Making Custom TOPO Maps

Bus36

OK - I have a transparent topo on top of my CN8 maps installed on my 60CSx. I can only see the topo lines (and some altitude markers) when zoomed out to at least .5 miles. Once I zoom in closer, all topo goes away.

What'd I do wrong?

I have the same question posted in another thread and wonder the same thing. I have explained in more detail the peculiarities of what I'm seeing here; http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=153294

OK - I have a transparent topo on top of my CN8 maps installed on my 60CSx. I can only see the topo lines (and some altitude markers) when zoomed out to at least .5 miles. Once I zoom in closer, all topo goes away.

What'd I do wrong?

I have the same question posted in another thread and wonder the same thing. I have explained in more detail the peculiarities of what I'm seeing here; http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=153294

I may have found my own problem. I was inspecting my test_pv.txt file and noticed that the Level0=20 and Level1=17 both had changed to 19 and 13 respectively. I have no idea when or how this would have happened but maybe once I correct these my topo lines will show up in a more normal/usable fashion.

What'd I do wrong?

I may have found my own problem. I was inspecting my test_pv.txt file and noticed that the Level0=20 and Level1=17 both had changed to 19 and 13 respectively. I have no idea when or how this would have happened but maybe once I correct these my topo lines will show up in a more normal/usable fashion.

Level1 isn't supposed to matter. But I'll try anything (especially things that can be done quickly).

What'd I do wrong?

Level1 isn't supposed to matter. But I'll try anything (especially things that can be done quickly).

Changing the Level values as stated in my above quote did not change the way the topo lines appeared, made no difference from what I could see. After further investigating, I noticed that my CINtopo.reg file had changed to the following as copied below; completely changing the path to the Garmin\\custom file. Again, I have no idea how or when this could have occured, especially since I have never had a file named "myMaps" something screwy seems to be going on with some downloads - changing registry settings. I do rememeber a few months ago reading some instructions that said to name the registry file myMaps but I never used those instructions and only used the ones posted in this thread.

THE BELLOW IS NOT CORRECT, DON'T GO BY!!!!!

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\CINtopo]

"LOC"="C:\\myMaps\\imgs\\"

"BMAP"="C:\\myMaps\\CINtopo.img"

"TDB"="C:\\myMaps\\CINtopo.tdb"

Anyone know what is going on with these changes? I didn't notice these problems on numerous Custom Maps using only Tracks and Waypoints in the past 3 months until I started the Custom Topo Maps today.

Follow Up to the above posts.

I edited the "CINtopo.reg" file to direct the path to "C:\\Garmin\\custom\\" for "LOC", "BMAP", and "TDB" as the instructions show and saved the file. Reran the DOS command prompt to create the 3 files. After doing so the "CINtopo.reg" file was automatically changed back to:

REGEDIT4

Can anyone tell me why it is automatically changing to this and is this the problem on viewing the topo contour lines in the more detailed zoom levels on the GPSr and in Mapsource? Thanks.

I edited the "CINtopo.reg" file to direct the path to "C:\\Garmin\\custom\\" for "LOC", "BMAP", and "TDB" as the instructions show and saved the file. Reran the DOS command prompt to create the 3 files. After doing so the "CINtopo.reg" file was automatically changed back to:

REGEDIT4

Can anyone tell me why it is automatically changing to this and is this the problem on viewing the topo contour lines in the more detailed zoom levels on the GPSr and in Mapsource? Thanks.

I can answer the automatic change. The file gets re-created every time you run cgsmapper. But the registry only gets changed when you use regedit to read the file.

I had been running cgsmapper via the "run" command rather than opening a "cmd" window. I tried the cmd window way (open cmd window, cd to garmin\custom, and execute cgsmapper in the local directory). No difference.

What'd I do wrong?

Well that sounds about like a problem I had. I found the solution buried somewhere back in this thread but will repeat here what I found I was doing wrong.

at this step....

4. click on the levels tab and hit the insert before tab do this until you have level0= through level5=

You MUST select the bottom line of the defalt list BEFORE you click the "insert before tab" the first time.

Hope this helps... let us know. It fixed my problem anyway!

REGEDIT4

It will always change to c:\\mymaps\\ as that is the default directory created when you run cgpsmapper pv ...directory names have no effect on how a map displays.

I have found using cypherman's Mapset Toolkit much easier to create the installation files and install maps into Mapsource.

Here's a Tutorial I made on using Mapset Toolkit.

Attach your contour map .mp file and your pv.mp file...I'd like to take a look at it and see if I can help you figure out why it's not displaying correctly.

Edited by rws

REGEDIT4

After you execute the "custom.reg" file the first time, there is no need to run it again unless you change the location of your map set. After you run "cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt" to add more .img files, just delete the "custom__________.reg" file that is created. You do need to replace the "Custom.tdb" and "Custom.img" file with the new ones, if you added more map segments.

Edited by Klatch

REGEDIT4

After you execute the "custom.reg" file the first time, there is no need to run it again unless you change the location of your map set. After you run "cgpsmapper pv test_pv.txt" to add more .img files, just delete the "custom__________.reg" file that is created. You do need to replace the "Custom.tdb" and "Custom.img" file with the new ones, if you added more map segments.

I too lost the topo but have not seen a change to the regestry. My problem turned out to be the GPSr screen color. I had the footage markers for the lines but no lines. When I restored defaules for the screen (color) I could see the topo lines again. I guess that the lines were there but because they were the same color as the screen they were invisible. In my case the solution was simple it just took a while to figure it out.

My problem turned out to be the GPSr screen color. I had the footage markers for the lines but no lines. When I restored defaules for the screen (color) I could see the topo lines again.

Are you speaking of the map screen? If so, what unit are you using and how do you change the color?

Edit: Or do you mean the day/night color scheme?

Edited by Klatch

What'd I do wrong?

Well that sounds about like a problem I had. I found the solution buried somewhere back in this thread but will repeat here what I found I was doing wrong.

at this step....

4. click on the levels tab and hit the insert before tab do this until you have level0= through level5=

You MUST select the bottom line of the defalt list BEFORE you click the "insert before tab" the first time.

Thanks Thomas D

This solved my problem. I the past, I always let the first line (Level0) highlight as the default when inserting the additional Levels when I was making Custom Maps using only Tracks and Waypoints and it didn't seem to matter. Boy!!!, does it ever matter with the Custom Topo Maps, it really causes some screwy things to happen when the Levels aren't in descending volume with regard to data. Thanks for your suggestion.

What'd I do wrong?

at this step....

Thanks Thomas D

This solved my problem. I the past, I always let the first line (Level0) highlight as the default when inserting the additional Levels when I was making Custom Maps using only Tracks and Waypoints and it didn't seem to matter. Boy!!!, does it ever matter with the Custom Topo Maps, it really causes some screwy things to happen when the Levels aren't in descending volume with regard to data. Thanks for your suggestion.

This fixed my problem also!

Note that I didn't see the text about clicking BEFORE in the instructions on the 1st or 2nd pages of this thread.

These maps are awesome!

Glad to hear that it was a simple fix. Maybe someone can go through this thread and edit the original directions to make it more clear for others correcting and changing things so it is easier. Also adding the alternate way of putting the maps into mapsource using the mapsettoolkit from cypherman I think would be a big help and make it way easier. Thanks again to cypherman for the hard work. I am a little swamped right now with a new house and a baby due within two weeks but hopefully someone can put this together. I would be glad to take a look at it. If not I will try to put something together within a month or so. Any questions keep asking them and I will try to help. Also I want to encourage to share your maps at http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ just in case we travel and need a map on the fly. :)

My problem turned out to be the GPSr screen color. I had the footage markers for the lines but no lines. When I restored defaules for the screen (color) I could see the topo lines again.

Are you speaking of the map screen? If so, what unit are you using and how do you change the color?

Edit: Or do you mean the day/night color scheme?

It's a Garnin gpsmap 76csx. and yes it's in the day-night map setup where the color scheme is changed (as I recall). So duh me, not liking the default, changed to colors that were the same as the topo lines and they hence became invisable. It freaked me out.

Maybe someone can go through this thread and edit the original directions to make it more clear for others correcting and changing things so it is easier.

I was thinking of doing this, actually. But was afraid of you guys being offended that I was just plaigarizing, and taking what you had worked so hard on. I will definately take on this task, but I'll need at least until the end of the weekend before I can get to it.

Congratulations on the impending new arrival, Bus! Is this your first?

Maybe someone can go through this thread and edit the original directions to make it more clear for others correcting and changing things so it is easier.

I was thinking of doing this, actually. But was afraid of you guys being offended that I was just plaigarizing, and taking what you had worked so hard on. I will definately take on this task, but I'll need at least until the end of the weekend before I can get to it.

Congratulations on the impending new arrival, Bus! Is this your first?

Isaiah 40:31

I've already made a few clarifications and corrected a couple of typos in Bus 36's Instructions on How To Make Custom Topo Maps. I have not used the method involving the "Mapset Tool Kit" so I haven't made any changes to the instructions pertaining to the Tool Kit. I've got the instructions just like Bus 36 did them in a Word file with my clarifications and a couple of typos corrected. I'll be glad to email you the file so you can improve on it and also add an amendment for the Step by Step Instructions for using the "Mapset Tool Kit" if you'd like. If you want to send me a personal message with your email address, I'll send it to you immediately.

I've already made a few clarifications and corrected a couple of typos in Bus 36's Instructions on How To Make Custom Topo Maps. I have not used the method involving the "Mapset Tool Kit" so I haven't made any changes to the instructions pertaining to the Tool Kit. I've got the instructions just like Bus 36 did them in a Word file with my clarifications and a couple of typos corrected. I'll be glad to email you the file so you can improve on it and also add an amendment for the Step by Step Instructions for using the "Mapset Tool Kit" if you'd like. If you want to send me a personal message with your email address, I'll send it to you immediately.

Any additional clarification is definately welcome! Thank you. Check for a PM!

Does anyone know why the lakes and ponds do not show up on my comuter in Mapsource when I view my Custom Topo Map with hydrography data. The streams and creeks show up just not the lakes and ponds. When I download the Custom Topo Map to my 60CSx the lakes and ponds show up just like they are supposed to so I know the lakes and ponds are in the .img file. I've checked all the zoom levels and played around with all the map detail settings in Mapsource and the lakes just won't appear on the computer, only. OS Windows XP Pro, SP 2. Mapsource v6.11.6.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong or settings that need to be changed?

Thank You.

Does anyone know why the lakes and ponds do not show up on my comuter in Mapsource when I view my Custom Topo Map with hydrography data. The streams and creeks show up just not the lakes and ponds. When I download the Custom Topo Map to my 60CSx the lakes and ponds show up just like they are supposed to so I know the lakes and ponds are in the .img file. I've checked all the zoom levels and played around with all the map detail settings in Mapsource and the lakes just won't appear on the computer, only. OS Windows XP Pro, SP 2. Mapsource v6.11.6.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong or settings that need to be changed?

Thank You.

hard to tell without looking at your .mp file

for any problems when making customs maps it would prolly be a good idea to attach .mp, pv and img files...would make it easier for others to help

hard to tell without looking at your .mp file

for any problems when making customs maps it would prolly be a good idea to attach .mp, pv and img files...would make it easier for others to help

Thanks rws

Since everything downloads to my GPSr correctly, it's doesn't bother me to much, even though it would be nice for them to show up on Mapsource correctly, also. I may attach the files latter if I don't determine the problem after playing around with it some more.

I got the same results/problem.

Anyone else?

lakes and ponds do not show up...

displays in Mapsource for me...

maplakesponds.jpg

Notice in Mapsource the "highest" at the top of the page. I too seemed to have lost data until I changed from "normal" to "higher" or "highest". Might give it a try.

This looks like a really comprehensive HowTo, I appreciate your taking the time to post it. But my dumb question of the day is ... is there something similar that will work for someone using a Mac and a Magellan?

As for the Mac I am not sure. As for the Magellan I believe there is some stuff out there. I remember seeing it somewhere but can't remember where nor do I know how to approach it. Sorry but search around a little and I think you will find something. Good luck.

This is great stuff, guys, appreciate all the work on this!

Question: can an old GPS like my low-and-slow GPSMap76 be used for downloading these custom maps? I realize that the size/qty of maps would be limited....is the serarate writable SD memory a requirement for this process to work?

As long as you use mapsource or sendmap to load the custom topos then your gpsmap76 will work. As far as I know any unit that you can load maps onto these custom topos will work for it. Let us know how it turns out.

Hi All,

I'm getting my first 60csx tomorrow, and want to make sure I'm on the right track. Say I downloaded 50 img files...I would put each file name in the test_pv.txt under the [Files] parameter. If some of the files overlapped the same area, which causes a lot of clutter, is it possible to create a separate CINtopo.img, called CINtopo2.img, with registry keys and whatnot pointed to it? Then I could put 25 img files in each, which would then be compiled, but have separate names in the map source window for better organization. Does this sound correct?

Also, how long does it take for the hydro data link to be emailed back to you? I've been waiting for over a day, and still only have an email that says "your data is being processed"

Thanks

ng does it take for the hydro data link to be emailed back to you? I've been waiting for over a day, and still only have an email that says "your data is being processed"

Thanks

I got three so far... all easily within an hour but they were not large areas.

I think I would resubmit...

ng does it take for the hydro data link to be emailed back to you? I've been waiting for over a day, and still only have an email that says "your data is being processed"

Thanks

When I made my first maps about 2 weeks ago, the only mail I got was the mail saying the data was ready (I think). Last night I got the "data being processed email" and now almost 9 hours later I have not recieved the data.

Has anyone recieved 2 emails per map versus just the one with the link-to-download?

Thanks

When I made my first maps about 2 weeks ago, the only mail I got was the mail saying the data was ready (I think). Last night I got the "data being processed email" and now almost 9 hours later I have not recieved the data.

Has anyone recieved 2 emails per map versus just the one with the link-to-download?

Yes. Last week or so it took me two days to even get on the site. They must have been having trouble. After selecting the areas that I wanted and leaving email address I got confirmation of the "request" then a day or two later I got the link to download. I might also add that the area being selected may involve more than one drainage "basin" and hence you may even get more than one link to download. This is why in the next step you "trim" out what is not needed for the selected area of topo. These are not hard facts just conclusions that I've made while going through the process and making more than my share of mistakes.

My hydro link was finally emailed to me 2 days after I submitted for it, so it looks like they are a little behind. For another question, when downloading a big area of geoTiffs, it seperates the files into those 50 meg file sizes. I assume I have to import the water data for every geoTiff file and trim the outside....is this correct? It would kind of be a pain to do that for every one. Is there a drawback to using file sizes bigger than 50 megs? Or does it just take longer to turn the geoTiff into mp's? In the end I think it would be faster to work with one 250 meg file than five 50 meg files, which you have to go into everyone and trim out the huge hydro

Not necesary to download multiple hydro files. These files contain large regions and will probably cover most or if not all of your seperate 50 mgb files. Also, using gpsmapedit you can add and paste the other 50 mgb files into your main file. A good practice is to be consistant. For example my topo files created are either the size of 24k or 100k depending on which maps I want to upgrade and add information to.

Also, you can crop your files to specific sizes.

Edited by GeoidPS

Ahhhh, I figured it out...I didn't realize you could go to file>add in gpsmapedit to import more files. I thought you would have to load each mp file separately then import the huge water data shape file, and trim off the edges around, thus having to do it multiple times. The instructions are not very good at telling you how to handle multiple files.

:drama::blink::P YOU GUYS ROCK ;):P:P

Sorry for shoutin' but, this really worked... Not a doubting Thomas - just my usual (in)-ability to follow directions.

I'm now just waiting for the hydo data ready to emailed to me. The confirmation got here already.

I tredged on without it for now and I see a (sparse) NE Indiana topo on the eTrex Legend C.

I'm jazzed.

Cool, Cool, Cool.

A hearty handshake and a pat on the back.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

(Bows Down in awe...)

GoPhast

Howdy all.... I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am learning to build maps on my friends computer since he has the software, and at the present time the export from GPSMapEdit to cGSMapper is taking a long time (so far 45 minutes). I did down load a HUGH area of water but a small body of land. Considering that fact I cannot tell how much data I have total, I would appreciate hearing what kind of time frames others are seeing for completion at this step when building big maps.

Thanks,

Dan

(This computer has a 3.2 CPU and 2GB of ram)