The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Aha, the ex-pilot in me knows this ...

You would most commonly see it as a condensation puff or vapour cone around or behind an aircraft and from memory, I think it is due to a sudden drop in air pressure.

I think it would need to be a jet plane, I don't think the little single engine Cherokee that I flew would be capable of the speed required to generate the air flow to drop the pressure like that!

You would most commonly see it as a condensation puff or vapour cone around or behind an aircraft and from memory, I think it is due to a sudden drop in air pressure.

I think it would need to be a jet plane, I don't think the little single engine Cherokee that I flew would be capable of the speed required to generate the air flow to drop the pressure like that!

A transonic ding for the lady! You can also see them when a whip is cracked, or around some nuclear explosions(!) They're formed when... Learn more here, if you'd like to.

A transonic ding for the lady! You can also see them when a whip is cracked, or around some nuclear explosions(!) They're formed when... Learn more here, if you'd like to.

Why thank you kind sir!

I didn't know the bit about the whip, fascinating. Trust you to know about whips!

...cough, cough, moving swiftly on ...

I recently attended a meeting at The Olympic Delivery Agency (ODA), the question is, what is the logo on the top of the building it is situated in?

Is it Barclays ?

Ding, ding, ding to gazooks!

Yes, the ODA is based at One Churchill Place, which is indeed the Barclays building, it has their logo on top.

What I was most fascinated with was the security arrangements, 'cos it was constructed after 9/11 it has a central core and at the start of the meeting we were insturcted in case of security alert to make our way not out of the building but to the apparently secure central core, which has enough space for everyone in the building!

Over to you gazooks.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Maillot Jaune ... Yellow: leader of the race

Maillot Vert ... Green: leader in the sprint points

Maillot à Pois ... is that polka dot? King of the mountains

Maillot Blanc ... white: Best young rider

DING

I thought the Blanc might cause more problems than it did, its the best under 25 year old.

If the leader of the race is also king of the moutains, leader in the sprint points and under 25, do they have to wear all 4? Wouldn't that make them a bit hot?

I thought the Blanc might cause more problems than it did, its the best under 25 year old.

The Tour is gettng more and more popular in the UK these days. I'm a relative newcomer to following it, but I have friends who have been tour nuts for years, and rather resent Johnny come latelys like me muscling in on "their" sport.

Anyway, here's my question.

In the 19th century, what imprisoned Frenchman was inspired by watching worms to invent a shield that revolutionised transport.

IK Brunel's dad, Brunel senior - and it was a tunnelling shield.......

Ding to Keehotee

While in prison for debt, Marc Brunel (father of Isambard Kingdom Brunel) came up with his design for the "Brunel Shield" for tunnelling on the basis of the way in which the ships worm Teredo Navalis tunnels through wood. This revolutionised tunnel construction.

Interesting little museum to visit if you are in the area.

If nobody minds I'll jump in with one......

.....What was the last ever line on "Cheers"?

(I'm heading for work so won't be able to give a ding until 10am so feel free if you know the answer and someone else gets it correct)

Wasn't is something like "sorry we're closed"?

If nobody minds I'll jump in with one......

.....What was the last ever line on "Cheers"?

(I'm heading for work so won't be able to give a ding until 10am so feel free if you know the answer and someone else gets it correct)

Wasn't is something like "sorry we're closed"?

Close enough....it was just "We're closed" so Ding to Chizu :rolleyes:

Don't feed him after midnight

This really bothered me, because it's always after midnight isn't it? Could you give a gremlin breakfast at 8am? That's 8 hours after midnight! So is there a threshold - say five hours, in which case would it not have been better to phrase it as "between midnight and 5am". :rolleyes:

Don't feed him after midnight

This really bothered me, because it's always after midnight isn't it? Could you give a gremlin breakfast at 8am? That's 8 hours after midnight! So is there a threshold - say five hours, in which case would it not have been better to phrase it as "between midnight and 5am". :rolleyes:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by this!

The other thing is which midnight? Local midnight isn't easy to calculate and the 24 world time zones are just a convention. Also who's to say what time it is at the poles?

Well I have always assumed that it was midnight gremlin-time, that is according to the circadian rhythmn of the gremlin itself. This shouldn't normally be a problem unless you travel to another time zone, or when the clocks go forward, when you may find yourself feeding your gremlin at 11:30 and to your horror find out that it is 00:30 gremlin time. At the poles - especially in summer - you would also have increased risk of exposure to sunlight, what with the midnight sun and all, so obviously it's best not to take your gremlins there.

The whole thing was a bit iffy if you ask me, but luckily I don't take films too seriously :rolleyes::)

Neither do I! What do you take me for, some kind of pedantic nerd? :P