The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ahem........ sorry, been at a seminar all afternoon so have to play catch-up.......

Michelangelo didn't design the swiss guard uniform - it didn't exist in it's current form until 1910!

It is commonly thought that the uniform was designed by Michelangelo, but it would seem rather that he had nothing to do with it.

That's from the Vatican website........they might know something about it!

Given recent, err, questions and answers of contentious quality, I'm taking executive action on this thread. Under article 23 of the UN charter on Forum Etiquette, I, as thread-initiator, can pose my own question at any time if I believe the quiz has jumped the tracks and is heading down an embankment towards a local Tesco.

So, without an internet search OR using a dictionary, can someone tell me how a 92 year old woman can be nubile?

Given recent, err, questions and answers of contentious quality, I'm taking executive action on this thread. Under article 23 of the UN charter on Forum Etiquette, I, as thread-initiator, can pose my own question at any time if I believe the quiz has jumped the tracks and is heading down an embankment towards a local Tesco.

So, without an internet search OR using a dictionary, can someone tell me how a 92 year old woman can be nubile?

When being described by a 97 year old man? :lol::lol:

Tesco? You must be Off Yer Trolley!

Edited by The Bongtwashes
Doesn't nubile mean "of marriageable age" or something like that?

P

Izzy and the Lizard King gets a very speedy DING! Nubile means, literally, able to marry. So she could be any age. Over to you, but keep it i) Pubby and ii) having one, clear, correct answer!

Sorry Keehotee. You were even 'righter' than IatLK but they were quicker and close enough.

No right answer yet. It isn't necessarily the tallest (in fact it isn't). It's the largest exposed MASS (and it's been made into a sort of monument by having carvings put on it).

P

As I was told so often many years ago when doing exams, answer the question that is asked, not what you THINK the question is... :)

Who was the second man to go into space, when and the name of the spacecraft?

Do we actually know for sure that the Russians hadn't sent men into space before Gagarin? maybe they just kept quiet until they got one back safely?

I'm just being argumentative again, aren't I.

Yep! I bet you don't believe in Santa either!!!! :)

Actually - if we're being really pedantic - outer space starts 100km straight up - somebody could have gone that high in a balloon before NASA sent anybody up...... but they wouldn't have lived to tell

Oh well - better think of a question then........

1: Double Bowline. nope

2: Round turn and two half hitches.ding

3: Double Thumb Knot. ding - (also double overhand)

4: Figure Eight. ding

5: Reef Knot. ding

6: Bowline .ding

7: Handy Billy (It's actually a figure 8 on a bight and a round turn and 2 half hitches, used as an improvised block and tackle) - hmmmmm - tempted to give a hemi-ding - as shown it's actually a wagonners hitch, 'cause it's been tied off.......

8: Clove Hitch.ding

9: Rolling hitch.ding

10: Sheet Bend.ding

Which I think gives you 2 1/2....

Do we give it to Marty or wait for the last correct answers...?

Naaaaah - over to Mr Bartfast.......................

With number 1 I was in 2 minds whether it was the Spanish or Portuguese & having now looked it up in a book of knots it is the Portuguese Bowline.

Name the 5 principal characters, and the main characters pet, who lived in a village which was surrounded by Aquarium, Totorum, Laudanum & Compendium.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Asterix, Obilix, Dogmatix(?), Hygenix, Err, the Druid... I've got some of the books somewhere but I can't find one at the moment!

First three right, and although Hygenix was a character he's not what I would call one of the principals (the one's who have a mini biography on the intro page).

Edited by MartyBartfast

Come on Paul

Asterix, Obelix, Dogmatix, Getafix, Vitalstatistix,..... I know you're right with those but I can't remember any other names. You must remember the others. Put me out of my misery. Wasn't there a minstrel or something?

Was Julius Caesar counted as a main character.

All right so far, so the DING goes to whoever names the bard (who always finsishes up tied to a tree while the rest of the village has a feast on the back page)

I have now found Asterix in Spain, but not before I'd Googled the answer as it was 'doing my head in'. I can confirm it ends in 'ix' :wub:

Well I'm going to give Paul the DING for getting all the others, and also for being scrupulously honest, the bard was Cacofonix.

My all time favourite character name in the Asterix books was a Roman called Nefarius Purpose :blink:

Thanks very much. Give the character names associated with the following (mostly British TV) catchphrases (last one right gets the ding):

1) "'I am smoking a faaaaaag!"

2) "'Have you seen it?"

3) "Bite my shiny metal a**!"

4) "You plonker!"

5) "Niiiice. Grrrrrreat."

6) "Yeah, but no, but..."

7) "Sorry CJ"

8) "I don't believe it!"

9) "You dirty old man!"

10) "Que?"

11) "You silly moo!"

12) "I have a cunning plan"

13) "He's fallen in the wah-terrr"

14) "You stupid woman!"

15) "You stupid boy!"

16) "No, no, no, no...yes"

17) "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on..."

18) "Sweetie, darling"

19) "I'm free!"

20) "Yeah-I-know."

21) "He's 'avin' a laff!"

22) "Booyakasha!"

23) "How very dare you!"

24) "What you talkin' about Willis?!"

25) "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk."

26) "D'oh!"

27) "Galic bread?"

28) "Feck! Arse! Girls!"

29) "Ah-ahh!"

30) "There's only one way to find out. Fight!" (It's not his real name...)

31) "This is a local shop for local people."

32) "My arse!"

Edited by Simply Paul