Can you help?

Most if you know about Bill Twigger...

Well at our End of Year Event we are holding a Raffle and an Auction for the hospital that treated Ewan. I have posted in the Coin forum asking if anybody would donate any Geocoins etc...SEE HERE and the response has been really good.

I have noticed thats its mostly people from the US who are on that board so I am asking here as well.

If anybody wants to donate anything for our Raffle/Auction give me a PM or Email and I will give you the mailing details.

Thanks in advance

John (Crazy Druid)

Will there be anyway of buying the raffle tickets without attending the event?

After discussions unfortunately we are only going to be selling tickets at the event. The reason for this is: If we sell tickets out with the event we could not limit the sales to the UK only. The logistics of getting ticket money is one point but sending out prizes is what really set our minds.

Lets just say a ready made cache was won by somebody in the US and a rare coin was won by somebody in the South of England...The cost of sending the prize to the US would be a fair bit and the coin would really need to be sent by recorded delivery...more cost.

The idea is to raise as much as we can and I am sure you can see our predicament.

I can indeed see the dilemma, however, do feel that cachers all over the UK and indeed the world would like the opportunity to contribute, not just with donating items. In many ways, the money raised this way will be limited to the depth of the pockets of those who are able to attend.

Having become an obligate wheelchair user in an accident myself, I am acutely aware of the cost of this method of mobility; in the first three years post accident, I think my mobolity needs alone cost some £11 k. (That was only wheelchairs and accessories, nothing more). The NHS provides basic models, but ideal wheelchairs still have to be purchased privately even in the UK. I recently road tested a new electric wheelchair and it had a pricetag of £6 k. Nothing is cheap in the world of mobility...they even make the wheels unusual sizes so tyres and tubes have to even be bought specially, with a special price tag too!

I can see you need to go ahead with this event as is just now, but perhaps you would consider having a more openly accessible fundraiser for Ewans mobility needs in the new year?

Also, just an idea, you could consider opening a page at just giving for people who wish to make donations.

Edit to add: Perhaps those exerienced with the coin making process might consider a coin which is solely for raising funds for Ewan? I have seen one or two coins made for this sort of purpose, and then they could go on sale worldwide ... perhaps a quite appropriate way to raise funds given the circumstances too.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

I would just like to back up Crazy Druid on his comments on not running it online. This was partly my suggestion as it can also open up a can of worms if ONE person contests the outcome. Although I am sure that no one here would stoop so low, there is the possibility that someone will. When it comes to money and prizes and no solid proof of who has won, people can and may get nasty. Not really worth the organisers effort in my opinion.

You have also got to get the money off of the people, not only before the event but after the event for the postage, that alone can be a nightmare, and will mean a lot of trips to the post office.

It is deeply appreciated for those that have donated items so far, but please understand and respect the reasons that the organisers wish to keep it to the event.

dorsetgals suggestion is a good one for the future.