Cache Idea

Okay, I think ALL threads that start "I have this idea for a cache ..." and end with "Has anyone done this before?" have been done before. This will probably not be an exception to the rule. My idea:

Cache Name: Rabbit, Rabbit.

Logging Restriction: Log on the 1st Day of the month.

See Wikipedia entry here.

I will make the logging restriction a very strong suggestion but will not delete logs that don't comply.

Okay, has anyone done this before? (or similar).

Edited by Tharagleb

For whatever it's worth, having looked at many thousands of cache pages as a player and as a cache reviewer, I've never seen this particular idea. And because of the restriction, it's likely that such a cache would have been discussed by the reviewers. We are talking right now about a cache with far more restrictive logging requirements.

Personally I think the idea is fine. The first day of the month is not an impermissible restriction, like "only people who have met me can log this cache," or "only star bellied sneetches can log this cache."

I'm afraid SUGGESTING people only log a cache on certain days probably would not work. Folks from out of town might miss the chance to be nearby on the 1st, and the first of the month often falls on a weekday when folks are at work. You could certainly try it, though.

Okay, I think ALL threads that start "I have this idea for a cache ..." and end with "Has anyone done this before?" have been done before. This will probably not be an exception to the rule. My idea:

Cache Name: Rabbit, Rabbit.

Logging Restriction: Log on the 1st Day of the month.

See Wikipedia entry here.

I will make the logging restriction a very strong suggestion but will not delete logs that don't comply.

Okay, has anyone done this before? (or similar).

Never seen it done but I'm curious to what the overall intention would be for doing it might be? If it is to be different for the sake of being different, then you are proabably on to something. If it is to have very few visitors to your cache, it's definately going to help there.

One thing that you may or may not have considered with a restriction like this is security. When you are suggesting such a narrow window of opportunity and not offering a very solid reason for it on your cache page, it's going to scare away some of the finders that are in fact able to cache on the day you are requesting. Are you hiding in the bushes waiting? Be sure you provide a very good and non-creepy reason for your rule.

My work doesn't like Wikepedia so I can't figure out what you are trying to accomplish.

My one piece of advice on logging rules is two fold.

If you can at all set up the cache so that you comply with the restrictions before you can even find the cache (and without wikipedia I can't see to tell) you are better off. However if you can't, enforce the rules so that those who honor your wishes are not short changed by the throngs who insist on playing their own way with no regard for the cache owner and other cachers who did things right.

My work doesn't like Wikepedia so I can't figure out what you are trying to accomplish.

My one piece of advice on logging rules is two fold.

If you can at all set up the cache so that you comply with the restrictions before you can even find the cache (and without wikipedia I can't see to tell) you are better off. However if you can't, enforce the rules so that those who honor your wishes are not short changed by the throngs who insist on playing their own way with no regard for the cache owner and other cachers who did things right.

I'm curious the intentions of this cache also. What would prevent someone from finding the cache any ol' day and just logging it on the first of the month? I think the only cache I've seen with some kindof "time" restriction like this was an old webcam cache where you had to be there at sunrise and get your picture/screenshot. But that at least proves you were there a given time...

Edited by ThePropers

I've never seen finding the cache restricted to a single date, but I've seen similar restrictions. One was a "milestone" cache that could only be found on your birthday, geo-anniversary date (when you signed up on this website), anniversary of your first find, wedding anniversary, etc...

I think it's cool. Or at least pretty original. It's just a way of educating folks about an old superstition. Sure, only locals (and the odd lucky traveller) would be able to truly comply with the spirit of the cache. He did say he wouldn't outright delete those who didn't follow the rule...

But it's DIFFERENT. Isn't that reason enough to say "go for it"?

Although I'm not generally a fan of restricted logging requirements, this would be fun if you could get the locals in on it (maybe by saying that logging this cache on the 1st will give you good caching luck, and logging it on another day -- watch out!

For those that cannot see it, or don't want to click the link, here's the text from Wikipedia:

"Rabbit rabbit" is a common superstition, held particularly among children. The most common modern version states that a person should say "rabbit, rabbit" upon waking on the first day of each new month, and on doing so will receive good luck for the remainder of that month.

Origins and history

The exact origin of the superstition is unknown, though it has appeared in print at least as early as 1920 in England, where it is most commonly said to have originated, though some reports place its origins even earlier, into the 1800s. Today it has spread to most of the English-speaking countries of the world, although like all folklore, determining its exact area of distribution is difficult. The superstition is related to the broader belief in the rabbit or hare being a "lucky" animal, as exhibited in the practice of carrying a rabbit's foot for luck.

Variations

As with most folklore, which is traditionally spread by word of mouth, there are numerous variant versions of the "rabbit, rabbit" superstition, in some cases specific to a certain time period or region. There are hundreds of variants, some of the most common of which include...

The inverse: instead of believing that saying it will bring good luck, believing that not saying it will bring bad luck.

Instead of saying "rabbit, rabbit", saying just "rabbit", or "rabbits". Some also extend it to three rabbits: "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit," which has some of the earliest written references.

The earliest referenced usage may be to saying "rabbits" three times before going to sleep the last night of the month, and then "hares" three times first thing upon waking, though just two years later, it was three "rabbits" in the morning with no "hares" at all.

Using the night of the new moon (traditionally the first day of the lunar month) instead of the first night of the month.

Saying "black rabbits" the night before, and "white rabbits" on the morning in question.

Believing that the effect is stronger on one's month of birth.

Referring to the first day of each month as "Rabbit Day".

Various ways to counteract forgetting to say it, most commonly saying it backwards ("tibbar, tibbar") before falling asleep.

A different but related practice of saying "Happy White Rabbit's Day" to someone in order to bring good luck.

Making "rabbit, rabbit" be the last words said on the last of the month and the first words said on the first of the month.

One variation involves an element of competition: Saying "rabbit, rabbit" to another person on the first of the month entitles the speaker to the luck of the listener for the duration of the month.

Traditions also extend to saying on the first of each month: 'A pinch and a punch for the first day of the month; white rabbit!' White rabbit is declared to be the 'no returns' policy on the 'pinch and the punch' the receiver felt. Origins of this saying is unknown.

My reasons for doing this are two-fold:

- To be different

- To have a little fun

I have no intention of preventing logging on other days, it is just a suggestion. The idea is to have fun with it and arrange a trip on that specific day. I got the idea because I did two caches on a specific day.

- Significance of May the 3rd (I did on May 3rd)

- Vermont Veteran's (I did on Veteran's Day)

May the 3rd is the anniversary of the first cache. I thought a cache that required you to log on a specific day of the year would be too restrictive. My wife's family used to say "Rabbit, Rabbit" on the 1st of each month, hence the idea was formed.

Thanks for all of your replies/suggestions/comments.

Now that I've looked it up in Wikipedia and actually read the first post...

It might be simpler to say that anyone who logs/finds this cache on the first day of the month has to use "Rabbit Rabbit" in their log. Everone else is home free so to speak.

That's simpler still, and exposes people to a superstition that I'd never heard of before (which this thread did for me...).

Worst case scenerio, 20 people find it on the first of Month and log in...reading the instructions next group plans for the first of the next month..... 2nd day of month till end of month the cache is muggled and you have a group of unhappy chachers the next first...

Just a thought

If I understand the superstition correctly, there is no punishment for not saying "rabbit rabbit", only good luck if you do.

So why not take that as a cue and say that they can log it any time, but it's good luck to do it on the 1st of the month?

Use positive re-enforcement instead of negative.

Being "different" is just stupid sometimes and I think it applies here. This is just the sort of cache I'd like to muggle, just to be different...

Why so hostile? I am not preventing anyone from logging the find, just suggesting they do it on a specific day.

If I understand the superstition correctly, there is no punishment for not saying "rabbit rabbit", only good luck if you do.

So why not take that as a cue and say that they can log it any time, but it's good luck to do it on the 1st of the month?

Use positive re-enforcement instead of negative.

The point is that if people did it correctly then the people who did it incorrectly should have to make up for that somehow. I was kidding when I said "punishment", I don't think having to write a haiku is all that bad.

For whatever it's worth, having looked at many thousands of cache pages as a player and as a cache reviewer, I've never seen this particular idea. And because of the restriction, it's likely that such a cache would have been discussed by the reviewers. We are talking right now about a cache with far more restrictive logging requirements.

Personally I think the idea is fine. The first day of the month is not an impermissible restriction, like "only people who have met me can log this cache," or "only star bellied sneetches can log this cache."

BTW, thanks Keystone for this response, I am glad you didn't call my idea stupid. :)

Star bellied sneetches?

BTW, thanks Keystone for this response, I am glad you didn't call my idea stupid. :)

Star bellied sneetches?

It's Seussical:

"Dr. Seuss

The Sneetches

Now, the Star-Bell Sneetches had bellies with stars.

The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars.

Those stars weren’t so big. They were really so small

You might think such a thing wouldn’t matter at all.

But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches

Would brag, “We’re the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches.”

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they’d snort

“We’ll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!”

And, whenever they met some, when they were out walking,

They’d hike right on past them without even talking. ".......

I think it's a different idea, and as long as it's an interesting hide in a nice location then go for it.

As to the Haiku-I've seen several literary styled cache, including a series in JAX we did last year that included haiku, limerick, and logs that had to start "it was a dark and stormy night..." There is also a fun version of The Never Ending Story in Western NC.

Edited by wimseyguy

I've never seen finding the cache restricted to a single date, but I've seen similar restrictions.

I've got 2 that come to mind...

Saguaro Sundial Sunset

Saguaro Sundial Sunrise

Thanks, that is the kind of thing I was looking for.

I would like to make a couple of points here:

1) The main theme of the cache is to request (NOT require) logging on a specific day.

2) "Rabbit, Rabbit" is not the main theme, but a possible, or even probable, implementation of the cache.

3) Some other task will be given to those who do not log on the specific today, it will not be too difficult.

4) I won't delete any Found logs regardless.

Right now I am taking ideas for #3.

On a side note I think that anyone who threatens to muggle someone else's caches in the forums should be banned.

[Edit: typo]

Edited by Tharagleb

I'm still kicking around an idea for a puzzle that would require the cacher to be in a certain place at a certain time to get info on how to find the final cache. Buuuut right now that's all I got. The specifics will sort themselves out over time, I'm sure. I'm in no hurry.

Had you wanted to go in the direction of making this cache findable only on that one day, but went wihh the logging suggestion instead because of the logistics of such an idea? Just curious.

[...snip...]

3) Some other task will be given to those who do not log on the specific today, it will not be too difficult.

Right now I am taking ideas for #3.

Put a pair of fuzzy bunny ears in the cache. Cachers who don't find it on the appropriate day are requested to put on the bunny ears and dance the Bunny Hop. Photos of cachers engaging in this "penalty phase" silliness are warmly encouraged, but not required.

My previous comments contain no hostility or threats, though such ideas could be falsely presumed by anyone so inclined. Adding unusual logging requirements (or suggestions) doesn't make a cache different, nor is difference for it's own sake a virtue, as I have clearly demonstrated. I do believe Clan Delaney's idea could lead to an interesting cache.

I'm still kicking around an idea for a puzzle that would require the cacher to be in a certain place at a certain time to get info on how to find the final cache. Buuuut right now that's all I got. The specifics will sort themselves out over time, I'm sure. I'm in no hurry.

Had you wanted to go in the direction of making this cache findable only on that one day, but went wihh the logging suggestion instead because of the logistics of such an idea? Just curious.

No, I didn't want to make it findable only on the one day.

Put a pair of fuzzy bunny ears in the cache. Cachers who don't find it on the appropriate day are requested to put on the bunny ears and dance the Bunny Hop. Photos of cachers engaging in this "penalty phase" silliness are warmly encouraged, but not required.

:rolleyes: I LOVE it! <_<

LOL

edit: maybe a little fuzzy cotton tail too! :unsure:

Edited by headybrew

:P I LOVE it! :P

LOL

edit: maybe a little fuzzy cotton tail too! :(

Yeah, I love it too. ;)

Another thought I had (suggested by the "positive reincforcement" posts) was to give a geocoin to the first person to log a find on the 1st of each month.

I would like to reiterate: I have no desire for a logging requirement. I want to encourage people to visit a cache on a specific day.

I also understand that different is not necessarily good. I have enjoyed many caches because they were different, though.

;) I LOVE it! :P

LOL

edit: maybe a little fuzzy cotton tail too! :(

That's very good and much better than the restrictive dates! Heck, I'd put a watch on that one for the pics alone.

First use of forum ignore feature, man that is sweet! :P It actually removes all the angst from the thread.

Okay, voting enabled:

1) Bunny ears if you log on a date other than the 1st.

2) Geocoins for each FTF on the 1st of the month

3) Both?

4) None of the above.

1) The main theme of the cache is to request (NOT require) logging on a specific day.

2) "Rabbit, Rabbit" is not the main theme, but a possible, or even probable, implementation of the cache.

I'd be cool with that.

2) Geocoins for each FTF on the 1st of the month

Far be it from me to talk someone out of geocoins as prizes - after all, Barre's only about a 3.5 hour drive from my place. (Let's see - if I set the coffee machine to start up at 2:00 am, I could be there and back again in time to be only a little bit late for work... :P)

But, just speaking for myself here, I'd be equally happy if I did this on the first and came away with an inexpensive-but-unique memento related to the cache, like a simple button. (I've done several caches that had buttons as prizes, and I wouldn't trade a single one for all the WJTBs in the world. :( Random "Rabbit, Rabbit" example:

rabbit_rabbit.png