The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

1) "'I am smoking a faaaaaag!" Waynetta Slob - Harry Enfield & Chums - CHC&MB

2) "'Have you seen it?" Not the 'Have you Seen it on the Trolley?' woman. Think Washboard.

3) "Bite my shiny metal a**!" Yes it's a robot, but no it's not Metal Mickey! (If only, lol! - the fact it's a** not arse tells you something)

4) "You plonker!" Del Boy/Derek Trotter - CHC

5) "Niiiice. Grrrrrreat." 'Jazz Guy' (close enough, he's actually called Louis Balfour) - Fast Show - MB

6) "Yeah, but no, but..." Vicky Pollard - Little Britain - CHC

7) "Sorry CJ" Reggie Perrin - Fall and Rise... - CHC

8) "I don't believe it!" Victor Meldrew - One Foot in the Grave - CHC

9) "You dirty old man!" Harold Steptoe - Steptoe and Son - CHC

10) "Que?" Manuel - Fawlty Towers - CHC

11) "You silly moo!" Alf Garnett - Various - MB

12) "I have a cunning plan" Sodoff? Baldrick - Blackadder/II/the 3rd/Goes Forth - CHC&MB

13) "He's fallen in the wah-terrr" Yes it's The Goons, no it's not Bluebottle

14) "You stupid woman!" Rene Artois (to his wife) - Allo Allo - MB

15) "You stupid boy!" Capt. George Mainwaring (to Pike) - Dad's Army - CHC&MB

16) "No, no, no, no...yes" Jim Trott - Vicar of Dibley - MB

17) "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on..." Mrs Doyle (Joan, but this is never said onscreen) - Father Ted - CHC

18) "Sweetie, darling" Eddie (Monsoon, but I'll let it go!) - Ab Fab - CHC

19) "I'm free!" Mr (Wilberforce Claybourne) Humphries - Are You Being Served? - CHC

20) "Yeah-I-know." Andy what? - Little Britain - CHC&______

21) "He's 'avin' a laff!" Andy Millman is Ricky Gervais' character in Extras, but he's playing someone else in When The Whistle Blows...

22) "Booyakasha!" Ali G - Various - CHC

23) "How very dare you!" Derek... what? - Catherine Tate Show - Dino-irl&_____

24) "What you talkin' about Willis?!" Arnold.... what? - Diff'rent Strokes - CHC&_____

25) "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk." Rowley Birkin Q.C (close enough!) - Fast Show - MB

26) "D'oh!" Homer Simpson - The Simpsons - CHC

27) "Galic bread?" Peter Kay as....?

28) "Feck! Arse! Girls!" Father Jack - Father Ted - CHC

29) "Ah-ahh!" Alan Partridge - Various - CHC

30) "There's only one way to find out. Fight!" (It's not his real name...) Harry Hill (Dr Matthew Hall) - Harry Hill's TV Burp - MB

31) "This is a local shop for local people." Edward... what? (I'm flexible on spelling!) - The League of Gentlemen - MB&_____

32) "My arse!" Jim Royle - Royle Family - CHC

Edited by Simply Paul

20) "Yeah-I-know." Andy what? - Little Britain - CHC&______

Pipkin?

Never heard his surname....must be an obscure one or else I'm deaf :D

24) "What you talkin' about Willis?!" Arnold.... what? - Diff'rent Strokes - CHC&_____

Drummond???? That may be adopted name though?

2) "'Have you seen it?" Not the 'Have you Seen it on the Trolley?' woman. Think Washboard.

3) "Bite my shiny metal a**!" Yes it's a robot, but no it's not Metal Mickey! (If only, lol! - the fact it's a** not arse tells you something) Bender Bending Rodríguez -Futurama - keehotee

5) "Niiiice. Grrrrrreat." 'Jazz Guy' (close enough, he's actually called Louis Balfour) - Fast Show - MB

12) "I have a cunning plan" Sodoff? Baldrick - Blackadder/II/the 3rd/Goes Forth - CHC&MB

13) "He's fallen in the wah-terrr" Yes it's The Goons, no it's not Bluebottle or Eccles...

17) "Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on..." Mrs Doyle (Joan, but this is never said onscreen) - Father Ted - CHC

19) "I'm free!" Mr (Wilberforce Claybourne) Humphries - Are You Being Served? - CHC

20) "Yeah-I-know." Andy Pipkin- Little Britain - CHC&Dino-irl

21) "He's 'avin' a laff!" Andy Millman is Ricky Gervais' character in Extras, but he's playing someone else in When The Whistle Blows...Ray (Stokes. Good enough) - Extras Series II - MB

24) "What you talkin' about Willis?!" Arnold.... what? - Diff'rent Strokes - CHC&_____ Not Drummond

25) "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk." Rowley Birkin Q.C (close enough!) - Fast Show - MB

27) "Galic bread?" Peter Kay as....? Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights - MB

30) "There's only one way to find out. Fight!" (It's not his real name...) Harry Hill (Dr Matthew Hall) - Harry Hill's TV Burp - MB

31) "This is a local shop for local people." Edward... what? (I'm flexible on spelling!) - The League of Gentlemen - MB&_____

Nearly there!

Edited by Simply Paul

2) "'Have you seen it?" Not the 'Have you Seen it on the Trolley?' woman. Think Washboard. Arthur Atkinson - Fast Show - Keehotee

3) "Bite my shiny metal a**!" Yes it's a robot, but no it's not Metal Mickey! (If only, lol! - the fact it's a** not arse tells you something) Bender Bending Rodríguez -Futurama - keehotee

13) "He's fallen in the wah-terrr" Yes it's The Goons, no it's not Bluebottle or Eccles...but it IS Little Jim! - The Goon Show - Congratulations to Team Sieni, who get the DING!

20) "Yeah-I-know." Andy Pipkin- Little Britain - CHC&Dino-irl

21) "He's 'avin' a laff!" Andy Millman is Ricky Gervais' character in Extras, but he's playing someone else in When The Whistle Blows...Ray (Stokes. Good enough) - Extras Series II - MB

23) "How very dare you!" Derek Faye - Catherine Tate Show - Dino-irl&T-girls

24) "What you talkin' about Willis?!" Arnold.... what? - Diff'rent Strokes - CHC Not Drummond Jackson! Well done CHCs

27) "Galic bread?" Peter Kay as....? Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights - MB

31) "This is a local shop for local people." Edward Tatsyrup (I'm flexible on spelling!) - The League of Gentlemen - MB&T-girls

13) "He's fallen in the wah-terrr" Yes it's The Goons, no it's not Bluebottle or Eccles...but it IS Little Jim! - The Goon Show - Congratulations to Team Sieni, who get the DING!

Oooh crikey.

Just for knowing little Jeeeeem?

Seems a bit sneaky seeing as it was about the only one I knew. But here we go.

Whose marriage failed and resulted in amicable separation after she chose her husband after seeing only his feet?

For an extra *optional* dinglet, who was her husband? who did she REALLY hate? And how did her hatred of him result in earthquakes? (These are is just for fun, not needed for the ding.)

Oooh crikey.

Just for knowing little Jeeeeem?

Seems a bit sneaky seeing as it was about the only one I knew. But here we go.

Whose marriage failed and resulted in amicable separation after she chose her husband after seeing only his feet?

For an extra *optional* dinglet, who was her husband? who did she REALLY hate? And how did her hatred of him result in earthquakes? (These are is just for fun, not needed for the ding.)

Sounds like it could be a Greek Goddess so I'll go fore Hera Goddess of marriage

We might be needing a little clue for this one!

OK, she is a mythological character. She had her choice of husbands, but could only see their feet. She chose the nicest feet, but didn't get the guy she wanted. She married her choice but they didn't get on well due to the fact each preferred their own home, and they came from quite different places.

Absolutely no clue on this one - never heard that story, so I'm guessing it's not Roman or Greek, Norse maybe? Mt guess is Freya - i think that's a norse goddess anyway.

You have the right myths. But it's not Freya.

I guess a bit of googling can be allowed to keep things moving. I'll be back later this afternoon.

Technically the lady in question was a giantess, rather than one of the Aesir or Vanhir (the Gods) but she is sometimes referred to as a Godess.

The one she really hated was, in a roundabout way, the force behind a Jim Carey movie some years back.

That would be Loki then. I think The Mask referred to him. My knowledge of Norse Giantesses is rather less extensive(!)

Yes, she really hated Loki, cos Loki killed her father, the giant Thiazi, and bragged about it. However, it must be said that Thiazi was asking for it, having kidnapped Idun, keeper of the golden apples.

Maybe I've misjudged the mood here a bit on enthusiasm for the Norse myths. So google away.

Found it by googling! Skadi.

DING To CHC!!

Here's some background

The story goes that Thiazi the giant kidnapped godess Idun, keeper of the golden apples, which were the source of eternal youth to the gods. Loki, the trickster went and rescued Idun, having first had a good laugh at Odin and Thor and Sif all getting old and decrepit. As a result of this Thiazi was killed.

Skadi, who had a bit of spark about her (one of the few women in the myths who wasn't either utterly wet or a vile crone), put on her father's armour and skied all the way to Asgard (where the gods lived) and demanded recompense. The gods offered her a husband, and she was allowed to choose a husband from amongst the gods but only by looking at their feet. She chose the nicest feet hoping that it would be drippy goody goody Balder, the Fotherington-Thomas of Asgard. In the event she got Njord, god of the sea whose feet were nice and soft from all the paddling he did.

They went to live at his place by the sea but she couldn't stand the shrieking of the gulls, so they moved to her place in the mountains but he couldn't stand the howling of wolves. They tried alternating between residences, but that didn't work so they separated.

Skadi had a hatred of Loki, who brought about her father's death (although let's face it, he really shouldn't really have kidnapped Idun in the first place). So when the Aesir grew sick of Loki's taunting, after he had caused the death of weedy Balder, everyones favourite, they tied him to a rock (using the intestines of one of his sons, that they happened to have handy) where he will stay until Ragnarok (the end of all things) and Skadi set a poisonous snake above his head. Loki's dopey wife Sigird sits with her husband holding a bowl to catch the venom that drips from the snake. However, she has to empty it from time to time, and the venom then to drips onto Loki's face, causing him to writhe. This is the cause of earthquakes, and also of a series of films starring Jim Carey.

Skadi is sometimes called the godess of winter (and hunting?), or the snow-shoe godess.

There are quite a few re-tellings of the Norse myths. Some are for children (and are none the worse for it). They are generally short-ish stories and there aren't many of them. My favourite book (not a children's retelling( is by Kevin Crossley-Holland and has lots of notes on the sources etc. I love the fact that the gods are so fallible. That, for instance Thor is really a bit dim. The shame of it is that there are so few of them, and that there are hints of lost stories - such as the idea that Skadi and Loki may have been lovers at one point.

What an interesting one!

First person to answer all four correctly:

1. Inventor of the cat flap.

2. Inventor of Cat's Eyes.

3. Cat's have more bones than humans...T or F?

4. Cats have more skeletal muscles than humans... T or F?

(I too have guaged this wrong before, but don't think it's too difficult - probably too easy!)

1. Sir Isaac Newton (Or so the answer was when I set the question a few weeks ago...)

2. Can't remember his name, but he was from the Halifax area, there's a cache commemorating the event and I believe legend has it he had the brainwave on the Queensbury to Halifax road. The company that makes them still bears his name. Is using the GC website banned too? :anibad:

3. True

4. True

That'll be a DING to MartyBartfast. I don't understand how a cat can have more bones AND less skeletal muscles but they do.

Well I knew the first two, it was then fairly trivial to deduce the cat questions from Keehotee 's & Guanajuato's scores (thanks chaps ;) ).

Right, ABSOLUTELY NO GOOGLING for this one:

What colour are each of the letters in the word GOOGLE on the famous search page.

Ding goes to the first person to reply with the word GOOGLE written in the right colours!!!!!

Edited by MartyBartfast

Been squinting and

7. might say Hawkman - ding

10. might say Elastine - nope

Ness.

So I make that, so far.....

Marty Bartfast - 3

Nediam, and Izzy etc 2 each

CHC and dino 1 apiece

first one to no.10 gets to fight for the ding...!!! :laughing:

As a clue......she had a blind boyfriend.

Edited by keehotee