Funny geocaching blog written by a new cacher

WeatherednBoston

I recently introduced another cacher into the sport. They had read my blog about geocaching and have since found 5 caches.

I saw he had posted a blog himself about geocaching today I thought it was the funniest thing I have read in a long time so I thought I would share.

I have never laughed so hard in my life Enjoy! :D:D:D

He might say that geocaching is "stupid" but remember...his caching name is SnarlyOldMan lol He's only joking when he says its stupid.

Remember me blogging about geocaching just the other day? Well, I've decided it's the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life! 1.) the only GPS I have attaches to my laptop computer and is meant for use in a car. B.) it's the middle of the freakin' winter and we just had an ice storm last night!

Saturday I decided to go out and do what they call a "park and grab". Pretty self explanatory. Park the car right were the GPS leads you, look around for a few minutes based on the clues you get from the geocaching web site then find the hidden "cache" or container. The first couple went pretty good. I've got pictures posted at www.snarlyoldman.com if you want to see what I'm talking about.

So, I parked the car right in front of a Cracker Barrel restaurant. The clue said, "rub a dub dub". Ok, they usually have one of the old hand cranked washers out front. I figured this one would be a snap. But NOOOOOO! Things in life are never easy. It was Saturday around noon – Cracker Barrel was jam packed. I'm out on the porch wandering around looking at the rockers and the checker board tables trying to be all casual, meanwhile it's 28 degrees and folks seated next to the windows are getting worried about the old perv walking around outside.

I found a trash can that had been peeled and pried open. Probably by previous cachers looking for the stupid cache. That wasn't it. I stuck my fingers in the bung holes, yes, I said bung holes, of all the barrels on the porch. I looked everywhere it could possibly be. It wasn't there. I sent a rant to the owner of the cache and said they needed to get over there and check it out. I'd wasted my time looking for it and I was plenty mad that it wasn't there!

Anyway, I got an email back fairly quickly. There were a couple more hints included. They assured me it was there. I drove back over there today – took about 2 1/2 seconds to look around and found it. Dang!

Also on Saturday I drove up to a service plaza just off I-77 in West Virginia. The GPS put me right in the neighborhood of my first cache that was going to have goodies in it. It was supposed to be an ammo box with all kinds of nice things. I parked the car, poked around in the leaves and such under the trees. The instructions said not to go any further than a fence because of a high cliff you might fall off of and break your fool neck if you weren't careful.

Not finding it I went back to the car, got my laptop, duck taped the GPS antenna to my head (what else was I supposed to do with it??) and went back to the woods. So, here I am, walking in the woods with a slick pair of shoes on, balancing a laptop computer in one hand while trying to maintain my balance with the other one AND trying to keep my head pointed towards the sky and looking out the bottom of my glasses at the laptop screen which is convenient since they are bifocals anyway. After about 5 minutes of this I look up. There is a van sitting at the other end of the parking lot with two folks in the front seat.

As discreetly as possible I un-duck tape the GPS antenna from my head, fold up the laptop and walk back to the car. Still didn't find the f'ing cache damnit! I drover to another part of the service plaza and sat there fuming for a couple of minutes and then decided to go back to the location and see what the people in the van were up to. They had moved on down to the cache location! From what I could see they were folding up their maps and other papers and preparing to leave. Five minutes they had been there! They even had the nerve to look up and wave as they pulled off!

I would have gone over and talked to them, but after walking around with a GPS antenna duck taped to my head I felt kinda stupid. Oh well, there is always the next time.

That is TOO funny! I had to stop reading and dry my eyes so I could finish! What a picture that must have made. Hope he didn't lose too much hair when he pulled the duct tape off (how DO you pull duct tape off your head discreetly?) .... LOL!

Oh what we won't do for that coveted smilie!

:D

(edited to add more)

Edited by mizdeeds

Speaking of geocaching blogs...

I did a search on MySpace for geocaching and came up with over 2700 users that had mentioned geocaching somewhere on their pages, having listed it as an interest, blogged about it, or included it in their blurb.

What I don't understand is how it can be so big on MySpace, yet there be no geocaching groups.

I think Groundspeak needs a formal presence on MySpace.

Edited by HangnMoss

snarly, I enjoyed your story. We've all got similar ones. Like me, I prefer not to use maps-at all-in my searches. I'll start 30 miles away and follow the arrow, navigating country roads to get to the cache.

There's been more than once I've trail hiked and bushwhacked over a mile and several hundred feet of elevation gain/loss, only to find the cache 15 feet from another parking lot I could have driven to. Worst part is having to hike back to the truck!

OMG I had to stop drinking my milk because I almost spit some of it out! That was some story!! :D

I have a blog about geocaching on my myspace site but is mostly me trying to explain to my muggle friends what the heck I mean by "geocaching" and all that stuff. I have a couple pictures too of my travelbug and the family if anyone cares to go poke around :DMy Myspace Webpage

Well... time to go fetch a couple more geocaches before I pick up Gutterball from School :D

<3

Colombian Princess

Edited by Colombian Princess

Well, I am as proud as a new papa!!! That was MY cache the Snarly Old Man found in the snow! LOL We are glad you liked it so much, and because of your encouraging adventure story, we plan to place another full size cache very soon. You will, of course, be on the VIC (Very Important Cacher) list of preffered finders. Be careful where you wear that hat at though, you may end up on the third floor of PCH! Esecially when you try to justify your hat/actions by telling them your looking for treasure in the woods hidden in tupperware containers!!!

January 30 by snarlyoldman (19 found)

Woooohoooo!!!! Ten days after a DNF on this one I went back and found it. Could have found it the first time. The hand held didn't really put me any closer. See, I could have saved $$$ on my eTrex and just kept on caching with the Earthmate duck taped to my head! Took "Geocaching is Fun" pencil and left the Texas Mini geocoin and a Happy Meal Hummer toy.

The snow must have melted pretty fast, hardly any at all there today.

I couldn't let this one go unfound! My plan was to run up and follow the cacher's footprints who had found it on Monday. As luck would have it the snow was mostly gone and I had to do it the old fashioned way. Look for it. But GCYOMO is finally in the books for me!

I recently introduced another cacher into the sport. They had read my blog about geocaching and have since found 5 caches.

I saw he had posted a blog himself about geocaching today I thought it was the funniest thing I have read in a long time so I thought I would share.

I have never laughed so hard in my life Enjoy! :(:anicute::anicute:

He might say that geocaching is "stupid" but remember...his caching name is SnarlyOldMan lol He's only joking when he says its stupid.

*********************************************************************************

Hey, Snarly Old Man back here again. With Weatherednboston's encouragement I've just completed a blog on "Geocacher - From Amateur to Addict in Just 10 Days". It might be a good read. All you pros out there let me know if I left something out. It's at www.snarlyoldman.com

Edited by snarlyoldman

That's a good blog. Accurate and very informative for new cachers.

Only one problem. Where's the "Snarly"??? You sound happy!

Tell you what.....if you're ever in the North Jersey area I'd be glad to show you some evil hides that would knock the "Snarly" right back into ya. Oh, and loved "The Turkey Incident".

Snarly,

Great story! I'm famous for locking my keys in my car when caching. I started caching in May of 2006. I've must have locked them in my car 9 times to date! Triple A started to know my name by the sound of my voice so I've gotten really good at using bailing wire to unlock my car. I've since had a spare key made.

Here is a log I left for "Full Moon" (GCX0XP)

November 30, 2006 by WowWhoaWeeWa

I thought I looked thoroughly in every nook and cranny but apparently I missed at least one... the one where the cache was. I had to use the hint to finally find it. I happily went back to my car to discover my keys locked it in. "No problem," I thought, "I'll just use the spare in my wallet!." Well, the wallet was in the car. "Oops! No problem, I'll call AAA." I couldn't do that either as the phone was right next to the wallet!

Geocaching: It is not always about the cache; it's about the adventure. :-)

Happy Caching!

~WowWhoaWeeWa

Yes indeed.

That was funny.

Oh, and WWWW, that is a daymare :huh: that I have every time I go out to cache.

I have done that while they were in the ignition..... :D while the car was running.

Oh well, *expletive* happens

Peace :D

Ol' Dirty Cacher

LOL... Yup, been there done that. Quick Story: My supervisor needed help changing a battery in her car. I don't live far away from her so I offered to do it for her one day after work. I have a pup at home so I stopped off at my house to let her out and figured, "What the hay," I'll bring her for a ride! (My pup loves car rides.) It was a cold winter night so to keep Dolce (my pup) warm, I'll leave the car running with the heat on. My car was within eyes sight so I could watch her while I changed the battery.

Well, I finished changing the battery and went to open my car door. Locked. "Hmm... thats odd," I said. "Oh, Dolce must have stepped on the lock for that one door." I tried the other door. Locked also. Dolce some how activated the power locks and locked her self in! Grrr...

At least this time I was with someone and was able to use a phone to call AAA. And you gotta know Dolce wasn't to happy about a stranger sticking a long pole into the car to unlock the doors! Oh, what a fun night that was.

~WWWW