New Reservoir to be Built.

Just saw THIS on the BBC News site and it looks like a large amount of land will be dug out/drowned. Was wondering how many caches will be affected when this gets the go ahead.

Thames Water plan to build the reservoir on land between Wantage and Abingdon.

That may well turn out to be in the same category as another London Airport... Talked about for years, numerous protests by the environmentalists and local home owners, cost billions and never, ever see the light of day!!

This has been under the auspices of a planning committee since at least 1990 - I remember getting the outline details, questionnaires and glossy presentation through the post when I was living on the what will one day be the eastern shore of this reservoir.

Remember to change the difficulty rating to a 5 if you leave any caches in situ :)

Its not exactly a bolt out of the blue - its been talked about for years.

There's at least one cache that'll end up under it, and the description mentions it. Drayton Lock

What are they going to do with all the earth excavated - It's not as though they'll be flooding a valley.

As I remember, the reservoir will be banked a'la the queen mum reservoir up Heathrow way. The area itself was chosen as it is a natural flood plain and so requires very little excavation.

Of course plans change so some, if not all, of the above may be rubbish :)

What are they going to do with all the earth excavated - It's not as though they'll be flooding a valley.

How about a nice big hill over Berkhamstead :):)

Speaking of Berkhamsted, it did take them 60 years to get round to building the bypass (AKA A41) so the long planning phase does not mean that they wont do it.

Looking at the map, I think there will be some caches implicated in the flooding. Still, I like underwater caches... I too am not entirely convinced that they can flood a flat area effectively. I stick with my idea to flood the Vale of Aylesbury to create a nice inland lake. They could put the M40 on a funky causeway (a la Florida Keys) and just think of the house price rises in Wendover sur Mer!

ps. I reckon that Pharisee fancies me, you know! :blink::D

Speaking of Berkhamsted, it did take them 60 years to get round to building the bypass (AKA A41) so the long planning phase does not mean that they wont do it.

I thought Berkhamstead was posh! now you have shattered that illusion, as I find it is just down the road from Birkenhead

Edited by Moote

Just saw THIS on the BBC News site and it looks like a large amount of land will be dug out/drowned. Was wondering how many caches will be affected when this gets the go ahead.

Thames Water plan to build the reservoir on land between Wantage and Abingdon.

Hopefully lots of multi & puzzle caches will be affected :D:D:)