Debate Over Garmin 60csx Vs. 60cs?

RussG

I happened to be in REI today and in the context of discussing gps hardware and software two of the employees dissagreed with one another over the bennefits/drawbacks of the 60csx. One said that one of his friends who works for the dept of defense has a 60csx and finds it to be innaccurate and so that employee recommended against buying the csx because of inaccuracy. The other employee said that he'd never had a problem.

I've read on and off about different experiences with the csx. I was ready to buy the csx before I heard the one employee diss the csx. I suspect that I'll still go that way unless someone here can convince me otherwise. I have no idea what the innacuracy was related to and don't know if the gps user was using the unit correctly.

Any input would be appreciated. (I realize that this topic has been touched upon in the past but newer software updates have also been recently introduced).

I debated this issue way more than I care to admit when I was buying my 60CSx. In the end I figured the percent that the "S" part cost of the total and figured that argument was not worth all the grief I was putting myself through. My advice, based on my experience: get the sensors. They give you something, especially when you are standing farily still next to a cache that you can't find.

The inaccuracy argument is nonsense. The sensors do not make the device less accurate. (I also have 2 Etrexs, a 60CS, and iQue 3600; the 60CSx is my geocaching tool of choice). The only question is whether the sensors will be of any benefit to you whatsoever. In the end this will come down to whether you are the type of person that pinches every penny or wether you occaisionally like to spluge a little bit.

I debated this issue way more than I care to admit when I was buying my 60CSx. In the end I figured the percent that the "S" part cost of the total and figured that argument was not worth all the grief I was putting myself through. My advice, based on my experience: get the sensors. They give you something, especially when you are standing farily still next to a cache that you can't find.

The inaccuracy argument is nonsense. The sensors do not make the device less accurate. (I also have 2 Etrexs, a 60CS, and iQue 3600; the 60CSx is my geocaching tool of choice). The only question is whether the sensors will be of any benefit to you whatsoever. In the end this will come down to whether you are the type of person that pinches every penny or wether you occaisionally like to spluge a little bit.

Wrong letter... he's asking about the X, not the S

Oops. Sorry about that. I missed that.

I would definitely recommend the x version over the non-x version for geocaching, even at the substantial difference in cost (if you can even find the 60CS on a clearance rack somewhere). The accuracy of the 60CSX and 60CS is the same when you have a signal. The difference shows up in when you have a signal. The 60CSx is truely amazing under trees, inside buildings, in the back seat of a car, etc. It makes a substantial difference in geocaching. I have the side-by-side comparison every time I go geocaching with my wife (she has the 60CS). Actually one very significant feature that the x has is the Custom POI list: I have the closest 12,000 caches (both found and not-yet-found) in my Custom POI list, each complete with the first 30 characters of the hint (and I have not even installed a larger memory card).

I happened to be in REI today and in the context of discussing gps hardware and software two of the employees dissagreed with one another over the bennefits/drawbacks of the 60csx. One said that one of his friends who works for the dept of defense has a 60csx and finds it to be innaccurate and so that employee recommended against buying the csx because of inaccuracy. The other employee said that he'd never had a problem.

I've read on and off about different experiences with the csx. I was ready to buy the csx before I heard the one employee diss the csx. I suspect that I'll still go that way unless someone here can convince me otherwise. I have no idea what the innacuracy was related to and don't know if the gps user was using the unit correctly.

Any input would be appreciated. (I realize that this topic has been touched upon in the past but newer software updates have also been recently introduced).

RussG,

I recently returned my 60CSx to REI for a full refund after three months of continual problems. Loaded with 2.90/2.60 (the latest firmwares), my 60CSx had a very inaccurate altimeter, an extremely inaccurate odometer, and total ascent measurements that were so inaccurate that they were useless. There was also a 'barometer bug.' I have two friends who have been experiencing similar inaccuracies and problems with their 60CSx's. These problems are discussed in a number of Groundspeak Forums threads. For example, see "Garmin 60csx Trip Computer Issue" and my Post #48 in that thread.

My advice: Beware! Do NOT buy a 60CSx!

TracknQ

In my humble opinion, if the issues related to concerns with the 60CSx are either cost or the compass or barometer.......one can take the beltway around those with the 60Cx. This unit costs less money yet offers all the benefits of the improved chipset, memory and all.

My Cx demonstrates excellent signal strength, accuracy and utility.

:)

In my humble opinion, if the issues related to concerns with the 60CSx are either cost or the compass or barometer.......one can take the beltway around those with the 60Cx. This unit costs less money yet offers all the benefits of the improved chipset, memory and all.

I'm not sure if the issues relate to the compass or the barometer or something else. For those of you that own or have tested the csx, can you simply "turn off" the compass and barometer on the csx for navagation if you wish?

I'm not sure if the issues relate to the compass or the barometer or something else. For those of you that own or have tested the csx, can you simply "turn off" the compass and barometer on the csx for navigation if you wish?

you can turn off the compass; but not (as far as I can tell) the barometer.

of course the thread title is '60csx' .v. '60cs' - but should have been '60csx' .v. '60cx' the 60cs is seems to no longer be in the product line (obvious move by garmin, why pay for memory when the customer can). There are some around; but, IMHO, can't see the point.

Over and above detailed performance issues:

The memory card brings lots of advantages:

I wanted it because you can store indefinite amounts of tracks on it - good for geotagging on a long trip.

microSD is cheep; so you can get more than one for different regions and/or take advantage of advances in technology when it comes along (faster, bigger etc.)

store POIs on them.

and, I'm hoping, store routes on them (if Garmin get their act together).

I don't have much use for the barometer. But a compass that keeps working when you're standing still is quite useful - although admittedly a concept as old as the hills.

The difference between 20 and 18 hours (normal batteries) is irrelevant if you use rechargeables. Most people can arrange a recharge every couple of days - and if you can't, it's because your so far in the wilderness that you'd better have piles of backup batteries anyway!!

I know your question is about the 60 series, but the 76 series is identical in firmware so I thought I would reply. I upgraded, and yes, I do believe it is an “upgrade”, to the 76CSx from the 76CS. I kept both units for several weeks and sold the 76CS. I found the x series to be more accurate in my environment due to its increased sensitivity. I have not experienced any of the problems some have mentioned. With the x series, you will have expandable memory, POI capability, much better sensitivity (particularly under foliage), and a platform that Garmin is constantly improving. I have no regrets concerning the x series in my appications

The difference between 20 and 18 hours (normal batteries) is irrelevant if you use rechargeables. Most people can arrange a recharge every couple of days - and if you can't, it's because your so far in the wilderness that you'd better have piles of backup batteries anyway!!

If you're that far in the wilderness, you better know how to use a plain, simple compass (as well as how to start a fire without matches or a lighter ... let alone finding food).

Jan

Having used an Etrex Vista before, the question about whether to get a cx or a csx was a no brainer. Just the fact that you can still see a bearing without moving is a huge plus in almost any situation. Altitude might be less valuable, but then GPS altitude calculation is not as good as positional anyway.

As to general comments about accuracy - so far I have never seen my CSX report an EPE better than about 11 feet whereas my Vista would often claim better. In practice geocaching the CSX has led me straight to caches even under cover, so the reported EPE might just be 'modesty' on the part of the software.

I don't have the 60CXS yet, but I know a few people who do and every one is absolutley thrilled with its performance. Having geocached alongside one person who was using a CSX, I was extremely impressed with its reception and accuracy vs. my 60CS.

I will be upgrading my 60CS to a 60CSX as soon as I can afford to.

I think the accuracy issue most people are seeing with the new Sirf III chip units is a "Depends on circumstance" thing. The improved sensitivity can be a blessing or curse. One interesting thing you can do with one of these units is walk under a big metal overhang and then look at the signals you're picking up. When I've tried that, just about every time I've been picking up satellites there is no way I have a direct line of sight on, which pretty much lets you know the units are susceptable to multipath. Most of the time, the error you get as a result of this problem is small, and from what I've seen more people prefer the somewhat error prone results to no results at all, depending on the sort of reception issues they're having. As an example, you're likely to get a fairly small error as a result of multipath in a heavy forest in flat terrain, but all bets are off in steep canyons.

Myself, I prefer the more accurate results as I can virtually always find a way to get reception even with a "Less sensitive" receiver, but I can't always tell when a receiver is lying to me, which is a problem I find more problematic in the sorts of terrrain I like to play in.

I'm not sure if the issues relate to the compass or the barometer or something else. For those of you that own or have tested the csx, can you simply "turn off" the compass and barometer on the csx for navagation if you wish?

Not sure if this constitites "turning off" the barometer but when you click calibrate and answer "NO" to the "Do you know the current pressure" and "NO" to "Do you know the current elevation", the 60 Csx advises the user that GPS elevation will be used.

Don't listen to all the nonsense. Get the "x" series.

I have a 60CS and it looses signal under the slightest canopy. Since I was using it with the compass turned off and not using the altimeter, last week I decided to get the Cx, and I am more than pleased with it. Reception even in my basement although quite limited, it works almost anywhere in the house and car unlike it's predecessor.