Magic 8 Ball Geocoin

BigMahma

Bummer - I saw one at the NCGEO Fall fling and though it was a cool coin. If C&P is out there listening, it sounds like y'all could do larger editions of general interest coins - or restrike them.

The early bird gets the worm. Don't make more. It will ruin the value of the coin. If they did larger editions they would not be in such high demand. If moun10bike minted 1000's of coins to meet demand the coin would no longer be valued as it is now. Lets not turn this in to a bash C&P again thread!

I ordered one and will trade mine for a Moun10bike coin

SlabyFam

My comment wasn't made to bash C&P. If you collect geocoins as an investment, then I can see where the value of the coin might be an issue (to you). If they are just a collectable, or better still a TB that one hopes to release to or find in a geocache, then more shouldn't be a big deal.

C&P could easily sell them at a higher margin or for what they can get at ebay. They don't, which is to their credit and absolutely a reason not to bash them If they make 500 or 2500, the margin is the same (thought the net profit is higher on the larger sales). If you snag one at $10 and see it as a way to make a profit of $40, please forgive me if I don't care if your investment value is reduced on higher sales.

My motivation is to see coins in caches; although I do hold onto some of the nicer ones that I buy. I don't particularly care about the $value of the coins I own. In fact, the high dollar value of some makes me concerned about activating them for release. (I hope that the gold '06 CR that I activated will move well once released)

I guess my bottom lines are:

I didn't get the coin, and I won't be losing any sleep over it.

C&P is free to run their business any way they want. I've been pleased with their service so far and have no complaints!

A part of me wishes that C&P was more able to reap the benefits ($) of the cool coins that they run rather than the "investment" buyers.

Cool design yime!

Perhaps people need to remember that coin companies (not just, but including coinsandpins) are businesses, they are here to make a profit, as any good business wants to do, they are not "part of the community" trying to make sure everyone gets their fair share of the coins(seeing prices on some recent personal coins I think that whole community thing is kinda funny myself).

Reinforcing what Yime said with the ebay issue, Aaron was not the one who put the coin up there at $50 or even $30, that was all the consumers doing. I just don't get it, the new ipod or cabbage patch doll (or whatever new toy/gadget) comes out, they sell out immediately, show up on ebay for ridiculous prices and people either buy them or they don't, I don't hear people crying about that, it's supply and demand, a fact of commerce. It's not a matter of life and death, it's not the cure for cancer, it's a coin.

Like I said last time, there are people in this world that have a sense of entitlement.

I missed this one, was up early enough but out of the house to the Tall Stacks ( Steamboat event held here in Cincinnati about once every 4 years...) with my navigator and just got back home. I was hoping that the 8 ball coin would be available this late but that wasn't the case.....

I would be interested in setting up a trade for one if that is at all possible with someone.

Thanks in advance

Dan

I really hope they will make more. I missed getting 1 by just a couple of minutes. I hope that this won't turn out to be like the gold compass rose. I missed out on that one & the only way to get it was on eBay & pay about twice as much. I'd rather pay C&P or one of our other coin co. the extra money. Don't get me wrong, there are some very legitimate geocachers who regularly sell on eBay, but from what I've seen they buy a couple extra of each coin. They don't buy large quantities. If we spend our money on our coin companies they can turn around & invest it in making more coins. I'd much rather see the profits go to them! They are the ones who help the rest of us get our coins produced, released, shipped, sold etc And, that's my nickel's worth.

I see the announcement, but it doesn't say if the design will change between the first and second batches. I don't care - I just want one, but collectors may perceive a difference.

I personaly don't care about the fact that this coin is going to be reminted and made available to again, however this is exactly what other collecters warned me about when designing coins...don't say your going to mint this amount and then mint more...reduces the desire to have this coin because who know when it will stop. Makes it less desirable to collect/own.

Good luck on it...but I will never buy this coin now that there are plans to add to the orriginal coin number...kind of pointless if ya say 250 then stick to it and then any other number you say or redesign the coin and submit that to the public...

I personaly don't care about the fact that this coin is going to be reminted and made available to again, however this is exactly what other collecters warned me about when designing coins...don't say your going to mint this amount and then mint more...reduces the desire to have this coin because who know when it will stop. Makes it less desirable to collect/own.

Good luck on it...but I will never buy this coin now that there are plans to add to the orriginal coin number...kind of pointless if ya say 250 then stick to it and then any other number you say or redesign the coin and submit that to the public...

I missed where C&P said they were minting X number of coins BEFORE the sale. I found out through the email I got stating they were minting more coins due to demand. Can you point that post out to me somewhere? Thanks.

Coins and pins do not make the number minted available publically from what I can see and have been told by Aaron. Unless a coin is specifically marked LE you would be unwise to assume there will not be a reprint, particularly as the dies ar kept on hand for 3 years and reprints are generally cheaper than the original run, particualrly for small initial runs.

The number minted of this coin in no way reduces its desirablity for me* - their quality is always so much higher than some other coins of low mintage. Thanks Glenn for being on the ball and saving me one!

( *but having read the carry on between certain cachers I don't want one of those gold ravens anymore! this sort of thing sure sends a coins stocks plummeting at my place. A moun10bike is never going to make it onto my wanted list either although moving one in the wild would be grand. )