Caching Differences From State To State

markz68

I have been caching for about 6 weeks now but have already noticed a few differences in the experiences in the three states I have found caches in.

In Indiana, we seem to have a lot of the little metal capsule micro caches. In Texas, I didn't find one single one of them in the 31 caches I found. I only found 5 caches in Michigan, but none of them were those either.

As for signature items...I am seeing more and more wooden geonickels in Indiana. In Texas, I only found 2 signature items and they were both plastic tokens from a cacher in Alaska. In Michigan, I found quite a few business card sized signature cards (from various states).

Also, in a month of caching in Indiana, I had not found any trackable coins and on;y 2 travel bugs. In two days in Texas, I found two trackable coins and two travel bugs.

We also have LOTS of cemetery caches in Indiana, but then again we have LOTS of small cemeteries everywhere. A friend of mine from California came to visit back in the 90's and couldn't get over how many cemeteries we had scattered everywhere. I guess where he was from, they had only a few cemeteries, but they were very big.

What differences have you noticed either in the types of caches, the contents, or the signature items?

New geocachers tend to follow the patterns and types of hides that they have found. That is why it is common to see many of the same types of hides regionally. If you find an ammo can well hidden on a trail - you are likely to place the same. If you find micros under lampskirts as your first few then you do the same.

Around here, many of my town/city caches from a few years ago were camo tape covered rubbermaid. Now there are a bunch of them. Out in the rural areas I placed ammo boxes - now that is generally what you find. I think I was the only cacher with 75 miles for my first 2 years. Now there are 40 or so. Starting to see some real creative stuff going on. Sadly - starting to also see lampskirt micros. I hope many of the new cachers don't continue that trend.

As you cache more, you will begin to see differences in your own state. I cache in MO, most of my caches are rural based, traditional ammo can/tupperware hides in the forest. The St. Louis area has a very active cacher community, and while they have traditional caches, most are more difficult/clever than the typical ones I am used to. KC also has a good community, but not as hard as STL. I love the diversity of caches as I travel, it helps me later when I can pull a trick out of my bag that I used to find a previous "difficult" cache. Always good to impress the spouse! :laughing:

Sadly - starting to also see lampskirt micros. I hope many of the new cachers don't continue that trend.

Here in Wyoming, there aren't very many micros at all and in fact, the first lamppost skirt cache we found was a full sized tupperware. It didn't even have any dirty golf balls or broken McToys in it - just normal dollar store trinkets.

I'm not sure if I could declare any prevalent style around here, aside from the fact there are very few caches that are not small or regular sized traditional caches. Multi-caches and unknown caches are generally ignored (though there are a few excellent multis in the area) and I don't believe there has ever been a virtual or webcam cache within 30 miles of here. Now that no new ones can be created, it seems that will permanently be absent from this area. Also, even though there was never many of them to begin with, there were no earth caches anywhere in the entire state. Maybe some of these later versions have popped up on Waymarking.com, but I never go there - so I'll never know.

I've been lucky enough (largely due to business travel) to have cached in 28 states and 4 countries outside of the US. There is a tremendous amount of local variation. Some areas are swarming with park and grabs. Other areas are nothing but long hikes. Some areas are full of micros. Some areas have very few.

The one thing that always makes me chuckle is the difference in terrain ratings. In a relatively flat areas you can find a 2 mile round trip hike on a well maintained trail with no elevation change rated as 3-4 stars. Go to a mountainous or hilly area and a 3 mile hike on a narrow, rocky trail with an 800' elevation gain could be rated as 2 stars.

I've traveled to a number of different states to cache, and it always surprises me to come across new hiding methods that seem to be pretty common in one area but are not seen elsewhere. I'v even used this as the basis for one of my more challenging hides (they're not so challenging after you've found a few and know what to look for, but the first one's tough).

Even though I'm not that well travelled I've noticed some differences too. Around Sacramento I recall finding a lot of caches wrapped in plastic trash bags. Most seemed to be within feet of a trail or walking path. Near my in-laws' in western NY there are mostly micros hidden in small pocket parks and mall parking lots. I found my first lamp post skirt micro there...and my second...and third....

Here in northern NJ most caches are longer walks in the woods and I'd say most of those are in ammo boxes and are hidden well off the trail. I've yet to find a lamp post micro here and the mall micros are very rare. I have two large malls within 15 miles of my home and neither has a cache anywhere in the lot. Go to some other states and those malls have 3-4 caches each. There are few cemetery caches here (I've yet to encounter a single one) but they are very popular in other places.

Eastern PA is weird because there are many large, scenic state parks and gamelands but the majority of caches there seem to be micros placed in built up areas. The exact opposite of northern NJ.

In northern Va it seems caches are placed anywhere there is a tree and some grass. I don't recall a lot of mall micros though, but there were some.

As Starbrand mentioned cachers tend to hide what they find, which accounts for many regional differences. If the pioneering geocachers in the area were placing micros, that is what most people place. If they were using ammo boxes, you'll see a lot of those.

I believe another factor is the local regulations. PA state parks have a permit process. NJ doesn't. Though the PA process is quite easy I think a good portion of geocachers would rather not deal with getting a permit, hence the larger amount of suburban and urban hides. Without a permit process in place in NJ people tend to gravitate to the state parks and forests and many large county parks.

New geocachers tend to follow the patterns and types of hides that they have found. That is why it is common to see many of the same types of hides regionally. If you find an ammo can well hidden on a trail - you are likely to place the same. If you find micros under lampskirts as your first few then you do the same.

Around here, many of my town/city caches from a few years ago were camo tape covered rubbermaid. Now there are a bunch of them. Out in the rural areas I placed ammo boxes - now that is generally what you find. I think I was the only cacher with 75 miles for my first 2 years. Now there are 40 or so. Starting to see some real creative stuff going on. Sadly - starting to also see lampskirt micros. I hope many of the new cachers don't continue that trend.

I enjoy hearing about regional differences, I hope many people respond! Yes, there is a definate "monkey see, monkey do" trend :lol:

My first experience with this was a couple of years ago, when I took a 2 week business trip to a metro area about 200 miles south east of me in a different State. I won't mention any names, but this metro area is in NE Pa. :P There, everyone, and I do mean everyone wraps their caches in plastic garbage bags. (which is a horrible idea by the way). But you go 50 miles north to the next metro area, and this practice is unheard of.

I also have the unique perspective of living on the Canadian border. There are over 200 caches within 40 miles of my home coords, but in a different country, not counting U.S. caches. In my area, many-legged multi's with a full sized final and several "micro in the woods" preceding legs are very popular. This can be traced back to a legendary local who placed over 2 dozen caches in 2002 (but has since left the area). But in this nearby area of Canada, not only are multi's unusual, multi's with "micro in the woods" legs are pretty much unheard of.

And predictably, I couldn't end this post without saying that in this region of Ontario, Canada, you could probably count the number of lame micros on one hand, while they are starting to get pretty crazy in my area :laughing:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Interesting that you mention Indiana, as we're Hoosiers, too--but waaaaay down south from you. Here in the metro area (near Louisville, KY) , there are a variety of container types. The matchbox is a popular small container as is the film cannister. Larger caches tend toward ammo cans tucked here and there. Of course, if you drive just a few miles away to the wooded areas, the ammo can is king. I spend about as much time caching in KY as in IN though. Lots of larger parks in my area have ammo can hides as well. We also have one fellow who just loves to use big plastic jars, there is another who is fond of paint buckets. Most of these are straight up hides, but one guy really specializes in multis and offsets that are awesome and there are a few who like puzzles that aren't too hard for me (which must mean they are easy because I am terrible at puzzles).

Down in the southwest corner of the Hoosier state I know of someone with a penchant for putting out teensy weensy little itsy bitsy nanos. I think the folks in his town will eventually rise up against him but perhaps not--we found a good number of smaller containers there.

We have a lot of local cachers who like to try experimental containers. You never know what they will try next. Some things work, some don't--we comment for each other and move on. The really bad ideas get replaced fairly quickly (Which reminds, me, I have one I need to go do something with myself!).

On a trip to WI a couple of years ago, we kept finding largish pill bottles. After the tenth one or so my husband logged he commented about it in one of the logs "You folks not feeling so well?"

You're right about the variation regionally on terrain ratings. Even within the state (Florida) I see a big difference in terrain ratings from the Atlantic coast over to the Gulf coast. I think having some cachers in wheelchairs and a couple hauling their oxygen cylinders behind has tended to get the terrain ratings quite conservative. On newer hides around here a 1 terrain very like really IS wheelchair accessible. And a 3 terrain is just a touch off trail and a tad long. Somewhere else it would get rated a 2.

Around here, most caches are either in ammocans or decon containers. I've never seen a cache wrapped in plastic. I don't think we have a single LPM, but we do have some micros, many of which are in custom made containers. Our caches are rarely muggled and usually contain decent swag, along with plenty of sig items.

Travel 100 miles west and you'll find a cache under every lightpost, lots of tupperware, but still decent swag and lots of sigs.

Travel 100 miles east and you'll find the effects of an active cache maggot. Log only caches abound and many don't last long before they're taken. The rush to find a new cache before it's horked by the maggot makes for some fast and furious caching.

I've cached primarly in California and Texas, a little in Washington state and others, and the biggest difference I noticed right away was the logs. In California, every cacher had his or her own sticker (a customed designed address label) and you came to recognize each person's sticker when you were placing your own. Here in Texas, I've noticed people don't really use stickers and usually just sign the log and leave a custom trinket behind. I've also seen custom stamps in my travels- i really like the sticker idea and have come to use them myself every where I go.

I am from the eastern part of the state with the cache maggot. One of the things I have noticed is that the hides have become very evil in order to thwart the cache maggot. My wife was talking to a cacher who was visiting this area the other day and he made the statement that it was almost impossible to find caches in this area. It either was not there or it was so well hidden that he couldn't find it.

I am from the eastern part of the state with the cache maggot. One of the things I have noticed is that the hides have become very evil in order to thwart the cache maggot. My wife was talking to a cacher who was visiting this area the other day and he made the statement that it was almost impossible to find caches in this area. It either was not there or it was so well hidden that he couldn't find it.

"cache maggot" or in a previous post "active cache maggot"? Clue the rest of us on what you mean here.

"cache maggot" or in a previous post "active cache maggot"? Clue the rest of us on what you mean here.

A "cache maggot" is someone who chooses to destroy or steal caches. They seem to thrive on the negative publicity.

In response to the OP, Team Neos is correct about the variety and large number of ammo can hides in our Louisville, KY area. And yes, I do think regional cachers reinforce what they find. However, our view of other areas may be skewed when we travel. Unless it's a destination cache/cache area we're seeking, traveling cachers often tend to look for the easier one to two star caches in unfamiliar territory. Unless staying in that area caching for more than a day, the caches found may not truly represent the hiding techniques employed by most local cachers. Sometimes, the ammo can hides or more creative hides may have higher difficulty ratings, something that visiting cachers may filter out on a PQ.

There are often wide variations even within a fairly small state.

In northern NJ 3 star terrain is usually a somewhat steep and rugged hike over rocky terrain or an extensive bushwack through dense overgrowth. I've had people from other areas tell me my 3 star terrain caches should be 4+ stars.

In southern NJ however nearly anything that is not right on a trail is rated 3 stars.

Also, in northern NJ puzzle caches are rare. Drive an hour or two south and they are very common.

Edited by briansnat

Also, in northern NJ puzzle caches are rare. Drive an hour or two south and they are very common.

I'm still working on changing that! :D And I was going to put out my next cach as a regular cache! It's all Brian's fault if it becomes a mystery cache! Hee hee hee.

One difference that I've noticed is that downstate New Yorkers will sometimes hide their caches in black plastic bags. Our conveniece stores do not give out black plastic bags. Boo hoo!

I'm still working on changing that! :blink: And I was going to put out my next cach as a regular cache! It's all Brian's fault if it becomes a mystery cache! Hee hee hee.

One difference that I've noticed is that downstate New Yorkers will sometimes hide their caches in black plastic bags. Our conveniece stores do not give out black plastic bags. Boo hoo!

Shhh! Don't say "black plastic bags"! The White Urkel will get you! :P

There are often wide variations even within a fairly small state.

In northern NJ 3 star terrain is usually a somewhat steep and rugged hike over rocky terrain or an extensive bushwack through dense overgrowth. I've had people from other areas tell me my 3 star terrain caches should be 4+ stars.

In southern NJ however nearly anything that is not right on a trail is rated 3 stars.

That's because people don't actually read and understand the rating system. 3 stars doesn't mean it's hard, only that it isn't suitable for small children. Whether it's hard or not depends on your own abilities.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone