The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

:( Every time I check this thread the questions have been answered and waiting for a new one!!

Sorry, for the delay ... In the same theme as Keehotee's question: From what materials and in what shape do native americans traditionally make their wigwams?

Well the old 'conical tent' structure with poles sticking out of the top isn't a wigwam, it's a teepee.

The wigwam is a sort of yurt shaped affair (like a big igloo), but I've no idea what they're made of, I would guess bison hides stretched over bent sticks.

I think you are right with the sticks, but I also remember seeing pictures with them covered with long grass/rushes. Guess they use whatever they can to keep the rain off!!

DING!

Both you and MartyBartfast avoided the heffalump trap of mistaking teepees for wigwams!

Traditionally, wigwams are made in the form of a dome from a frame of bent saplings covered by bark sheets or cattail (reed) mats depending on location and season. http://www.nativetech.org/wigwam/construction.html gives a lot of detail for anyone wanting to make their own ;)

:( Every time I check this thread the questions have been answered and waiting for a new one!!

I'd like to use that as an excuse but I just find I can't answer most of the questions! Have come close to answering one correctly but mostly they are a little more intellectual than the questions in the quizzes I frequent. We did go to a pub on holiday once that did a quiz from a mensa quiz book. I think we got something like 2 out of 20!

I'd like to use that as an excuse but I just find I can't answer most of the questions! Have come close to answering one correctly but mostly they are a little more intellectual than the questions in the quizzes I frequent. We did go to a pub on holiday once that did a quiz from a mensa quiz book. I think we got something like 2 out of 20!

Ok..seeing it's my turn for a question....easy one :)

What do the rings on the Olympic flag/banner represent?

Ok..seeing it's my turn for a question....easy one :)

What do the rings on the Olympic flag/banner represent?

AFAIK Unity of nations. They are linked and they represent at least one colour of every world flag.

Thanks.

On to the next question: Besides being professions and/or hobbies, what do poetry, painting, architechtural design, town-planning and aeronautics have in common?

Guessing you might be sticking to a theme....?

Are they all activities from the early modern olympic games - or included in cultural olympics?

Guessing you might be sticking to a theme....?

Are they all activities from the early modern olympic games - or included in cultural olympics?

DING!

I guess that I'll have to stop being so obvious ;)

They are all past Olympic disciplines. (http://olympic-museum.de/art/artcompetition.htm for these and even weirder, complete with results!)

Over to keehotee.

I thought it was another trick question: I was going to say "letter T" :unsure:

MrsB

Why are pirates pirates? Because they "Arrrrrr"!

I thought the terms were pretty much synonymous. Pirates attacked anyone regardless of country of origin, privateers (a private man o' war) operated under Letters of Marque issued by a government permitting them to attack enemy vessels. Are buccaneers considered more privateer than pirate?

I've read the Hornblower, Aubrey & Maturin & Captain Pugwash books, I know this stuff.

Buccaneers eat bouccan, pirates eat like pigs, I dunno.

Why are pirates pirates? Because they "Arrrrrr"!

I thought the terms were pretty much synonymous. Pirates attacked anyone regardless of country of origin, privateers (a private man o' war) operated under Letters of Marque issued by a government permitting them to attack enemy vessels. Are buccaneers considered more privateer than pirate?

I've read the Hornblower, Aubrey & Maturin & Captain Pugwash books, I know this stuff.

Buccaneers eat bouccan, pirates eat like pigs, I dunno.

Ding.....

Pirates were murderous scumbags who attacked anyone and everyone for profit - buccaneers carried Letters of Marque issued by states giving them "legal" rights to attack the enemies of that state.

Many of you will know of Jon Snow (he of the Channel 4 news), but he had a 19th century namesake John Snow, so

What was John Snow's occupation, and what is he best known for?

Was he the doctor who discovered the cause of cholera down that well in London?

DING

Indeed he was, and it was the Broadstreet pump in Soho.

Thanks.

Besides being the King and Queen of Fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream, who or what else not of this world are Oberon and Titania?

I believe that they are moons circling one or more of the planets a bit further out in our solar system but I've no idea which one(s).

I believe that they are moons circling one or more of the planets a bit further out in our solar system but I've no idea which one(s).

Good enough for a ding! They're two of the moons of Uranus.

BTW, I had to include the phrase, "not of this world" in the question as they were also warships. HMS Oberon was an Oberon-class submarine and HMS Titania a submarine depot ship.

Over to Pharisee.

BTW, I had to include the phrase, "not of this world" in the question as they were also warships. HMS Oberon was an Oberon-class submarine and HMS Titania a submarine depot ship.

Over to Pharisee.

Over to Pharisee.

Ok.... What's the relationship between 'The eyeballs in the sky' and 'The pooliverse'

The eyeballs in the sky are an annual phenominon to the residents of the pooliverse.

They actually belong to the family dog of the Perishers comic strip. Every year they go on holiday and the dog looks into a favourite rockpool (the pooliverse). This is known by the residents of the pool as the eyeballs in the sky.

Edited by thehalibutkid

The eyeballs in the sky are an annual phenominon to the residents of the pooliverse.

They actually belong to the family dog of the Perishers comic strip. Every year they go on holiday and the dog looks into a favourite rockpool (the pooliverse). This is known by the residents of the pool as the eyeballs in the sky.

I knew that!

Boot/Boots is the dog?

Pharisee: thanks for bringing back memories of Boot staring into the rock pool and dozens of crabs below chanting in unison, "All hail the eyeballs in the sky"! My parents took the Daily Mirror (in which The Perishers appeared) but I never did and so I haven't seen that strip since leaving home in the early 1970s!

That would be a big DING to you, sir! The Perishers has to right up at the top of the newspaper cartoon strips... So many different characters but the 'Pooliverse' crabs were my favourites.

Edited by Pharisee

Er.. Bradley Wiggins, Yellow, 2011? (AIUI, by being race leader of the TdF you win the yellow jersey for the next stage)

Wiggins crashed out really early this year. I don't think he held the Yellow Jersey at any point. But to clarify. Who was the last brit to hold a jersey of any colour at the end of the tour de france on the Champs-Élysées