Making Custom TOPO Maps

Bus36

Howdy all.... I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am learning to build maps on my friends computer since he has the software, and at the present time the export from GPSMapEdit to cGSMapper is taking a long time (so far 45 minutes). I did down load a HUGH area of water but a small body of land. Considering that fact I cannot tell how much data I have total, I would appreciate hearing what kind of time frames others are seeing for completion at this step when building big maps.

(This computer has a 3.2 CPU and 2GB of ram)

My topo map area covered an area of about 4 square miles and the hydrography data covered an area of about 25 square miles, before trimming down to the same size as the topo area. This map tooks right at 2 minutes to compile and I'm only running a 1.2 GHz CPU and 512 Mb RAM. Just a reminder, it works best to keep the file size under 50 mb. One other thing you might want to consider is to make multiple maps, depending on how big an area you mean by "HUGH".

I am pretty new at this but have decided to take the plunge and see if I could make some custom TOPO's of the Chattanooga area. I got all the way to putting the map from USGS into my files. When I went to open and run IDL VM, it stated "I have the wrong processor type". I purchased my DELL Inspiron 600m in 2003. I haven't been able to do the Google Space Maps, where they zoom down, because of the same problem I think. Since I am becoming more interested in mapping, because of my new GPS 60CSx, I would like to upgrade. I would like to get inside and do it myself. Do you have any suggestions? Wouldn't mind increasing from my 40G hard drive also. Thanks for any info you could provide.:::REX

I have to say a big hearty Thank you to all who have worked on this step by step process.

I know I am very close to having a complete custom map of the Riverside State Park area of Spokane, Washington, but it isn't quite working. I have been trying for about a week now. I have followed the directions over and over and checked to make sure I haven't missed something and yet somehow I must be missing something. I get all the way to the point where I have altered the regsitry and everything should work, and then I get an error when I try to open Mapsource. It wants me to copy the following log file and send it to Garmin.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going wrong? I do have the Mapsource US Topo already installed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<ErrorReport xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ApplicationErrors/v1">

<Error>

<Exception>

<SourceCodeLocation>

<SourceFileName>TDB_PRODUCTDIR.CPP</SourceFileName>

<SourceFileLine>176</SourceFileLine>

</SourceCodeLocation>

<StackTrace>

<ReturnAddress>2086255745</ReturnAddress>

<ReturnAddress>9116352</ReturnAddress>

<ReturnAddress>5594389</ReturnAddress>

<ReturnAddress>4221356</ReturnAddress>

<ReturnAddress>5649420</ReturnAddress>

<ReturnAddress>9601158</ReturnAddress>

<ReturnAddress>2086242725</ReturnAddress>

</StackTrace>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

<VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>

<VersionMinor>11</VersionMinor>

<BuildMajor>6</BuildMajor>

<BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Time>Nov 3 2006, 12:19:11</Time>

<Builder>SQA</Builder>

</Build>

<LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>

<PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>

</Application>

<Computer>

<OperatingSystem>Windows 2000 Service Pack 4</OperatingSystem>

<Processor>Pentium Pro or Pentium II</Processor>

<RamSize>1048048</RamSize>

</Computer>

<Time>2007-02-05T19:13:18Z</Time>

</Error>

</ErrorReport>

The Reg file is

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\RSPTopo]

"LOC"="E:\\GarminMaps\\Custom\\"

"BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\RSPTopo.img"

"TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\RSPTopo.tdb"

I can provide any other data or files I have if someone has the time or notion to get me back on the correct path. I have not found any other custom maps for the Spokane area so I plan to share any I create with anyone who would like them. Thank you in advance.

Coyot21

The Reg file is

REGEDIT4

I'm replying from work - from memory - so I may be way off base....but:

1) I've never seen (or tried) to have the LOC location be different from the other 2 - so you might want to try making it:

"LOC"="C:\\Garmin\\RSPTopo\\"

"BMAP"="C:\\Garmin\\RSPTopo\\RSPTopo.img"

"TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\RSPTopo\\RSPTopo.tdb"

And of course making sure the files are actually there.

2) I always seen numerical product codes used - not names, so you could try:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\1234]

where the number 1234 is unique (from the other products installed)

Hope this helps,

If I understand correctly you have you map complete but need to load it into Mapscource?

If so try this solution, it's really slick and may solve your problem.

"MapSetToolKit"

google it...

Hello Thomas. Thank you for your suggestion. I have previously downloaded MapSetToolKit to my Desktop so all I had to do was open it. I am really new to all this and pulled out my save CGMap of Chattanooga but when I tried to load it, it states"cannot read directory". Like I said I am pretty new at all this and have not a clue as to what to do next. I see no directions for the MapSetToolKit so I am stuck. Would like to learn how to do all this. Thanks for the suggestion.:::REX

Ok I tried those suggestions and no joy.

The reason I had them at differen locations was because I have the US Topo saved on one of my hard drives rather than messing with the CD's. It seems to work pretty well, but now I have the current problem. I tried moving them all to the same location but I still get the same error notice from Mapsource. I am using the following as my Test_pv.txt file. Does this help?

Thank you,

Coyot21

;Sample file accepted by cGPSmap to create new map data-set

;

;In order to create new TDB and preview map file run cGPSmap :

;cGPSmap pv test_pr.txt

;

;

;FileName = file name for new IMG and TDB files, no more than 8 characters

; must be without extension!

;

;MapVersion = map version, must be between 100 and 999

;

;

;

;ProductCode = unique product ID, each GARMIN product has its ID number

; I suggest to use values above 40, but I cannot guarantee that

; those values are not used!

; You can check products id in windows registry under path:

; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Garmin\MapSource\Products

;

; WARNING - FOR ROUTABLE MAPS THIS KEY HAS A DIFFERENT MEANING!

;

;

;FID

;

;ID

;

;Color

;

;

;

;

;

;MapSetName = map name in GPS

;

;Copy1,Copy2 = copyrights info

;

;MapsourceName = map name in MapSource programm

;

;CDSetName = CD set name - visible in MapSource menu

;

;

;After you create new MapSet, you can install it into MapSource adding new entry into

;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Garmin\MapSource\Products

;with your product ID

;then create 3 strings:

;

;Loc path to your IMG files

;Bmap file name with full path to the preview IMG created by cGPSmap

;Tdb file name with full path to the TDB file created by cGPSmap

[Map]

FileName=35622763

MapVersion=100

ProductCode=62

Color=32

Levels=2

Level0=14

Level1=13

;Levels control the preview display, Level0 should match the BIT value for the

;last (empty) level set in MapEdit, Level1 seems good if set lower by one.

Zoom0=5

Zoom1=6

MapsourceName=RSPTopo

MapSetName=RSPTopo

CDSetName=RSPTopo

Copy1=Garmin

Copy2=Stan

[End-Map]

;

;IMG files to be included in new map-set

;!!REMEMBER to fix the path to IMG file!!

;

[Files]

img=35622763.img

[END-Files]

I have to say a big hearty Thank you to all who have worked on this step by step process.

I know I am very close to having a complete custom map of the Riverside State Park area of Spokane, Washington, but it isn't quite working. I have been trying for about a week now. I have followed the directions over and over and checked to make sure I haven't missed something and yet somehow I must be missing something. I get all the way to the point where I have altered the regsitry and everything should work, and then I get an error when I try to open Mapsource. It wants me to copy the following log file and send it to Garmin.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going wrong? I do have the Mapsource US Topo already installed.

<Error>

<Exception>

<SourceCodeLocation>

</SourceCodeLocation>

<StackTrace>

</StackTrace>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Builder>SQA</Builder>

</Build>

</Application>

<Computer>

</Computer>

</Error>

</ErrorReport>

The Reg file is

REGEDIT4

I can provide any other data or files I have if someone has the time or notion to get me back on the correct path. I have not found any other custom maps for the Spokane area so I plan to share any I create with anyone who would like them. Thank you in advance.

Coyot21

Coyot21

Sounds like you've pretty much done your homework on working with custom maps and looked at a lot of the info. on here. We'll get your map working. First suggestion: Download Sendmap if you haven't already and use it without going through Mapsource to upload it to your GPSr. Sendmap is very easy to follow, practically self explanatory. Use it to upload just your custom map only to see if the problem is with your custom map or with the path to your map getting it to Mapsource and let me know what you find and we'll go from there. The fact that your U.S. Topo Maps are on a different hard drive shouldn't make a difference as long as Mapsource is on the hard drive you are using for your custom map. Will send updatd Custom Topo Map Instructions (some steps clarified better) to you in a Word file if you want to PM me your email address.

<Error>

<Exception>

<SourceCodeLocation>

</SourceCodeLocation>

<StackTrace>

</StackTrace>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Builder>SQA</Builder>

</Build>

</Application>

<Computer>

</Computer>

</Error>

</ErrorReport>

The Reg file is

REGEDIT4

Coyot21

Thank you. I will PM you as well. Because I kept seeing suggestions to try "Mapset Toolkit," I did. Once I figured out what data to enter where, I was able to run it and it did create the .img, .reg, and .tdb files. It also added the entry to the registry. I did not get the error from mapsource but when I opened up the map in mapsource all I got was an empty box with 3 dots and text stating that the "Map created with http://www.cgpsmapper.com."

I will send the PM a little later I think I need a break and am going to go to work for a few hours today. :laughing:

Thanks for your help.

Coyot21

coyot21

Zoom in your maps. Your zoom can be very high. Or send me your img file. I will test your maps.

cypherman1 at gmail (dot) com

Cypherman

Thank you. I will PM you as well. Because I kept seeing suggestions to try "Mapset Toolkit," I did. Once I figured out what data to enter where, I was able to run it and it did create the .img, .reg, and .tdb files. It also added the entry to the registry. I did not get the error from mapsource but when I opened up the map in mapsource all I got was an empty box with 3 dots and text stating that the "Map created with http://www.cgpsmapper.com."

I will send the PM a little later I think I need a break and am going to go to work for a few hours today. :laughing:

Thanks for your help.

Coyot21

Edited by cypherman

Thanks for your help.

Coyot21

If you are seeing an empty box then I think you have it. Set your detail setting to the highest and just zoom in. That will probably do it. If not cypherman is an expert and will solve it quickly.

Ok... That did it. Thank you. I knew I had to be close, but I was missing something. Thank you both for that last push. :unsure:

Now, in GPS Mapedit, the river that goes through the area seems to be the appropriate width. How do I make the one in mapsource show the same way? Currently it is showing as just a line.

Thanks again,

Coyot21

Ok... That did it. Thank you. I knew I had to be close, but I was missing something. Thank you both for that last push. :unsure:

Now, in GPS Mapedit, the river that goes through the area seems to be the appropriate width. How do I make the one in mapsource show the same way? Currently it is showing as just a line.

Thanks again,

Coyot21

I too noticed that appearances in Mapedit, Mapsource and the GPS are all different, be it for symbols, colors for area, lines etc... There are tons of attributes but once on the GPS, you can't see any difference between many of them.

Seems it will still take some time before we can get topo on the GPS as detailed and colorfull as on paper !

Thanks again,

Coyot21

Sounds like a similar problem me and a couple others had with water data. We were using a non valid color /type (unknown blue) per the origional instructions. Changing the type to a valid one fixed the problem.

See this thread...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=155046&hl=

Thanks for the great instructions on how to make custom maps. I've been using the instructions to make maps for my Garmin Vista HCx, but I'm running into some difficulties. When I load the a newly made map into my GPSr, the unit will randomly freeze if left on for an extended period of time. This makes using the tracking features useless. The freezing does not occur when using Topo 2008, so I'm guessing it is a result of some bad data in the custom maps. Has anyone else had this problem? Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure at what point in the process the corrupt data may be created. Any help would be great.

Thanks again!

Ok... So I'm sure this ins't totally the right place for this, but the best place I could find. I've been trying to register with rsinc.com for a couple days on different PCs to download the IDL VM. I can fill in every blank on the page and it still tells me I'm missing a required field.

Does someone have a direct link to download the IDL VM, or know of another mirror somewhere (other than ittvis.com)? Or do I have to call the companys sales group to get this?

I've got nearly a gig of GeoTiffs downloaded than I can't find another way to convert them to something usable either.

-MadManX of Team XtroTech

I have asked this before, but all the help I've had have been links to this thread but this thread hasn't really helped me so I'll ask here.

When I had my Magellan Triton, I had a software called TritonRMP which was used to convert a jpg/bmp/gif/etc image as a map for Triton. I just needed a map.bmp and coordinates for some reference points and the software made a Triton compatible map of it. Is there anything like that for the Garmin Colorado?

I visited mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com and found some maps from Finland, but they weren't even as good as those I have in my GPS at the moment. I have downloaded maps from www.retkikartta.fi (The map can be used without any finn skills) in 1:15000 accuracy and would like to use those as I did with the Magellan Triton. I find those even better than the best $$$ maps available in the shops.

I know I'll propaby miss some functions the real maps can offer, but I really need only to see where I am and where I am going.

So, any way to do this?

That seems to be about it. Now only the problem that the maps I've 'downloaded' from the service mentioned above, are .png+.map, and the only software I've found to convert it (Google Mapwell doesn't load .map) to a .mp file is GpsMapEdit and it costs about half of the commercial maps :-)