The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

ISTR that Henry VIII formed the first 'corps of marines' in the fifteenth century. Edited to add: so the country is England!

I'd be impressed as he was born in 1491 so 9 at the end of the fifteenth century on December 31st 1500

Yeah, you're right - that should have been 16th century (with the benefit of hindsight and Google)! The Mary Rose had a complement of marines as early as 1511, which pre-dates the Spanish. That said, they were 'marine infantry' and not Royal Marines, the latter being inaugurated in the seventeenth century.

ISTR that Henry VIII formed the first 'corps of marines' in the fifteenth century. Edited to add: so the country is England!

I'd be impressed as he was born in 1491 so 9 at the end of the fifteenth century on December 31st 1500

Yeah, you're right - that should have been 16th century (with the benefit of hindsight and Google)! The Mary Rose had a complement of marines as early as 1511, which pre-dates the Spanish. That said, they were 'marine infantry' and not Royal Marines, the latter being inaugurated in the seventeenth century.

:) nor were those marines anything to do with today's boot boys, who date back to 1664. Oldest marine force, not which country had one first.

Edited by NattyBooshka

I Googled after making my post and, rather strangely, the Bittern seems to have the reputation of having the loudest call even though scientific measurements suggest otherwise.

The Bittern is an elusive bird and its 40dB is easily drowned by 55dB traffic noise, which is one of the reasons given for its decline -- potential mates cannot hear its call above traffic noise. In contrast, herring gull calls have been recorded at 85db+ (i.e. more than 64 times as loud as the Bittern) and you wouldn't want to be in a gull colony for very long as levels over 110dB have been recorded!

There isn't one. However, I'll give way as I wasn't trying to get the ding; merely trying to point out that the question was ambiguous and not as straightforward as one might think. FWIW, I've even found YouTube footage of bitterns booming and being drowned out by more-distant geese! Loudness is subjective and depends on frequency as well as sound pressure.

That said, I suspect that in terms of sound pressure measured in dBm (i.e. dB at one metre distance), that the bittern probably has it!

There isn't one. However, I'll give way as I wasn't trying to get the ding; merely trying to point out that the question was ambiguous and not as straightforward as one might think. FWIW, I've even found YouTube footage of bitterns booming and being drowned out by more-distant geese! Loudness is subjective and depends on frequency as well as sound pressure.

That said, I suspect that in terms of sound pressure measured in dBm (i.e. dB at one metre distance), that the bittern probably has it!

From what I've read the loudest bird in Britain is neither of those - and nobody's got the right answer yet ;)

OK. Hopefully an easy one...

Which compositional work ends with the words, "And that's how the High Command took my Daddy from me."

The Wall?

The right band, but AIUI this wasn't in the original 'Wall' (stage version). As it was included in the film (but not at the end), I'll give it to you if nobody gives the name of the track by tomorrow evening!