Using a screwdriver?

Hi, I have a cache planned (already put together) that requires the finder to use a screwdriver to un-screw the hose clamp that secures the cache and keeps it watertight. Is this okay? If I make it clear in the description that a screwdriver or multi-tool is needed to open the cache, is that enough notice? The cacher does NOT need a screwdriver to find or extract the cache from its hiding place only to open it. The cache container is within another container that is buried/hidden at ground level and needs the hose clamp to keep watertight, bearing in mind the potential for water damage if the outer container fills with water. Couldn't find any forums on this or anything in the FAQ's..... What do other people think? Thanks

Hi, I have a cache planned (already put together) that requires the finder to use a screwdriver to un-screw the hose clamp that secures the cache and keeps it watertight. Is this okay? If I make it clear in the description that a screwdriver or multi-tool is needed to open the cache, is that enough notice? The cacher does NOT need a screwdriver to find or extract the cache from its hiding place only to open it. The cache container is within another container that is buried/hidden at ground level and needs the hose clamp to keep watertight, bearing in mind the potential for water damage if the outer container fills with water. Couldn't find any forums on this or anything in the FAQ's..... What do other people think? Thanks

The screwdriver is ok.

The cache can't be buried. You can cover it with sticks, rocks, or anything else at hand, but you can't dig to hide or retrieve it. I don't think you meant to imply that it was in a dug hole, but though it worth mentioning.

within another container that is buried/hidden at ground level...

Whatcha mean by buried? I hope that you're not actually going to bury the container. ;):)

Also, make sure that you don't place the container near any other hardware that may be in the vicinity, so someone doesn't take a screwdriver to one of them by accident.

I personally have a bit of a problem with this sort of hide (and also hides in fake sprinkler heads, electrical boxes, etc). On one hand, it's clever and fun, and gives you that sense of secret agent stuff. But I also worry that later, someone will come to an electrical thingy or something else in a park and think that they need to use a screwdriver (or that the hide is in the box when it's actually in some other perfectly normal place nearby) there also, to find a cache. Because there are some people that expect you to use a screwdriver and don't say so in the description. So forevermore, a cacher just doesn't know when faced with that sort of hardware. You should see some of the ways that I've molested sprinkler heads, thinking that the cache was there. :);)

Edited by Ambrosia

No problem with requiring a screwdriver, but you will wish to indicate that on the cache listing page. And, I am sure that by "buried" you did not mean that you used a digging tool to bury the cache in soil (or sand), and rather, that it is buried under debris. However, unless the hose clamp is a necessary part of your creation from an artistic viewpoint or needed to secure the cache, I could suggest far easier ways to keep your cache container entirely dry and watertight, even if submerged in 70 feet of water. You may wish to check out the small containers available in the Otter Box line and similar brands of dry boxes sold for use underwater. The smaller ones are small plastic boxes with hinged lids and sturdy clasps, and yet they are easy to open. And, if you still need to secure the cache container to something, you could always secure its nylon lanyard to your anchor point. Not sure if this alternative container would work in your case, but I figured it was worth a mention.

I found one like this and the owner had a screwdriver wired to the cache.

The cache container is within another container that is buried/hidden at ground level and needs the hose clamp to keep watertight, bearing in mind the potential for water damage if the outer container fills with water.

This would be a guideline violation. You can't dig holes to hid caches.

within another container that is buried/hidden at ground level...

Whatcha mean by buried? I hope that you're not actually going to bury the container. :);)

Also, make sure that you don't place the container near any other hardware that may be in the vicinity, so someone doesn't take a screwdriver to one of them by accident.

I personally have a bit of a problem with this sort of hide (and also hides in fake sprinkler heads, electrical boxes, etc). On one hand, it's clever and fun, and gives you that sense of secret agent stuff. But I also worry that later, someone will come to an electrical thingy or something else in a park and think that they need to use a screwdriver (or that the hide is in the box when it's actually in some other perfectly normal place nearby) there also, to find a cache. Because there are some people that expect you to use a screwdriver and don't say so in the description. So forevermore, a cacher just doesn't know when faced with that sort of hardware. You should see some of the ways that I've molested sprinkler heads, thinking that the cache was there. ;):)

I have to agree with you. I try to avoid these kind of hides for just this reason, especially since I'm usually bringing small children with me.

seems silly to make people bring a screwdriver.

buy one at the dollar store, drill a hole through the handle, and tie it to the cache.

I'm guessing the cache won't survive long though, as most cachers can't even be bothered to re-cover a cache with a branch after they find it, asking them to tighten a clamp properly isn't likely to succeed for long.

Been done. There's a cache in the area that requires a screwdriver. It's a gray metal box about 1 ft square like a telephone junction box on the side of a building. It's pretty obvious if you look at it as there are no wires going to/from it but it blends in well. No hints that you need a screwdriver to retrieve. You could probably remove the screws with a dime or similarly thin item.

In one of the towns east of Peoria, IL a cacher has "MacGyver" caches. They have subtle clues what you might need to retrieve the cache. After you find the location you can sometimes see the container but can't reach it. They take a bit of thinking and improvising how to get it out.

The cache container is within another container that is buried/hidden at ground level and needs the hose clamp to keep watertight,

1) Caches themselves cannot be buried but it does sound like you didnt dig to place this - maybe a sewer or water pipe sticking out of the ground, or other such items. This should be ok.

I for one request that anytime someone uses a man-made item to hide the cache (unless extremely obvious) it should be noted in the description or hints= or have something labeled with the GeoCache Symbol; That would let the cache finder know that its A)safe, B)Permission granted, C)wont break something important for the area.

If I make it clear in the description that a screwdriver or multi-tool is needed to open the cache, is that enough notice?

2) if you require a special item to do the cache such as a wrench, screwdriver, ladder, whatever please note it in the cache description and/or minimally the hint. Or provide on site (maybe hide the screwdriver at the waypoint and set it as a multi cache and tag it with the location of the actual cache); attach it to the cache, etc.

Just put a screwdriver nearby, or on it.

Incidentally, I read a log once that said the finder had made the mistake of opening an electrical box (with a screwdriver, apparently), thinking that it was the cache. I got to it after him, and the thing was still ajar, with wires sticking out. All I can say is that it was a hazard and a bit of vandalism. Perhaps one should be extra careful with caches like these, lest the object in question not actually be a cache.

Make it a two stage cache. The first stage contains a screwdriver and directions to the location of the second stage. If the two locations are close together, I think most cachers would return the screwdriver to the first location. It could add an interesting wrinkle to the quest.

Find-me

You most certainly are allowed to request cachers to use/bring a screwdriver. As others have mentioned, state it clearly in your cache description. The only real gripers will be those who fail to read your instructions clearly (tough toenails to them).

I've come across such a cache before. The container used a hose clamps, it really needed it. The cache was located under some rocks on the shoreline of the Pacific Ocean. The cache hider got around this problem of needing a screwdriver by buying hose clamps that used a wingnut attached to where the screw would normally be. I've never seen such a hose clamp before, but it is a suggestion to consider if you can find such a beast.

I hunted one once that was an electrical box. Once. Now it hides in a hollow tree. It is held closed by a screw mechanism, and a short cheap flatblade screwdriver hangs from the cache by a piece of wire cable. It makes it pretty much critter proof while cachers should have no trouble what so ever. It's called "Don't get screwed". Cool cache.

hairball

Just keep in mind that hose clamps quickly wear out when they are repeatedly opened and closed. They also can be easily damaged by overtightening.

Relying on a hose clamp to keep the cache dry sounds like a recipe for a wet cache.

Use a good quality clamp and maybe put some extras inside with instructions to replace a worn clamp.

To the OP: I grew up in Sonoma, haven't been back in years. How is the place doing?

As has been said, please hide it away from anything else that might be openable with a screwdriver.

I have a cache that's 12' or so up a leg of a billboard sign (with the owner's permission - he sometimes steps out and watches cachers get it). Three legs away, about 50' off the coordinates, is an electrical box and a light sensor that turns on the billboard lights at night.

Several cachers have taken the sensor apart looking for the cache.

Give some folks a screwdriver and there's no telling what they'll use it on!

As has been said, please hide it away from anything else that might be openable with a screwdriver.

I have a cache that's 12' or so up a leg of a billboard sign (with the owner's permission - he sometimes steps out and watches cachers get it). Three legs away, about 50' off the coordinates, is an electrical box and a light sensor that turns on the billboard lights at night.

Several cachers have taken the sensor apart looking for the cache.

Give some folks a screwdriver and there's no telling what they'll use it on!

I was looking for a cache (it was a hollow bolt). I looked at the PVC drainage pipe with two valves close togther. (Only about ten feet off.) Two valves within two feet? Surely one must be fake? I checked with the cache owner first and was told to leave the valves alone. I'll agree: Hide it away from anything that might be dismantled in error.

Thanks to all who supplied replies to this question. :D I appreciate the time you all took to think about the question and write an answer.

I think I have a pretty clear idea of how to do this and not do it. I am going to have to alter the hide a little, the whole burying thing will nix the hide, too difficult to explain to the powers that be that it is okay and I don't have the energy to fight them, I do that enough with my local city planning inspectors for my landscaping.

Fortunately I didn't hide it yet and have taken the opportunity to alter it a little, seems the hose clamp on repeated removal can wear and lose effectiveness so I've come up with another method of fixing the cap. No screwdriver as it appears other cachers have found that when you give someone a screwdriver they unscrew everything in sight.

Now all I've got to do is find a new home for it. This will be a caching challenge in itself.

Thanks again.