Any Police Dog handlers on here....?

Garmin8888

The police radios have GPS built in to them so we can be remotely tracked if neccessary. No navigation functions though :rolleyes: . The company that made them should have added a geocaching option - then we could grab any passing caches like drsolly suggests!! (Only in our lunch breaks though obviously! :cool: )

i've tried to get him interested but you know that glazed look that muggles sometimes get ? fairly rapidly followed by a change in conversation.... <_< well he always did think i was nuts. :ph34r:

i left before they brought in tetra, back in the good old days of rubbish radios and huge black spots.

why do you want t oknow or is it just curiousity?

i left before they brought in tetra, back in the good old days of rubbish radios and huge black spots.

Same old, same old. Still loads of dead spots - great fun when you are chasing someone through at estate at night and to top it all, the contract with the service provider doesn't cover use in buildings apparently!

The radios do have GPS but it doesn't update itself very often. You couldn't use it for caching. The cars also have a map display (when they are working) that shows your position in relation to the call you're attending. I can't say I've asked them to upload any GPX's!

Also not a dog handler, but I did see a Vista once in the windscreen of a dog van, so maybe they do waypoint the car before trudging off through the darkened woods. Although in saying that, I'm sure there are those with vast experience of law enforcement and crime fighting etc- taken from The Bill and TV detective shows I assume - who would say they were just being inept...................

i bet they update just enough to be able to spot if you take a five minute tea break for a cup of coffee and a cigarette! :o

i think they do issue the gps to handlers mainly as once you've got into the woods calling in back up becomes a little complicated.... "well i'm right by a really large oak tree...." not all that usefull really.