bad form to remove geocoins without...

DiS02

without at least noting it on the cache page?

Is it me, or is it just rude to remove a geocoin or other trackable from a cache without even leaving a note that you did?

Only way I knew it was gone, without checking the cache physically, is that I had to go into the cache history for TBs & see that someone, obviously a relative of the cache hider, took the coin & left some note about moving it south.

Grrrr :laughing:

Or is this a common practice? Now I understand why so many coins go missing.

no, wasnt a vacation log, they have noted the cache before with stuff like 'I love you nameofcacheowner, thanks and cant wait to see you again' junk like that. I look at another cache this owner hid & one of the cointakers called them 'uncle soandso' so I know its relatives.

There is not even a note on the cache it was taken, but there is the taken note on the geocoin.

And what burns me even more is I & a friend went looking for it last week, & I emailed the cache owners for help as I thought it might have been removed for a local fest. Grrrrr So its not like someone didnt know...

I have yet to receive a reply, but had (had) chalked it up to them being busy, but we are talking 7 days now. :laughing:

I'm really trying hard to figure out why I'm running into several cachers in my area who are being so flipping rude. I asked a simple question on my local boards, without naming a specific cache, asking about a enviro concern that the cache brought up. I never asked for the cache to be removed, or the owners to change it or anything about the cache itself, I just asked a enviro question & had to clarify it as it was mistakenly misread.

I'm gonna have to chalk it up to that quote from 'A Few Good Men'...

"You cant handle the Truth" & it seems to apply around my area. I speak the truth when I dont understand things & it appears some people just cant handle it. :o

I guess more coins will just disappear then, makes me lean more and more when I release my coins & trackables to not releasing them in this area & also releasing 'fake coins'.

Shame too, this area really could use more trackables & geocoins. Oh well.

:edit for spelling issue:

Edited by DiS02
without at least noting it on the cache page?

I assume that the trackable itself was logged out but a note on the cache page was not posted indicating this. If I am reading you right, I agree with you and consider this bad form.

We have a Stargate locally and it is frustrating if people just take incomings without a note. Makes watching the cache semi-pointless and defeats the idea of push technology IMO.

It don't take much to post a note that you called by a cache and took xyz coin or bug IMO. So easy, so helpful, so considerate.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew, you nailed it on the head.

If they had at least noted the log I wouldnt have cared, I havent had time to get back up this week while waiting for the owners to get back to me so I would have chalked it up to my loss, since I waited.

If they note it now I know its because they were given a headsup.

I pay for PQs which dont show when trackables are taken unless something is left in the logs, I also use PQs with bookmarks & in addt get notifications on certain caches. So I totally take advantage to everything GC makes available to us to use & I do so gladly.

It just makes me more & more not want to join my local group (I'm sure they are cheering over that as I would call them on a lot of bull they pull & I've seen in less than 2 months of returning)

It makes me want to join outside groups even more & also seriously rethink how I'm going to handle the caches I'm putting together with its trackables. (sigh)

Ahh well, I dont think things around here will change so I'm just wasting bandwidth griping about it here.

Thanks though, I thought maybe I was missing something but now I see its not me.

I used to be very good about posting those sorts of notes (for regular tb's as well) on cache logs for the very reasons that you say. But unfortunately after many years and many cache finds it's possible that I have forgotten a few.

Bad form if the person just doesn't care, but understandable if it's a simple oversight. But still hard on the other cachers either way. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm not trying to be a witch with a capital B, I have new cachers who wanted to see coins as they never have, nor have I on most of them since I didnt start logging caches until recently online.

I guess I was just peeved over it, but I see they did finally log a found it note on the cache & dropped off a new coin so my friends & I have made plans to go caching sunday up that way, hopefully this time we'll find it. :)

I can understand not wanting to log chaches after doing so many of them, but even a quickie is better than nothing. 'Grabbed coin' even. Something so people like me dont get our panties in a twist when they make a trip to a area & cant find the coin that was there.

I hit up 2 more caches recently & the items listed in them are gone with no in-cache note that I saw & no note on the on-line cache page.

(sigh) ah well, thanks all again for letting me spew, I'm gonna end my part of this thread now so it will either drop off or get closed.

Have a good wkend caching, may you find plenty of good stuff & not bug-ticks.

And what burns me even more is I & a friend went looking for it last week, & I emailed the cache owners for help as I thought it might have been removed for a local fest. Grrrrr So its not like someone didnt know...

I have yet to receive a reply, but had (had) chalked it up to them being busy, but we are talking 7 days now. :unsure:

You cannot possibly expect a cache owner to know what happens to every trackable that goes through a cache. It is not like we sit out and babysit our caches. I have placed 60 caches so that would be a little hard to do...

The inventory shows what is in a cache and when a coin is taken and logged it disappears from the inventory, so there really is no need to put a note on the cache page that you grabbed it. Just because you saw it before you left to grab it does not mean it will be there when you get to the cache. Someone else may get it before you. However if you are talking about coins still being in the inventory but not physically in the cache that is unacceptable. Your post does not sound like that though, sound like you expect a trackable to still be present when you arrive and if not it is the cache owners responsibility to know. Up here in norhern DE, coins go fast but generally do not disappear out of caches at least not by our group. We have spent 1000's of dollars of our own money to get coins back into caches so new cachers can have the oppurtunity to find them, and it really ticks me off when they are stolen. I even put out 25 unactivated coins in the last 6 months so others would have a chance to own one. I do understand the frustration you feel, we all do at sometime but be patient and learn the habits of your fellow cachers. If getting to see some of the nicer coins is all your looking for, or wanting to log them let me know I can accomadate that request for you. Sometimes it takes a newbie to get us old heads to go OOPS, maybe I need to start leaving notes about trackables in the logbooks. However I will never log it on the webpage as the inventory clearly shows when a trackable is gone, and who took it really makes no difference it still ain't there when I get there. I'll post something in the local forum regarding this, so you don't bombarded again by people like me who misunderstand your post.

Edited by programmer64

There are four actions to consider . . .

1. physically removing the bug/coin from the cache

2. writing a note in the cache log about what you did

3. posting a note on the cache page at GC.com about what you did

4. performing a "retrieve" action for the traveller at GC.com

If you do #1, you should always do #4

It is often difficult to correctly/completely do #2

If the thing in question is just a coin (or a bug with a tag attached), it is hard or impossible to know it's name

Writing the code in the log is considered bad form, since there are some who will log it without having seen it

I will usually write the time and date and "Bug swap", "Traveller exchange" or some such

But I don't (and often can't) identify the exact item(s) taken

For #3, I will write a note similar to the one that I wrote in the cache log

"Swapped bugs", or words to that effect

I don't list the individual items, since the website does a much better (more accurare) job of that

Andrew, you nailed it on the head.

If they had at least noted the log I wouldnt have cared, I havent had time to get back up this week while waiting for the owners to get back to me so I would have chalked it up to my loss, since I waited.

If they note it now I know its because they were given a headsup.

I pay for PQs which dont show when trackables are taken unless something is left in the logs, I also use PQs with bookmarks & in addt get notifications on certain caches. So I totally take advantage to everything GC makes available to us to use & I do so gladly.

It just makes me more & more not want to join my local group (I'm sure they are cheering over that as I would call them on a lot of bull they pull & I've seen in less than 2 months of returning)

It makes me want to join outside groups even more & also seriously rethink how I'm going to handle the caches I'm putting together with its trackables. (sigh)

Ahh well, I dont think things around here will change so I'm just wasting bandwidth griping about it here.

Thanks though, I thought maybe I was missing something but now I see its not me.

I'm not sure what you are expecting.

As far as I am concerned, short of being dead, there is no reason not to log the traveler out of the cache within a set time period.

But what does that have to do with your local caching group? Do they hold some sort of power over the cachers in your area and they aren't using it towards TB logging?

To be honest IMO it is proper to log in the logbook when a coin is taken. The date and the log let the ones that follow know the coin is gone. If I'm on vacation it may be days before I get a chance to log them on-line. If I note what I have taken in the logbook the record is clear who has what and when it happened regardless of on-line logging. If there is no note in the log it leaves room for doubt as to the whereabouts of the coin.

Cacher A,B,C&D can come along behind me and ASSUME, (Because I was the last entry in the log.) that I took that coin. (Whether I took it or not is moot.) If I didn't take the coin and it comes up missing, the finger starts wavering in my direction as the one who has the highest likelihood of having taken the coin and not logged it. No thank-you I want no part of that.

I make every attempt to keep my records clear when I'm playing with other peoples property.

Maybe GC should make the Tb and coin info abit more prominent? particularly making it clear that trackable coins operate just like TBs.

Is this a big deal? I haven't seen much abotu it and the OP does not appear to have a lot of experience with coins.

I think we're trying to create a solution in search of a problem.

I think it is a problem for newbies to figure out how to log coins. I don't think they realize a geocoin is a TB. I've had to teach several people who have gotten my coins. They, thank heavens, usually make a comment in the log! I then go back to them & ask them if they have my coin. I don't mind helping out, but I wish it were in the frequently asked questions or even a little better explanation under "what is a travel bug". It would be nice if they could at least update the answer to the question, "Do you track geocoins?". There are a lot more coins out there now than just the USA & Moun10bike coins!

I think it is a problem for newbies to figure out how to log coins. I don't think they realize a geocoin is a TB. I've had to teach several people who have gotten my coins. They, thank heavens, usually make a comment in the log! I then go back to them & ask them if they have my coin. I don't mind helping out, but I wish it were in the frequently asked questions or even a little better explanation under "what is a travel bug". It would be nice if they could at least update the answer to the question, "Do you track geocoins?". There are a lot more coins out there now than just the USA & Moun10bike coins!

yep ....... cattle prod out again....Bryan where are the updated pages????