First time Camo-ing a cache

This is my first time I am camo-ing a cache with out using factory made camo (camo duct tape :anibad: )

I have been planning this cache for about a month. I have planned out where to hide it, gotten an ammo can, filled it with geo-approved goodies and now just need to camo and take co-ords. I was wondering if the method I'm planning on using is good or not. Here are the supplies.

Supplies:

1 army surplus ammo box

1 hand sized rock from surrounding area

1 can of black spray paint

Method:

1.Take rock and grind it down into small chunks and powder.

2.Spray Paint ammo can black

3.Cover ammo can with rock using the paint almost like glue.

4. Shake off excess rock

Is this going to work... Tell me experienced cachers.

This is my first time I am camo-ing a cache with out using factory made camo (camo duct tape :anibad: )

I have been planning this cache for about a month. I have planned out where to hide it, gotten an ammo can, filled it with geo-approved goodies and now just need to camo and take co-ords. I was wondering if the method I'm planning on using is good or not. Here are the supplies.

Supplies:

1 army surplus ammo box

Method:

4. Shake off excess rock

I don't see why this would not work somewhat. Spray paint does stay tacky for a little while.

A layer of Goop® may work better than the paint. It gives something for the crushed rock to hang on to. I predict the crushed rock will be significantly lighter colored than the original stone. As they say, "Spot test in an inconspicuous area first".

Instead of pounding rock, let Nature do the work for you by taking a few cubic inches of dirt from the area and putting it in a pail full of water. Swish it around a bit and pour off the water while the silt and organic debris is still in suspension. Dry the remainder and that should be somewhat representative of the rock of the area.

Paint is a poor adhesive for shale. You could try using spray adhesive for the fine, powdery shale. I'd use Goop, Gorilla Glue, or Hot Glue to attach the bigger pieces.

Why the black under coat?

I'd use spray adhesive to finely cover the ammo can with powdered shale, so the ammo cans overall color matches it's surroundings.

The effect you are trying for could easily be accomplished by spraying the box (one side at a time) with 3M Adhesive, then simply throwing gravel and the associated dust onto it, from any gravel road or driveway. Spray next side and repeat. You could even use dry grass, or brown dirt, sand, etc. :D

The effect you are trying for could easily be accomplished by spraying the box (one side at a time) with 3M Adhesive, then simply throwing gravel and the associated dust onto it, from any gravel road or driveway. Spray next side and repeat. You could even use dry grass, or brown dirt, sand, etc. :P

I was picturing covering the whole thing in spray adhesive, then throwing it down a dune. Very free form... :P

Whatever you do, a couple coats of a sealant would help make the camo more durable.

Good Luck! :o

One of my camo attempts involved 3M adhesive spray. I was not at all impressed with its handling characteristics. My experience was that it wasn't adhesive enough to hold well, and this problem escalated as the medium being applied increased in weight. I still have than can gathering dust on my shelf. Your mileage may vary though. Whatever you end up trying, I hope you'll post a pic in the CCC thread.

Good luck!

been there and done all that with the ammo boxes. You are in for alot of frustration. In order to get anykind of glue to stick, you're going to have the grind the metal until it is rough...... that is the ONLY way any glues are going to stick to it in order to adhere anything to it. Might add your going to have alot of time invested in this and even when finished, you've still only got something that is square shaped and sticks out like a sore thumb.

I have opted for black/brown/green spray paints. Find you some shrubbery, bushes or dark shadowed areas to hide the box and you'll be amazed at how it blends in at that point.

This is my first time I am camo-ing a cache with out using factory made camo (camo duct tape :P )

Supplies:

1 army surplus ammo box

Method:

4. Shake off excess rock

First time in the forum and I find this topic interesting. My first camo attempt was with a tube of weather proof construction adhesive (all of it) smeared over most all surfaces of a regular ammo can. Then while still, pressed it into pine/fir needles on the forest floor but I saved the handle for last paste a stick on top. It made a sticky can (as in pine cone sticky) :lol:

Another camo scheme by my neighbor - he collected dust and dirt from the area his planned a hide. He used Bondo to the shape of rocks in the area and covered with the dirt/dust for the cache, and then he used the same technique on small flat rocks on only one side, applied the dust, then scratched a "petroglyph" icons into the bondo'ed surface and wrote coordinates on the opposite for the multi-steps. It made is tough :P

This doesn't fit the "rock" theme, but, for one of the three (yes a whole three) caches I have out I made a mini ghillie suit for the ammo can. From a few feet away it simply blends in. The cloth is attached to the handle so it won't be left off when cachers replace the container. I've got another one made for another cache that I have in the works. I made these with old burlap sandbags, the same way that we made them in the military. Plan to check back on that one cache periodically, but so far it seems to be holding up.

been there and done all that with the ammo boxes. You are in for alot of frustration. In order to get anykind of glue to stick, you're going to have the grind the metal until it is rough.

I think that largely depends on the adhesive used. I use clear silicon caulk, and I've never had to grind anything.

eba44b39-1634-4f11-9f0e-ec0476a9d447.jpg

Nice job! If not for the handle, a quick glance at the pic and you wound't even relize what it was!