CACHE SATURATION?

SNAKEBITER

I am aiming to do a series of cahes in and around my home town (first one done but no, I'm not going to plug it :):D:huh: )

Each one will have a description of why the spot is "historic" in the cache description.

What I want to achieve is

1) A way of introducing local children or people without transport into caching. All the locations will be easily accesable.

2) Wheelchair caches, or people with puschchairs to get more easily obtained caches.

3) Introduce people to local history.

What i would like is for people to do the caches one at a time (locals) rather than rinse through the lot in an hour. People with dogs could do them as they walk them.

Basically what I want to know is how many caches would an average town be able to hold?

I am not going to place them just for the sake of it, each one will have a story attached.

Please advise.

Your best just doing what you think is best. EVERYONE is different on here lol :)

For me though, the more the better. If they were in place's I didn't want to go or caches I didn't want to do, I would just ignore them (This has NEVER happened so far :D ) but Its not very saturated around me.

Other people's opinions WILL differ :huh::P

Edited by Deego

I personally wouldn't worry about the saturation. As long as each cache was worthwhile, and didn't encroach on the 0.1 mile rule, then you shouldn't worry about how many your town can hold.

What isn't nice to see are caches that are placed, such as in series and each one has a one or two word description. If you are going to do a series of caches, each one has to be able to hold it's own. All of the series of caches that I have done so far all do hold their own, but there are series out there that certainly don't. If and when I come across them, they will be bagged purely for the numbers.

As said before, everyone's tastes are different.

Do want you think is best.

Caches placed for the hell of it, in a high density, don't always make for good caching, but, it depends on the reasons behind it. Senic walks, history trails etc... etc... That's what makes this "sport" interesting and varied.

You'll always get variations in why people cache.

Everyone, because that's what we do, we go caching.

Those who go for it and will do them as fast as possible without taking too much notide of why you placed them and those who do it because they want to experience the reasons behind why you placed them and ....... everyone in between.

I personally wouldn't worry about the saturation. As long as each cache was worthwhile, and didn't encroach on the 0.1 mile rule, then you shouldn't worry about how many your town can hold.

What isn't nice to see are caches that are placed, such as in series and each one has a one or two word description. If you are going to do a series of caches, each one has to be able to hold it's own. All of the series of caches that I have done so far all do hold their own, but there are series out there that certainly don't. If and when I come across them, they will be bagged purely for the numbers.

If there are any locations that don't "hold their own" so much, or are in a location where it would be hard to place a cache, you could make them a waypoint of a multi. That way you also make people read signs, notice boards, look at dates etc. rather than just finding a plastic box.

What a good idea...... There would be just one thing that I would mention though. If there are a number of caches (even if they are 'easy' ones) I would make a point of being able to do them all within an hour or three. The last thing that kids and families with young'uns in pushchairs want to do is take up a whole afternoon of trudging around town. You need to hold their interest and short interesting jaunts will do it. So.... as the others have said you will have to try and sort out your caches with everyone in mind (Very difficult to do). Good luck

Edited by Red Squadron

Thanks for the advice.

I am going to mention this topic at the "sussex meet and greet" on Saturday and just wanted a few view points to kick it off.

Basically I am trying to do something that I would like to do myself. When walking the dog on the dreary Winter nights it is nice to be able to have a purpose, even if it is not a world winning cache. At least this way I will be able to walk and check the caches regularly, giving me a purpose as well.

Thanks again.

Something else you may like to consider.... Once all the 'local dog walkers' have found your caches, what will happen to it then. Are they of sufficient quality (for lack of a better word) to entice cachers from further afield or will it sink into the mire of mediocrity that so many caches seem to end up in?

Something else you may like to consider.... Once all the 'local dog walkers' have found your caches, what will happen to it then. Are they of sufficient quality (for lack of a better word) to entice cachers from further afield or will it sink into the mire of mediocrity that so many caches seem to end up in?

Fair point and one that I hope will be addressed by the "local history" angle. Maybe a local scout/guide group or other club would take intrest. That way with a continual influx of new recruits there would be constant intrest.

At the moment there are no caches in the area. This could be down to two reasons, 1) There are no worthwhile sites or 2) No-one has placed any. I am trying to redress the problem by a well thought out series. If at any stage a better idea comes up I can archive the caches and improve on the location. I am still learning and open to all suggestions and advice.

On a plus note though the first cache went active at 21:06 and the first to find was at 21:26, with a positive comment on the log. I must have done something right! :)

Fair point and one that I hope will be addressed by the "local history" angle. Maybe a local scout/guide group or other club would take intrest. That way with a continual influx of new recruits there would be constant intrest.

At the moment there are no caches in the area. This could be down to two reasons, 1) There are no worthwhile sites or 2) No-one has placed any. I am trying to redress the problem by a well thought out series. If at any stage a better idea comes up I can archive the caches and improve on the location. I am still learning and open to all suggestions and advice.

On a plus note though the first cache went active at 21:06 and the first to find was at 21:26, with a positive comment on the log. I must have done something right! :)

As well as the local history angle, a series of puzzle caches will attrsct people from far afield, especially if there is a connection. For example, the Sherlock Holmes series in London. I bet there is a local author/worthy/incident that you could weave in to some puzzles if you are that way inclined

Well congratulations on your first hit! I am sure they will all be welcome whatever and wherever they are. As has been said before, different people cache for different reasons. Nothing wrong with a bit of diversity. Its nice for people coming in to the area to have some caches to hunt. Some for numbers and some to stretch their brains, some just to walk and see new places.

Good luck with the rest.

On the subject of cache saturation, I will be in Canada later this year and will probably (almost certainly) go caching round Calgery. Trouble is ..... there are well over 550 live caches within a 10 mile radius of the town centre. And I'm only there for a couple of days. Sob, sob.

On the subject of cache saturation, I will be in Canada later this year and will probably (almost certainly) go caching round Calgery. Trouble is ..... there are well over 550 live caches within a 10 mile radius of the town centre. And I'm only there for a couple of days. Sob, sob.

You'll have to get up extremely early then, won't you!! BTW did I mention ........