Garmin $$$

Bushrod

The 76CSX floats.

I think the same hardware and firmware is also in the 60CSX which is smaller but it doesn't float. If you are going to be using your GPS in a boat you might prefer the 76, the 60 is smaller and leaner and works just as well.

Garmin also makes the GPSMAP 76 & 60 without colour, that saves a ton of money and doesn't change the functionality.

Disclaimer : I haven't been GPS shopping for awhile. I own a Garmin GPSMAP60C (no s, no x) and an Explorist 210.

They're probably singing the praises of the 76CSX because they are trying to unload them. Even though the 76CSX is an excellent unit, its slightly smaller fraternal twin, the 60CSX sells much better. I think most people prefer the form factor of the 60 line over the 76 line.

But you really can't go wrong with the 76CSX and now that you know that the vendors are eager to unload them, you can use that as a bargaining point.

Garmin also makes the GPSMAP 76 & 60 without colour, that saves a ton of money and doesn't change the functionality.

Not quite true. The GPS Map 76 is nothing like the Map 76CSX other than the looks. The Map 76 doesn't autoroute, the 76CSX does. The Map 76 doesn't have the Sirf technology that gives the 76CSX that awesome reception and the Map 76 has a meager 8 megs of map memory while the 76CSX has expandible memory and supports up to 2 gigs. The Map 76 has been in Garmin's line for about 6 years and is ancient in the GPS world, while the 76CSX uses the latest technology.

Though the Map 60 autoroutes, it doesn't have Sirf technology and it only has 24 megs of fixed memory rather than the up to 2 gigs that the 60CSX supports. Yes, the Map 60 is a fairly recent addition to the Garmin line and can be a good deal, but it is functionally, nowhere close to the 60CSX.

Before you buy whatever GPSr the store is trying to sell you, take a look at the unit's specifications and compare it to other units. Recently, I went about upgrading one of my GPSrs. I ended up choosing the Venture CX. It had all the features that I wanted and was about half the price of a 60CSX or 76CSX.

Sometimes, I really miss my old GPS III+. It used a great form factor and did a good job of pointing me to the caches.

I just got a 76CSX with the SIRF II chip and it's great. Have not tried it in the woods yet with leaves, as it's still winter here and will be for the next 8 months. But anyway, the 76CSX has all the bells and whistles you could want. But the basemap that comes with it has only highways on it and cities, and exit numbers. There are no other streets on it, just be aware of that. You can buy a map with streets if you want and put it on this GPS.

I had major problems with my Geko 201 in the woods (basically no reception if there were leaves on the trees), so if the 76csx works in the woods in the summer, I'll be impressed.

I paid $400 (out the door price, which includes shipping) for mine mail order, but I'm glad I spent the money on it. I will not need to upgrade for many years, if at all.

Edited by chuckr30

I bought the 76csx a couple months ago, and I'm wholly impressed with it. I bought it because it's nearly identical to the 60csx, but some places sell it for less, even though the 76 comes with a larger memory chip (not that it's a big deal, I bought a 1gig chip afterwards, anyway).

I actually prefer the form factor of the 76 over the 60. It feels more natural in my hand, and it's easy to hold AND push buttons at the same time. I found that with the 60, holding it and pushing the buttons gave me a less than optimal grip on it.

My only complaint is that I wish the 76 had the same mounting knob on the back for a clip or other mounting options.

I just got a 76CSX with the SIRF II chip and it's great. Have not tried it in the woods yet with leaves, as it's still winter here and will be for the next 8 months. But anyway, the 76CSX has all the bells and whistles you could want. But the basemap that comes with it has only highways on it and cities, and exit numbers. There are no other streets on it, just be aware of that. You can buy a map with streets if you want and put it on this GPS.

I had major problems with my Geko 201 in the woods (basically no reception if there were leaves on the trees), so if the 76csx works in the woods in the summer, I'll be impressed.

I paid $400 (out the door price, which includes shipping) for mine mail order, but I'm glad I spent the money on it. I will not need to upgrade for many years, if at all.

I geocache on Vancouver Island which has some very heavy rainforest, canyons, hills(not mountains) and I have not been in a situation that my 76csx has failed me. I even get good coverage when we are travelling down the highway and hold the unit on my lap. What ever Garmin did to increase reception sure worked. My friend uses an older (about a year) etrex venture and he has trouble in the trees and unless he sets it on the dash of the truck or holds it out the window (BAD idea) he can't pick up anything while driving.

I think you will be very happy with the 76csx.

Edited by Dunworley

All GPSs get you to within 20-30 feet of a cache then you're better off putting them in your pocket and using your eyes. But the Sirf III chip is very nice. A buddy of mine left the power on with his 60CSX which was in his carry on bag on his flight from LA last week. When he uploaded his tracks, he had a track from his entire flight from Los Angeles to Yuma! :lol: