Sounds Of Caching

Where I cache in NJ, I hear birds, the wind and perhaps a babbling brook, along with the ever present sound of overhead airplanes and the drone of nearby highways. You can take 4 mile hike to a pretty, secluded spot and you still hear some highway off in the distance. Airplanes are a constant presence no matter where you go.

Its hard to get away from those sounds in the northeast. Even on backpacks to fairly remote areas in the Catskills and Adirondacks you can hear airplanes and some distant road or highway.

When I took a canoe trip on the Allagash River in Maine, the first thing I noticed was the silence.

The predominant sound around here is that sound a swarm of mosquitos makes when they discover fresh meat in the woods, after a week of rain. That sound is promptly followed by frantic swatting and scratching sounds, then the sound of scooting footsteps and swearing. :unsure:

Where I cache in NJ, I hear birds, the wind and perhaps a babbling brook, along with the ever present sound of overhead airplanes and the drone of nearby highways. You can take 4 mile hike to a pretty, secluded spot and you still hear some highway off in the distance. Airplanes are a constant presence no matter where you go.

Its hard to get away from those sounds in the northeast. Even on backpacks to fairly remote areas in the Catskills and Adirondacks you can hear airplanes and some distant road or highway.

When I took a canoe trip on the Allagash River in Maine, the first thing I noticed was the silence.

Amazing isn't it how many people get lost within hearing distance of a road. I still remember from my Adirondack days how hearing traffic told me I was getting close to food and a shower.

Amazing isn't it how many people get lost within hearing distance of a road. I still remember from my Adirondack days how hearing traffic told me I was getting close to food and a shower.

I remember days in the ADK like that. Visiting the KOA's and National Parks.

I live in Upstate NY, Finger Lakes area. Not too far from a highway, and surrounded by many back-country roads which have names, but are given numbers on googlemaps. Going from here into Rochester city noise isn't all that bad. it's when I take trips down to NYC that the audible difference is highly noticable.

(mumbling)Quietly...quietly...shhhh(/mumbling)

CAH-THOP! PING!

(mumbling)Geez, those ammo can's can be hard to open.(/mumbling)

--------

(mumbling)Quietly...quietly...shhhh(/mumbling)

SKREE! POP!

(mumbling)Geez, those ammo can's can be hard to close.(/mumbling)

Edited by MrCOgeo