Whats On Your 1st Page 2006

Over a year ago Phoenix started a thread on here about what was on your 1st page of unfound caches when you Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds).

His point was that once you have completed a hundred or so caches the list of your 10 - 20 still unfound is interesting, because either they must be very far away, or there’s some particular reason why you haven’t yet found them.

I though at the time that it was an interesting thread and this is an attempt to update it.

My closest unfound 10 are

Closest - 4.7 miles – not yet found because it’s so close that I keep putting it off when making longer caching trips.

2nd - 9.6 miles – I know this is up a steep hill

3rd – 10.4 miles – another steep hill

4th – 10.8 miles – guess what – another steep hill

5th – 11.1 – well blow me down – another very steep hill

6th – 12.9 miles – no surprises here – another hill

7th – 13.2 miles – a puzzle cache, which the logs suggest involves a steep hill

8th - 13.2 miles – seems to involve a hill

9th – 13.6 miles – an extremely steep hill

10th – 13.8 miles – no hills here – just haven’t got around to it yet

I see a pattern developing here – I’m not really a wimp – it’s just I need to get psyched up to walk up those inclines. But it’s nice to see there that’s some reason behind my closest unfounds.

Anyone else like to share ?

civilised

PS if there are reasons for not finding caches which involve personalities – probably best not to be too explicit about which caches you’re talking about.

Well here ya go, my ten closest unfound.

1. 10.5 miles N got to cross the Humber Bridge, perhaps a round trip of >60 miles.

2. 10.8 miles N ditto.

3. 11.8 miles SW virtual, only ever logged one in my early days!

4. 12 miles E another virtual over the bridge again, answer can be found on the internet!

5. 13.6 miles NW over the bridge again.

6. 14.4 miles NW another virtual.

7. 14.9 miles NW over the bridge again, virtual/multi trail in city centre.

8. 17.9 miles NW over the bridge again.

9. 20.4 miles NW over the bridge again.

10. 20.9 miles NW over the bridge again.

Looks like I am going to have to pay the toll on the most expensive bridge in England doesn't it. :anitongue:

My closest unfound 10:

1st - 2.2 miles - Just published 3 days ago, DNF'd it due to an error by the placer, just waiting for the weather to clear to get it.

2nd - 3.3 miles - Webcam one that I haven't been interested in getting yet.

3rd - 3.5 miles - Another fairly new cache with a lot of steps in the downtown area of a very busy city.

4th - 3.8 miles - A mystery cache I haven't figured out yet

5th - 3.9 miles - Hmmm, not sure why I haven't tried this one yet... maybe because of the high amount of muggles.

6th - 4.4 miles - A night micro - not much on micro caches in the woods. Will try this one day.

7th - 4.7 miles - Another mystery cache I haven't solved yet.

8th - 4.9 miles - Placed late last year, it is also located in the City, just haven't hit it yet.

9th - 6.8 miles - Lol, this lists 55 different coordinates - but actually should be a rather easy one.

10th - 7.9 miles - A night cache I haven't bother with yet.

DC

I've only done 98 but these are still on my list..

1. 1.4mi Wood Mill by Two Tykes - new

2 1.8mi A Thorny One by Two Tykes - new

3. 1.9mi Holden Beck Multi by Two Tykes - need to find a couple of hours to do this one

4. 2.0mi The Clough by Two Tykes - new

5. 2.1mi Don's Cache #2 by donster22 - This is a six miler!!

6. 2.3mi The Dean Revisited by Two Tykes - hope to nail this at the same time as 1,2 and 4 its one of Two Tykes sneaky ones!

7. 2.5mi The Bilberry Patch by Two Tykes - puzzle solved just need the chance to collect

8. 2.9mi Mytholmes Mouth by tykejnr - This one has been slightly relocated and we took the old description!

9. 3mi DOUBLER QUITS (West Yorkshire) by biffa - Not on my normal route to work etc

10. 3mi Druids' Delight (West Yorkshire) by leecee - I visited this one before I got my own geocache name, its on top of a hill, and quite a scamble to access - so fine evening is all I need!

Number 20 on my list is still only 4.3 miles away! I do work around 10 miles from home and pick caches up on my way home, so if you were to plot my found caches most of them would probably be along a 12 mile corridor.

1. 11.2m SE Quite new but just haven't been down that way for a while.

2. 14m NW New cache this week :laughing:

3. 16.2 SE Currently unavailable :laughing:

4. 17.3 SW New cache

5. 17.8 N Cache meet 15/07/06

6. 18.8 S New cache but need 2 TB's first

7. 20 N Puzzle I still haven't worked out :anitongue:

8. 20.2 N High muggle area we've already DNF'd this one once

9. 20.3 N Currently unavailable but haven't worked all the puzzles out anyway

10 20.4 NE Relatively new cache over towards Buxton so approx 1hr by car each way :laughing:

1st ALL TOOLED UP by EspritS3 2.1 miles - saving for a rainy day

2nd Leicester Forest East - M1 Rest & Go by Alice Band 6.5 miles - premium members only and I'm not one of those

3rd DYF Cache by mtbilly 8.5 miles - been twice abd can't find it

4th "Silver Oldies" by Starz-Bars 9.3 miles - mystery cache and can't answer two of the questions.........yet

5th Blue Streak II by Spacebocs [Adopted by Alice Band] 9.4 miles - went once and couldn't find it but didn't have much time to look and so need to go back one day

6th Autumnal Cache by mtbilly 10.5 miles - waiting until I manage to find DYF Cache (see above)

7th The Icehouse by Hillhappy1 10.7 miles - have solved the clues but need to convert to something else....haven't quite managed to work this out yet.

8th new! The Other Bradgate by Order of the Phoenix 10.8 miles - new cache

9th A "not so" Wild Woodland Walk by Team Swiss and Spider Bob 12.7 miles - haven't solved this one yet

10th LUAFC Premier Cache by mtbilly 12.9 miles - new cache

Do I get the prize for the closest 10 unfound?

Closest = 0.31km - Micro In/Under a big lamp at a tramstop, owner states he doesn't know to whom the lamp belongs, therefore cba to get it.

2nd = 0.35km - Micro at a monument - DNF, cba to look again.

3rd = 0.40km - Micro inside? a lamppost at a very busy square and tram/bus-stop, cba to get it. Doubt it has permission, and I ain't gonna trespass.

4th = 0.61km - Cache is someones house/postbox? German description/transaltion makes no sense to me, so I just ignore it.

5th = 0.67km - Micro hidden in a statue right outside main entrance to main museum. Doubt it has permission, and I ain't gonna trespass.

6th = 0.83km - Webcam, cba to get someone to do the honours.

7th = 0.89km - Winter cache - needs pond to be frozen to get there, else you have to wade/trespass through a slimy pond to get it.

8th = 0.95km - Webcam, cba to get someone to do the honours.

9th = 1.30km - 4/1 Multi, which I never fully translated.

10th = 1.80km - 3/1 Multi, which I partly translated, but has way too many stages, even if it does lead to a bonuscache allowing 2 logs for the price of 10 stages.

11th = the bonus for #10 above.

We've got quite a few unfound caches which are only 4.5, 6 or 7 miles away. Why? Because they're across the other side of the Bristol Channel and will cost us £4.90 toll charge to go and get them :laughing: But we'll be over there to clear up the whole bunch of them sometime soon :laughing:

Our nearest unfound on this side of the river is Stonefisk's Severn Thunder Above n Below.... (or is it the other side? :anitongue: ) We know that it involves walking out to the middle of the Old Severn Bridge and we're not prepared to do that until we have a really bright, clear "free" day. :laughing:

MrsB

I got my "closest unfound cache" distance up to 60km from my house. It was a bit of an effort to get from 50km to 60km clear, especially with a whole slew of caches appearing at altitude when the snow went at the end of March. I had been within one cache in January, then had to find 20.

When I finally got the last one, it was the same one as I didn't find in January, and it meant that I had found the (exactly) 250 caches nearest to my house, which I didn't own.

However, in a month or so I will be moving 20km further towards Germany - "where the caches are" - and I will need to find 40 or so just to get the 50km circle clear.

Do I get the prize for the closest 10 unfound?

Closest = 0.31km - Micro In/Under a big lamp at a tramstop, owner states he doesn't know to whom the lamp belongs, therefore cba to get it.

2nd = 0.35km - Micro at a monument - DNF, cba to look again.

3rd = 0.40km - Micro inside? a lamppost at a very busy square and tram/bus-stop, cba to get it. Doubt it has permission, and I ain't gonna trespass.

4th = 0.61km - Cache is someones house/postbox? German description/transaltion makes no sense to me, so I just ignore it.

5th = 0.67km - Micro hidden in a statue right outside main entrance to main museum. Doubt it has permission, and I ain't gonna trespass.

6th = 0.83km - Webcam, cba to get someone to do the honours.

7th = 0.89km - Winter cache - needs pond to be frozen to get there, else you have to wade/trespass through a slimy pond to get it.

8th = 0.95km - Webcam, cba to get someone to do the honours.

9th = 1.30km - 4/1 Multi, which I never fully translated.

10th = 1.80km - 3/1 Multi, which I partly translated, but has way too many stages, even if it does lead to a bonuscache allowing 2 logs for the price of 10 stages.

11th = the bonus for #10 above.

Wow ! I can't imagine how you can let all these stand - would bug the h*ll out of me - and no hills apparently :anitongue:

civilised

I've only found 42 so far, so my nearest 10 are still fairly close. Should clear the list over the next few weeks though since I've now finished school.

1. SW 2.9mi - Puzzle cache that I've solved but not been to look for yet.

2. W 3.2mi - Bit of a cycle to get to this one.

3. W 3.2mi - As #2.

4. NW 3.3mi - As #2.

5. W 3.3mi - As #2.

6. SW 3.4mi - In a forest which you have to buy a permit to cycle in, so haven't got round to doing it yet.

7. W 3.5mi - As #2.

8. SW 3.6mi - As #6.

9. NW 3.6mi - As #2.

10. W 3.7mi - As #2.

So it seems the primary reason is laziness at the moment :anitongue:

Edited by Spnoo

It's a bit like the Eurovision Song contest, our votes are...........................

In first place.

2.6 miles Requires WiFi, do not have WiFi

7.5 miles Event is not until July, so having patience is required

8.3 miles Dr Quinns very steep hill, parking difficult

8.5 miles Very Steep Hill

8.7 miles Has no appeal

9.1 miles On edge of a cliff after Steep Hill climb

9.3 miles Puzzle cache cannot decipher the code in order to complete it worse luck

9.4 miles Another steep hill

9.6 miles Has no appeal

and in last place at,

9.7 miles Another steep Hill

We are just not lovers of steep hills as can be seen and it is fairly hilly around these parts. No not Welsh mountains we agree, but still steep enough. :laughing::laughing::anitongue::laughing:

With the found and ignore filter list on, these are our closest 10.

4.7 miles - in local park, we know where it is but haven't actually gone and found it yet

5.5 miles - We don't have any swaps that would fit with the theme and the boys would want swaps from that box, their kind of thing

9.1 miles - Not a road we often drive, always seem to go north

10.2 miles - Saving it for a nice evening, friends live very close and we plan to stroll across together

10.2 miles (other direction) - Up a hill near where Mr Incredible works, spends too much time there not keen to go back in his time off

10.3 miles - tried to find it twice, no luck, will maybe go for 3rd time lucky sometime

13.1 miles - cycling one, need to buy a bike rack !!!

13.4 miles - down a steep muddy slope and too busy to explore when we were last there

13.9 miles - Just not got round to it yet

14 miles - Not sure we fancy doing this one, but am so undecided about it, it hasn't made it to the ignore list yet.

Carol

x

Our top 10 are all less than 9 miles away

3 of them are temporarily unavailable

1 is a webcam cache and we've not got around to arranging for someone to be saving the image

1 was only placed today

1 we've tried and failed at due to muggle activity

4 we've just not been in that direction to do them yet

Lisa

I have a deal with Boba that we only do local (up to 1 hour away) caches together. In reality that means we tend to pick off ones less than 20 minutes away when muggle daughter is not being picked up and Jango, Boba & Yoda can grab one or two on the way home from school. Caching escapades to Wales, Essex and the New Forests tend to be Jango and Yoda (particularly if big walkies are involved). So that in mind here are our top 10:

1. 6.6 km - new traditional cache
  2. 6.9 km - Treasure Island GCD182 - possibly the hardest cache to reach in East Anglia because after you solve the first 4 stages you then have a 1 hour journey by rowing boat/canoe to do to reach it. It is possibly the top rated cache in East Angia, we have solved the first four stages and we plan to be the first to visit since tomtomgogo in August last year.
  3. 9.4 km - nice little puzzle/multi that is being kept in reserve
  4. 9.5 km - new Art Gallery theme cache - we loved Cook's Choice GCM8AJ in Wales so until we have produced some decent art this will have to wait.
  5. 9.9 km - traditional cache that we keep forgetting to visit
  6. 11.3 km - a revamped cache which we ftf 35 mins after it went live first time round, so now laying low
  7. 11.8 km - new traditional
  8. 15.5 km - an isolated cache which we plan to visit when placing one of our own in the next couple of weeks
  9. 17.7 km - another isolated cache, the 4th oldest in Norfolk. I think its a case of "don't go out on the marshes tonight or Black Shuck will get thee!"
  10. 17.8 km - temporarily archived as contents there but cache container has been muggled, no honestly, its true, tupperware is valuable round these parts! :ninja:

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

You'll be pleased to know - ( well I am :ninja: ) that the cache I described as my closest unfound due to it being so close it was missed when doing other caching trips - has now been found by me. The appalling weather today had me off looking for new cache locations and I took the opportunity to do the closest too.

And well worth it it was too !

civilised - still worried about all those hills :)

1. 0.7miNE - Newish Trad I've just got to go and pick-off as I'm passing!

2. 2miS - Multi I'm saving for a rainy day (when it's not too rainy).

3. 2.5miE - As above, but older cache. No excuses, I really must get around to doing this one.

4. 2.7miSE - Newish Trad I've got to have a look for when I'm on that side of town.

5. 2.8miSE - As above!

6. 2.8miE - As above, but a little older. Will all get picked-off on a bored day when the sun's out.

7. 2.9miSE - As above, but newer again.

8. 4.1miN - Very new Trad close to one of my caches, so I'll check it out when I'm checking on my own cache.

9. 4.7miSE - New 5star puzzle I have little to no chance of getting my head around.

10. 5.1miSW - Slightly older, but also rather tricky looking puzzle cache, close to several others I need to do too.

I really need to tick off some of these local ones. :ninja:

1. 15.8mi NE - multi - been temp unavailable since 19 Feb 06. It's been muggled.

2. 16.5mi NE - puzzle - did the other one in this NT area but onsite realised this one is to do with NBA sports and needed some research on the net first - duh! Have the right info now but have done all the other caches in that area.

3. 17.5mi E - easy trad - one of the few left to clear up on Cannock Chase

4. 18.3mi E - trad - last one in the Road To Wrekin series - never seem to get round to this one as we've done all the other nearby caches

5. 18.4mi NE - trad - saving for a trip to Stoke and SE Cheshire

6. 18.4mi NE - multi - saving for a trip to Stoke and SE Cheshire

7. 18.7mi E - trad - need to find two other caches to get co-ords and one of those is miles away

8. 18.8mi NE - saving for a trip to Stoke and SE Cheshire

9. 19.1mi E - multi - one of the few left to clear up on Cannock Chase

10. 19.1mi SW - trad - big hill in S Shrops - been avoiding these as we're not big fans of hill walking - will do one day (prob summer and on a nice day)

3.4mi Mystery hidden on 13 May 06

5.4mi Mult hidden on 3 Apr 05

6mi Traditional hidden on 29 Jan 06

6.1mi Traditional hidden on 1 May 06

6.1mi Traditional hidden on 1 May 06

6.1mi Multi hidden on 9 May 06

6.3mi Traditional hidden on 21 May 06

6.3mi Traditional hidden on 14 Apr 06

6.4mi Multi hidden on 12 Mar 06

6.5mi Traditional hidden on 1 May 06

6.5mi Traditional hidden on 1 May 06

As you can see, we've not had a chance to get out much in the last couple of months, what with busy weekends! Now that a certain wedding has happened, and after my mum's birthday in June, we should be able to get out and clear some of these soon!

not too bad though!

We've got quite a few unfound caches which are only 4.5, 6 or 7 miles away. Why? Because they're across the other side of the Bristol Channel

...Same for us - lots of 'local' caches showing as just a few miles away could be up to two hours drive if we have to drive 'around' the dee estuary! So my 'local' page will never quite be right.

...Most other local unfounds are Puzzle caches, which we seem to have a lot of on the Wirral but I'm not the biggest fan of them. Also, we seemed to hit a turning point last year where the number of new caches places exceeded our monthly find rate!

James

Here's the list of my 10 nearest caches that I haven't found...

1. 5.7 miles NW - Traditional - Placed 21 Apr 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :D
  2. 5.8 miles S - Multi - Placed 11 Mar 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :D
  3. 6 miles W - Traditional - Placed 4 May 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :ph34r:
  4. 6.3 miles NW - Traditional - Placed 7 May 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :ph34r:
  5. 8.6 miles SE - Unknown cache - Placed 22 Mar 06 - Can't work out the puzzle! :)
  6. 8.7 miles SE - Unknown cache - Placed 24 Feb 06 - Have looked but couldn't find, cache now temporarily disabled :)
  7. 8.9 miles W - Multi - Placed 13 May 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :huh:
  8. 9.2 miles NW - Traditional - Placed 4 May 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :huh:
  9. 11.4 miles W - Unknown cache - Placed 20 Apr 06 - Bonus cache for the Multi below...
  10. 11.4 miles W - Multi - Placed 20 Apr 06 - Just not got round to doing it yet :(

I do plan on getting them at some point, with the possible exception of the Unknown puzzle cache 8.6 miles away :) Have been caching further afield of lately and haven't done any local caches for a while.

Edited by Nediam