Making Custom TOPO Maps

Bus36

this is great... many thanks to all who contributed to this topic, both as instructors and as students. many of my questions were answered in the thread.

i've gotten everything except the test_pv.txt edits for the second and subsequent maps. when i try the second map the it replaces the first one in Mapsource. i add both under the [Files] but it replaces the previous one.

i noticed the REM after the ProductCoce=111 line but changing this doesn't seem to helm.

i'm a little slow at this but i've gotten this far and dot't want to give up now

kdol5

Well it took a few hours to finally figure it out, but....... I guess Mom was right, nothin' that's worth anything comes easy. It wasn't easy, but it sure is worth it . These topo's with Hydro are great. They really add to the experience.

Thanks all.

OK So I finally suceeded in making a topo map and I was able to load the image into Mapsource. However

the map number did not show up in the "map" tab window. I was able to upload the .img to my 60 Cx with

Sendmap with no problems. When I tryed to download the the map back into Mapsource, it told me

there were no maps to download. The map WAS clearly in the 60Cx.

I have the Mapsource version that came with the 60Cx and I have not enabled it with any commercial maps.

Could it be that Mapsource must have a valid map key for it to upload ? Is there a registry setting

to turn this on ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by draselok

Thanks to Groundspeak members GeoBobC and EAParks for all their efforts. Rev.1; 09-29-2006

Thank you for all your help. I have managed to create the >img file. I can view the file in Mapedit, so I know it is a good map, but I can't see it in my GPS 60CSx. I am changing the file name to gmapsupp.img and copying it to the gps. I can view the file there but I don't see it on the gps screen. I have gone to the map menu but I don't see the map. I have selected show all but there is no other map then the base map. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Flapjackson

Hmmm not sure what is going on. Have you tried to zoom in? Have you tried to put it into mapsource then load it onto the gps? Here is a tool that could help you out and others. I haven't tried it myself yet since I just modify the registry myself but you might want to try it.

http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/home

OK So I finally suceeded in making a topo map and I was able to load the image into Mapsource. However

the map number did not show up in the "map" tab window. I was able to upload the .img to my 60 Cx with

Sendmap with no problems. When I tryed to download the the map back into Mapsource, it told me

I have the Mapsource version that came with the 60Cx and I have not enabled it with any commercial maps.

Could it be that Mapsource must have a valid map key for it to upload ? Is there a registry setting

to turn this on ?

Thanks in advance

I know that you can't simply load the map from the gps into mapsource. I tried it but it didn't work. You have to modify the registry and such. Check out these websites for help. Also cypherman came up with this program. I think it will make things much easier. Haven't tried it myself yet but looks very good.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Let me know if you still need help

to turn this on ?

Thanks in advance

I know that you can't simply load the map from the gps into mapsource. I tried it but it didn't work. You have to modify the registry and such. Check out these websites for help. Also cypherman came up with this program. I think it will make things much easier. Haven't tried it myself yet but looks very good.

Yes I did modify the registry. Mapsource loaded the file into itself fine. I could see the map and manipulate it. But it did not show up in the available map window. And why would mapsource not see my map once it was uploaded using SendMap ??? BTW, It downloded the routes and waypoints just fine.

Thanks I will check out those links.

to turn this on ?

Thanks in advance

Yes I did modify the registry. Mapsource loaded the file into itself fine. I could see the map and manipulate it. But it did not show up in the available map window. And why would mapsource not see my map once it was uploaded using SendMap ??? BTW, It downloded the routes and waypoints just fine.

Thanks I will check out those links.

For mapsource to see your map you have to edit the registry and such so it knows where the file is. I am no expert I just know if you use sendmap to send it to the gps and then use the gps to send it to mapsource it will not work. So when you load mapsource you can zoom into your custom map and see it? Did you select the map to be uploaded using the map tool? Just a thought. Let me know if you can't get it and I will see what I can do. I have a little more time right now and can try and help people out if needed just let me know.

Bus, I'm not really sure if this answers your question, because I really have no clue what I'm doing, but I noticed that the test map (from the other thread with the tutorial video http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=146955) did not show up in the MapSource drop down menu in unless I had my GPS hooked up.

I have two questions:

1. Did I hear correctly that if I try and send a new map to my GPS (Garmin Vista Cx) using MapSource I will delete the BaseMap that came with my GPS? How do I avoid doing that (detailed instructions please, I'm really lost!)

2. I went to http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ and found a map that I would like to load to my GPS (http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/getmap.php?id=1987&type=bin) it downloads and unzips as an ".IMG". I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but what do I do now if I just want to load this thing on to my Vista Cx? In the directions given in this thread, is there a certain step where I jump in?

Bus, I'm not really sure if this answers your question, because I really have no clue what I'm doing, but I noticed that the test map (from the other thread with the tutorial video http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=146955) did not show up in the MapSource drop down menu in unless I had my GPS hooked up.

I have two questions:

1. Did I hear correctly that if I try and send a new map to my GPS (Garmin Vista Cx) using MapSource I will delete the BaseMap that came with my GPS? How do I avoid doing that (detailed instructions please, I'm really lost!)

2. I went to http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ and found a map that I would like to load to my GPS (http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/getmap.php?id=1987&type=bin) it downloads and unzips as an ".IMG". I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but what do I do now if I just want to load this thing on to my Vista Cx? In the directions given in this thread, is there a certain step where I jump in?

Thanks for trying to help. I know that you do not need your gps hooked up to see the maps in mapsource. I looked at cyphermans mapsettoolkit lastnight and it looks very good and easy. If you use it then you won't have to edit the registry so I would try it first. Anyways here are the answers to your questions.

1. You will not delete your basemap. The basemap is stored on the gps while the maps on the x units are stored on the memory card. So you when you load the custom map you will keep the basemap. Now if you have navigator maps or garmin topo maps you have to load them along with the custom map. This is where if you have navigator maps on your gps then load one custom map you will erase the navigator maps. So navigator, garmin topos and custom maps are stored on the microsd card and the basemap is stored on the gps.

2. Jump in here or try to use cyphermans mapsettoolkit. It can be found here. I think it is much easier but have no step by step instructions as of yet.http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/home

If not jump to here for now.

Create a folder named “custom” under the Garmin folder and copy your custom map to it. (Only do this for the 1st map ONLY.)

5. Copy cGPSmapper.exe to the same folder.

6. Copy test_pv.txt (found in the Test_Map folder of cGPSmapper) to your custom folder.

7. Edit test_pv.txt (using NotePad or WordPad – works best) so it looks something like this and “File > Save”:

[Map]

FileName=CINtopo ‘ anything

MapVersion=100

ProductCode=111 ‘ a different number for each custom map (not sure this matters)

Color=32

Levels=2

Level0=20 ‘ this should be the least detailed (but not empty) layer on your map

Level1=17 ‘ anything

Zoom0=5

Zoom1=6

MapsourceName=CINtopo ‘ anything (this will be the name of the files and registry entry)

MapSetName=CT ‘ anything

CDSetName=CT ‘ anything

Copy1=Garmin

Copy2=Stan

[End-Map]

‘ You should do this - delete the Dictionary section that shows up in your “test_pv.txt file”.

[Files]

img=10000123.img ‘This is your map file name. *** MUST be numbers ***

‘ YOU CAN HAVE SEVERAL OF THESE “img” LINES. They will all be compiled into a single preview map, and you can select and upload them to your GPS individually using Mapsource.

[END-Files]

8. Open a “command window” (DOS prompt): Start > Run, type “cmd” and click “OK”.

9. Now type “cd c:\garmin\custom” in the command window to change the directory to the “custom” folder and click “Enter”.

10. Create the preview files: type “cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt” and click “Enter”. This creates a small preview map file (.img), a table file (.TDB) and a registry file (.reg).

You Don’t Have To Do Steps 11-13 Except For You’re 1st Custom Map ONLY

11. Edit the registry file (i.e. CINtopo.reg) that was just created in your “Custom” folder: Right click on it and select Edit. Change the folders (directories) so they point to your custom folder. Yes, you need the double back-slashes:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\CINtopo]

“LOC”=”C:\\Garmin\\custom\\”

“BMAP”=”C:\\Garmin\\custom\\CINtopo.img”

“TDB”=”C:\\Garmin\\custom\\CINtopo.tdb”

and click File > Save.

12. Run the registry file (double click it) that you edited in your “custom” folder and select “yes” to load it into your registry.

13. Open Mapsource. If you made a registry file mistake you will get an error saying to reinstall MapSource. Don’t worry, you don’t have to reinstall. Just run “regedit” (seek help if unsure about this!) and remove the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\CINtopo” key. Repeat the above steps until you get it right.

14. You should now see your map listed in MapSource along with your other Garmin maps in the ‘Product’ list as “CINtopo”.

15. Select (click) your map and the preview map will show up in the map area of the screen. Since we did not go to any trouble to make the preview map pretty you will see an outline and not much more. You may be able to zoom in to see more detail of your custom map.

16. You should now be able to use the “Map Tool” to select your custom map for uploading and upload it with your other maps.

Any other quesitons just let me know.

Here's a video tutorial I created showing how to use Cypherman's Mapset Toolkit to install maps into Mapsource. The zip file contains a video that plays in Windows Media Player and step by step text instructions to follow along with video.

Mapset Toolkit makes it so easy to install maps into Mapsource...no more command line and tweaking pv files.

Tutorial

Edited by rws

Thank you, Bus, for the help. I have the map on my GPS now!

And now I have a bunch more questions! Don't know if this is the right thread for them, though; could just cause clutter.

rws, I haven't taken a look at the video, but thanks so much for putting something like that up for all to see. I prefer the step by step text instructions, and I used yours to clarify what bus was saying.

Thanks guys for your contributions to this forum!

[i'm adding this edit a few minutes after this post:]

Uh oh... there's a problem...

The map shows up with the street names in MapSource on the PC, and they display correctly. But on the GPS they only display the first letter and then some weird underscore thingys. For exampe, "Lions Gate Bridge" show up as "L---- G--- B-----", "King George Highway" as "K--- G----- H------" or "Powell" as "P-----". Yikes!

Edited by Isaiah 40:31

The map shows up with the street names in MapSource on the PC, and they display correctly. But on the GPS they only display the first letter and then some weird underscore thingys. For exampe, "Lions Gate Bridge" show up as "L---- G--- B-----", "King George Highway" as "K--- G----- H------" or "Powell" as "P-----". Yikes!

The LBLcoding=9 and Codepage=1252 declarations the author used must not be compatible with your GPSr (or mine as it displayed the same way yours did).

Authors Coding

vancover1.jpg

I recoded the map in 7-bit ACSII American 7-bit and now the full street names appear correctly on GPSr screen

vancover.jpg

Edited by rws

The LBLcoding=9 and Codepage=1252 declarations the author used must not be compatible with your GPSr (or mine as it displayed the same way yours did).

Authors Coding

vancover1.jpg

I recoded the map in 7-bit ACSII American 7-bit and the full street names appear

vancover.jpg

Thanks for posting the video tutorials. I have looked at many of them and even though I know the process they are helpful for newbies. Do you happen to have a website or something with all your videos on for making maps? If so can you reference it so I can direct people there if needed. Thanks for the great work.

Thanks for posting the video tutorials. I have looked at many of them and even though I know the process they are helpful for newbies. Do you happen to have a website or something with all your videos on for making maps? If so can you reference it so I can direct people there if needed. Thanks for the great work.

no I don't, but several people have offered to host them for me...I will post a notice when a website begins hosting them

Ok, I got it to work, thank you very much, guys, for the assistance.

Just to clarify for those listening (and correct me if I'm wrong):

Clarification #1:

Create a folder named “custom” under the Garmin folder and copy your custom map to it. (Only do this for the 1st map ONLY.)

When this says UNDER the Garmin folder, it means IN the Garmin folder.

Clarification #2: Also, when using the command line (dos) portion, BE PATIENT some parts take quite a while for it to process (mine appeared stuck at something like 98% for many minutes)

Clarification #3: When you hook your GPS up and run MapSource, it automatically connects to the internal memory. In order for it to save the maps to the MicroSD card:

With your GPS connected to the PC and turned ON, go to SETUP ---> INTERFACE ---> and select "USB Mass Storage". Then in MapSource, you can select SEND TO DEVICE. You'll then see in the pop-up menu "Removable Disk"

This may be the instance where, if you don't make sure you set it to the "Removable Disk" you will lose the maps on your internal memory. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Ok, so I've made a few topos now. Boy it takes a LONG time to process.

As was suggested here, I've put the contours at 500, 200 and 20ft. The water level threshold is at 5 feet.

But I'm getting contour lines on my GPS in the middle of the water of my base map. (I'm not using the hydro in my custom maps - is there a source for that for Canadian areas?) but I don't think it's just a matter of the base map being off.

Here's two that I've come up with:

http://70.69.38.186/jakewebpages/maps

Also, I wish I could have a less detailed topo when I'm zoomed out further. It is hard to get an overview of ones surroundings when zoomed in so far on such a small display.

Ok, new problem ... I took the 4 USGS DEM maps for the Northern Virginia/DC/MD area, converted to mp files, combined the 4 files in mapedit into one 360M mp file, added water data, and got everything to convert into an img file of about 50M. Then tried to view it in MapSource and load it into my GPS. MapSource sees the file, but when I tried to zoom in or load it into my GPS MapSource started crashing ... any ideas? After the first crash I checked and upgraded to the latest MapSource version and it still crashed. Thanks ...

MapSource crash dump:

App: MapSource

At: 1/8/2007 1:44:22 PM (UTC)

Processor: Pentium Pro or Pentium II, RAM: 523184

DSK_PRIVPARTITION.CPP-266-6.11.6.0

Language ID: 1033

Part Number: 006-A0041-00

Build Type: Release

Extra: Opening map at (lat,lon): 38.8716, -77.4928

Resolution: 25

Stack Trace:

Also, I wish I could have a less detailed topo when I'm zoomed out further. It is hard to get an overview of ones surroundings when zoomed in so far on such a small display.

Try setting your GPSr map detail to "more" instead of "most". You should then get the 20 foot contours only when zoomed in to 800 feet.

Ok, new problem ... I took the 4 USGS DEM maps for the Northern Virginia/DC/MD area, converted to mp files, combined the 4 files in mapedit into one 360M mp file, added water data, and got everything to convert into an img file of about 50M. Then tried to view it in MapSource and load it into my GPS. MapSource sees the file, but when I tried to zoom in or load it into my GPS MapSource started crashing ... any ideas? After the first crash I checked and upgraded to the latest MapSource version and it still crashed. Thanks ...

MapSource crash dump:

Stack Trace:

Not sure what is going on. What gps unit do you have? Also have you tried to load other img files with success? Does mapsource load other garmin maps like navigator or topo with success? Maybe some of these answers will help me out.

MapSource crash dump:

Stack Trace:

Not sure what is going on. What gps unit do you have? Also have you tried to load other img files with success? Does mapsource load other garmin maps like navigator or topo with success? Maybe some of these answers will help me out.

Using a GPSMAP 60 CX with a 512MB SD card. MapSource loads street maps fine. When it comes to my new topo, it crashes ...

I am planning on making the topo into two smaller files to test the file size but don't know what else to try.

Thanks for looking at this ...

dave

MapSource crash dump:

Stack Trace:

Using a GPSMAP 60 CX with a 512MB SD card. MapSource loads street maps fine. When it comes to my new topo, it crashes ...

I am planning on making the topo into two smaller files to test the file size but don't know what else to try.

dave

You could try this to see if it is the img file or mapsource that is giving you problems.

1.Generate the .img map as usual. Change the name of the .img file name to gmapsupp.img.

2.Turn on unit

3. Attach the 60Cx via the USB cable to your computer.

4. After the device has been recongnized, go to:

-->Main Menu--> Interface--->USB Mass Storage

5.The system enters a USB storage mode and looks appears as a disk drive.

6.Enter the disk drive where a folder called Garmin exists.

7.Copy the gmapsupp.img file to the folder.

8. Disconnect unit.

My guess is that your img file is to large for mapsource but not 100% sure. Try and load the img file onto the gps this way and see what you get. Also if you make smaller files let me know how that turns out. If that still doesn't work then let me know and we can try something else.

FYI, just loaded a test file from another cacher. It appears to be working fine with MapSource.

Is there a file size limitation on the *.img files? That is all I can think of. I am testing a smaller map (2 USGS DEM files as source) as we speak. Will let you know how that turns out after it quits chugging and churning the data.

Ok, I think maybe my last post might have got lost in the all the others. But I do have a few questions:

In DEM2TOPO

1. What should the Sea level threshold be set at?

2. In the DEM2TOPO "How To" that comes with the program, the screen shot showa the MAJOR interval to be LESS than the MINOR. Is this a typo?

3. Is there a source for Canadian Hydrographic maps? I'm trying to see a creek that I've paddled many times, and I just can't tell where it is even with my topo over the base map.

4. I should have mentioned that the maps I generated are of a couple areas in the Lower Mainland (near Vancouver) British Columbia, Canada. I noticed that some people have downloaded them. How do they look?

5. The Mapset Toolkit Instrctions.txt suggests different Levels/Zoom than what Bus has suggested. What is the difference?

6. Why am I seeing countour lines in the middle of the water? (I don't think it's an issue with the basemap being incorrect.) It might be sand bars, but I'm not sure. I really don't want to spend a couple hours to make yet another map, if it's going to be wrong.

Oh, and another thing:

Using the Mapset Toolkit is way easier than trying to edit the registry yourself. I got confused and ended up uninstalling and deleting all sorts of stuff in order to get it to work for me again after I had tried to do the registry edit thing. Here's what I do:

1. In the Garmin folder make a new folder named "custom"

2. Install cGPSmapper into it's own folder inside the "custom" folder. (I'm not sure, but I think this could be anywhere on your hardrive.

3. In the folder "custom" make a new folder for EACH map using a simple name:

"WhoVilleNorthWestTopo" folder

"WhoVilleSouthWestTopo" folder

"WhoVilleNorthEastTopo" folder

"WhoVilleSouthEastTopo" folder

4. Take the file you exported (Garmin IMG / cgpsmapper.exe) from GPSMapEdit and place it in the appropriate folder you made in step 3. Make sure you've changed "IMG filename" to the 8-digit number you had set in the "Map Properties" in GPSMapEdit. (ex.: 11111111.img).

5. Launch MapSet Toolkit (can be located anywhere on your hard drive).

6. Click the "Select IMG files" button. Navigate to the folder with the image file you want to open:

"WhoVilleNorthWestTopo" folder. Click on the folder (it won't let you go into the folder) and hit OK.

7. The route to the map will show up in the "Source IMG Files" field. Click on it to highlight it, and then click "Add -->"

8. Click on the listing of the route in the "Selected IMG files"

9. Mapset Directory: Navigate to the same folder the file (11111111.img) was in. In this case the "WhoVilleNorthWestTopo" folder. Again, click on it, it won't let you enter the folder). Click OK.

10. Enter a name in the "Mapset Name" field (don't know if it's ok to have spaces).

11. Product Code: Enter a 3 digit code (where did I read it has to be above 111?). Make sure it is unique from all other Mapset product codes you may have.

12. IMG Level/Zoom field - When doing this step refer to the Level/Zooms settings you made to THIS PARTICULAR FILE in the GPSMapEdit program.

I took the following info straight from the Mapset Toolkit instructions.txt:

Levels/Zoom in detail IMG file:

Level0=23

Level1=21

Level2=19

Level3=17

Level4=16

Level5=15 <=== and one number lower...in this case 14

Zoom0=0::

Zoom1=1

Zoom2=2

Zoom3=3

Zoom4=4

Zoom5=5

<=== in this case 6 and 7

Be careful to keep the format that is already supplied in the IMG Level/Zoom field.

13. Click on the "..." button beside the 'cgpsmapper' field. Navigate to where you have the cgpsmapper.exe. (in our case it would be:

C:\Garmin\custom\cGPSmapper\cgpsmapper.exe

Click on .exe and then click open.

14. Make sure the "Install in Mapsource" box is checked.

15. Click on and highlight the file in the "Selected IMG files" (Not sure if this step is necessary)

16. Click the START button.

17. After it's done (doesn't take long at all) make sure you close the Mapset Toolkit program.

Ok, now you can either repeat this process with the additional .IMG files you have, or you can go to MapSource and install them to your GPS.

Aye - yai - yai (Or however Dilbert would say it).

I just realized that when you download the maps from the GeoBase.ca site that there are actually 2 map parts in the folder! (An east and a west) And I though 2+ hours for a map was bad enough.

I sure hope I'm doing these contour and level things appropriately.

Ok, now I'm rambling!

MapSource crash dump:

Stack Trace:

dave

You could try this to see if it is the img file or mapsource that is giving you problems.

1.Generate the .img map as usual. Change the name of the .img file name to gmapsupp.img.

2.Turn on unit

3. Attach the 60Cx via the USB cable to your computer.

4. After the device has been recongnized, go to:

-->Main Menu--> Interface--->USB Mass Storage

5.The system enters a USB storage mode and looks appears as a disk drive.

6.Enter the disk drive where a folder called Garmin exists.

7.Copy the gmapsupp.img file to the folder.

8. Disconnect unit.

My guess is that your img file is to large for mapsource but not 100% sure. Try and load the img file onto the gps this way and see what you get. Also if you make smaller files let me know how that turns out. If that still doesn't work then let me know and we can try something else.

Yes, the map in question is there ... appears to be a MapSource defect.

I have 2 topo img files now .,.. 7.3M and 8.6M ... the smaller loads fine along with my streets maps and the larger crashes mapsource as soon as I zoom in.

Thanks for the help ...

dave

so the limit must be somewhere in between ...

Yes, the map in question is there ... appears to be a MapSource defect.

I have 2 topo img files now .,.. 7.3M and 8.6M ... the smaller loads fine along with my streets maps and the larger crashes mapsource as soon as I zoom in.

Thanks for the help ...

dave

so the limit must be somewhere in between ...

Another posibility is there is some error in the MP file that is the problem. When you split the file, the error was in the bigger part. Or it could be a size issue.

I wish I'd never gone down this path of creating my own topo maps! :ph34r:

My Garmin US Topo Map set just showed up on the door. With great anticipation, I loaded the software on my computer and proceeded to check my local area (which I had already created a custom topo map for).

Zooming in, I kept waiting for amazing detail to show up and, eh? Where is it? Where is the detail I'd gotten used to from my custom map? IT WASN"T THERE!!!! :laughing:

Oh Boy. So, I guess it'll be okay for things like driving around, or whatever. But for hiking? Think I'll stick to the custom maps...

Oh well....

I wish I'd never gone down this path of creating my own topo maps! :ph34r:

My Garmin US Topo Map set just showed up on the door. With great anticipation, I loaded the software on my computer and proceeded to check my local area (which I had already created a custom topo map for).

Zooming in, I kept waiting for amazing detail to show up and, eh? Where is it? Where is the detail I'd gotten used to from my custom map? IT WASN"T THERE!!!! :laughing:

Oh Boy. So, I guess it'll be okay for things like driving around, or whatever. But for hiking? Think I'll stick to the custom maps...

Oh well....

Yep. I went the other way. Had the Garmin topos and made my custom ones. What a difference. That is why I was hoping people would be willing to upload their custom topos so others could use them and share them. They are better and a lot better for hiking and such.

Once I get a little better handle on what I'm doing, I'll upload some maps to mapcenter. Just want to make sure I'm creating useful maps of a reasonable size/benefit, etc...

Just for an example, heres a the comparison of my local area. Mapsource is on the left, Custom Topo is on the right. I've pulled these from mapsource. Nice thing is, since the custom topo is transparent, I can see both the streets (from an old copy of roads and rec) and the topo at the same time on the gpsr.

tc.jpg

Edited by KingBubbaTruck
That is why I was hoping people would be willing to upload their custom topos so others could use them and share them. They are better and a lot better for hiking and such.

I have made a bunch (about a dozen) already, but I haven't uploaded any of them, yet. Bus, or Cypherman, if you could answer some of the questions I have it would be a great help before I actually upload these things. I put a link to a couple of my files so you could see if I should be doing anything differently. Mine don't have water, and I don't know if the link I posted is what I need to use?

Please let me know.

Now that we see the difference in topo's, I wonder if we can put streets and roads into these things. Have seen another's unit with streets and they are outdated.

Any thoughts?

Since the Custom Topo maps are transparent, you can see other maps beneath it. I've got an old copy of roads and rec, and heres a sample of what it looks like on the G76CSx.

TC_custom.jpg

Is there a source for updated road data that could be imported?

Maybe you could even import the garmin data?

Edited by KingBubbaTruck

Now that we see the difference in topo's, I wonder if we can put streets and roads into these things. Have seen another's unit with streets and they are outdated.

Any thoughts?

Since the Custom Topo maps are transparent, you can see other maps beneath it. I've got an old copy of roads and rec, and heres a sample of what it looks like on the G76CSx.

TC_custom.jpg

I have the same model as you and the topos, with hydro, look great even with the base map that came with it. I guess that when learning how to do the transparent maps I failed to notice if roads were available. I've lived here for 25 years and my friend's "streets" CD fails to show a 23 year old 4-lane highway that runs right by my house. So if I could make my own map including topo, water and roads selectivly for the areas that I want I wouldn't be held captive by outdated software.

Have some friends at the Hgwy Dept that might know of a web site where data could be Dn loaded like the topo/hydro that might be added to the equasion. Wouldn't that be cool? :laughing:

Been farting around with the seamless site. Haven't made much progress, cause some of this stuff takes so long to process, but it looks like you can download hydro and road data from that same site....

Just wondering if anyone else has played with straying from the specific path outlined in this thread.

I currently working on creating something for the area I'm currently in. If I figure out anything on the roads, I'll let you know....

Been farting around with the seamless site. Haven't made much progress, cause some of this stuff takes so long to process, but it looks like you can download hydro and road data from that same site....

Just wondering if anyone else has played with straying from the specific path outlined in this thread.

I currently working on creating something for the area I'm currently in. If I figure out anything on the roads, I'll let you know....

The USGS road data will be very out-of-date. It may be of use in rural areas, but if you want recent data you can either buy City Navigator and use the transparent feature of the topos, or ride around and make tracks of the new roads in the area. It is easy to open a .gpx file of tracks and bring it into your .mp file where you convert the tracks to polylines. I don't bother with roads, but that's how I get hiking trails into my topos.

Ok, I think maybe my last post might have got lost in the all the others. But I do have a few questions:

In DEM2TOPO

1. What should the Sea level threshold be set at?

2. In the DEM2TOPO "How To" that comes with the program, the screen shot showa the MAJOR interval to be LESS than the MINOR. Is this a typo?

3. Is there a source for Canadian Hydrographic maps? I'm trying to see a creek that I've paddled many times, and I just can't tell where it is even with my topo over the base map.

4. I should have mentioned that the maps I generated are of a couple areas in the Lower Mainland (near Vancouver) British Columbia, Canada. I noticed that some people have downloaded them. How do they look?

5. The Mapset Toolkit Instrctions.txt suggests different Levels/Zoom than what Bus has suggested. What is the difference?

6. Why am I seeing countour lines in the middle of the water? (I don't think it's an issue with the basemap being incorrect.) It might be sand bars, but I'm not sure. I really don't want to spend a couple hours to make yet another map, if it's going to be wrong.

Sorry it has taken me so long but have been busy. Anyways.

1. Keep it at 5 or default. Not sure what it is or does?

2. Not sure wouldn't worry about it.

3. Not sure about data for Canada. I have only made US maps as of now. You might be able to go to mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com and see Canadian maps and see if there is waterways then contact an author about where they got it.

4. Where can I download them to take a look?

5. You can play around with the levels and zoom. I made mine the way I did since I think it looks the best. The different levels and such will display the contours different on the gps that is all. It is best to just try a bunch of different settings and also change the detail setting on the gps to see what you like the best.

6. I would say not to worry about it. I will guess that your custom map is fine and I wouldn't be surprised if the basemap was off. You will be surprised when you start comparing maps between navigator, garmin topos and custom topos. I think the custom topos are better and more accurate.

If there is anything else let me know. Also let me know where to find a map of yours and I will look at it.

Any thoughts?

TC_custom.jpg

I have the same model as you and the topos, with hydro, look great even with the base map that came with it. I guess that when learning how to do the transparent maps I failed to notice if roads were available. I've lived here for 25 years and my friend's "streets" CD fails to show a 23 year old 4-lane highway that runs right by my house. So if I could make my own map including topo, water and roads selectivly for the areas that I want I wouldn't be held captive by outdated software.

Have some friends at the Hgwy Dept that might know of a web site where data could be Dn loaded like the topo/hydro that might be added to the equasion. Wouldn't that be cool? :)

You can add roads. The only problems are it is hard to find updated information and also it is almost impossible to make the roads routable. But you can add them to your maps just as a standard road like in Garmin topo maps. Also if your maps are transparent and you have your custom topos+roads along with lets say garmins maps it can get cluttered. You can always turn off maps though to help this out. You can add a lot of stuff to your maps. Just look around on sites and you can add trails, POI, boundries of parks, townships, etc. The sky is the limit.

Edited by Bus36

As was suggested here, I've put the contours at 500, 200 and 20ft. The water level threshold is at 5 feet.

But I'm getting contour lines on my GPS in the middle of the water of my base map. (I'm not using the hydro in my custom maps - is there a source for that for Canadian areas?) but I don't think it's just a matter of the base map being off.

Bus, thank you for replying. Yours and cyphermans guru greatness helps us all as our "map making lives" hang in the balance!

The above is where I had originally posted the link.

Also, is this where I'd go for my water? And which type of map, specifically (link, please) would I need?

http://geogratis.gc.ca/downftp/en/

Would the Geobase.ca be an appropriate place for roads?

Bus, thank you for replying. Yours and cyphermans guru greatness helps us all as our "map making lives" hang in the balance!

The above is where I had originally posted the link.

Also, is this where I'd go for my water? And which type of map, specifically (link, please) would I need?

Would the Geobase.ca be an appropriate place for roads?

NP. I looked at your maps and I think they look great. As for the few contours in the waterways I wouldn't worry about them. As for waterways for Canada I haven't found anything yet. I will try and look into it and see if I can find something for you. The mapcenter website is down right now so I can't see if others have found a place for the waterways. As for the roads I would try the Geobase.ca and load them onto your maps and then go for a drive and see if they are accurate. They will probably be fine but not sure.

END of gpsmapedit☺

1. Find your newly created .img file and change the name to the 8 digit number that you gave the map in step 4B.

2. You can now send the map image to your GPS or Mapsource. My instructions follow:

3. Create and compile your map using cGPSmapper. You must give it a name of all numbers: ex. 10000123.img. (You already did this in Step B2.)

4. Create a folder named “custom” under the Garmin folder and copy your custom map to it. (Only do this for the 1st map ONLY.)

5. Copy cGPSmapper.exe to the same folder.

6. Copy test_pv.txt (found in the Test_Map folder of cGPSmapper) to your custom folder.

7. Edit test_pv.txt (using NotePad or WordPad – works best) so it looks something like this and “File >

gpsmapedit took nearly 2 hours! That's one good reason to have a 2nd computer (marital harmony).

I am not sure if step 3 in my quoted subset of instructions is a direct instruction or a foreshadowing of what is to be done after step 7. The reason I ask is because I wouldn't know what parameters to give in step 3. And most confoundingly I do not find any sub-folders under cGPSmapper, and consequently I have no test_pv.txt file.

I feel like I am missing something that is starting me right in the face.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am sooooo close!!

The time involved depends on how large and complex an area you are processing. I started off with a very small area to start, to get the hang of it.

Right now though, I created a fairly HUGE one. Downloaded 6 good sized areas and combined them. Demo2topo took about 45 minutes each for those. I downloaded 3 different sub-basins of NHD to put on top of that....

We'll see how it works......

Step 3, the name you give the actual file must match the name you gave the map in the map properties tab in map edit (for example, I gave mine a name of 00000011)

I didn't have the subdirectory either, so I just created the test_pv.txt file by cutting and pasting.

Just make sure to have the name of your img file in the files section, and all should be well.

cgpsmapper.exe pv test_pv.txt will create a few files in that directory, along with a .reg file.

If its the first time, you need to edit the reg file and then run it to import the info into the registry.

Once you run the reg file, and open mapsource, you should be able to select your map from the drop down in mapsource.

Oh, and then you will be addicted and start doing crazy things like seeing how huge of a map you can create.... :D

Edited by KingBubbaTruck