New To The UK From Oz

Heya

I'm an australian geocacher just moved to London for a while.

I am wondering if there are any caching clubs/events to attend in London for cachers?

I don't know any geocachers here yet and am interesting in meeting some because i dont fancy going caching on my own!

Princess_Leia

How long are you here for?

Welcome to the UK. There are quite a few friendly faces north of London, with varying levels of sanity, that may well make themselves known to you. Going to the Ting event is also a good idea to meet the local cachers, and it is only a short walk* from the station.

*Less than 2 miles

Coming to the event maybe a little tricky for me. Its about 50km from where i am staying and being new in the city, i have absolutely no idea how to make it out there on a train. Is there any events coming up in central london at all? I am here for a minimum of 6 months, and if i like it, could be years :lol:

Coming to the event maybe a little tricky for me. Its about 50km from where i am staying and being new in the city, i have absolutely no idea how to make it out there on a train. Is there any events coming up in central london at all? I am here for a minimum of 6 months, and if i like it, could be years :lol:

Until Rutson gets round to adding details you might like to look at this map and then get yourself a SilverLink train from London Euston (18:09) to Tring (18:51), returning on the 23:32 Silverline train from Tring arriving in Euston at 00:20. The Offpeak Day Return ticket will cost you £10.50. B)

Hey Princess Leia!

Didn't you move on my travel bug 'Heffalump' recently on the Gold Coast?

I live in Kent at the moment but work in London. I am also moving into London as soon as I can find a place to live.

Maybe we should meet up one evening????

Welcome to the UK

DragonLass

Coming to the event maybe a little tricky for me. Its about 50km from where i am staying and being new in the city, i have absolutely no idea how to make it out there on a train. Is there any events coming up in central london at all? I am here for a minimum of 6 months, and if i like it, could be years B)

Howdy,

To get to Tring you would need to get to Euston Station, its about a 30-40 minutes train trip.

If you are keen, we could possibly give you a ride from the station as we should be going to the event.

It would be good to have someone else at the event from Down under that can explain that Australia and New Zealand are different places :lol:

See ya...Gary and Margaret (KiwiGary) and (KiwiTulip)

hey DragonLass! Yes i did move TB Heffalump! you have a good memory :lol:

It would be great to meet up. I am dying to do some caching around London!!

I too am going to be looking for a place to live at the end of August/start September.

I cant keep dossing forever B)

Kiwis, it would be great if i could come with you. I can get to Euston station no probs.

Leia

Edited by Princess_Leia

Here is a link to the web page of the operator for that train line : Link

There are online timetables, you want Birmingham - Northampton - Euston (you trains depart from platform 8 - 11 at Euston, unless there is a problem) and you can exit the tube station via an exit that brings you right up by those platforms!

The pub does food and there is at least one cache within staggering distance.

Hi

Anne and I are looking forward to meeting you at Tring :lol:

We have cached in Perth and we stay in Duncraig with our son ( Scytale ) We are going over in November for another go at some of the Perth caches and we a looking forward to chewing the fat about some of the new Perth caches and about some of the London caches

Ken ( Zensunni )

Howdy,

To get to Tring you would need to get to Euston Station, its about a 30-40 minutes train trip.

If you are keen, we could possibly give you a ride from the station as we should be going to the event.

It would be good to have someone else at the event from Down under that can explain that Australia and New Zealand are different places :lol:

See ya...Gary and Margaret (KiwiGary) and (KiwiTulip)

I thought Australia was known as the West Island :D

hey DragonLass! Yes i did move TB Heffalump! you have a good memory :lol:

It would be great to meet up. I am dying to do some caching around London!!

I too am going to be looking for a place to live at the end of August/start September.

I cant keep dossing forever :D

Kiwis, it would be great if i could come with you. I can get to Euston station no probs.

Leia

Hi Princess Leia,

That sounds great, we can pick you up from the Tring Station.

I will send you an email with my phone number, can you give me a yell when you know what time the train arrives into Tring.

See ya on Sunday...

Gary and Margaret

Hey Princess Leia!

Didn't you move on my travel bug 'Heffalump' recently on the Gold Coast?

I live in Kent at the moment but work in London. I am also moving into London as soon as I can find a place to live.

Maybe we should meet up one evening????

Welcome to the UK

DragonLass

So when did you move away from Sutton???! :D

We're heading to the tring event direcxt from Southampton, but may be around for lifts home. Princess Leia, whereabouts in London are you, NSE or W? Contrary to Alistair's implication, there are nice friendly cachers in South London as well!!!

Dave and Mary

PS - scientist? what field? where you working? :lol:

Heya

I'm actually in South London, near Kennington.

For science i am going to be working at UCL.

OK, well we're in South London / North Surrey as well, so if you can manage to get to the event tomorrow, then you're more than welcome to a lift home later! And I'm sure someone would be around to pick you up from the station! I see Gary has offered already!

I've PM'd you a mobile number, as we're away for the weekend (visiting the out-laws!)

Dave and Mary

Heya

I'm actually in South London, near Kennington.

For science i am going to be working at UCL.

Ah! North South London then! :blink:

I live just round the corner from PP on the SW20/Surrey border but work just over the river from Kennington. If you are at UCL, Bloomin Heck is one of my favourites in that part of London and should keep you busy for a few lunch breaks before you complete it. It will also show you some interesting places worth visiting near the college.

Hey all,

I hope the event was fun last night. Sorry i couldnt make it along. I felt a bit weird about going all that way on my own and not knowing anyone. So i will come to the next event that is closer to home here. Maybe i will organise a cache event of my own! Or let me know when the next event near central london is.

Thankyou to everyone that offered to help me though. I appreciated this.

Princess_Leia