What if?

I don't know if this topic has been visited on the forums before or not. (I know, most have :cool: )

But just for fun, if geocaching had always existed what other figures in history, real or imagined, would have made great or lousy geocachers?

For me the picture comes to mind of Magellan, carrying a Magellan or Lewis and Clark leaving a trail of film canisters tossed in bushes from St. Louis to the Pacific (vacation placements?).

Maybe you think of Indiana Jones constantly having his FTF prizes stolen by Dr Belloq. "Dr. Jones. Again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away."

etc...

Top Ten Reasons the Vikings Would Have Been Great Geocachers

10. Readily available cool swag.

9. Muggles not a problem for large bearded men carrying battle-axes.

8. You DID snap a waypoint on the longship before we ventured off into the woods, right?

7. Erik_the_Pink: "Is there a way to change my user name?"

6. Took Everything, Left Nothing. Hey, we gotta make a living.

5. If we call it "Ice Covered Barren Rock" we'll never get any visitors. Lets call it "Greenland"!!

4. During the hunting season, wearing horns on your head is ok, as long as you remember to also wear a fluorescent orange vest.

3. First to Find! Columbus just logged online first.

2. Wives think we are out fishing.

1. Permission? We don't need no stinking permission! We're Vikings, for crying out loud!

OK, after some serious thought I came up with the following:

Woud have made great geocachers

Joan of Arc

King George III

Patick Henry

Guy Fawkes

Mary Queen of Scots

William the Conquerer

Kaiser Wilhelm

John F Kennedy

Marie Curie

Peter Lorre

Helen Keller

Babe Ruth

Buzz Aldrin

Isadora Duncan

Dorothy Parker

Cleopatra

Edmund Burke

Sun Tzu

Horatio Nelson

Audrey Hepburn

Robert Frost

Henry David Thoreau

Niccolo Machiavelli

The Apostle Paul

Wink Martindale

Pope Pius XI

Elvis Presley

Leon Trotsky

George Armstrong Custer

Charlemagne

Groucho Marx

F Scott Fitzgerald

Sammy Davis Jr.

Chief Joesph

Bob Denver

Og

Would have made lousy geocachers

Pele

Pope Pius XII

W.A. Mozart

Jonas Salk

George Westinghouse

Michael Collins (the Irish revolutionary)

Michael Collins (the astronaut)

H L Mencken

Louis Leaky

Thomas Jefferson

Socrates

Gary Cooper

Rasputin

Josef Stalin

Ulysses S Grant

Anastasia Romanov

Anne Boleyn

Atilla the Hun

Flavius Josephus

Ty Cobb

Montgomery Clift

John Paul Jones

Robert Kennedy

Al Capone

Louis Armstrong

Zebulon Pike

Ho Chi Minh

Linus Pauling

Alan Hale Jr.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Ivan the Terrible

William Pitt

Dick Butkus

Napoleon Boneparte

Ferdinand Magellan

Metacomet

Thomas Edison

OK, after some serious thought I came up with the following:

Woud have made great geocachers

Joan of Arc

King George III

Patick Henry

Guy Fawkes

Mary Queen of Scots

William the Conquerer

Kaiser Wilhelm

John F Kennedy

Marie Curie

Peter Lorre

Helen Keller

Babe Ruth

Buzz Aldrin

Isadora Duncan

Dorothy Parker

Cleopatra

Edmund Burke

Sun Tzu

Horatio Nelson

Audrey Hepburn

Robert Frost

Henry David Thoreau

Niccolo Machiavelli

The Apostle Paul

Wink Martindale

Pope Pius XI

Elvis Presley

Leon Trotsky

George Armstrong Custer

Charlemagne

Groucho Marx

F Scott Fitzgerald

Sammy Davis Jr.

Chief Joesph

Bob Denver

Og

Would have made lousy geocachers

Pele

Pope Pius XII

W.A. Mozart

Jonas Salk

George Westinghouse

Michael Collins (the Irish revolutionary)

Michael Collins (the astronaut)

H L Mencken

Louis Leaky

Thomas Jefferson

Socrates

Gary Cooper

Rasputin

Josef Stalin

Ulysses S Grant

Anastasia Romanov

Anne Boleyn

Atilla the Hun

Flavius Josephus

Ty Cobb

Montgomery Clift

John Paul Jones

Robert Kennedy

Al Capone

Louis Armstrong

Zebulon Pike

Ho Chi Minh

Linus Pauling

Alan Hale Jr.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Ivan the Terrible

William Pitt

Dick Butkus

Napoleon Boneparte

Ferdinand Magellan

Metacomet

Thomas Edison

Ummmmmm, you're forgetting THE GREATEST GEOCACHER EVER!

One Hung Lo himself, I give you: *Drumroll please*

Saddam Hussein and his famous caches of mass destruction. As yet this series of puzzle caches has yet to be found! :cool:

The first geocacher in Oregon was not Dave Ulmer. It was Chief Joseph and his tribe in The NE corner of the state. The women and children gathered Camas bulbs for weeks so that they would have a winter food supply.

Their major cache was near present day cache GCNBGX. For some greedy reason the U.S. Government decided that they didn't want them there, so they muggled and burned the cache to force them to move at the beginning of winter.

This is one of the history lessons I learned while competing in "Counting Counties in Oregon" GCR9XY.

*snip

Maybe you think of Indiana Jones constantly having his FTF prizes stolen by Dr Belloq. "Dr. Jones. Again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away."

That was my first thought! Indiana ftf hound jones!!

I think pirates were geocachers. Of course rules were different back then, digging for caches was acceptable. They must have made excellent hiders. Talk about awesome 5/5 mulitcaches. Well, you will need a boat, a months supply of food, a map, and a nice digging tool. Oh and by they way, NO TRADES. :blink::wub:;) They must have had thousands of finds to.

Look at these finders (Isn't that another meaning of founder?) in their goofy pants signing the log. Talk about a mass FTF yet the log said they found it 'Independently.'

trumbull.jpg

At least the prize was first-rate. I heard that Hancock dude really used up a ton of the log with his handle.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Here's an obscure nomination from "reality" TV...

Remember Flo & Zach, "winners" of one of the early The Amazing Race seasons?

They would be great fun to cache with. :blink:

I remember Flo sitting on the bottom of a little boat in Vietnam, crying because paddling across the river was too hard all while her eternally patient boyfriend begged her to get up and do something. Wouldn't you love to take her caching on a hike to some mountain top? :unsure:

photo09_l.jpg

:o

Saddam Hussein and his famous caches of mass destruction.

Don't forget that cache of money soldiers found over there. I think it was 9 Million in US cash per "Ammo Box" (Watertight containers.) I think there were several hundred Million $ found in a storage shed, hidden there by Saddam. All in greenbacks, my kind of FTF prize! :unsure:

EDIT:

Found a link:

http://www.iraqfoundation.org/news/2003/da...5_treasure.html

Edited by Airmapper

Don't forget that cache of money soldiers found over there. I think it was 9 Million in US cash per "Ammo Box" (Watertight containers.) I think there were several hundred Million $ found in a storage shed, hidden there by Saddam. All in greenbacks, my kind of FTF prize! :unsure:

EDIT:

Found a link:

http://www.iraqfoundation.org/news/2003/da...5_treasure.html

Yeah, that would be great to find and all but what do you leave for trade?

A few more for my list:

Great Geocachers

Wilt Chamberlin

Millard Fillmore

Henry VIII

General John Burgoynne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anwar Sadat

Ghandi

King Charles II

Eva Peron

Yitzhak Rabin

Florence Nightingale

Robert the Bruce

Roger Williams

Alexander Fleming

Orville Redenbacher

Nikola Tesla

Orville Wright

Mother Teresa

Calamity Jane

Thomas Aquinas

David Livingston

Norman Vincent Peale

Jimmy Hoffa

Clyde Barrow

Amelia Earhart

Sir Walter Raleigh

Sacagawea

Friar Tuck

Jim Thorpe

Dolly Madison

Oliver Cromwell

Gary Gilmore

Sam Houston

Erwin Rommel

Fred Rodgers

Booker T Washington

Casanova

Irving Berlin

Lousy Geocahers

Galileo

Audie Murphy

John the Baptist

Louisea May Alcott

Hans Christian Anderson

Winston Churchill

Geronimo

Edward Teach

John Peel

Douglas McArthur

Cochise

Charles Lingbergh

Barry Goldwater

Chief Seattle

Bernadette Soubirous

Marquis de Lafayette

Paul Revere

Jacques Costeau

Albert Einstein

Sigmund Freud

Sir Issac Newton

Nostradamus

Wilbur Wright

Doc Holliday

Daniel Boone

Stonewall Jackson

Martin Luther

Margaret Thatcher

Betsy Ross

Now let me go think some more about this

Just about anyone involved in the underground railroad... good cachers.

Magellan...Bad cacher. I thought that was really funny when I first read this thread.

2 related side notes: 1. There is actually a park very close to my house that has a cache in it and is a historical marker (the park) for the underground railroad. 2. I always think of the Animaniacs song when Magellan's name comes up, but not when referencing the GPS. :)

*edited to clarify

Edited by The Vargman

I'm surprised that nobody's Markwelled back to the How Would They Sign? thread from 2004. It was a classic. I really can't improve upon my observation there that Moses was a lousy geocacher:

Log by Moses on "The Promised Land" multicache

Hi, this is Zipporah, logging this find on Moses' account since he FREAKIN' DIED right before the last stage. Nothing sucks worse than to be able to see where the cache is hidden, but you can't get to it because it's up in a tree, or because you're looking down at it from up on a mountain and God tells you it's "that time," or whatever.

Anyways, this multi really kicked our butts. Definitely the hardest cache we've done since the "Building the Pyramids" CITO Event. It took us 40 years to complete this cache. Jehovah, you always place great caches but this one makes the "Pharoah's Plagues" series look like a bunch of 1/1 historic marker virtuals.

Our troubles started right from the beginning. We strongly suspect that this cache was not placed with permission, as we were chased by law enforcement chariots all the way to stage two. I know you had set that part up as a hydrocache, but as we didn't have any boats and were pressed for time, Moses used his El Diablo hiking staff to part the waters and we made the crossing just ahead of Pharoah's army.

We found the micro with the clue for the next stage. A quick check of our topo maps showed it on the top of Mount Sinai, so we headed there. As the hill looked pretty steep, Moses made the trip up all by himself while the rest of us waited at the bottom and worshipped graven images. Nice touch with the burning bush that talked, how did you set that up? We got the stone tablets with the clues for the remaining stages. It took awhile to decode the word puzzle, but once we figured out that "Thou Shalt Not" meant South Latitude, we were off and running.

There then followed a very, very long period in which our Garmin eweTrex could not get a lock to point us towards the next cache. As we were stranded in the desert, this part of the cache was not much fun. Sometimes it seems like people put extra stages in multi's just for the heck of it. Anyways, bring plenty of water.

Finally we did get to the mountain and viewed the Promised Land. Just in time, too, as we were down to the last few goats. After burying Moses we made our way to the final cache and made our trades. We liked the area so much that we decided to settle here. Thanks for showing us this cool place, Jehovah! YAPIDKA (Yet another Palestine I didn't know about.) It was worth the trip.

Christopher Columbus?

Don't know how good he would have been, but surely he would have accidentally found some large cache while looking for India.

I think that MacGyver would have made an excellent hider. Using only a piece of gum, half inch of wire, 1/4 of a credit card, and a blade of grass, he would have been able to hide a .50 cal ammo box on completely flat terrain with no trees as a 5/5 hide.