Butterflies

I was out enjoying a pleasant walk around Twyford Down/River Itchen this afternoon and suddenly realised that there seem to be a lot more butterflies around this year

Is it just me or does anyone else agree?

It's just you. :rolleyes:

I've never really noticed. I never seem to see that many anyway.

We recently came across a place on Dartmoor where there were loads of purple butterflies with dragonflies bodies, or was it a dragonfly with butterfly wings? :unsure:

Anyway, couldn't find such thing in our insect book or on google. Would be interested if anyone could shed some light?

Maybe in the butterfly world at the moment testosterone levels are very high explaining for why there are so many! Perhaps they've even started breeding with dragonflies! :rolleyes:

:unsure: Have not seen that many butterflies but had an elephant hawk moth come into the house throught the window last night,took a pic of it and put it back out and it promptly came back in again! :unsure:

We had one of those on Tuesday evening: MrB caught it in a pint beer glass and brought it inside for me to have a look at :unsure: No hummingbird hawk moths yet, tho.

I think there are a few more butterflies about, perhaps due to the long, warm and dry spell (which has just finished here in SE Wales :rolleyes: )

MrsB

:unsure: Have not seen that many butterflies but had an elephant hawk moth come into the house throught the window last night,took a pic of it and put it back out and it promptly came back in again! :unsure:

Laying in bed last night, with the window open wide to let plenty of air into the room we had a Bat fly into the bedroom :rolleyes:

Took a while before it gave up circling about inside the room and came to rest. I was able to pick it up and put it back outside, whilst my wife hid under the bed clothes! Window was left not quite as wide open after that!

J

Edited by dakar4x4
Don't know about butterflies but the pesky horseflies are out in numbers round cheshire.

got very itchy bites all over arms and legs

/bargee scratches

My 5 year old boy shouted to me last week that a butterfly had landed on him. When I turned around there was a horse fly on his nose. My wife managed to swat it off before it had time to bite. :anicute:

We found a butterfly-in-waiting (ok a caterpillar) on an organic cauliflour from Tesco's the other day. Removed it to a place of (possible) sanctuary where it had the chance to fulfuil it's destiny (or be eaten by a sparrow). Goes to prove the stuff really is organic - any pesticides would have done for the little fella.

I was out enjoying a pleasant walk around Twyford Down/River Itchen this afternoon and suddenly realised that there seem to be a lot more butterflies around this year

Come to think of it, here in the sunny Lake District, I seem to have seen fewer than normal for this time of the year.

Come to think of it, here in the sunny Lake District, I seem to have seen fewer than normal for this time of the year.

That's because they are all down here!

The Marbled Whites justify a visit on their own

Err - we went to the Royal Concert Hall to see them, to be honest I think I've grown out of them :anicute: Master Golem (Age 5) and his friend sat there with faces like bad fat while we tried to inject a bit of enthusiasm into them, the younger ones enjoyed it and Mrs G would go again as she has a soft spot for Anthony (he's the blue one) :grin: - I don't think we'll be going to see them again :)

We went to the Science Museum afterwards which was superb, didn't get chance to try for the cache there - I feel another trip to Scotland's on the cards.... :)

Edited to add: Sorry for dragging the thread miles off topic - here are some butterflies:

bf_group14.jpg

Edited by The Golem