elaborate than these P&G events though! Mine will actually be ending on the 20th!

I suppose these COULD be fun for some...for a minute or two! Good luck! I'm more of the stay and chat type...give me a nice venue and some food (hey...gotta eat!). I see that guests are encouraged to stay afterwards...that's good! I'd hate to drive very far just to turn around and go back home (I just can't imagine anyone traveling far to go to these, so caching is likely going to be slight...most will have already cached the area?).

edit to add...will be interesting to see how far people travel.

I am organizing one that is 5356.4 miles from my home coordinates :anicute:

What a great idea.

What a stupid idea.

if you think it is dumb then don't go

if you think throw-away micro caches are dumb then don't find them

i say kudos to those who are putting these unique events together

nate

Attended our local Flash event & it was lots of fun!!! Nice to see the less-serious side of events & what a big turn-out!! Lots of long distance travelers for this one too. Hope the others were just as fun.

if you think it is dumb then don't go

if you think throw-away micro caches are dumb then don't find them

i say kudos to those who are putting these unique events together

nate

Unique?

There are 20 on the bookmark list! wow

Hardly.

Throw-away micros take space that could be used for more interesting caches. Throw-away events take time that could be used for more interesting gatherings. This weekend rather than go to the nearest 'flash event' we drove the same distance to a regional 'meet and greet' where we visited with the locals including several we previously knew only from log entries, gave the young children time to run around as much as they wished, chatted about past finds and discussed new ideas, gossiped about our experiences while out hiking and camping, shared our homemade dishes at the potluck and generally had a grand several hours.

Somehow I think we had more fun than the flash event folks did.

Throw-away micros take space that could be used for more interesting caches. Throw-away events take time that could be used for more interesting gatherings. This weekend rather than go to the nearest 'flash event' we drove the same distance to a regional 'meet and greet' where we visited with the locals including several we previously knew only from log entries, gave the young children time to run around as much as they wished, chatted about past finds and discussed new ideas, gossiped about our experiences while out hiking and camping, shared our homemade dishes at the potluck and generally had a grand several hours. Somehow I think we had more fun than the flash event folks did.

The flash mob cache was an interesting and unique (for us) break from the usual meet-and-greet. Although it was staged as a distinctly local event, a few people came from other cities and we even attracted out-of-state visitors passing through. Definitely fun.

It's good to mix things up. We did the potluck dinner social last month. Next month we have a campout. A well-staged quickie this month fit in nicely and people were grinning despite the rain.

742fbe0f-9686-45c3-aa31-5992b12b9079.jpg

One person's idea of unique is another's idea of a waste of time and gas. What is unique about this?? When the time comes to throw a graduation or wedding, are you now going to have a "flash mob" gathering? Will that be sooo much better than the REAL thing??

Next time you want to have a family reunion, are you going to pick a parking lot and have the attendee sheets waiting in rows? Come on!

And Fluteface...what fun did you have that could have possibly beat the experience we had at our event? I'm not sure you'll get the same logs as what our event has...maybe because we TRULY had a great time?? Then again, I'm not much at rushing to get out the door, rushing to find parking and then rushing to sign the sheet.

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I believe I am entitled to my views just as you are. As I said before, to each their own, but I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

The whole idea of an event is camaraderie isn't it? How is there any time to meet anyone, talk and enjoy yourselves? And if you say that everyone just stays after and "meets", why not just plan something more than throwing hershey's kisses at a set coordinate at a set time (hope things don't get delayed by a few seconds)?

I stand by that comment BTW...either that person was just rude or too hurried to care where that bike was!

Man...the soap box is getting worn out! Variety is the spice of life and this event added a different twist - a kooky, fun loving event, no real "social" deep-meaning purpose, no negative purpose; just different. I suppose we could beef about people that eat food with mustard on it (I can't stand mustard) - but life's too short to moan about things we don't like that others might, especially when it's not that important.

If I had started a topic like, say "Flash Cache Events, love them or hate them", well then of course, it would be expected to see negative as well as positive comments. This wasn't expected and the title of this topic didn't state that it was a forum for "why you do or don't like this type of event". You are correct in saying you have a right to your opinion - I whole heartedly agree! But, it would be nice if you would go ahead & start a new topic just for that purpose & place the negative comments there. The events are over, ours was a great time with a great turn-out with some great fun-loving people. It appears that the other cache events were on the positive side too. Don't bash people because they had a good time & you didn't like that, for whatever reason - that would be sad.

Go ahead & give us your last two cents worth - it appears to have some sort of twisted entertainment value for some & ignoring the negative has done little, but to give incentive to some to re-state the same negative opinions over & over & over & over in the hopes of getting some sort of attention. Hopefully after that, a moderator will close this topic & put it out of it's misery.