The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

4 horror movie characters have been played by the same actor on at least 6 occasions in films. Sir Christopher Lee: Dracula, Robert Englund: Freddy Krueger, Tobin Bell: Jigsaw...

The other is a part time member of extreme metal band Cradle of Filth.

The ding for the character and film.

A ding and a pint for the actor!

Edited by NattyBooshka

I believe he played the role "the man" in a film called Cradle of fear! That was Dani filth the lead singer :P

Dani did indeed play the man in Cradle of Fear... But he hasn't played the man in 5 other movies. Nor is he a part time member of the band. The character in question is nowhere near as obscure!

4 horror movie characters have been played by the same actor on at least 6 occasions in films. Christopher Reeve: Dracula,

What do I get for pointing out that Christopher Reeve was Superman, whereas Dracula was Chrisopher Lee ? :rolleyes:

You get to point and laugh!!

Will edit... Can't believe I mixed those two up!

4 horror movie characters have been played by the same actor on at least 6 occasions in films. Sir Christopher Lee: Dracula, Robert Englund: Freddy Krueger, Tobin Bell: Jigsaw...

The character's Pinhead, from Hellraiser (1, 2 etc)

No idea what his real name is. And had no idea he was in Cradle of Filth, either.

The character's Pinhead, from Hellraiser (1, 2 etc)

No idea what his real name is. And had no idea he was in Cradle of Filth, either.

Ding!

Liverpool's Doug Bradley does narrative on several Cradle Of Filth songs, but due to acting commitments and contracts has yet to appear in a video, with other actors playing his roles.

A childhood friend of Clive Barker, he took the role of Pinhead in Hellraiser and played the characte in the first 8 hellraiser movies. Bill Bradley is credited on some of the films as a make up artist... This was Doug, using his middle name, and he's credited as he has become expert in applying the make up and masks required for the cenobites.

OK :)

The latest official UK Mega event is in a few weeks, in Wales (but there may be an unofficial one a week before that... ;) )

What did mega originally mean, what does mega mean in the scientific community - and how long has it been in use?

Mega means 10^6 or 2^20 (as in megahertz = 10^6 cycles per second; or megabyte = 2^20 bytes) depending on context to the scientific community. I suspect it's Greek and originates with the ancient Greeks - so it's been in use for over 500 years (D'oh! - I meant 500 years BC - see note). I can't speak Greek but I'll guess it means what we mean in a non-scientific sense: i.e. huge or awe-inspiring depending on context?

Note: Edited to correct timescale. I meant 500 years BC, so it's been in use for over 2,500 years.

2nd Edit: Having heard nothing all day, I re-examined the question and realized the timescale thing is ambiguous: i.e. the question could be asking how long has it been used by the scientific community. So I'll give that a go.

AIUI, the earliest scientific use as a unit multiplier can't pre-date the first metric scientific system of units, which was introduced just after the French Revolution - i.e. late 18th century. It was definitely in place when the CGS system was introduced in the mid-nineteenth century. So its first 'scientific' use must have been during the half-century between those dates.

Also, I suspect the part of the question that asks what did it originally mean may also be ambiguous. AFAICT, 'mega' first came into the English language in the scientific context to mean 'decimal million'.

Edited by Pajaholic

The latest official UK Mega event is in a few weeks, in Wales (but there may be an unofficial one a week before that... ;) )

What did mega originally mean, what does mega mean in the scientific community - and how long has it been in use?

Mega means 10^6 or 2^20 (as in megahertz = 10^6 cycles per second; or megabyte = 2^20 bytes) depending on context to the scientific community. I suspect it's Greek and originates with the ancient Greeks - so it's been in use for over 500 years (D'oh! - I meant 500 years BC - see note). I can't speak Greek but I'll guess it means what we mean in a non-scientific sense: i.e. huge or awe-inspiring depending on context?

Note: Edited to correct timescale. I meant 500 years BC, so it's been in use for over 2,500 years.

2nd Edit: Having heard nothing all day, I re-examined the question and realized the timescale thing is ambiguous: i.e. the question could be asking how long has it been used by the scientific community. So I'll give that a go.

AIUI, the earliest scientific use as a unit multiplier can't pre-date the first metric scientific system of units, which was introduced just after the French Revolution - i.e. late 18th century. It was definitely in place when the CGS system was introduced in the mid-nineteenth century. So its first 'scientific' use must have been during the half-century between those dates.

Also, I suspect the part of the question that asks what did it originally mean may also be ambiguous. AFAICT, 'mega' first came into the English language in the scientific context to mean 'decimal million'.

most definitely a pub knowledge question then eh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

most definitely a pub knowledge question then eh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10^6 and "great" hopefully a little more than pub knowledge, more the common bit. 2^20 is def pub knowledge, and techie... Lots of techies here. So, looking fir the catch.

LOL - close enough for a DING :)

lmao... something to do with Helen of Troy... don't remember her being sliced though

I cheated...and you are not far wrong....although..

Rule 2 - Try and keep your question at the level someone in a pub quiz might be able to answer...

You must go to different pubs than me!! :lol:

Edited by eusty

Anyway, staying with units of measure, what is a millihelen?

"Is this the face that launched a thousand ships and burned the topless towers of Ilium?" or similar - Faust?

The amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Edit for speellling

Edited by The Patrician
"Is this the face that launched a thousand ships and burned the topless towers of Ilium?" or similar - Faust?

The amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

From the Iliad, or Song of Ilium (attributed to Homer), after Paris abducted Helen and took her to Troy the Achaeans set sail with a thousand ships to get her back. Thus the beauteous Helen of Troy is known as "the face that launched a thousand ships" and a millihelen is, indeed, the amount of beauty required to launch a single ship!

Fractions of a millihelen are, allegedly, fine also. For example, a tenth of a millihelen might be sufficient to launch a couple of sailors. The millihelen can be combined with the unit of alcohol, the standard drink, to give the drink-millihelen, which in part is a measure of the 'beer goggles effect', it taking correspondingly less beauty to launch a matelot after an increasing number of drinks!

Over to The Patrician.

I see that Helen herself launched 1186 ships, giving her a rating of 1.186 Helens, and that there are also negative Helens which cause the ships to be launched but to row off in the opposite direction.

Some other units of measure are the beard-second which is a unit of length inspired by the light-year, but used for extremely short distances such as those in nuclear physics. The beard-second is defined as the length an average beard grows in one second (Kemp Bennet Kolb defines the distance as exactly 100 angstroms) and of course the Thaum is a measuring unit used in the Terry Pratchett series of Discworld novels to quantify magic. It equals the amount of mystical energy required to conjure up one small white pigeon, or three normal-sized billiard balls. It can, of course, be measured with a thaumometer.

On with the question, an easy one I hope:

Broadsword calling .....

Who, and in what?

Broadsword calling .....

Who, and in what?

I remember hearing this uttered with a posh Port Talbot accent as ISTR it's Richard Burton's character in 'Where Eagles Dare', which was on Films4men or similar only last week. However, I'm darned if I can remember the name of the character :unsure:

Broadsword calling .....

Who, and in what?

I remember hearing this uttered with a posh Port Talbot accent as ISTR it's Richard Burton's character in 'Where Eagles Dare', which was on Films4men or similar only last week. However, I'm darned if I can remember the name of the character :unsure:

Broadsword calling Danny Boy

<Can't remember the rank> John Smith?

Where Eagles Dare

Edited by NattyBooshka

Broadsword calling Danny Boy

<Can't remember the rank> John Smith?

Where Eagles Dare

Spot on! Hard luck Pajaholic, so close.

Over to Natty.

I read books and watch films that are used as song titles... dunno why... that one an Iron Maiden song in 1983.

So, I'll link it... kind of.

Dalton Trumbo wrote the anti-war book Johnny Got his Gun in 1938.

Dalton Trumbo wrote and directed the film of the book in 1971, Donald Sutherland played Jesus. It won he Grand Prix Spécial du Jury at Cannes (the second most prestigious award) and yet was little known or seen.

In 1989 the film was used in a music video, giving it its biggest audience to date. Name the band and the song.

The music video created interest in the film, until its DVD release VHS copies were selling for £250 on ebay. The book has also seen a great increase in sales.

Thats the good thing about my mum an dad been sooo wide spread with their music likeness! From Metallica to fleetwood Mac to Slipknot to prodigy :)

Right lets leave the music track and go for something completly different

What is the collective name for a group of Crows?

U better not be googling NB..... :blink: