Problems sending mail

Katydid & Miles Stone

More often than not I get the following error whenever I attempt to send mail to another cacher via geocaching.com. Any suggestions?

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Data.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Bad Data.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[CryptographicException: Bad Data.

]

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoAPITransform._DecryptData(IntPtr hKey, Byte[] rgb, Int32 ib, Int32 cb, Boolean fDone) +0

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoAPITransform.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) +805

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.FlushFinalBlock() +40

dotNetFreak.WebControls.FormShield.Decrypt(String encryptedString) +355

dotNetFreak.WebControls.FormShield.get_Text() +192

[TargetInvocationException: Property accessor 'Text' on object 'dotNetFreak.WebControls.FormShield' threw the following exception:'Bad Data.

']

System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue(Object component) +423

System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.GetControlValidationValue(String name) +56

System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompareValidator.EvaluateIsValid() +20

System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.Validate() +138

System.Web.UI.Page.Validate() +235

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +35

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1330

I'm having a different issue: not getting any mail from geocaching.com.

My account page says account must be verified, but I don't received the verification code.

No junk filters in the way, and my account has been active for about a year.

Mail sent from other sites to the same address work ok.

Additional info:

This only occurs when I set my email address to an account in my personal domain (dinobalz.com). Works OK if I set it to an address in another domain.

Email to that domain may have bounced a while some time ago. Will a certain number of bounced messages cause the mail server to not send mail to that entire domain anymore??

Edited by dinobalz

Heh. What's the use of Cryptography if you display the code for all to see?

(It's being caused by the new "captcha"s - the images with text that you have to read to prove you're not a computer)

Interestingly enough, they're supposed to be disabled for premium members.

Edited by alexrudd

Still getting this message when I attempt to email from geocaching.com:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Data.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Bad Data.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

]

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoAPITransform._DecryptData(IntPtr hKey, Byte[] rgb, Int32 ib, Int32 cb, Boolean fDone) +0

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoAPITransform.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) +805

dotNetFreak.WebControls.FormShield.get_Text() +193

[TargetInvocationException: Property accessor 'Text' on object 'dotNetFreak.WebControls.FormShield' threw the following exception:'Bad Data.

']

System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.GetControlValidationValue(String name) +56

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +36

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1281

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

This is still a problem, any feedback yet?

Bad Data.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

]

']

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +36

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

I sent two emails via the siite. The first one went through; the second gave me the familiar server error screen seen below. It seem GeoBlank, suz55tbird, The Haywood Hornetand and I are the only ones having this issue. Is this the correct place to ask for help? Please advise.

Bad Data.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

]

dotNetFreak.WebControls.FormShield.Decrypt(String encryptedString) +356

']

System.Web.UI.Page.Validate() +234

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1319

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

I just successfully sent you an email as a "test" and then when I tried to send you a PM about this, it wouldn't go through. :blink:

The error message said:

There is no such member - please check the name entered and try again.

This personal message has not been sent

:tired:

It took me three tries before my email via a gc profile went through :laughing: I kept getting the same error message as described above in this thread.

After retyping several messages, I've learned to copy my message before attempting to send it.

Has anyone figured out what is going on??

I had it happen to me yesterday and clicking the back arrow and trying to send again didn't work. I had to copy the text and then go back to the persons profile again and start over from there. Since there doesn't seem to be a pattern, it doesn't happen all the time or to just certain accounts, it is going to be a tough problem to track down.

and I thought it was my switch to firefox browser and a few scripts I installed, that was the problem. Over the holiday (into Tuesday) it was busy here, with everyone logging their weekend finds from the road.

Lately, I have to click a button a few times to get there. I generally find that if I walk away for a while the problem seems to disappear.

Being a programmer (until a couple years ago), I often wonder what they are running. How they handle all the records. When do they run backups...

Edited by CraigInCT

What helps is understanding that not all problems have the same priority. Some get fixed right away and some have to wait. This may be a case of one the has to wait a while because there are more important things going on. The "squeaky wheel" concept doesn't always make things happen faster.

Edited by CO Admin