Multi Stage Cache

This has probably been discussed before but I would like to get up to date thoughts on it.

I have a cache placement in mind that involves a distance of some miles between the stages of a multi. It is complex to set up and involves approaches to more than one relevent land authority. I don't intend to go into a lot of detail as that would 'give it all away'. My basic question is, what is the feeling of the group regarding spread out multi caches... This one would involve a drive between stages. I think it would be satisfying to complete but this kind of thing would not work for those simply looking to 'up the cache count'. I suppose that applies to all multi's to an extent 'though.

What would be a reasonable limit to distance between stages? Is this a problem in any case? Bottom line, should this stay in my mind or should I go ahead and work on it?

This has probably been discussed before but I would like to get up to date thoughts on it.

I have a cache placement in mind that involves a distance of some miles between the stages of a multi. It is complex to set up and involves approaches to more than one relevent land authority. I don't intend to go into a lot of detail as that would 'give it all away'. My basic question is, what is the feeling of the group regarding spread out multi caches... This one would involve a drive between stages. I think it would be satisfying to complete but this kind of thing would not work for those simply looking to 'up the cache count'. I suppose that applies to all multi's to an extent 'though.

What would be a reasonable limit to distance between stages? Is this a problem in any case? Bottom line, should this stay in my mind or should I go ahead and work on it?

Sorry I messed this up. Sont do it much. Anyway we have on that is 10 miles or so between parts of a multicache. I did it and it was worth it!!! I do wish the person who lplaced it would have let us know that it was that far apart. The last place was really nice.

I've done a couple of drive-between-stage multicaches. You can expect fewer people to hunt them. One was about a ten-mile trip of five stages. And it lead me home! But I knew beforehand that it required driving. The other was a two-stage multi, with five miles between stages. I don't think that anyone has finished it in one day. The distance came as a surprise.

If you have a reason for the drive, it could be fun. A trip to five WallyWorlds would probably make people hate you. <_<

You need to expect that relatively few people will attempt a multi and even fewer if it means most of a day used up for only one smiley face. It's the nature of the game today...

You know it's funny about caches like these. We think nothing of hopping into a car and power cache the entire day. However if we see a multi that involves driving more than one mile it is shunned like the plague even though that cache has numerous sidetrips (trad caches) that are on that route. Numbers aren't important, it's how you get there

You might want to run this idea past your local reviewer, just to get their two cents, before you go through all the work involved in setting it up. I haven't found anything in the guidelines which specifically addresses distance between multi sections, but I had some communication with our reviewer regarding a cache series I set up.

The initial concept involved 5 ammo cans, hidden between 5 & 10 miles apart. Mostly driving, with short hikes. The player was to have gone to the 1st stage, aquire some puzzle pieces, get the coords for stage two, and continue. At the second stage, they get more pieces, and the coords for stage 3, etc, etc. After obtaining pieces from the first 4 stages, they would assemble the puzzle pieces to obtain the final coords.

Our reviewer thought that this concept would make it a multi, even though it was 5 seperate cache pages, and expressed a concern over the distance between the stages of a multi. He offered some good advice on how I should present it.