Geocoin Behaviour

jochta

Since I'm on here might as well get another bugbear off of my chest :blink:

I expect this topic has been done to death, so ignore me if it has...

Since the recent proliferation of geocoins I have noticed the following behaviour. Visiting a cache you have already done just to grab a geocoin that was placed there a few hours earlier.

Isn't that a bit selfish?

Since I'm on here might as well get another bugbear off of my chest :blink:

I expect this topic has been done to death, so ignore me if it has...

Since the recent proliferation of geocoins I have noticed the following behaviour. Visiting a cache you have already done just to grab a geocoin that was placed there a few hours earlier.

Isn't that a bit selfish?

No it isn't, each to their own, everyone plays the game differently.

Geocaching for some has evolved into getting icons as well as caches. For me it is not selfish and gives me another side to the game when I don't have transport to go and hunt for a cache, I go and pick up coins and TB's out of caches that I have already done.

same here - in fact, apart from finding caches, the icon hunting is something i particularly enjoy - especially as i have a personal rule of not logging at events and so on - it has to be moved to be logged...

Anyway, more to the point, I may pick up a coin, but I generally always make a point of putting it back in another local cache anyway - unless I can specifically help with its mission soon... Most of the coins round here at the moment I bought back from wales and distributed around the area, and they did take a while until they left south london! There's only three or so cachers round here who are blatant icon tarts!

I personally consider it totally selfish for someone to retrieve a geocoin from a cache just for the sake of added an icon to their list of trackables. I've evidence to suggest certain cachers are even resorting to nocternal cache visits to satisfy their insatiable icon habit. I would like to see immediate action taken to stamp out this icon-ic self gratification. :blink:

Anyone else got a Singapore Geocoin icon yet? :huh:

Geocaching for some has evolved into getting icons as well as caches. For me it is not selfish and gives me another side to the game when I don't have transport to go and hunt for a cache, I go and pick up coins and TB's out of caches that I have already done.

I agree with HH - it's not as if the coins disappear out or circulation - they just get moved on very quickly. Anything that keeps trackables moving is ok by me.

I have to admit to revisiting caches to pick up coins. i don't have a problem with this as i do move them on, normally in the same area and i thought that the whole point in releasing coins was for people to pick up and enjoy!

i also often plan a days caching around one cache which has a coin i've not seen before in it!! does that make me sad!

:laughing:

...does that make me sad!

:D

It does if someone else has picked up the coin before you get there. This has happened to me a couple of times and always results in some Gurring and fist waving. :D

:D:D I know how you feel. but on the plus side sometimes i find coins that i'm not expecting so it almost compensates!!!!

Well over here in Ontario, Canada we have our share of "icon tarts" and hardcore icon whores and I myself have on occasion indulged in this questionable act....but only on fact finding missions to see what all the fuss is about. I may now need therapy for my new addiction of chasing icons.

Seriously though, icon hunting has reached new levels here and I'd like to pass on some twists if they haven't already taken hold there. Regardless if the cacher picks up the coin from an already visited cache, any moron can do that, they will now drop it in the most difficult cache possible, even if it's one of there own. Instead of just "discovering" coins dropped into one's cache, the owner will REMOVE the coins!! A cache owner will drop coins into his most difficult cache to increase visits along with the usual hate and discontent. A coin in a MICRO is worse that a micro in the forest!!!

In my defence, I would like to add that I try to trade coin for coin especially if I've had a coin too long and will visit an old cache for a swap. I'll admit coins are a strong motivator to seek a certain cache and anything that promotes geocaching, can't be that bad.

I do distrust cachers with albums full of coins almost a much as those who just copy down the numbers or trade numbers online. That's so shallow, looking at pages of icons, I like watching the travels of coins and can't imagine watching hundreds of coins.

I do like putting coins on my watchlist to see if they will pass nearby but so far I yet to discover my powers at prediction or the rewards of anticipation.

dutchmaster