TB Race

samirsky

Recently, a few fellow geocachers and I started a TB race to see who could travel the most miles within a time limit. (You can see the current standings at www.TNLNSL.net) I liked the idea so much, I have been working on a website where you can create your own race for you and your friends, create a race for anyone to join, or join a race someone else has started.

Would any of you be interested in using a website such as this? It is quite a bit of work, and I have had a motivation issue getting it done. I thought maybe if many were interested, it might motivate me to get the site ready for deployment.

Also, is anyone interested in beta testing the web site? Actually, at this point it would be more like alpha testing (developing/testing needed features as well as nice-to-haves). If you want to test the site, email me via gc.com, and I will give you the URL.

So, what do you think? Do you like the idea? Would it be fun and would you use it (or not)?

Let me know,

Sam

Edited by samirsky

Looks like a really cool idea!!

Sending a TB by snailmail from Norway to god-knows-where, enter a contest, and get a heck lot of miles!

Neat! :anibad:

I can foresee many types of races (total distance, closest to a point, furthest from a point, all 50 US states, x number of countries, etc).

However, to start there will only be one type of race: the most miles traveled after the race starts. The miles start when the race starts (miles before that do not count), or when the TB joins the race if the race has already started.

Therefore, there is no need to snailmail the TB to anywhere. (That idea could be used for a type of race to be added later. Good idea.)

Sending a TB by snailmail from Norway to god-knows-where, enter a contest, and get a heck lot of miles!

Neat! :laughing:

I can foresee many types of races (total distance, closest to a point, furthest from a point, all 50 US states, x number of countries, etc).

However, to start there will only be one type of race: the most miles traveled after the race starts. The miles start when the race starts (miles before that do not count), or when the TB joins the race if the race has already started.

Therefore, there is no need to snailmail the TB to anywhere. (That idea could be used for a type of race to be added later. Good idea.)

I see your suggestions, and raise you. This spring I plan to release 2 TB's called the MLBTBs. Basically, the TB's - One American League, and one National League would, theoretically, travel to all the ballparks for the current teams and see which one could complete the cycle first. I think a site like this would be very cool for tracking something like that. I'd also put some thought into who would be tracking the race. Would it be entered by the TB owner, entered by the cachers who move the TB's, automatically updated by a feed from GS? The last option would be the most convenient, but probably the hardest to pull off.

Good luck with the development!

--MGb

Neat! :laughing:

I see your suggestions, and raise you. This spring I plan to release 2 TB's called the MLBTBs. Basically, the TB's - One American League, and one National League would, theoretically, travel to all the ballparks for the current teams and see which one could complete the cycle first. I think a site like this would be very cool for tracking something like that. I'd also put some thought into who would be tracking the race. Would it be entered by the TB owner, entered by the cachers who move the TB's, automatically updated by a feed from GS? The last option would be the most convenient, but probably the hardest to pull off.

Good luck with the development!

--MGb

Yes, that is a good idea as well. I have seen an idea similar to that and many other ideas at http://www.travelbugraces.com/ . Eventually, these race ideas could inspire other races on my site. Unfortunately, that website only describes/lists the races and is not interactive.

I was trying to implement a few different types of races before releasing the site. It was overwhelming and I was not getting anything done. Therefore, I decided to limit the scope, get the site published, and then after it was working later add additional races and capabilities.

Anyone else out there who has written code on a computer knows when it is finished. It is finished when the deadline gets here. That is probably true of anything I write. Well, I had made a personal deadline of before Christmas, so let's start using the site.

TBrace.com

There are many more nice-to-haves I can think of for the site. Let's see how the basic functionality works and I can make improvements based on importance.

As of today, here are the basic guidelines:

1. It handles 1 kind of race: The winner is the TB who travels the most miles from the start date to the finish date. (Miles before the start date do not count.)

2. You can only join a race before it has started.

3. Data is updated ONCE PER DAY (at most).

4. The miles are updated based on the Miles Traveled on your TB page. Therefore, you may want to use the "Recalculate Miles" button on the TB page as soon as it moves. Data should be updated the next day (see #3).

5. You need to use your geocaching.com username. You can make the password anything you want, and reset/change at any time.

6. You can only race TB's that you own on gc.com.

7. There is no need to use the 'secret' TB tracking number anywhere on the site, only the publicly visible TBxxxx reference.

8. A TB can only be in 1 race at a time.

This site is meant to be another fun way to use your TB's. I hope that it will also compliment the gc.com site, and encourage the sale of TB's.

When you start your own race for others to be involved, make sure you make the start date far enough in advance for them to join the race before it starts. If you make it a private race, only people whom you give the 'key' can join the race. If you are the race owner (started it), the key is displayed on the race page.

For now, please post comments, suggestions, and bug reports in this forum thread. I hope it works and is fun for you.

Enjoy!

Sam aka samirsky

Edited by samirsky

Anyone else out there who has written code on a computer knows when it is finished. It is finished when the deadline gets here. That is probably true of anything I write. Well, I had made a personal deadline of before Christmas, so let's start using the site.

TBrace.com

There are many more nice-to-haves I can think of for the site. Let's see how the basic functionality works and I can make improvements based on importance.

As of today, here are the basic guidelines:

1. It handles 1 kind of race: The winner is the TB who travels the most miles from the start date to the finish date. (Miles before the start date do not count.)

2. You can only join a race before it has started.

3. Data is updated ONCE PER DAY (at most).

4. The miles are updated based on the Miles Traveled on your TB page. Therefore, you may want to use the "Recalculate Miles" button on the TB page as soon as it moves. Data should be updated the next day (see #3).

5. You need to use your geocaching.com username. You can make the password anything you want and reset/change at any time.

6. You can only race TB's that you own on gc.com.

This site is meant to be another fun way to use your TB's. I hope that it will also compliment the gc.com site, and encourage the sale of TB's.

When you start your own race for others to be involved, make sure you make the start date far enough in advance for them to join the race before it starts. If you make it a private race, only people whom you give the 'key' can join the race. If you are the race owner (started it), the key is displayed on the race page.

For now, please post comments, suggestions, and bug reports in this forum thread. I hope it works and is fun for you.

Enjoy!

Sam aka samirsky

I've been lookin' to plan a whole event around a TB race. I'll use your site when I get it organized. :(

I just quickly perused your website (TBRace.com) and it looks very well done and interesting,

thank you for another great community led geocaching resource!

(For historical/FYI here's another Travel Bug race centered website: http://www.travelbugraces.com/

<blowing own horn>which indeed has been all ready posted but check out that NASCAR 2005 artwork :(</blowing own horn>)

Edited by MrCOgeo

I just quickly perused your website (TBRace.com) and it looks very well done and interesting,

thank you for another great community led geocaching resource!

Thanks and your welcome.

(For historical/FYI here's another Travel Bug race centered website: http://www.travelbugraces.com/

<blowing own horn>which indeed has been all ready posted but check out that NASCAR 2005 artwork :(</blowing own horn>)

Yes, nice artwork! Perhaps you could contribute artwork to my effort if you feel inspired.

I think it is a great idea.......I found a TB that was in a race with 5 other TB's........I would LOVE to follow ALL their travels but I only had the number of the TB I found..........from what you are saying it sounds like I could follow the travel of ALL the TB's in the race to see which ones were ahead! I definitely use it! TW

was wondering how often the site is updated to show the movements of the tb's

TG

The site is typically updated once per day.

However, remember that the gc.com site does not immediately update the TB miles traveled. :anitongue: Therefore, you can expect TBrace.com to show the correct miles the day after gc.com shows the correct miles.

To expedite the process, you can manually force gc.com to update the miles traveled. Click on "Recalculate Distance" in the upper right corner of your TB page.

samirsky

I've created a new race called "Mustang vs. Beetle" for a race that I have already had ongoing. How can I create a TBrace for these? It wouldn't let me create a race that started in the past and I am not sure where it got the dates that it is showing for this race now (which starts in the future).

Is there a way for me to modify the dates and add my 2 TB's that are already racing?

I've created a new race called "Mustang vs. Beetle" for a race that I have already had ongoing. How can I create a TBrace for these? It wouldn't let me create a race that started in the past and I am not sure where it got the dates that it is showing for this race now (which starts in the future).

Is there a way for me to modify the dates and add my 2 TB's that are already racing?

The start date is the one you entered when you created the race. This is a mandatory field (it SHOULD be).

Yes, there are improvements needed. I would like to make it such that if you are the owner of the race, you can change the details. However, it is a little complicated because it wouldn't be fair to let you change the rules after the game has started (esp for a public race). But alas, the reason the functionality hasn't been added is because I haven't gotten to it. :D At least there should be a confirmation page that lets you edit the details before creating the race.

I can change it manually. Post the start date (in the past) of the race. Tell me if the bugs both started with 0 miles. If not, tell me the miles the bugs had at the start of the race that don't count in the race (miles to be subtracted from total).

Also, you need to add your bugs to the race. After that I can manually make the changes above.

Sam

How are you getting the data for the race information?

-Raine

By accessing the geocaching travel bug database directly. :D Just kidding.

I simply get the miles and location from the public bug page. My geocaching friends and I have had a great time with the concept of a TB race. Our original race has been a blast. :D One bug (Red Racer) was in last place for 6 months and is now ahead in the race by thousands of miles.

It has been so much fun, I wanted other to be able to enjoy their own race, while at the same time promoting the sale of TB's to support gc.com - the site that has facilitated a hobby (ok an addiction) that my family and I love.

Has gc.com considered incorporating such games into the web site?

OK - I added a race and two bugs in a race. A few comments.

No way to create a race that already started. The start date should be able to be post dated. If possible please adjust my start date to April 1, 2007.

End date, the end date should be able to be blank. Races are often toward a goal, not toward a date. Explore some other options for different types of races.

The user interface - I did not make any notes as I created the race or added my bugs. I did find things a bit cumbersome.

Keep up the good work.

Brik

Brik, Thanks for the comments! I agree; the site certainly needs some improvements.

OK - I added a race and two bugs in a race. A few comments.

No way to create a race that already started. The start date should be able to be post dated. If possible please adjust my start date to April 1, 2007.

I can certainly manually change the start date (give me a day or two to get to it). Also, did all of the bugs involved start the race with 0 miles, i.e. should they get credit for all of their miles toward the race?

This points to my challenge in letting you pre-date a race. It could seem unfair. If you have a bug with 33000 miles, you could pre-date the race to make sure it wins. I don't know why someone would at this point, but as the site develops there might be prizes, icons, ranking, etc. And what miles should the TB's get credit for in a pre-dated race? It would be a significant effort for the site to figure it out. Perhaps as a first step , you can pre-date a race, and all of the bugs will get credit for all of their miles gained so far (this seems to be the most common reason why people want to pre-date a race.)

This is also the same issue with letting someone change the date after the race starts.

I am not sure the best way to handle it. Perhaps for private races, it should be allowed, and be considered a private matter to manage. For public races, it doesn't seem fair to let someone change the 'rules' (start date for example) after the game has begun.

This is why I am not sure what to do.

I certainly think the site needs the capability to change the dates before the race has started, in case of typos. As a first step, a confirmation page before 'submitting' the race to check for typos.

End date, the end date should be able to be blank. Races are often toward a goal, not toward a date. Explore some other options for different types of races.

End date blank: good suggestion.

Other types of races: I agree as well. This thread has many ideas posted. My goal was to get the site working, and then add race types. I think the most popular other type of race is a race to a certain location (geocache). Right now, my plan is to make this the 2nd type of race.

The user interface - I did not make any notes as I created the race or added my bugs. I did find things a bit cumbersome.

Have to agree again. It could use a lot of work to make it more usable. I am still going for functionality right now, and will fix these issues as I go.

Keep up the good work.

Brik

THANKS! :D

:D:o:( ANNOUNCEMENT! :D:D:D

I have had discussions with Groundspeak, Inc. and they have agreed to allow my site to continue. In fact, they were very supportive and encouraging. :D

I have been in the process of starting a new job and relocating across the country. Between that, and the fact that the site (sortof) works, I was not very motivated to continue to develop it.

After talking to Groundspeak, Inc, I have a new enthusiasm to make the site better. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Hello !

I made a mistake on my race ID 27 is it possible to delete this one ? So that we can use the 2 TB's on race ID 28 !!

THX for your Help !!

The_Duke

Can do. Give me a day or two to get to it. Also if you want it pre-dated, let me know the start date and if the TB's get credit for all of their miles so far.

For my race both TBs started in same cache on the same date with zero miles. The start was 4/1/2007. millages should be total from 4/1. No others will be joining. I just made a really far off end date for mine. My bugs have a goal to circumnavigate the globe, one going west, the other east. The winner is first to do it, no time limit.

For my race both TBs started in same cache on the same date with zero miles. The start was 4/1/2007. millages should be total from 4/1. No others will be joining. I just made a really far off end date for mine. My bugs have a goal to circumnavigate the globe, one going west, the other east. The winner is first to do it, no time limit.

Brik: Your race start date and start miles has been fixed.

Now the challenge is to change the website so you can do that for yourself.

The_Duke: Your race ID 27 has been deleted. Your bugs can now be placed in your new race 28. Let me know if you want to adjust the start date back and give credit for all previously earned miles.

What is the status of the website. I cannot register. it says the TB does not belong to me (and i am sure it does)

i had the same problem. It keeps saying "GC.com Username does not own TB. Check spellings.

Please try again." but im pretty sure i own my travel bug.

Thank you for telling me about this error. I was not aware of it.

Of course, this functionality was tested and used to work. However, my server has had changes which affected other parts of tbrace.com. I was not aware the registration was affected as well.

I will post an update here once it is fixed.

Sam

What is the status of the website. I cannot register. it says the TB does not belong to me (and i am sure it does)

i had the same problem. It keeps saying "GC.com Username does not own TB. Check spellings.

Of course, this functionality was tested and used to work. However, my server has had changes which affected other parts of tbrace.com. I was not aware the registration was affected as well.

Sam

The Registration error has been fixed. Please register.

If you run into any more problems like this or anything else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam

The Registration error has been fixed. Please register.

If you run into any more problems like this or anything else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sam

yay it worked. thanks for fixing it so fast.

Is it possible to delete my public race? I meant to set it as private...it is ID #35 the Great CCC TB Race

thanks!

I deleted your public race. This would be a good feature to add. Except...

How do you keep 'sore loser' race owners from deleting the race. Perhaps you could delete the race ONLY before it begins.

Is it possible to delete my public race? I meant to set it as private...it is ID #35 the Great CCC TB Race

thanks!

I deleted your public race. This would be a good feature to add. Except...

How do you keep 'sore loser' race owners from deleting the race. Perhaps you could delete the race ONLY before it begins.

Agreed....thanks! I just created a new TB and am also getting the username doesnt own TB error. Maybe there is a lag from when a TB is activated. I will try again later. Thanks for organizing this! I came across this when a TB was in a race going to Australia and I found it in Connecticut. happened to be going to Australia and brought it with me. Wouldnt you know that the next person brought it back to the UK so it never made it to perth!

Recently, a few fellow geocachers and I started a TB race to see who could travel the most miles within a time limit. (You can see the current standings at www.TNLNSL.net) I liked the idea so much, I have been working on a website where you can create your own race for you and your friends, create a race for anyone to join, or join a race someone else has started.

Would any of you be interested in using a website such as this? It is quite a bit of work, and I have had a motivation issue getting it done. I thought maybe if many were interested, it might motivate me to get the site ready for deployment.

Also, is anyone interested in beta testing the web site? Actually, at this point it would be more like alpha testing (developing/testing needed features as well as nice-to-haves). If you want to test the site, email me via gc.com, and I will give you the URL.

So, what do you think? Do you like the idea? Would it be fun and would you use it (or not)?

Let me know,

Sam

Heck yes, we hav 3 ready to go.

Hi!

We just entered our TB's for a private competition. Since we're from the Netherlands we really would like to see an option to turn the Miles into Kilometers (mi to km). This would be great! :ph34r:

Great suggestion!

I need to:

1. fix the race start logic (This used to work. Don't know when it broke.)

2. Confirm this works for geo-coins

3. Display km

Would you rather a option to change mi>km (site wide), or is displaying both good enough?

The new races do not appear to be starting properly. :)

This is probably another bad side-effect of server-side changes.

I will look into it this weekend, and give you an update.

The script to start the races is working properly.

It was not being called automatically.

I believe this has been fixed. I have created a private race to test it and will confirm it is fixed after tomorrow.