Car Mount Suggestions

The "search" function on the forums wasn't working for me so here goes... I want to get a decent car mount for my 60csx. I want to be able to mount it where I can see it easily without taking my eyes off road. I am thinking about one of those suction windshield type mounts, but my concern is that it may be too far away for me to see the screen. I don't want one of those dash vent mounts...I think those are cheesy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The "search" function on the forums wasn't working for me so here goes... I want to get a decent car mount for my 60csx. I want to be able to mount it where I can see it easily without taking my eyes off road. I am thinking about one of those suction windshield type mounts, but my concern is that it may be too far away for me to see the screen. I don't want one of those dash vent mounts...I think those are cheesy. Any suggestions? Thanks.

wyomingwapiti,

I've researched the same thing for my dad, who lives just over the hill from you on Union Pass. He got a 60csx and I have a 60 cx. It appears that RAM mounts are the way to go. Here are some threads with pictures of just about every kind of mount you could think of.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...8227&hl=RAM

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...6185&hl=RAM

A good place to purchase RAM mounts from is GPScity.com

You can either buy the packages that include all the parts together, or mix and match parts to produce something unique like I was trying to do in the first thread above.

I have a 76CSx and I use a suction mount from RAM. I wasn't happy with the actual RAM cradle so I bought an adapter that let me use a Garmin cradle on the ram suction mount. I'm very happy with the setup. I have it on the windshield to the left of the steering wheel and mounted very low so that the bottom of the cradle actually rests on the dash. This puts it in a very convenient place to see while driving and I can even push buttons on the machine without much distraction from the road (although I'm very careful when I do that).

Go with the GARMIN products I have a 60CS and use the bean bag style mount mount. The only drawback is you have to buy normal fixed mount to get the holder that snaps int the bean bag base. But note the system all works together, Add a handlebar bracket and it snaps on the motorcycle/ bike/ atv one fixed mount in the boat and another in the wifes car, bean bag mont stays with me. My car, in the company truck, or the rental car.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 60CSX. I use the normal Garmin mount, with the adapter for the 60CSX.

The sticky sticker they give you don't hold very well so what I did was take heavy duty velcro and put a piece on the inside of the right side of the dash (side with oil pressure and temp guages) and on the base of the mount. Works perfect. In a day or two I'll take a picture of it.

Go with the GARMIN products I have a 60CS and use the bean bag style mount mount. The only drawback is you have to buy normal fixed mount to get the holder that snaps int the bean bag base. But note the system all works together, Add a handlebar bracket and it snaps on the motorcycle/ bike/ atv one fixed mount in the boat and another in the wifes car, bean bag mont stays with me. My car, in the company truck, or the rental car.

I too use the beanbag for my 76csx. Easy to move from vehicle to vehicle.

I bought the auto navigation kit through Ebay which includes the bean bag mount and City Navigator. This has worked very well for me.

I use the Garmin suction cup mount for the 60CSx. The suction cup really sucks. The good kind of suck when you are talking about a suction cup. Hasn't fallen off once and it was an easy purchase, no different parts to select, blah blah blah.

I also have a 2+ yr old Garmin suction cup mount for my ol' GPS V. It blows (not really, but it doesn't really suck the way you would want a suction cup mount to). It falls off the windscreen every once in a while - very bad thing.

The quality of the Garmin mounts has improved over the years.

RAM are also very good and obviously have very loyal customers.