Muggle Interaction

egami

This is perhaps a worthy "newbie" topic. I am still fairly new overall.

What's the general concensus on Muggle interaction? I get the feeling some people avoid it at all costs. Granted, you don't want Muggles mugglizing caches and such, but where is the line between avoiding Muggles in caching situations and sharing your hobby with a potential convert?

Personally, I don't worry about avoiding them if I think they are mature enough to respect geocaching and the cache itself. Obviously, some situations would warrant avoiding the cache if you felt those individuals might jeopardize it's existance or something.

I think what you do will vary pending on the situation and you have to go with your gut feeling.

A dad with a few kids in tow who seems genuinely interested might be a good person to share geocaching with. Someone who seems confrontational, it might be a good idea to make something up. Teens boys, I hate to stereotype, but having been one myself I would probably not let them know what I was doing. If its a cop you are best off being honest.

Edited by briansnat

That's kind of what I figured and how I approach it.

It just seems like some of the replies on this forum lead me to believe people avoid a cache if any Muggle is in sight. Just was curious what the general thought was.

Thanks. :P

I'm new at this too. What I've been doing if I see someone approaching me when I'm getting near a Cache, is just back off a little and wait to see if they pass. If they are more "nosy" then "inquisitive" I just make up something. One fellow caught me off guard as I didn't see him approach me. He was mostly curious, so I told him what it was, and what I was doing. He never did really grasp about the GPSr though. Like mentioned, I just play it by ear, and go with my feelings.

Regards Sonny

I've always wanted to use the line "I'm using billion dollar satellites to track Tupperware"

But alas, i haven't had much opportunity.

Go with your gut really, if they seem the curious type, fill them in, if they seem the obnoxious type, don't...

I have a grand total of 1 find. Today I went to a spot near a park and was probramming GPSr while sitting in truck. When I got ready to start looking, some young folks had arrived to walk their dogs. I waited and waited but they didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave. So I went home to wait for another time. On the News the police were looking for someone "Lurking" around a park where kids were playing! Holy Cow!

How do I avoid this situation?

randyinaloha

Most of the time I try to be as inconspicious as as possible and avoid contact. There have been a few times that I have explained geocaching to them and then they went on their way and I kept on searching and even a couple of times they tried to help me find the cache!! Never had a muggle find a cache with me yet though. But like I said every situation is different and you have to use judgment to guage every situation.

As a fellow "newbie" myself, I usually try to dodge any potential interaction if I can help it. I did get "caught" by someone as I was heading toward a cache. I didn't realize I was walking through private property to get there. I figured I should simply "Be Honest about it". Once I told the lady what I was doing, she was really interested. I told her the "clues" on the cache and she knew the general area and told me the quicker way to get there. I doubt that she would join us, but I saw it as an opportunity to share the wonderful experience I've had in the last month with this!

Most people don't pay any attention to you if you act like whatever you are doing is something you are supposed to be doing. Once in a great while, someone becomes really intent on learning what we are doing, and we just go ahead and explain it to them.

We were hunting in an 'ol fishin' hole kind of place once when we were suddenly descended upon by a group of young people who had come there to swim. Dressed in jeans and carrying GPS units, we didn't look like we were there to fish or swim, so they flocked around us to see what we were doing. We immediately went into teacher mode and showed them how the GPS works. We explained what we were looking for, and they were fast to spot the cache (a film cannister). They were delighted. The cache is still there a year and a half later, so obviously we made the right choice.

We've explained ourselves to a couple of land-owner's neighbors a time or two, but they didn't seem interested once they learned we weren't up to anything nefarious. The only other time we really had anyone wonder what we were doing was when a police officer stopped to see why we were frisking a barrier. Once we explained it to him, he used his mega flashlight to find it in thirty seconds (We had been looking for twenty minutes!) We couldn't get him to sign the log, but I suspect he may look into caching at some point. He should, he was a natural!

Check out the following link Let's Go Geocaching Brochure I keep at least a half dozen in my caching gear. They are especially helpful when trying to explain to people what you are doing.

Thanks, I've actually seen this and I am getting some to take with me. Glad you brought it up...because the first time I got caught I was kind of startled by the Muggle and when they asked me what I was doing I told them I was looking for Ectoplasm. :)

Seriously, great suggestion.

This is perhaps a worthy "newbie" topic. I am still fairly new overall.

What's the general concensus on Muggle interaction? I get the feeling some people avoid it at all costs. Granted, you don't want Muggles mugglizing caches and such, but where is the line between avoiding Muggles in caching situations and sharing your hobby with a potential convert?

Personally, I don't worry about avoiding them if I think they are mature enough to respect geocaching and the cache itself. Obviously, some situations would warrant avoiding the cache if you felt those individuals might jeopardize it's existance or something.

While I know that kiling muggles as a method of geomuggle abatement has become quite the rage in several regions of the US and across the world, I personally prefer never to kill geomuggles unless they behave in a really annoying fashion, or unless they have seen to much (i.e., cache location, etc.) and would thus likely prove to be a danger to the geo-community.