Geo-clutter

mgbmusic

I don't want to get into any names here, but this map shows the caches in ONE series in north-side Chicago Suburbs -

This link - http://lh3.google.com/mgbmusic/RU4QLVvPABI...k/bob%20map.JPG

Granted the series is an interesting concept, again I don't want to name it, since I am kinda complaining about it, but that just seems like a lot of caches that don't really bring us to any interesting locales or anything, just numbers for numbers sake and the .1 mile rule really eliminates a number of possible cache locations over a good part of the city. Thoughts?

--MGB

P.S. Sorry about the size of the pic... :D:D

Edited by mgbmusic

Granted the series is an interesting concept, again I don't want to name it, since I am kinda complaining about it, but that just seems like a lot of caches that don't really bring us to any interesting locales or anything, just numbers for numbers sake and the .1 mile rule really eliminates a number of possible cache locations over a good part of the city. Thoughts?

I've never done any of that series myself (I'm about 45 miles SW of Chicago), a lot of the area that it covers is very picturesque. Lakefront, upper-scale communities, parks, mansions, etc. No doubt, some of the caches are placed in less than stellar areas, but that can be said of any sub/urban cache.

I don't see any problem with the series myself. The number hunters - who are a legitimate part of the geocaching community - certainly like it. And I have no doubt that someone doing any/all of the series would see some really nice areas in the process.

Here's my question to you: would you have any objection if these were all individual caches set by a variety of people, instead of being part of a series? Because the only thing that really sets them apart from a random collection of sub/urban micros is that their names are similar.

I've never done any of that series myself (I'm about 45 miles SW of Chicago), a lot of the area that it covers is very picturesque. Lakefront, upper-scale communities, parks, mansions, etc. No doubt, some of the caches are placed in less than stellar areas, but that can be said of any sub/urban cache.

I don't see any problem with the series myself. The number hunters - who are a legitimate part of the geocaching community - certainly like it. And I have no doubt that someone doing any/all of the series would see some really nice areas in the process.

Here's my question to you: would you have any objection if these were all individual caches set by a variety of people, instead of being part of a series? Because the only thing that really sets them apart from a random collection of sub/urban micros is that their names are similar.

Good points about numbers hunters and individual caches. I don't know. it just seems very, i don't know, impulsive isn't the right word, but it's the best I can tihk of on what little sleep i got last night. I'm going to try part of the series to see if it interests me, maybe the containers or hiding methods are clever - they'd kinda have to be. Many of the places I could see being very busy. I guess it just seems like saturation with no real goal, except to be chaches with that theme, which to me seem redundant. Just my 2 cents, I s'pose.

I was just curious to see other people's reactions mostly.

Of course if I mentioned they were all micros, the torches and pitchforks would be out in a heart beat....oops...

--MGB

I will preference my comment by saying that I did the series in question. (That is I am assuming since I can not go to you link for some reason). I went on vacation and specifically went there to do a numbers run. I upped my one day most finds from 34 to 98. I did some additional caches wheile running the series as well.

Now my thoughts: I am glad that I did the series but would likely not do it again. It was more the repetition then anything, and I think doing a few other caches helped break it up. I personally do not have a problem with somebody sucking up the available space. Furthermore, I contacted the cache series owner and he was very helpful. I think that he would move one of his caches if for some reason you wanted to place a cache within the .1 mile boundary. Currently I am getting more and more away from the numbers game and do less caches with more hiking and sites to see. If I was going to Chicago today I would not do the series other then in between other caches or after completing other caches.

Couple of things you need to be aware of with this series:

1. Most of the locations would really not support any other type of cache _in the immediate area_ of these caches. Granted, there are a few of the more remote ones that would, but they are most definitely in the minority.

2. These have kind of become a local attraction and, dare we say, somewhat legendary in that many cachers come from quite a distance to do this specific series. A couple months before TheBaers and I did it in February, a group assembled to do it that included cachers from Iowa, Michigan, Indian, Illinois and Ohio.

3. Until you do it, don't be so certain you will not see interesting areas/sites. Some of the architecture was amazing and we also have never seen pet deers on someones property. They were actually wearing collars to keep/track them like your standard dog.

4. Most would never wander through this rather diverse neighborhoods without this series.

5. With everything said above, I can't speak to the original intent of the series, but it has admittedly become a numbers run for most cachers and, no matter what you hear or read here, the vast majority of cachers like numbers to varying degrees.

5. With everything said above, I can't speak to the original intent of the series, but it has admittedly become a numbers run for most cachers and, no matter what you hear or read here, the vast majority of cachers like numbers to varying degrees.

It's been suggested to me a couple of times as a good way to increase my numbers (in response to my self-imposed restriction that I won't hide a cache until I've found at least 100), and I even considered it a couple of times now.

But you know, today I hiked five miles in a local park and in 3.5 hours I found just four caches. Tonight I'm stiff, weary and sore. And I loved it. Not sure that I'm so interested in getting the numbers fast, so long as I can get them steady.

Besides, I live about 50 miles away from that series, and I could get pretty much the same effect by just following the river from Aurora to Oswego. That riverfront has lots of park space, and is loaded with caches.

I will preference my comment by saying that I did the series in question. (That is I am assuming since I can not go to you link for some reason).

Actually, I can't either. I'll have to fix that link, but anyway.

Again, I wasn't dissing the series specifically, and I probably will do some or all of them at some point, it just seemed excessive to me...Like "I need to place X number of caches and I need a place to put them" I personally, probably wouldn't have done that, but I guess that's why there are more cachers out there than just me... :)

Here's what I like about the series

1. It's a cool concept. I like the idea

2. I respect the fact that the placer researched and actually placed that many caches and agreed (implicitly) to maintain them.

3. It's good that even though nobody (presumably) can get to the link.....We all knew what I was talking about...:) If it brings more people to our fine city, then I'm all for it. I'll get that link fixed sometime soon...(Edit: Just realized how ya'll might have known what series this was....(sigh)...I'm an idiot...

--MGB

Edited by mgbmusic
I don't know. it just seems very, i don't know, impulsive isn't the right word

Geo-ADHD?

Geo-Tourettes Syndrom?

Geo-Spam?

:)B):(:)

I kinda like Geo-spam, myself :P I'm familiar with another "BoB" series in a city in Pa., but I don't know if that is the original, or also copied from somewhere else. But you have to love this quote on each of the cache descriptions for this series:

"Under no circumstances should cache hunters sign anything except for the actual cache log sheet. Signatures or stickers found on anything other than an actual cache log sheet may result in online "Found it" log deletions for the entire series." :)

But in neither case should you complain about those ways you don't agree with.

But Ed, whining about lay mass micros is so much fun!

As a matter of fact, just typing lay mass micro is fun.

But I have no idea if that applies to this series, there is basically no information given about the

actual hides.

Also, I have noted they are placed by at least 2 cachers (maybe more), the OP seems to be of the opinion it's one placer (which would be one hell of an undertaking with maintenance on micros).

Funny thing about numbers. If I like placing caches and I place one, then another, in time the numbers just happen. Just like finding them.

As for your judgment about what's interesting, that's a personal thing. I happen to like a few places that other prolific posters hate. That's just the way it goes.

You can complain (there is no kinda in your complaint), you can lead by example and place caches you like, or you can do both. Your call.

Also, I have noted they are placed by at least 2 cachers (maybe more), the OP seems to be of the opinion it's one placer (which would be one hell of an undertaking with maintenance on micros).

I checked a sampling of about 25 on the northmost and southmost end. They all seem to be placed by the same cacher. I could very well be wrong, but...

--MGB

The BoB series...here's my take on it. Firstly, I do 99% of my caching in Florida, of which I am a native soul...one of the few.

I happened to be in Chicago to attend my oldest daughter's graduation at Great Lakes Naval Academy, and truth be told, I was one proud man, being a military combat veteran myself.

Having never been to Chicago, and having spare time to kill after she had to report back to her barracks in the evening, the Mrs. and I did some caching, and quite a few of the BoB series was included. This series took us into some architectually nice neighborhoods that we would have never been exposed to without GC'ing. All kinds of landscaping ideas were gathered as well.

I realize that most of them were indeed cheesy finds, and should be rated just a 1/2 star for difficulty, but the series led us to interesting places, and as far as I am concerned, they were enjoyable. I got to log finds, and the Mrs. got to ogle nice houses, instead of us sitting around in a horrible hotel room. What can I say?Works for me!!! :)

but that just seems like a lot of caches that don't really bring us to any interesting locales or anything, just numbers for numbers sake and the .1 mile rule really eliminates a number of possible cache locations over a good part of the city. Thoughts?

Complaint threads like this are the reason I coined the phrase; "NEVER give a geocacher a horse."

Why? Because they'll look it right in the mouth more often than not.

It takes no small amount of effort to plan, prepare, execute, and publish a cache series. A power path is even bigger and more time consuming. All of this effort is a GIFT from a hider to his local community. How many people ever stop to think about that?

If you really want to protest another geocacher's efforts DON'T HUNT their caches and failing that, DON'T LOG them.

Certainly, have an opinion, but back it up with something substantial.

This is high tech hide and seek. It's NOT high tech, aesthetically perfect, only downhill hiking & seeking, in only the best aesthetically appealing surroundings with adequate parking, nearby restrooms, & a water fountain handy......or whatever it takes to float your boat.

It's a cache. One subjective smiley. That's all..... Wellll, and another cache .1 away. And another. And another. :)

There's something out there for everyone and if ya wanna hide a cache.... Well, ya snooze, ya lose.

I checked a sampling of about 25 on the northmost and southmost end. They all seem to be placed by the same cacher. I could very well be wrong, but...

--MGB

OK, there's two placers, 50 apiece. generally the lower 50 numerically by one guy, and the upper 50 by another. For example, check out No. 10 and No. 99. I'm assuming you know you can put anything you want on top of the cache page, (all 99 have the same name as placer there), but clicking on the profile link gives you the real placer.

I'm assuming you know you can put anything you want on top of the cache page, (all 99 have the same name as placer there), but clicking on the profile link gives you the real placer.

Ummm.....

uhhhh...

oh yeah! Of COURSE I knew that...uhh....

I knew that...y

eah....two placers....right....

:unsure: --MGB