Big Cat Series Geocoin Set

Prowler53

There are really only four true Big Cats, all of the genus Panthera. They are:

Tiger

Lion

Jaguar

Leopard

These are the roaring cats. No other cats can roar, only purr. (A Serval is a Lynx, and medium sized at best, but it does have big ears. However, if you ever pet one, don't expect it to purr too much.)

"Black Panther" is a nickname for a leopard, jaguar, or puma that happens to be black, and "Panther" itself is just a nickname for those three kinds of cats. The nickname obviously comes from the genus name, except the Puma, which is not a member of Panthera at all.

Oh, don't be so technical! :laughing::huh:

You make good points, but maybe we can bend the "rules" a little. By the way, I've never heard of a puma that was called a "black panther". Certainly not Out West, where every puma concolor I've ever seen or heard of is tan-colored, with darker streaks. As far as my research can find (not conclusive, by any means, but both my wife and our youngest daughter are zoology people, and they have taught me a lot about how to search this "green" :huh: stuff), the melanistic gene that produces black hair is not found in any population of puma. There are quite a number of subspecies of puma concolor, most of which are very similar genetically. But none of them are black. And I still think that we should have a Western Hemisphere cat, a large one, in the series. But that's just my opinion :P So a jaguar should be the fourth coin, then.

My 2 cents...

You have to have a lion (king of the beasts and all)

One striped cat (white or Bengal tiger)

One spotted cat (leopard, jaguar or cheetah)

One solid color cat (mountain lion or "panther")

Using one cat from each category would make each significantly (noticably) different...since they each have different markings.

OK... :laughing: I changed my mind!! :P

I now second DD's idea above ^^^ :huh:

Makes the most sense to me. :P

D-man :huh:

My 2 cents...

You have to have a lion (king of the beasts and all)

One striped cat (white or Bengal tiger)

One spotted cat (leopard, jaguar or cheetah)

One solid color cat (mountain lion or "panther")

Using one cat from each category would make each significantly (noticably) different...since they each have different markings.

well I guess I'll sit at the computer and do a few more graphics and post them. Then we can pick which ones look best together :laughing:

I like all of your ideas

A Puma (aka cougar aka panther aka etc.) while technically not a Big Cat is still a big cat, so don't feel limited by my definition! A cougar coin would be neat.

You are correct that the White Tiger is a mutated version of the Bengal Tiger.

Ok....I'm down to these 3 for sure

African Lion - This one must stay. This covers Africa

Bengal Tiger- This one must stay because I like them :laughing: This covers Asia/India

Puma/Mountain Lion/Cougar/Panther - We call them Mountain Lions here in Eastern USA but they are found mostly In western USA and are known as Puma.

Not sure yet what name I should use on the coin?

The fourth would be one of these:

Leopard - Found mostly in africa, southwestern asia & china

Jaguar - Found mostly in South America and very small areas of North America

Cheetah - Found mostly in Africa

A Puma (aka cougar aka panther aka etc.) while technically not a Big Cat is still a big cat, so don't feel limited by my definition! A cougar coin would be neat.

Bengal Tiger- This one must stay because I like them :) This covers Asia/India

Puma/Mountain Lion/Cougar/Panther - We call them Mountain Lions here in Eastern USA but they are found mostly In western USA and are known as Puma.

In Utah we usually call them mountain lions.... ;)

I guess my vote would be Mountain Lion also since that's What we call them here.

I guess my vote would be Mountain Lion also since that's What we call them here.

According to a guy I know that actually owns one, we call them mountain lions here in Indiana. Although from a report I wrote about them in grade school, Cougar, Catamount, Panther, Puma, Mountain lion are all acceptable.

:) But I'd also be happy with a jaguar, another from the Western Hemisphere. I see Asia and Africa represented, so I think that a fourth cat coin should be from the Americas.

I like this Idea also because I think an American Big Cat deserves to be in the set.

Ok.....I dropped the "white tiger" and added the Jaguar and Mountain Lion. The graphic below shows the 4 coin set in 2d color rather than 3d cat graphic with no color as I shown previously. I think I like the idea of having the cats in color. I also added the signature pawprint on the rear of the coin. I submitted these graphics to a few places for price quotes and to make any needed changes if needed to make it better.

I'm figuring on offering 2 sets of metals:

1st set would be Silver, Nickel, Copper, Gold

2nd set would be Antique Silver, Antique Nickel, Antique Copper, Antique Gold.

Should I also have a limited Edition set that has all 4 cat coins in the same metal? Maybe 2-tone?

What do you think of the changes so far?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/prowler53/4coinset.jpg' alt='4coinset.jpg'>

:) But I'd also be happy with a jaguar, another from the Western Hemisphere. I see Asia and Africa represented, so I think that a fourth cat coin should be from the Americas.

I like this Idea also because I think an American Big Cat deserves to be in the set.

Ok.....I dropped the "white tiger" and added the Jaguar and Mountain Lion. The graphic below shows the 4 coin set in 2d color rather than 3d cat graphic with no color as I shown previously. I think I like the idea of having the cats in color. I also added the signature pawprint on the rear of the coin. I submitted these graphics to a few places for price quotes and to make any needed changes if needed to make it better.

I'm figuring on offering 2 sets of metals:

1st set would be Silver, Nickel, Copper, Gold

2nd set would be Antique Silver, Antique Nickel, Antique Copper, Antique Gold.

Should I also have a limited Edition set that has all 4 cat coins in the same metal? Maybe 2-tone?

What do you think of the changes so far?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/prowler53/4coinset.jpg' alt='4coinset.jpg'>

Wow, I can't wait to place my order!

Well.....I'm told that if I did the 2d graphic in color it would not turn out that well because of the detail. I guess I'll wait and see how things go before I decide on 2d or 3d without the color. Photo inlay would work out nice like my panther paw coin but it's kind of expensive. I'm working on getting quotes as we speek and I'll see what others come up with :)

Well.....I'm told that if I did the 2d graphic in color it would not turn out that well because of the detail. I guess I'll wait and see how things go before I decide on 2d or 3d without the color. Photo inlay would work out nice like my panther paw coin but it's kind of expensive. I'm working on getting quotes as we speek and I'll see what others come up with :)

I would vote against the photo inlay on these, if I had a vote :) Line drawings could be very attractive; check out the Alaska coins and others like it as examples. If color just won't work, then drawings (which would be etchings on the coins) could be the way to go. I really like the basic idea of this set, and I think you have a great foursome of subjects.

BTW: got my Prowlers today: very nice! :D

Well.....I'm told that if I did the 2d graphic in color it would not turn out that well because of the detail. I guess I'll wait and see how things go before I decide on 2d or 3d without the color. Photo inlay would work out nice like my panther paw coin but it's kind of expensive. I'm working on getting quotes as we speek and I'll see what others come up with :unsure:

I would vote against the photo inlay on these, if I had a vote :) Line drawings could be very attractive; check out the Alaska coins and others like it as examples. If color just won't work, then drawings (which would be etchings on the coins) could be the way to go. I really like the basic idea of this set, and I think you have a great foursome of subjects.

BTW: got my Prowlers today: very nice! :)

Thanks Chaosmanor....I'm glad you liked it. I think they turned out really well and I'm really happy with them. I just wish I had more made :D

Well.....I'm told that if I did the 2d graphic in color it would not turn out that well because of the detail. I guess I'll wait and see how things go before I decide on 2d or 3d without the color. Photo inlay would work out nice like my panther paw coin but it's kind of expensive. I'm working on getting quotes as we speek and I'll see what others come up with <_<

I have no idea how much it cost, but check out Lakersfan559's California 2006 coin for 2d color graphics. Very, nicely detailed color paintings :huh:

I also really like GeocacheAlaska's 2006 coin's 3d relief of a wolf. No colors but finely detailed paintings and drawings.

Whatever you decide, please count me in for at least one set!

<_<

Well.....I'm told that if I did the 2d graphic in color it would not turn out that well because of the detail. I guess I'll wait and see how things go before I decide on 2d or 3d without the color. Photo inlay would work out nice like my panther paw coin but it's kind of expensive. I'm working on getting quotes as we speek and I'll see what others come up with <_<

I have no idea how much it cost, but check out Lakersfan559's California 2006 coin for 2d color graphics. Very, nicely detailed color paintings <_<

I also really like GeocacheAlaska's 2006 coin's 3d relief of a wolf. No colors but finely detailed paintings and drawings.

Whatever you decide, please count me in for at least one set!

:huh:

I checked out Lakersfan559's coin and I actually had something like that in mind. I'm waiting on price quotes on several different types of coins. Of coarse price is going to be a big factor because a 4 coin set could get pretty costly, and I want to make this affordable for everyone. I spend alot of time on the computer doing the graphics and when I'm finished I would like the coin to look as close to the graphic as possible. If I could get a nice colored graphic that looks very close to the graphic I did without making it look too much like a cartoon it would be awesome. I was able to do my panther paw coin in that manner and I think it turned out really nice. I'm getting lot's of good feedback from folks who received the coins.

I will probably post the cost of these sets sometime next week when I get the rest of the quotes back.

Thanks Chaosmanor....I'm glad you liked it. I think they turned out really well and I'm really happy with them. I just wish I had more made :o

Have yet to get my Panther coins, Then again my mail is always slow to arrive. When I recieve my coins we can always trade :):) I'll hep you get one back :D

On the Cat series I also have to vote no on the full photo inlay. The finest of detail can be done 3D. The 2006 Alaska coins have to agree have wonderfull detail that bring them to life and have outstanding features. I will post some photos of them soon on my photo thread. Still count me in on these love nature themed coins and the Cats are beautiful renderings . Glenn

Thanks Chaosmanor....I'm glad you liked it. I think they turned out really well and I'm really happy with them. I just wish I had more made :o

Have yet to get my Panther coins, Then again my mail is always slow to arrive. When I recieve my coins we can always trade :):) I'll hep you get one back :D

On the Cat series I also have to vote no on the full photo inlay. The finest of detail can be done 3D. The 2006 Alaska coins have to agree have wonderfull detail that bring them to life and have outstanding features. I will post some photos of them soon on my photo thread. Still count me in on these love nature themed coins and the Cats are beautiful renderings . Glenn

Glenn........The USPS is funny. I sent each and every order out all together on the same day (monday) afternoon around 1:30pm here in Pennsylvania. On wed I received notice that one of my coins arrived to a buyer in Michigan. There were some Pennsylvania buyers who did not get their coins till Yesterday.......go figure ??????

Glenn........The USPS is funny. I sent each and every order out all together on the same day (monday) afternoon around 1:30pm here in Pennsylvania. On wed I received notice that one of my coins arrived to a buyer in Michigan. There were some Pennsylvania buyers who did not get their coins till Yesterday.......go figure ??????

I'm not saying its your fault at all LOL,,My mail is slower then anything !! I waited on a coin from Georgia 1 state away it took 13 days to get here :) , then one from Englad arrived in 4 days so indeed go figure :o:) , No hurry no worrie,,Glenn

Edited by glennk721

I'm not saying its your fault at all LOL,,My mail is slower then anything !! I waited on a coin from Georgia 1 state away it took 13 days to get here :) , then one from Englad arrived in 4 days so indeed go figure :o:) , No hurry no worrie,,Glenn

You should have panther tracks at your mailbox monday..........ummm maybe tuesday????? lol

Why not continue with the paw print shape that you started with on "Prowler"? That is one of the main reasons that I bought that coin. I absolutely loved the shape and the way it was made with the pic and all. I think you need to have your next four coins made just like "Prowler", with the face of the animal looking at you so realistically!! Make the paw prints match the animals. I pesonally don't care for the ideas that you have at the moment, but that's just one opinion. You put out an awesome product before, and it went VERY well, so do it again!!! (I'm still waiting on my "Prowler", but maybe they will be here Monday!)

Why not continue with the paw print shape that you started with on "Prowler"? That is one of the main reasons that I bought that coin. I absolutely loved the shape and the way it was made with the pic and all. I think you need to have your next four coins made just like "Prowler", with the face of the animal looking at you so realistically!! Make the paw prints match the animals. I pesonally don't care for the ideas that you have at the moment, but that's just one opinion. You put out an awesome product before, and it went VERY well, so do it again!!! (I'm still waiting on my "Prowler", but maybe they will be here Monday!)

Good Idea.....I'll have to think about that one :laughing:

Are your new coins going to be paw-print shaped???????? I got my Prowlers in and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE them!!! Everybody that I have shown them to has begged for one. I would love to see what the other cats would look like done that way!!!!!! :laughing:

I'm glad you like the coin :laughing: However this set will not be paw shaped. I am thinking about doing another metal in the prowling panther coin in the near future.

I like them the way they are, looks great. I'd like a set.

Thanks.....I think they will look really nice in 3D. I'll be taking reservations in a few days and should have a firm price for everyone. So far I have about 71 sets reserved for people requesting them.

I'll most likely take everyones reservations untill the coin orders are filled before I start sending invoices out.

Surprised you are using a black panther for the icon...since there is no black panther coin...but maybe that's why you are using it.

Actually I was just thinking that the panther Icon would be a good one to use with the panther paw coins when I do another metal. hmmmmmm........gotta think about this one.

Maybe since the Lion is king of the cats I should use that?? Suggestions anyone :laughing:

I enjoyed doing my panther coin so much I decided to get an early start on my 2007 coins.

There are only 150 of my panther coins being produced and I'm expecting arrival on those any day.

I'm still getting lot's of requests for coins but unfortunatly they were sold out.

I decided to come up with another coin for those who missed my panther coin, or anyone else who would be interested. This will be my personal coin for 2007 but it's gonna be a little early...lol.

Pre sales will begin as soon as I receive my price quotes, so keep checking back here in the forums.

FullSet.jpg

I would like to order 1 of each that are left. Thanks much. Windkissed

thanks to a trade with the Moop along I have an awesome panther coin to add to the metallic wildlife - but no activation instructions.

Also anyone who is interested in the stripes and spots- computer types can find similations of the chemical reactions that create the phenomenon online. It's a fascinating application of chaos theory.

thanks to a trade with the Moop along I have an awesome panther coin to add to the metallic wildlife - but no activation instructions.

Also anyone who is interested in the stripes and spots- computer types can find similations of the chemical reactions that create the phenomenon online. It's a fascinating application of chaos theory.

you can activate your prowling panther geocoin at geocoinclub