The Missing Shoe Conundrum.

It's something I have noticed for years but ever since we started caching it has become more apparant. Has anybody else noticed the amount of single shoes that are left lying about, often in the most inacessable of places? How do people lose a shoe and not notice? How do they get home and what explanation do they give? They can't all be drunk, and why oh why does approximately 90% of all discarded footwear appear to be of the left foot variety?

C'mon, there must be an answer out there and before you ask, yes I have thought of a certain celebrity but am too tasteful to mention her myself. :laughing:

It appears to me there is a simple solution for the fact that the right shoe is never found.

Obviously the half a pair of footwear that is normally found is the "left" one.

Sorry about this but someone had to say it eventually.

Gordon (Old :rolleyes:

:)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old B @ May 31 2006, 03:54 PM) 2248590[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

It appears to me there is a simple solution for the fact that the right shoe is never found.

Obviously the half a pair of footwear that is normally found is the "left" one.

:( On a recent escapade to Wales we did indeed find both the Right and the Left boot. I'm sure that under the new devolved system of government in Wales both boots claimed their right to be left behind! :(:(

2ab2e833-4d34-457a-9794-5da48f82d3af.jpg

{EDITED 18:00 to include - While I was doing some maintenance checks on caches I stumbled across this post at one of our favourite caches. I think that a quick peek may help to explain many missing items - but not the shoe conundrum.}

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

I can inform you however, that if there is a very bad/fatal crash/accident like a car/bus/lorry/train, there are always odd shoes left behind. Apparently it the only bit of clothing that falls off when a body is struck or put into a violent shock!

I remember a story on Radion 4's "Home Truths" show some time ago (back when John Peel was presenting it). There was a series of stories about random shoes, etc. One week they ran a (slightly macabre) story from somebody who found a boot with a foot still in it. The following week they had a story from the person who the boot/foot had belonged to, explaining the circumstances of the accident he'd had.

p.s. am I alone in thinking that "The Missing Shoe Conundrum" would make an excellent name for a rock band?

I remember a story on Radion 4's "Home Truths" show some time ago (back when John Peel was presenting it). There was a series of stories about random shoes, etc. One week they ran a (slightly macabre) story from somebody who found a boot with a foot still in it. The following week they had a story from the person who the boot/foot had belonged to, explaining the circumstances of the accident he'd had.

You can't just say something like that and not tell us any more. How, why and what happened.... I'll not get to sleep tonight wondering about this.

A very good question, and a very timely one as, while carrying out a bit of garden maintenence, we dicovered a stray shoe in our back garden! Now where did THAT come from??? :anitongue: Certainly not one of ours....

Cheers!

My guess is it's the foxes - even urban ones seem to have a shoe fetish! We no longer leave our shoes outside our back door because we've watched foxes take off with them................. :ph34r:

(P.S. Check this out..... http://aneetproduction.blogspot.com/2006/0...hoe-fetish.html )

Edited by 4 Badgers