Sad times for TBs

I have jsut realised that out of 5 TBs in the wild, only one is currently accountable for :o :

One went awol from it's first placement

Two others are not in the caches they are supposed to be

And one was in a recently muggled cache

Is an 80% attrition rate common - or am I just naturally unlucky?

(at least my coins all seem safe at the moment - although one or two people are hanging on to them a bit long)

And you have them well tagged. That is too bad.

I think that Mini Mayhem #2 is going to pop up here soon, it hasn't been gone long and I think someone hinted they took it.

Well that could be good news :o

You might want to move Island Hopper and Mini #1 to an unknown location.

I'm still hoping Island Hopper might show up as there's no evidence that the cache was raided, but I think you're right with the other one, off to the graveyard to join poor old buggy bear ;)

One of my Geocoins (released Xmas 2005 and a gift from a very good friend) has travelled a mere 26.4 miles. It was picked up by a "cacher" on 23rd May 2006 and has not moved since. Several emails to them requesting that it be returned to the 'wild' have remained unanswered. :laughing:

Consequently, I've decided not to release any further coins into the great outdoors until I percieve the situation improving. :laughing:

Talking of lost/missing TB's, I have just received and email from someone in the States telling me that one of my TB's was not in the cache that it had been listed as being placed.

They had emailed the previous finder (Who by the way had held onto it since December 05) and all he said was he had logged it into the wrong cache.

I went to check his profile to see which other caches he had done recently just in case there was any note about placing my TB, only to find that he had not done any other caches since May 06 and he had supposedly dropped off my TB on 17.8.06 so how can he accidentally log it into the wrong cache I wonder?

I know it's ONLY a TB but it really annoys me to think that people take these TB's and have no intention of moving them on even after contacting them and asking them politely.

Never even got an email to say sorry for holding on to your TB for so long....

Sorry for the rant but I really need to let off steam...lol... <_<

With over 100 TB's and coins out there travelling, only 2 of the TB's missing bother us greatly. Evangeline who made it all the way to France on her way to North America only to be returned to Staffordshire and never heard of again and the Holy Grail, missing for well over a year in a cachers hand (who also has not cached in a year.

On the upside This morning the Holy Grail was resurrected with its copy tag and will appear to a chosen few at Shrops. <_<;);)

Just checked on 1 of my Twin Peaks Geocoins to see an "Unknown Location" message against it.

It would seem that it has been removed/muggled from the Cache along with one of Team Maddies coins at the same time. Read through the logs for this cache and a recent log mentions that there were no TB's or Geocoins present although I am entirely happy that it was dropped off there.

Who can log an "Unknown Location" against a TB or Geocoin ? Is it possible to find out any further info?, is the cache owner notified that their cache may have been muggled ? Are their any steps I should take as a matter of course...........inform someone ?? Is the cache likely to be muggled again ? Should other cachers be fore-warned !??

bemused

John <_<

Is there a graveyard for geocoins or can they be laid to rest in the TB graveyard?
There isn't a separate graveyard for geocoins so they can be laid to rest alongside the TBs. ;)

I prefer to just post my TB/coin as unknown location. This takes it of any cache listings or from someones profile, but doesn't tamper with the mileage.

I'm not a lover of the graveyard thing, as someone who doesn't know the purpose of it, may search a long time looking for something that doesn't exist.

Just checked on 1 of my Twin Peaks Geocoins to see an "Unknown Location" message against it.

It would seem that it has been removed/muggled from the Cache along with one of Team Maddies coins at the same time. Read through the logs for this cache and a recent log mentions that there were no TB's or Geocoins present although I am entirely happy that it was dropped off there.

Who can log an "Unknown Location" against a TB or Geocoin ? Is it possible to find out any further info?, is the cache owner notified that their cache may have been muggled ? Are their any steps I should take as a matter of course...........inform someone ?? Is the cache likely to be muggled again ? Should other cachers be fore-warned !??

bemused

John <_<

Other than officials of GC.com the only other person that can post your TB/coin as missing is the cache owner of the cache that your TB/coin is in. So you may want to confirm with them why they posted it as missing.

I've been told that you don't get an email when a cache owner does this, so unless you keep an eye on all your TB's you may never realise?

Edit to add Bluedeuce has covered this whilst i was typing my answer.

Edited by Haggis Hunter

Out of 11 released I have lost 3. One was a TB in a muggled cache, one was my first ever geocoin and stolen from a cache (had managed only 69 miles) and the third was a coin that was released for me in the States and was picked up by a cacher from the first cache it was placed in, and who apparently now can't find it. It has travelled 0 miles. And I think I am angriest about this one because of the carelessness and the attitude of the email when I finally got a reply. :laughing:

In this case, that was me as the cache owner. The logs indicated that the coins were missing from the cache and so I marked them as location unknown. I did not enjoy doing it but it keeps the cache record straight.

As the person who dropped these coins off was caching with a mob of other cachers, I would assume that as they dropped the coin, somebody else picked it up, so I imagine that the coins are not gone forever but have merely been temporarily forgotten about in somebody's caching bag. A quick scan of the other names that logged the cache on that day should give you an indication of where to start your search. Good luck.

I seem to have reached a critical point with several of my own TBs lately. They were all doing very well, but now several of them have stalled, in the hands of cachers, and one has gone missing from a cache and nobody knows where, so presumed dead by me. I have been sending polite prompting emails in an attempt to get them moving again, and will most likely send out a replacement for the missing one, in due course. It's all part of the joy of TB ownership!

You might want to move Island Hopper and Mini #1 to an unknown location.

I'm still hoping Island Hopper might show up as there's no evidence that the cache was raided, but I think you're right with the other one, off to the graveyard to join poor old buggy bear :anicute:

Sorry Boardslider, it was our cache that was muggled with Mini #1 in it :P

If we can be of any help in putting a replacement with a copy tag in a nearby cache, please let us know.

Two tb's released.

Two tb's disappeared.

The sad part was Marnie's 'dinosorter' had travelled over 23000 miles in just a matter of months and had come so close to reaching it's goal on about the 4th pick up.

Have just finally let a coin go but kind of think that this might well disappear too.

Oh well, 'them's the breaks'! :anicute:

i have 6 travel bugs out in the wild 3 have gone missing.one was in a race and as gone missing someone told me that people keep them so they are no longer in the race and gives them a better chance of winning.

i hope this isnt the case.its sad if people have to do this to win. :anicute:

Sorry Boardslider, it was our cache that was muggled with Mini #1 in it :D

If we can be of any help in putting a replacement with a copy tag in a nearby cache, please let us know.

It's no problem but thanks for offering. I did have a new mission for the minis planned and may yet use the copy tag for that. Meanwhile the other mini has turned up in an event cache :) So that brings down the attrition rate a bit :D