The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Well I had in mind two old geezers who were most likely get it, and you were one of them!!!!

DING

Gee, thanks for that. I guess that I'm really showing my age! I wonder how many others had to learn four systems of units (Imperial, CGS, MKS, and SI) while at school and then have to use both imperial and metric at work - often together.

FWIW, I was thinking of asking a real stinker on mixed units (thickness in mm of 20lb MS plate). However, I won't. Instead, another for the oldies:

By what name is Elaine Bookbinder better known?

Your Excellency?

More seriously, papal names that spring to mind are Benedict (present pope is Benedict XVI), John-Paul (the last was John-Paul II), and Gregory (ISTR Gregory XVI). However, when John-Paul I was made pope ISTR that one of those compound names went into the twenties. I'll guess John with Paul as my first reserve!

Darn it! always happens when you answer in depth - so I'll have to go with my first reserve of "Paul"!

Pretty sure you are both right with John, there have been twenty odd popes with the name of John. Benedict and Gregory as Pajaholic said have both been chosen 16 times.

EDIT: Lol, I was close. Knew it was something starting with twenty!

Edited by Hawkins2

Pretty sure you are both right with John, there have been twenty odd popes with the name of John. Benedict and Gregory as Pajaholic said have both been chosen 16 times.

EDIT: Lol, I was close. Knew it was something starting with twenty!

Pope John XXIII died when I was a kid ... he opened the second Vatican Council but passed away during, and Pope Paul VI took over B)

John?

23 apparently.

DING!

See? 11 years of Catholic education not wasted on me ... haha! :laughing:

One of my favourite films as a teenager was Fratello Sole, Sorello Luna.

Who are the two main characters depicted in the film and where is it set?

Ok... off to google for me... Graham Faulkner as St Francis is my limit! Well... maybe with Assisi as a location?... anything else I post is a cheat.

What little Italian I have tells me that should be Fratello Sole, Sorella Luna (Brother Sun, Sister Moon), but I didn't know it was the title of a film let alone the two characters and where it was set (unless it's the Sun and Moon and it's set in the Heavens!)

I googled it...I'm pretty sure I saw this on TV a few times growing up, and the B & W version as well, but would never have remembered the actors names (I never do). Dorsetgirl did give a clue in an earlier comment about her childhood! There is one very famous actor in it - never knew he played that part/person! :ph34r:

Right. If we're going to form this mega pub quiz team Jady was talking about above we need a volunteer to watch a lot of foreign films, we're obviously no bloody good!

When we used to do pub quizzes one of the members had the name and date of every Grand National winner pinned to the back of his toilet door so that he could contemplate them as required. That's the kind of commitment we need.

(Once he'd learnt them all we never got a single question about the GN). C'est la vie (that's your actual French).

Edit for not being able to speell in frech, probably still not right.

Edited by The Patrician

I think you just volunteered for the French films (lying down with a flannel at half time is advised, especially if there's a Jules or Jim in the title). My daughter is having real problems with French at school and I am having a daily battle with her to try to look at the revision books I got her to catch up over the hols, so don't talk to me about bloddy French, ok?

Put me down for chocolate teapot questions. I like chocolate, and ...oh, make that chocolate coffeepot questions.

My daughter is having real problems with French at school and I am having a daily battle with her to try to look at the revision books I got her to catch up over the hols, so don't talk to me about bloddy French, ok?

I can empathise with her. I wasn't too bad with most school subjects* but I just couldn't get to grips with learning a new language. I was useless and it's so hard to get enthused to revise for something that you just can't grasp.

*With an also notable exception of PE but I didn't have to revise for that, I just went out and tried to have fun with it despite being useless!

I can empathise with her. I wasn't too bad with most school subjects* but I just couldn't get to grips with learning a new language. I was useless and it's so hard to get enthused to revise for something that you just can't grasp.

Empathise with me! I couldn't get to grips with it either, and now I'm going through it all again!

Lol, I can sympathise with you but not having children I haven't had to go through trying to help someone else to revise and understand another language! Something for me to (hopefully) look forward to in the future!

Mind you, I am a primary school teacher and they're trying to tell us that we should be teaching French. I think that me trying to teach French is worse than not learning it at all, the secondary schools would have to 'unteach' all the french I'd taught and then reteach it properly! Anyway, I digress...

Time for a new question perhaps?

I googled it...I'm pretty sure I saw this on TV a few times growing up, and the B & W version as well, but would never have remembered the actors names (I never do). Dorsetgirl did give a clue in an earlier comment about her childhood! There is one very famous actor in it - never knew he played that part/person! :ph34r:

He's the reason I knew the film... Tangents on the film he was reluctantly best known for.

French is the only O Level I took but never passed. Twice.

Oddly whenever we go to France I am usually appointed official translator (because no one else will do it, although much more highly qualified). I get one of those learn yourself Franglais CDs out of the library and listen in the car for a week or two before we go. In fact in a shop at the Pont du Gard I was buying SWMBO a timbre pour Angleterre to put on her postcard and put 'per favore' on the end of my request, well we'd been in Italy the year before and I'd probably had a couple of vins at lunchtime. "Amazing" said the lady behind the counter "an Englishman who speaks Italian ("un Anglais qui parle italien" if my memory serves)". I was feeling pretty cosmopolitan after that I can tell you.

Edited by The Patrician

John?

23 apparently.

DING!

See? 11 years of Catholic education not wasted on me ... haha! :laughing:

Ok... off to google for me... Graham Faulkner as St Francis is my limit! Well... maybe with Assisi as a location?... anything else I post is a cheat.

Oh I missed this earlier! Looks like NattyBoushka did get 2 parts right...

Ok as nobody as managed to pull it together, I'm taking the DING! Ha!

The film name translates as Brother Sun, Sister Moon.

It was about the lives of St Francis and St Claire and was based in Asissi.

Next question:

I'm looking at 32 capsules at the moment, one may be missing and one is purple, what am I looking at?

That sounds a bit like the london eye. The purple one is the VIP section.