Purple Heart coin?

ModelCitizen

I haven't ever seen a Purple Heart coin honoring those who protect our country and have been wounded. This wouldn't be a coin I would do since I'm not in the military, but if there's enough interest maybe someone else could run with it. I would love to see this done and would definately buy some. Geocoins that honor members of the military, police, firemen, EMTs, etc. that serve us and our country have great appeal to me. The idea is open to anyone that wants to do it.

Blue skies and happy caching!

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

Please don't. There is a great deal of honor and prestige that go into having something like this, as well as many other types of military coins. While your intentions seem very sincere, it tends to diminsh any true honor that is trying to be achieved when anyone can have it for the nominal fee or trade.

Maybe you should scratch the purple heart bit, and make a coin like a merit badge or something that you give to cachers who have been wounded in the line of duty (caching).

This has been done. It's non-trackable so I can't provide you a link to it, but you can probably find it if you search around. I believe it was a cmo-colored heart.

FWIW - I agree with PGH Looking.

As stated in my original post... I am not going to make this coin. I just thought it was a good idea.

I've bought a couple of POW/MIA geocoins and all the veterans I have shown them to have been very interested and not offended at all. In fact, one Vietnam vet, though not a geocacher himself, is tracking the coins via geocaching.com to see if either of them achieve their goal of going to The Wall in Washington DC. I also bought some of the new military geocoins (Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard). The WWII and Vietnam vets in my family are pleased that these coins will go out and remind people of their service.

I know, the Purple Heart is not quite the same thing. I liked the idea and would definately buy some if someone else made them.

Once again, I'm not going to make any Purple Heart coins.

Okay, fire away!

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

Don't take it as being fired upon, just different opinions. Your statement here is exactly what I was referring to though.

I liked the idea and would definately buy some if someone else made them.

To me it doesn't matter who mints them. The purple heart is awarded and should remain so, not something anyone can have a piece of for a price. These soliders have paid a price higher than most are ever willing to pay. In my opinion as a combat veteran, the only people who should ever have anything like this, with the purple heart on it, are those who earned them. To go a step further, we should keep the military awards and geocaching seperate. I also would not want to see a Bronze Star geocoin, a Silver Star Geocoin, and surely not the Congessional Medal of Honor Geocoin. Some things just weren't meant to be. As I said before, I know you meant well, and some will like your idea. I personally don't want to see something like this trivialize the awards that go to the troops.

Don't take it as being fired upon, just different opinions. Your statement here is exactly what I was referring to though.

I liked the idea and would definately buy some if someone else made them.

To me it doesn't matter who mints them. The purple heart is awarded and should remain so, not something anyone can have a piece of for a price. These soliders have paid a price higher than most are ever willing to pay. In my opinion as a combat veteran, the only people who should ever have anything like this, with the purple heart on it, are those who earned them. To go a step further, we should keep the military awards and geocaching seperate. I also would not want to see a Bronze Star geocoin, a Silver Star Geocoin, and surely not the Congessional Medal of Honor Geocoin. Some things just weren't meant to be. As I said before, I know you meant well, and some will like your idea. I personally don't want to see something like this trivialize the awards that go to the troops.

I have to agree with pghlooking on this. It seems to me it would cheapen the award to have a bunch on coins floating around with the purple heart on them...

Please don't. There is a great deal of honor and prestige that go into having something like this, as well as many other types of military coins. While your intentions seem very sincere, it tends to diminsh any true honor that is trying to be achieved when anyone can have it for the nominal fee or trade.

I usually dont say much about subject content of coins...

but I agree with you here,,

to me this is a very almost sacred thing

scrub the idea

I usually dont say much about subject content of coins...

but I agree with you here,,

to me this is a very almost sacred thing

scrub the idea

I think I am going to have to disagree on this one. I understand what you are all saying but I don't see it as copying the award, rather as creating something different that the award but at the same time paying tribute to those who have sacrificed greatly for this country and our freedom to have something like this.

Just my 2 cents.

Being a combat veteran and being lucky enough to of never recieved a purple heart during my time in Iraq I say that the idea of making a geocaching purple heart coin is never brought up again. It should remain only as a medal for service members who recieved wounds or was KIA in a combat zone. I can't remember the number of purple heart medals my Troop was awarded during the 16 months we spent in Iraq but I can remember it was never awarded for finding a geocache or had anything to do with geocaching.

The coin that FSM is refering to is a heart shaped coin with a gold colored edge, camoflague coloring in the center with a gold colored looking bandaid across it.

I never made any connection between it at a military medal.

camoheart.gif

I hope that posting this image is not breaking any rules. I'm not selling or promoting this coin in any way other than to clarify that it doesn't resemble a Purple Heart.