The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

As those are my dates, father in bed on the night of 28th but pronouced dead on the 29th

From timbuckley.com:

Coroner's Report, Dr. Joseph H. Choi: Timothy Charles Buckley III died on June 29, 1975 at 9:42pm from acute heroin/morphine and ethanol intoxication due to inhalation and ingestion of overdose.

So you were a couple of years out I think. Well done to imajica though. I though that was a tough question.

a.

As those are my dates, father in bed on the night of 28th but pronouced dead on the 29th

From timbuckley.com:

Coroner's Report, Dr. Joseph H. Choi: Timothy Charles Buckley III died on June 29, 1975 at 9:42pm from acute heroin/morphine and ethanol intoxication due to inhalation and ingestion of overdose.

So you were a couple of years out I think. Well done to imajica though. I though that was a tough question.

a.

Trping error I am afraid, saw Tim Buckley June 1974

Radio 1 and 2 full of Jeff Buckley last night.

Well I'll give it a DING

I'll take the DING under any circumstances, I just read a different month in the bastion of reliability that is The Sun :(

Ok. Who (allegedly) filmed themselves burning one million pounds in 1994?

They're justified, and they're ancient, and they drive an ice-cream van.

I'd better give the correct answer then - The KLF. I bet they're kicking themselves now.

Where was the world's fist set of traffic lights, as we understand them, sited? (The city will do, but if you can name the square too, you'll get a Dong - It's like a Ding, just bigger :( )

Lights, not signals. There's a three-sided reproduction sited near the original's location.

The Victorian Westminster device was more like a semaphore or railway signal system. If it helps, the ones I'm looking for were erected in 1924. If you think that's a bit late, earlier lights were manually controlled - these were automatic. That's efficiency for you.

Lights, not signals. There's a three-sided reproduction sited near the original's location.

The Victorian Westminster device was more like a semaphore or railway signal system. If it helps, the ones I'm looking for were erected in 1924. If you think that's a bit late, earlier lights were manually controlled - these were automatic. That's efficiency for you.

My dad used to tell me that the first traffic lights in the UK were in Leeds, no idea which square/street though.

I thought there was a Trivial Persuit question which asked something along the lines of what blew up outisde the Houses of Parliament in the late 1800s (dunno exact date), killing a policeman?

Answer = worlds first set of traffic lights (which were presumably gas)

As for the lights you ask about, I have no idea! That's trivia for you!

Thanks Paul...

Since we are off to Cumbria first thing I will ask an easy one. If someone else can offer the ding to the first person with the correct answer it would be appreciated.

Tomorrow (June 2nd) is the 150th aniversary of the birth of a famous composer... but which one?

Helen

It's camping season and as all I seem to do is look at forecasts and weather, I thought I'd ask a weather related question.

Since records began, the highest 24 hour rainfall of 279mm was recorded in July 1955.

Scarily, it's not that far from a camping event that happened!

Now the question is......

Where abouts did this happen?

Where's the nearest cache (to keep it on topic)?

It's camping season and as all I seem to do is look at forecasts and weather, I thought I'd ask a weather related question.

Since records began, the highest 24 hour rainfall of 279mm was recorded in July 1955.

Scarily, it's not that far from a camping event that happened!

Now the question is......

Where abouts did this happen?

Where's the nearest cache (to keep it on topic)?

Capel Curig in Wales? :D

(Always seems to get a lot of rain)

No one said British...

...but it's a Ding! for Team Phoebe anyway! Yep, tomorrow will be Elgar's 150th birthday and he's looking good for his age. Over to TP.

Rats! I was at a concert, but would have known that as a certain GeoDog is registered with the Kennel Club under the name Enigma Eduardo of Ealing !!!!!! However, GeoDog himself has to wait three more weeks for his birthday. :D

Scarily, it's not that far from a camping event that happened! Where abouts did this happen? Where's the nearest cache (to keep it on topic)?

The centre of the thunderstorm was over close to GCGGB1 Kismet Hardy in the upper catchment of the River Wey, close to the Hardy Monument on Black Down. The resulting flash flood from 2 hours of intense rainfall burst through the village of Upwey and you can still see the tide mark inside St Laurence's church in Upwey.

However it wasn't all bad news as the huge pulse of sediment into the Radipole Lake helped to create the marshes in the centre of Weymouth which are now one of the RSPBs landmark reserves.

Oh I supose I should put my hand up and say all the research for this was done back in November 2006 while preparing for a a series of caches along the Wey Valley Way, which apart from the one close to the mouth of the river was never placed.

I'm not sure there's anywhere that far north in the UK. The sun is more likely hidden by hills or a mountain around midwinter than by the curve of the Earth, with the community in a valley at its foot. Must be a big hill and a deep valley to keep the sun out for 83 days a year. A very interesting question, but as I don't know of any such community, it's not one I'll be giving a sensible answer to. I look forward to hearing the correct answer - sounds like an amazing place.

.... The sun is more likely hidden by hills or a mountain around midwinter than by the curve of the Earth, with the community in a valley at its foot. Must be a big hill and a deep valley to keep the sun out for 83 days a year. .... sounds like an amazing place.

Mhh this looks like SPs onto the correct reasoning, and it is indeed an amzing place with several possible candidate GeoCaches to choose from. :blink:

Methinks that this could be an advert for Arran,......... and there are a couple of geographic contenders,........... and there are a number of caches that have the name of Jango & Boba Fett against them.

Strange that no one has consulted the Guiness Book of Records as I'm sure I've seen a copy of a page from a previous edition in the local pub ..... :)

Lochranza!!!!!!!!!!!

Cache

And reading the map I thought the location would not have been as open as it is.

DING!!! - though I think you would have been better to choose one of Big Rab's or Thunderbird30's caches which are down in the valley rather than Lunga 2 Cache which is ontop of a hill and gets direct sunlight on every day of the year. The actual designation of Lochranza as Britain's dullest (sic) place was made about 19 years ago at which time the local Met Office weather observer lived in a house tucked in close to a cliff. Subsequently a couple of different folk have been the weather observers and for most of us here we do see the sun through the year, but apparently Lochranza still holds the record.

I'd better give the correct answer then - The KLF. I bet they're kicking themselves now.

Totally out of sync with the rest of the World I know - but it wasn't the KLF that burnt a million pounds - it was the K Foundation, an organisation founded by Bill Drummond et al using the profits from the KLF, The Time Lords, and the Justified Ancients of MuMu after those bands had all folded.

Crikey I'm a pedant aren't I - and sorry - would have been sooner, but I only lurk on here occassionally.....

Edited by keehotee

Totally out of sync with the rest of the World I know - but it wasn't the KLF that burnt a million pounds - it was the K Foundation, an organisation founded by Bill Drummond et al using the profits from the KLF, The Time Lords, and the Justified Ancients of MuMu after those bands had all folded.

Crikey I'm a pedant aren't I - and sorry - would have been sooner, but I only lurk on here occassionally.....

I could have sworn in my question that I'd put I'd accept any of their names, but I clearly didn't. I think I gave up after spending ten minutes working out the plural of alias so that I didn't attract any comments from lurking pedants :ph34r: