When To Use The "needs Archived" Option?

Cooties!

Being fairly new, I hope this question will help myself and others with the proper way to handle the "Needs Archived" option when logging a cache.

Here's the sample cache: Kid Cache (GCPFVM)

If you look at the logs, there are almost a dozen DNF's. There's also a note from a reviewer, but it's dated back in May (this cache was pretty active).

Based on the past logs, I logged my DNF as a "needs archived".

I could have used the "needs maintenance" option, but it's pretty obvious that the owner hasn't checked on it in awhile.

Was that correct? Is there another way to "flag" the cache as needing attention?

Thanks (in advance) for the help...

My opinion on this - should just log a DNF with a plea to the owner to check on it. After all, you didn't find it and you cannot know (for certain) that the cache is missing. Contact the owner or a previous finder to see if they can verify the existence. If it really is gone or violates the guidelines - then log a DNF.

I'd say that was a proper use of the tool.

Here are situations where I would consider using a "Needs Archived" (also called an "SBA") log:

-If cache is obviously missing (a series of DNFs after many found its) and the owner has not responded

-If the cache is in blatant violation of the listing guidelines (on private property without permission, next to actvie RR tracks, on school property, etc...)

-If the cache is in violation of known regulations (e.g. placed without a permit in a park that requires permits)

You use the SBA log when you need the cache to be immediatly archived for some emergency type situation. Something like the land owner yelling at you for being on their land and they make it clear that the cache should be removed.

If you have a concern that isnt a clear and present geocaching danger you should email the owner.

The SBA log without contacting the owner is like going behind someones back.

If the cache owner is active they can read your DNF and decide to check the cache just as well as if you posted an SBA log. If they are not active, then the SBA log won't matter to the cache owner.

The real purpose of the SBA log is to notify this website that the cache needs archived and that either 1) It's an emergency or 2) The cache owner is MIA and the cache is FUBAR or MIA itself.

Based on your description I'd say that was not a proper use of the SBA log.

Edited by Renegade Knight
If you have a concern that isnt a clear and present geocaching danger you should email the owner.

The SBA log without contacting the owner is like going behind someones back.

My opinion on this - should just log a DNF with a plea to the owner to check on it.

In the instance the OP referred to, the owner already had numerous e-mails going back to February in the form of DNFs and one needs maintenace log from the reviewer in May. How many more emails does he need? The cache is gone and the owner obviously doesn't give a rat's patootie, so it should be archived. The OP did the right thing.

Edited by briansnat

SBA

If you are ever in doubt (or want to remain anonymous) contact a reviewer and ask them if they would check the listing. They'll post a log that'll start the clock ticking down towards archive.

edit: sorry, I used a bad word.

Edited by BlueDeuce

SBA

If you are ever in doubt (or want to remain anonymous) contact a reviewer and ask them if they would check the listing. They'll post a log that'll start the clock ticking down towards archive.

That is what I have done a few times and our Reveiwer has Archived the caches.

You were absolutely right to post a SBA. They're not for emergency use only.

And no, you don't necessarily have to email the owner first, especially if there are already a large number of DNFs dating back months. The owner has either received all those logs and is ignoring them, or the owner is not getting the logs, in which case emailing is pointless.

I think I have only done a SBA once. I e-mailed him and got no response. I waited a couple months, then I looked at the user's profile and found he hadn't been active for a while, then in my SBA I mentioned how many DNF's there were including mine, that my e-mail had not been responded to, and how long he hadn't been active, and the reviewer archived the cache.

I somewhat agree with what people are saying except, I believe a NM log should have been the first step. If no response from that, then you can send a SBA log.

I believe the Standard operating procedure should be:

1. If you can't find it a DNF log should be filed

2. If you find it and it is in bad shape, then a NM log should be placed

3. If you find it and it is scattered all over the place, full of water, burned, crushed, eaten, or replaced by a severed head then a SBA log would fit.

Of course that is my opinion, I could be wrong.

3. If you find it and it is scattered all over the place, full of water, burned, crushed, eaten, or replaced by a severed head then a SBA log would fit.

Of course that is my opinion, I could be wrong.

I wouldn't SBA for this. I'd send a note to the cache owner. There are plenty of cache owners that will replace the cache when the cache is vandalized.

Ok...one thing that I didn't see mentioned in the thread...

When you post SBA, both the cache owner AND the approver for the area get notified.

When you post a NM, only the owner gets notified.

Exactly...by logging a SBA, you are notifying the owner and the reviewer, so it's not going behind anyone's back.

Ed

When you post SBA, both the cache owner AND the approver for the area get notified.

Exactly...by logging a SBA, you are notifying the owner and the reviewer, so it's not going behind anyone's back.

Ed

I agree. It's not going behind his back at all. Anyhow, we are talking tupperware here right? Let's not lose our perspective. <_< If someone is not maintaining their cache for this long an SBA log is totally appropriate IMHO. If I was the owner I would have temporarily disabled that cache after 3 consecutive DNFs. At least that way the cache won't waste anyone else's time until I can get time to check on it. I would write a note saying that I need to go out a verify it's there. That way if people do go for the cache at least they have been warned.

What about Cache's that have been disabled for repair/maintenance for over 4 months and the owner hasn't been active in 2 of those months? A particular cacher has had 2 down in my area for quite sometime.

Provided there isn't any clear posting about when they will check or replace the cache.

3 months: Note: Any status? Thanks.

6 months: SBA: If the cache is not to be replaced soon please archive the listing. It can be unarchived later if and when it is fixed. Thanks.

A new SBA every month after the first SBA.

Ed

I agree. It's not going behind his back at all. Anyhow, we are talking tupperware here right? Let's not lose our perspective. <_< If someone is not maintaining their cache for this long an SBA log is totally appropriate IMHO. If I was the owner I would have temporarily disabled that cache after 3 consecutive DNFs. At least that way the cache won't waste anyone else's time until I can get time to check on it. I would write a note saying that I need to go out a verify it's there. That way if people do go for the cache at least they have been warned.

Owner response is the key. Simply responding will delay an archive. Although I have seen many caches promised to be checked or replaced with no actual work done. After a year I start posting SBAs.

Well I logged a Note to the disabled caches asking a status, I guess if by the end of June they aren't fixed or archived then I will submit an SBA.

Your local reviewer checks up on disabled caches. You don't need to do anything. Personally given that it's a box of junk and many other things can take priority I'm not gonig to sweat a disabled cache until it's been a year or more.

Well I logged a Note to the disabled caches asking a status, I guess if by the end of June they aren't fixed or archived then I will submit an SBA.

Your local reviewer checks up on disabled caches. You don't need to do anything. Personally given that it's a box of junk and many other things can take priority I'm not gonig to sweat a disabled cache until it's been a year or more.

We have a reviewer named Nomex that is doing a great job at following up on caches that have been disabled for 3-4 months. He will email you first and give you more time, but there are a lot of disabled caches left by inactive cachers. Edited by TrailGators

SBA

edit: sorry, I used a bad word.

Good point. Some people can be vindictive.

I'll usually post a note: "Is anyone maintaining this cache". Then, if after a suitable period of time (30 days), if there is no response, I'll log an SBA.

This approach also gives the reviewer a sense that due diligence has been done and the cache is usually disabled with a note by the reviewer that the cache will be archived by X date if the cache owner doesn't respond.

If you don't have the cojones to admit you logged and SBA, then don't get the reviewer to do you dirty work for you, they have enough to do as it is.